ATM fees rise again

Overnight Thai banks quietly raised the ATM fees for foreign cards to 200 baht. As if they went gouging enough. Tried kbank and then gsb both stated 200 baht fee. Guess I will use other avenues to get my money. These fees are prohibitive in my opinion. I guess we will now hear from the Thai apologists to justify these excessively large fees. Seriously though, it doesn't really affect me as my us bank reimburses my fees, still not fair though.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charging 5€/6USD seems quite high. I don't remember even paying separate withdrawal fees within Europe or when I lived in Hong Kong and London (just the usual rip-off with exchange rate).

Can't remember how it is in neighbouring countries, does anyone know?

Thankfully, I have a thai bank account so no need to think about this nonsense. Of course, eventually getting all the money out of Thailand. That is another story.

Well, about 20 years ago Siam commercial bank wanted to charge me 100 baht a year. I cancelled my cashpoint card and do all transactions face to face to this day

Wow...100 bath per year....those shameless profiteers ! Is there no moral line they will not cross ?

Well, about 20 years ago Siam commercial bank wanted to charge me 100 baht a year. I cancelled my cashpoint card and do all transactions face to face to this day

That was a normal ATM card fee - this is a per use fee for anyone having a foreign card and using it in Thailand being charged by banks here as an additional transaction charge. And then, as if that is not enough, some also try to coerce uses into using there local DCC rate of exchange to further make coin from the tourist tap.

It's easy, have a thai bank account.

That works if you are employed here and generate cash for that account. or you have a stash in your mattress. But if you intend to transfer monies from your foreign account, there is also a transfer fee up front.

It's easy, have a thai bank account.

That works if you are employed here and generate cash for that account. or you have a stash in your mattress. But if you intend to transfer monies from your foreign account, there is also a transfer fee up front.

The transfer fee from HSBC UK is GBP 4 per transaction, the receiving charge is typically under THB 500, there are no intermediary charges. Cost effective enough if done say twice a year and reliant thereafter on local Thai banks.

So anyone who answers your post and tries to explain the what and the why of the price increase is a Thai apologist, get a life!

No, get a thai bank account. It's easy, so please stop whining about a few bob.

Ps. I've got a great life thanks (and a thai bank account).

Edited by roo860

A cut and paste/partial quotefrom the Bangkok Bank webpage/pdf document regarding certain fees...unfortunately, this document is only provided in Thai and the PDF image format so Google translate can not translate it. It says the new and improve (higher) fees are effective 9 Nov 15. Even with it being in Thai you can see Visa and Mastercard foreign cards will now have a Bt200 fee. About a year ago Bangkok Bank stopped providing some of their fees docs in English and Thai...now only Thai for some of the fee docs...guess that helps to keep farang in the dark better on certain fees.

The statement talking Bt150 I asked my Thai wife to tell me what it means in English and she couldn't really give me an answer I understood. Maybe that dealt with non-Visa and non-Mastercard type electronic cards....electronic cards that didn't carry any specific card network logo. Maybe someone fluent in Thai and English can translate it for us.

I notice the fee for China Union Pay, American Express and Cross Border cards is staying the same at Bt50.

post-55970-0-82160500-1446963306_thumb.j

Another Thai Bankers Assn member, Kaiskorn Bank, wiith its annoucment saying the foreign card fee is increased to Bt200 effective 6 Nov 15.

The Thai Bankers Assn ought to invite some farang customers to their meetings for some customer feedback.

Maybe now that the Thai Bankers Assn has the foreign card ATM use fee at Bt200, which is 10 times higher than the Bt20 fee for a Thai bank issued card used in another Thai bank's ATM, they will be happy (for a year maybe).

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/RatesAndFees/Charges/Pages/Charges.aspx

post-55970-0-42563200-1446965006_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Is AEON in the complot too?

According to their website, as of today they are still at Bt150. They never did go to the Bt180 much less the Bt200 fee...but that's only as of today according to their website...time will tell, but I won't be surprised if they too don't raise to Bt200 in the near future...or maybe they'll go to Bt180. Time will tell.

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/en/fee-payment/aeon-atm-fee

post-55970-0-66675200-1446965549_thumb.j

Getting pretty crazy...so I only use an ATM as a last resort.

Tourists are getting double priced, and gouged every which way.

I use XE foreign exchange purchase and have the baht wired here. There are cheaper ways, but this only cost me 21 usd for 3 months worth of baht.....and I get to choose when I want to buy (perhaps wait for a good rate). Can lock in that rate and afford the 7 day transfer. Trick is to always plan ahead, so that atm card never needs to be used.

For my own reasons...I don't want to go direct deposit to a foreign bank.

What a stupid thing to

do just to save ฿100

a year

Edited by YeahSiam

And here's another member of the Thai Bankers Assn, Krungsri Bank, announcing the higher fee for foreign cards effective 6 Nov 15. Below cut and paste/quote from their webiste. Thai banks really like us farangs.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/5cd94db4-dc0f-4ca4-a209-dddbbc5c9e0c/Advance-Notification-06102015-EN.aspx

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

"Thai banks really like us farangs."

Well, firstly it affects all foreign cards, not just 'farang' ones.

Secondly, it is signed off by 'Ms. Jaince Rae Van Ekeren. Acting President and CEO."

Doesn't sound like a Thai name to me.

coffee1.gif

And here's another member of the Thai Bankers Assn, Krungsri Bank, announcing the higher fee for foreign cards effective 6 Nov 15. Below cut and paste/quote from their webiste. Thai banks really like us farangs.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/5cd94db4-dc0f-4ca4-a209-dddbbc5c9e0c/Advance-Notification-06102015-EN.aspx

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

"Thai banks really like us farangs."

Well, firstly it affects all foreign cards, not just 'farang' ones.

Secondly, it is signed off by 'Ms. Jaince Rae Van Ekeren. Acting President and CEO."

Doesn't sound like a Thai name to me.

coffee1.gif

Most likely the ladies married name.

As far as I am aware senior banking positions in Thailand are not open to "foreigners"............