Drunk minivan driver kills Phuket police officer [video]

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condolences to the family of the Police Officer. I can’t imagine the grief his wife and two young girls must be going through. It’s heartbreaking.

I hope some good can come from this tragedy. Now that one of their own has been murdered my a drunk driver, perhaps Phuket Police will start taking drunk driving serious with consequences similar to many western countries.

The driver will be punished - caught on video, unlikely to be wealthy, connected or a member of a significant family.

As for worrying about one of their own, didn't seem to bother them when Ferrari's and large wealth are involved.

One will be prosecuted and dealt with by the courts, one will simply be allowed to let it all fade away.

Hardly concern for justice.

There's a certain sad irony to this officer's death -- given that it's the Thai police who simply fail to enforce the existing laws against drunk driving, minivans speeding, and all variety of other life endangering activities.

Normally, it's the regular citizens who pays the price for that in countless deaths and injuries. The authorities could significantly reduce the country's problems with roadway mayhem with serious enforcement, but for whatever reasons, they simply don't. Even when it's a policeman who is killed.

...........sick bastard....should be put away forever....and certainly never behind the wheel of ANY vehicle...

No doubt he'll be punished severely, he's a nobody, unlike the Redbull guy in Bangkok who killed a Policeman in similar circumstances and appears to have got away with it.

However, as is often the situation in these accidents, everyone just stood around and waited for the ambulance to arrive. It is likely that the policeman had serious, internal injuries, and no doubt an autopsy will maybe confirm this.

As for me, there was nothing that I could do to help. One would need to be an experienced paramedic with equipment on hand to help.

So you criticise "everyone who just stood around and waited for the ambulance to arrive" and then make excuses for your not doing anything to assist? Well done, I hope the allowances that you made for yourself that don't seem to apply to others make you feel better about doing nothing to help either.

The minivan driver probably up all night drinking , no sleep and fell asleep behind the wheel. RIP.

I feel sorry for all that have been killed by Mini Van lunatics, however I won't hold my breath that the Police will begin a campaign to clean up the driving in Thailand.

I stopped travelling in these after nearly being killed twice.

Then again I asked a Taxi driver to pick us up from BK to go to Hua Hin the next morning after returning to LOS, he was 15 minutes into the trip when he only just avoided rear ending the car in front, the safety strip saved us, I had to scream at him to brake.

He apologised to my wife in Thai and said that he was tired as he had been driving fares all night before coming to pick us up.

Nice of him to apologise for nearly killing us.

Maybe the minivan driver just didn,t like policemen. I know more than a few people around who would share this sentiment.

Maybe if the majority of 'minivan drivers' stuck within the laws of this country,,,, ie. speed, drug, alcohol,, and certainly, a blatant disrespect for other road users, Maybe ,, just maybe, we could have avoided this tragedy, and multiple 24/7 tragedies that happen here due to incompetence, lack of skill, and a 'high and mighty' attitude..... !!! Have a good look at the stats! minivan drivers, should take a good look and ask themselves, if my children were in this vehicle, on this carriageway, Hwy,... would they be driving in this manner?

However, as is often the situation in these accidents, everyone just stood around and waited for the ambulance to arrive. It is likely that the policeman had serious, internal injuries, and no doubt an autopsy will maybe confirm this.

As for me, there was nothing that I could do to help. One would need to be an experienced paramedic with equipment on hand to help.

So you criticise "everyone who just stood around and waited for the ambulance to arrive" and then make excuses for your not doing anything to assist? Well done, I hope the allowances that you made for yourself that don't seem to apply to others make you feel better about doing nothing to help either.

I was in a Taxi in slow traffic in BK, a girl was on the ground knocked off her bike, she looked like she had stopped breathing and needed CPR ,I was going to help, my wife and the Taxi driver said don't touch her, if you do they will blame you if she dead.

I have a first aid certificate I am not a paramedic I was shocked by what my partner and the Taxi driver did to stop me from trying to help TIT.

There's a certain sad irony to this officer's death -- given that it's the Thai police who simply fail to enforce the existing laws against drunk driving, minivans speeding, and all variety of other life endangering activities.

Normally, it's the regular citizens who pays the price for that in countless deaths and injuries. The authorities could significantly reduce the country's problems with roadway mayhem with serious enforcement, but for whatever reasons, they simply don't. Even when it's a policeman who is killed.

Effective enforcement isn't that easy, and Citizens cannot be relied upon to obey laws. Take the US as an example, effective police force, strict DUI laws, harsh penalties for offenders and generally an educated population, yet they have a huge problem with DUI offenders.

Maybe it's time for ZERO Tolerance, no Alcohol at all in the bloodstream, even a little Alcohol can impair your judgement yet below a certain level it's legal, that's a crazy law, the law should be no mind altering drugs in your system at all, the powerful Alcohol Industry and their armies of lobbyists have blood on their hands for sure, but as the governments get billions in Tax through Alcohol they still allow a certain amount in your system, it's insane !

In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics in the USA, with all their policing, harsh penalties and an aware population it still can't be controlled, so what chance does Thailand have ?

Wanna see a massive drop in DUI, have a zero tolerance policy, no drugs in the system at all, but the Alcohol Industry is just too powerful for that to ever happen, so the innocent will keep dying.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

I agree with Timmy P., "I wish I hadn't watched that video... my own fault for clicking "play"

Where I lived for many years the legal limit was/is .08, a reading of .067, would allow investigating officers to place alcohol as a contributing factor, but not outright the cause, he could have been swerving to avoid a jaywalker, or texting on his phone, or avoiding an obstacle of some kind... The investigation needs to go further in to why the mini-van driver ended up at a high rate of speed on the median. Frankly, I never drink then drive, ever, the potential consequences, as in this Police Officer are just too devastating to contemplate.

Regardless of how some people feel about the Police, no one deserves to die like that, my thoughts go with his family.

I was in a Taxi in slow traffic in BK, a girl was on the ground knocked off her bike, she looked like she had stopped breathing and needed CPR ,I was going to help, my wife and the Taxi driver said don't touch her, if you do they will blame you if she dead.

I have a first aid certificate I am not a paramedic I was shocked by what my partner and the Taxi driver did to stop me from trying to help TIT.

That's not the same situation that simon43 was in. And what you describe is a myth along with others such as "farangs are always to blame for accidents regardless of the evidence" promulgated by people who should know better.

Sadly this is the case in many countries. Attemped first aid leading to a death may lead to liability claim (and money claim) by the deceased immediate family.

sad... those " u turns " are a joke anyway. In rawai Phuket the main road is a highway , two lines each side , where you see cars / minivan /bus driving up to 120 Km/h. Now on the side on this road , and i mean literraly 1 meter away from it , you have shops , restaurant ,markets , SCHOOLS. ( what about a low about not having a highway 3 meters from schools instead of the bars ???/./......)

Is there an other country in the world where you could see someting like this ?

The whole thing is a mess with many crossroads all the way. Now like 1 year ago instead of putting circles every 200 meters , allowing people from side roads to get in easy , allowing easy and safe Uturns , and making the average speed go a lot down;

What did they do ?

They put barriers all the way in the middle , increasing average speed and just letting some space for " uturn " where you are litterally waiting in the middle of a highway , half your car in one way ( or on your bike praying each second ) .... and cars driving 120 km/h behind you and in front .

How in the world can you do something that stupid ?

I guess maybe if one day a giant bus driving like crazy fall asleep and go 3 meters on his left , killing 20 kids in one time , they will realise. But they may put the blame on the bar closing hours....

Edited by SlyouThai

Police killing drink driver to appear at Phuket Court
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1447141246_1-org.jpg
Pichitphol Pak-kaew (green T-shirt) is to appear in court as police seek to have his detention peiod extended.

PHUKET: -- The drink driver who crashed his minivan into a police officer waiting to make a u-turn yesterday (Nov 9) is to appear in court today (Nov 10) as police apply for a extended period of detention as they are only legally able to hold the suspect for 48 hours.

The driver, Pichitphol Pak-kaew is currently being held on charges of drink driving causing loss of life and reckless driving causing death.

The first charge carries a penalty of a fine of between B60,000-B200,000 and between three – 10 years in prison. His driver’s licence will be revoked. The second charge carries a penalty of a fine of no more than B20,000 and/or no more than 10 years in prison.

Lt Col Sarit Butrnongsang told The Phuket News today, “Yesterday morning Pichitphol received a call to go and pick up some tourists from the airport.

“He told us that he hadn’t been drinking that morning, but he had the night before.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-killing-drink-driver-to-appear-at-phuket-court-54900.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-10

He was only just over the DD limit, so certainly not drunk.

What he was, was driving recklessly and speeding, possibly late, possibly just an aggressive idiot driver

I doubt the alcohol was a factor at all.

Alcohol the night before , the result is often a tired body in the early morning. I'm guessing he fell asleep for a few seconds. Edited by balo

So you criticise "everyone who just stood around and waited for the ambulance to arrive"

I wasn't criticising anyone. I stated a fact, without aportioning blame. The actions of everyone at the accident scene were 'the norm' for Thailand. It is not my place as a foreigner to criticise or try to change what they do.

How long have you lived in Thailand?

... and then make excuses for your not doing anything to assist?

I am not a doctor - there was nothing that I could do to help (there were maybe 20 police officers immediately on the scene because they were all managing traffic to/from the airport for the VIP visit).

I did the best thing in the circumstances, which was to quickly move my car out of the way to allow the police to manage the scene.

I assume by your naive comments that you're some form of wannabe troll?

He was only just over the DD limit, so certainly not drunk.

What he was, was driving recklessly and speeding, possibly late, possibly just an aggressive idiot driver

I doubt the alcohol was a factor at all.

When driving there should be a law of NO Alcohol at all, innocent people die every day because of people drinking and driving, the governments of the world should be there to create systems that benefit the people, having a super strict policy against drink drivers would certainly save lives.

How many here drink and drive ?

How many here would drink and drive if the penalties were harsh, not for killing an innocent, but for drink driving, would it stop you if you knew you would go to jail for 6 months followed by deportation and blacklisting if you were caught ?

Population of Farangs in Pattaya would plummet.

Effective enforcement isn't that easy, and Citizens cannot be relied upon to obey laws. Take the US as an example, effective police force, strict DUI laws, harsh penalties for offenders and generally an educated population, yet they have a huge problem with DUI offenders.

Maybe it's time for ZERO Tolerance, no Alcohol at all in the bloodstream, even a little Alcohol can impair your judgement yet below a certain level it's legal, that's a crazy law, the law should be no mind altering drugs in your system at all, the powerful Alcohol Industry and their armies of lobbyists have blood on their hands for sure, but as the governments get billions in Tax through Alcohol they still allow a certain amount in your system, it's insane !

In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics in the USA, with all their policing, harsh penalties and an aware population it still can't be controlled, so what chance does Thailand have ?

Wanna see a massive drop in DUI, have a zero tolerance policy, no drugs in the system at all, but the Alcohol Industry is just too powerful for that to ever happen, so the innocent will keep dying.

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

I don't agree with your assessment seeming to suggest that tough enforcement and sentencing doesn't work. I lived in the U.S. before moving here, and dealt a lot with the criminal justice system. Over the past two decades, there has been a major shift in the way drunk driving is perceived and treated in the U.S.

That doesn't mean people still don't drive drunk. Some do. But not nearly to the extent that they used to. And, the real difference is, the society at large began to stop forgiving these kinds of crimes, through the lobbying and education work of organizations like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), whose members organized after getting fed up with too many young lives being lost needlessly.

Over the years, states in the U.S. have significantly strengthened their sentencing for drunk driving and related offenses. What used to get off with a slap on the wrist now results in losing your driver's license and possible jail sentences, especially for repeat offenders. The police too do significantly more drunk driving enforcement these days than they used to in past years.

If only the Thai police did one tenth of much on drunk driving as the police in the U.S. do, there's be a lot fewer people getting killed needlessly on Thai roads and highways. Thailand ranks at the very top of countries in the world in terms of per capita road deaths, whereas the U.S. ranks in the middle, last time I looked at the stats.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK