Conflict in deep South must not be seen as a religious war

rooster59

Conflict in deep South must not be seen as a religious war

BANGKOK: Controversial remarks by a monk on his facebook page are symptomatic of the wider perception in the country

A senior monk from a respected temple in Bangkok has been told to put a lid on his recent statement, billed as 'hate speech' by various sectors of Thai society.

Late last month, Phra Apichart Punnajanto posted on his Facebook page: "If a Buddhist monk dies from being shot at, or from an explosion in the South at the hands of Malayu bandits, a mosque should be burned, starting from the northern part of Thailand southwards."

"Malayu bandits" refers to Muslim insurgents fighting the Thai state in the three southernmost provinces and four districts in Songkhla where about 80 per cent of the 2 million people identify themselves as Malay.

Armed insurgency surfaced in the 1960s and after a period of quiet unease in the late 1980s and early 1990s resurfaced again in late 2001.

Academics and observers agree the separatist insurgency is ethno-nationalist in nature, and not a religious one.

But many in the country, like Phra Apichart, view it as a religious conflict.

Following pressure from the authorities and the Supreme Sangha Council, Phra Apichart decided to close his Facebook account for the time being.

But if the "Buddhist people call me back, I shall return," he was reported as saying.

Frustration runs high throughout the country, as this wave of violence has created havoc for more than a decade now and a solution is nowhere in sight.

Peace talks between the government and some of the rebel groups have been initiated but no meaningful progress has been made. Hence frustration among people in all areas.

However, this should not become an excuse to twist facts, like what Phra Apichart did, by billing it as a religious conflict.

Sad to say, the conflict in this historically contested region has been used as an excuse to push a certain political agenda. This includes the push by Buddhist nationalists who want to make Buddhism the state religion and want this to be enshrined in the country's next constitution.

No one is really sure how designating Buddhism a state religion will enhance the religion given the likelihood of interface from the authorities in the Sangha's affairs.

If Buddhism is to grow and strengthen in Thailand, it should be the work of society, not the state.

Monk Apichart's crusade against the Muslim South is also based on wrong facts. First of all, most of the 6,500 insurgency-related deaths in the region are of Malay Muslims.

Monks getting killed by insurgents grab national attention. But no one says anything when an imam or an Islamic religious leader gets eliminated by government forces.

Monk Apichart's statement disturbingly resembled the hardline position taken up by monks in Myanmar, where practically every politician from all walks of life refused to challenge their anti-Muslim campaign for fear of losing votes.

While Phra Apichart is not in the same league as Myanmar ultra-nationalist monk Ashin Wirathu, the head of the anti-Muslim campaign throughout Myanmar, his overall message should be a point of concern.

Even before his Facebook post last month, anti-Islam sentiment in various pockets of Thailand has already taken shape.

Residents in Nan province, as well as communities along the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai road, for example, successfully prevented local Muslims from building a community mosque, saying they do not want to see their community turn into a war zone like the deep South.

They fail to grasp the fact that the conflict in the far South is an ethno-nationalist one and ignore that Muslims in other parts of Thailand are loyal citizens.

This misunderstanding and hatred does not emerge out of a vacuum. Much of it is shaped by news reports that do not give an accurate picture of the conflict in the far South.

Moreover, the shallow and simplistic picture of the situation in the restive region provided by government officials only adds fuel to the fire.

In this respect, the state is not without blame. They must share the blame for this anti-Islam sentiment because of their unwillingness and inability to grasp the crux of the problem and challenges they face.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Conflict-in-deep-South-must-not-be-seen-as-a-relig-30272481.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-08

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody that says that the relentless killing in the south is not a mostly a religion war should have his head

examined, in every war and conflict it is the rules of engagement that you don't kill clergymen of the opposition,

and here we see many Buddhist monks are mad a primary target,

the insurgents are Muslim, and for a Muslim other regions means nothing, no respect and no mercy, and any

body is a fair target, for them, this is a holy war, and is such permissible to kill all, monks, old people, women

and children, just look at ISIL is doing, and the terrorist in the south are no different...

Go ask the people in the South if it a religious war. Or is it just coincidence that those doing the killing are all muslims ?.

Why do we not get any articles like this criticising the Muslims and their leaders ?. I don't think I ever saw a single one.

It's the same with Israel : we only ever get reports of what their army did - but a quick search with google shows the many ongoing terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians which simply try to murder as many as possible. Women, children - anyone.

Why are Muslims allowed to murder other faiths repeatedly with almost no comment at all - yet this monk who didn't even advocate killing gets such attention ?.

Why do I have to search the internet to find out what ISIS are doing - then be shocked at the barbarity of it ?. Why doesn't it even make the news ?.

Why does a terrorist bomb in a market in Iraq which kills dozens barley make the BBC news website front page, but a soldier who finished off a wounded extremist combatant after a firefight is all over the media and he gets life in prison ?.,

Just for the record, I don't agree with his idea. I'm just sick of the one-sided reporting.

Go ask the people in the South if it a religious war. Or is it just coincidence that those doing the killing are all muslims ?.

Why do we not get any articles like this criticising the Muslims and their leaders ?. I don't think I ever saw a single one.

It's the same with Israel : we only ever get reports of what their army did - but a quick search with google shows the many ongoing terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians which simply try to murder as many as possible. Women, children - anyone.

Why are Muslims allowed to murder other faiths repeatedly with almost no comment at all - yet this monk who didn't even advocate killing gets such attention ?.

Why do I have to search the internet to find out what ISIS are doing - then be shocked at the barbarity of it ?. Why doesn't it even make the news ?.

Why does a terrorist bomb in a market in Iraq which kills dozens barley make the BBC news website front page, but a soldier who finished off a wounded extremist combatant after a firefight is all over the media and he gets life in prison ?.,

Just for the record, I don't agree with his idea. I'm just sick of the one-sided reporting.

Well said brother.

quote"Residents in Nan province, as well as communities along the Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai road, for example, successfully prevented local Muslims from building a community mosque, saying they do not want to see their community turn into a war zone like the deep South."

This is a ray of hope. It seems that common sense has prevailed and people are seeing the religious movement for what it really is. A conquering tribe waging a war of attrition. Well done the northern communities, your children and families can sleep safely for a few more years until the places of worship/hate factories are finally built. This result could not have happened in Europe where these-days it is a criminal offense to express doubts about the destruction of society. Luckily most allied soldiers from WW2 have passed away, if they saw what their grandchildren's generation did with their (pyrrhic)victory they would be devastated. Their ideals of freedom and constructive society would have been better served with an Axis victory.

For a start, the killing in the deep South are not all carried out by Muslims. The majority killed are Muslim, about 60%. which I assume to be a mixture of killing of those disagreeing with the militants, business disputes and by security forces / vigilantes.

http://www.deepsouthwatch.org/node/5904

The article below, one of many easily located, really does underline the futility of a primarily military response.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Insurgents-in-Thailands-deep-South-ruled-by-heart--30248404.html

The complexity of trying to talk with the Muslim leadership who keep out of the media limelight is talked to below.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707534-deep-south-talks-a-fresh-attempt-to-revive-the-corpse/

BTW many do not seem to be aware of the drug intoxicated "boys with guns" who it is claimed are the main culprits for the Muslim violence; the Juwae.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-strange-thai-insurgents-who-like-sorcery-and-get-high-on-cough-syrup/275614/

Journalist coverage of Daesh barbarity is a challenge as nearly all media organisation pulled out of Syria due to the number of journalists being killed, mostly now respond to Daesh social media reports, interviews with cross border refugees and government briefings. You could ask the same type of questions you pose on why there is relatively little coverage of the conflict in the Ukraine with about one million displaced refugees with more deaths, in a shorter period of time, than in the deep South.

Edited by simple1

who knows what the conflict is about, I have never seen any in depth coverage by Thai media on the issue and the politicians, police and army all give varying accounts depending on the time of day. it seems to me that this area is purposely kept in a lawless state so that it can used for various commercial activities that otherwise wouldnt be possible, such as people, drug and illegal timber trafficking.

Edited by phycokiller

Anybody that says that the relentless killing in the south is not a mostly a religion war should have his head

examined, in every war and conflict it is the rules of engagement that you don't kill clergymen of the opposition,

and here we see many Buddhist monks are mad a primary target,

the insurgents are Muslim, and for a Muslim other regions means nothing, no respect and no mercy, and any

body is a fair target, for them, this is a holy war, and is such permissible to kill all, monks, old people, women

and children, just look at ISIL is doing, and the terrorist in the south are no different...

Seeing as the terrorist are fighting for a secular Muslim state, it sort of indicates that direction Ezzra

One religious hate post and subsequent replies have been removed from this thread.

From the Forum Rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

If you went into Utah, and took away all the land, subjugated all the inhabitants as second class citizens, and doled out parcels of that grabbed land to the corrupt powers in the new government, you'd have a Mormon conflict.

If you went into Jamaica and took away all the land...., you'd have a Rastafarian conflict. (That's a little tongue in cheek)

If you went into Rome and took away all the land... you'd have a Catholic conflict.

If you went in to Palestine and took away all the land (in the 1940's)... you'd have a Muslim conflict.

If you went in to Israel and took away all the land (today, anyway)... you'd have a Jewish conflict.

But I wouldn't call any of them a religious conflict.

At root is not religion but a competition for resources, as in any conflict. In these situations, pride quickly becomes the proximate driver. The Muslims in the south are responding to, and magnifying, the sense of damage inflicted on their own identity, which is largely rooted in religion. Hence the damage inflicted on Buddhism.

It's no good getting into a spiral of blame and hostility. In the south they have been held in disdain so long that they no longer have any allegience to the rest of the country. The fact is that Thais are inveterately ethno-centric, presumably as a result of the political insecurity that stems from a traditional autocratic (non-democratic) system.

The solution is, in the first place, for Thailand to move towards a real democracy. The second step (and a corollory of the first) is to render society more equal by better education and economic growth. This enables the third step, which is to give the South enough respect and autonomy.

It's a long hard road. In the meantime, anything that helps salve the pride of the Muslims in the south will help.

I am available for the position of Secretary-General of the UN.

Edited by ddavidovsky

Muslims in South Thailand are only doing what they do everywhere to other religious groups when they reach a certain percentage of the population.

How did Islam spread from the Middle East around the globe in the first place? They offered the indigenous peoples of the countries they invaded three choices: convert to Islam, pay huge taxes, or die.

Nowadays, of course, they have a new way of spreading around the world thanks to liberal/leftist governments.

Muslims in South Thailand are only doing what they do everywhere to other religious groups when they reach a certain percentage of the population.

How did Islam spread from the Middle East around the globe in the first place? They offered the indigenous peoples of the countries they invaded three choices: convert to Islam, pay huge taxes, or die.

Nowadays, of course, they have a new way of spreading around the world thanks to liberal/leftist governments.

The Muslims in the areas of the South where this conflict is taking place have always been the majority, both prior to and after the occupation of their independent state by the Thai state.

I thought Buddhism was already the state religion here. Plenty of Buddhist holidays celebrated, with plenty of gripes from expats over bars being closed. Don't recall any Muslim, Christian (not even Christmas), Jewish or any other religions holidays being observed here.

Muslims have legit gripes here, not to condone killings. Recall some years back 70+ Muslims loaded into overcrowded truck left in sun and allowed to die. Punishment for military man was a transfer.

If you follow the money that fuels this conflict (plus most other muslim terrorist) you will end up somewhere in Saudi, with their minions in KL doing the dirty groundwork.

You would probably be nearer to the mark if you referenced corrupt Thai security officials collaborating with the smuggling gangs that feed the funding for the conflict - a number were arrested a few months back