Supporting Documents for Uk visit visa.

I am currently putting together an application for my wife to visit the Uk with me and our children.

Our background.

I am a Uk citizen living in Thailand with my wife and 2 children. Children have Uk and Thai passports so do not need

a visa. We have been married nearly 6 years.

We have just sold a business in Thailand and are currently building a new one so we wish to use this time to visit the UK

for a Xmas break with my family. We will stay at my parents house in the UK and stay there for around 3 weeks.

My wife has been to the Uk for a holiday 4 years ago and left in accordance with that visa.

Supporting documents i will show.

1. Wifes passports current and older ones.

2.Wifes ID card

3. Blue house book to show we live together.

4. Childrens passports and birth certificates.

5.My passport

6.Marraige certificate.

7. Bank book to prove we have the funds to travel.

8 Letter of support from me to explain purpose of trip and how we will fund it.

9. Copy of land the wife owns in Thailand to prove reason to return.

I would be grateful if members could suggest any other documents i might also show to make my application stronger.

last time we travelled i added photos of us together but as we are married and have 2 children im guessing we dont need to prove relationship

other than our marraige certificate and kids birth certificates.

I think you've covered just about everything, in your covering letter I would explain why you are visiting, basically what you've outlined in your post.

Don't include the original passports of you and the kids, just copies, I don't think that their birth certificates are needed, or add anything to the application.

I note that you're staying with family then include a letter/email of an offer of accommodation outlining what accommodation is available to you, no need for photos of the house, mortgage statement etc.

If you're planning to go over the Christmas period, I would be applying pretty soon.

You don't need it for the app but don't forget travel insurance for all of you, you're probably aware that none of you are eligible for free NHS treatment over and above emergency treatment.

• Like 2

Just a little update. I completed the online application on the 9/11 and then tried to book an appointment for the wife. I was surprised but even dates as soon as the next day (10th) were available. I opted for the 11th due to the fact we were waiting for KEY Visa in Pattaya to do some overnight translations for us.

Wife went yesterday and found the VFS staff to be very polite and efficient. Application was lodged, biometrics taken and she was out of there within 1 hour. This VFS service is much better than the previous service at the embassy.

We are now waiting for her passport to be sent back. I will update on the timings when we get it.

Fingers are now crossed!

• Like 1

We always add a letter of support from family member saying we're staying at their house during these dates and attach family members passport so they can be checked if they wish.

The key as I see it is providing your wife will have enough to survive on while she is in the UK and that the reasons why she will be returning to Thailand after the uk holiday (examples, needs to return to work, kids have to go to school, etc).

We always add a letter of support from family member saying we're staying at their house during these dates and attach family members passport so they can be checked if they wish.

The OP has already been advised to include a letter of an offer of accommodation, and replied that he's doing so.

A copy of a family members passport is unnecessary and adds nothing to the application, not everyone holds a valid passport.

• Like 2

I would imagine in a situation like yours, the visa is 100% likely to be granted. The only thing I would have included is evidence of your status in Thailand, such as employment contract or retirement extension.

We are between jobs at the moment having sold a business a few months ago and we are currently building a new one. This was explained in my supporting letter and they can see my spouse visa that i have held for 5 years now.

Actually my wife was twice refused a visa when we first got married 5 years ago, and we went to Tribunal in the Uk

and got the refusal overturned. Well actually the ECO changed their minds 3 days before the Tribunal.We then visited the UK

and the wife left as per her visa.

All of the reasons from that time for refusal are now irrelevant because we have a joint bank account now and the wife

now owns a bit of land and our kids are in school in Thailand but i am still quite nervous as i never expected the refusal 5 years ago.

As i said my fingers are crossed but its not the end of the world.

Edited by daveyravey
  • Like 1

The OP has already been advised to include a letter of an offer of accommodation, and replied that he's doing so.

A copy of a family members passport is unnecessary and adds nothing to the application, not everyone holds a valid passport.

My parents sent an email saying we could stay with them at their house and they have 2 spare rooms. I have printed it and included it in the application with their phone number if the ECO feels the need to check.

Can't comment on the refusals 5 years ago without knowing the full details; and it's water under the bridge now anyway.

However, this application will be judged on it's merits, not on what happened 5 years ago; and as long as your wife has shown she meets the criteria her visa will be granted.

From what you have said:

• Genuine visitor? Yes; visiting UK with her British husband to visit his family.
  • Somewhere to stay while in the UK? Yes.
  • Can afford the visit? Yes, that you are starting up a new business is irrelevant, as long as you have sufficient funds available now to pay for the visit.
  • Will leave the UK at the end of the visit? Yes; you all live together in Thailand and you have provided a copy of your Thai visa and other evidence of this.

Based upon what you have told us, I fully expect that the visa will be issued.

BTW, if the worse does happen and for some reason she is refused, family visit visa refusals no longer have the right of appeal. But I doubt very much that will be an issue in your wife's case.

• Like 1

Sorry to jump in, but i am in a similar situation. The last visa i did for the wife was 3 years ago and i submitted copies of everything: Copy of bank books, copy of marriage cert + original translation, copy of name change cert + original translation, copy of blue book + original translation.

The current statement says that only originals should be submitted. If i submit the originals, will they be returned?

Im a bit Jai Lon at the moment that as part of my application they have our bank books and out Chanode for our land. They also have my wifes passport. Thats a lot of trust i am putting in them and i need these documents. I didnt expect they would keep the originals.I put copies in of everything.

Strike that. I just got an email the wifes application has been been decided.

We paid for EMS so i assume we will get it back in 2 or 3 days time.

Fingers are still crossed!

Edited by daveyravey

When using the settlement checking service in the UK to apply for ILR, one of the things they do is take copies of the supporting documents and return the originals.

It seems to me that this is a useful service which VFS could provide; but they are not allowed to!

BTW, the first email from the embassy is worded badly.

Despite the big heading in capital letters, if you read it thoroughly you'll see it isn't saying the package containing the passport and supporting documents is ready for collection or to be sent to you (depending on which option chosen) it merely says that the package is on it's way to VFS.

You should get another email from VFS tomorrow or the day after to say they've received it and it's ready for collection or, as you opted for EMS, to be forwarded to you.

• Like 1

When using the settlement checking service in the UK to apply for ILR, one of the things they do is take copies of the supporting documents and return the originals.

It seems to me that this is a useful service which VFS could provide; but they are not allowed to!

It wouldn't surprise me if the government didn't, on the whole, trust VFS staff to execute these duties effectively and honestly. It's certainly open to abuse on a wider scale in far off lands.

So a quick update.

Visa was approved and passport and documents returned today.

That was 8 days after online application and 6 days after my wife went to the VFS office and lodged the application papers.

On the whole i'm very happy with the quick turnaround.

Thanks for your advice and comments 7by7 and The oldgit and other members i appreciate all of your help.

smile.png