Trump under fire from rivals in US Republican debate

webfact

Trump under fire from rivals in US Republican debate

606x341_316865.jpg

MILWAUKEE: -- The fourth Republican debate in the search for a US presidential nominee saw Donald Trump under sustained attack from his rivals – not least over the billionaire businessman’s plan to build a wall along the border with Mexico and deport millions of illegal immigrants.

“We are a country of laws. We need borders. We will have a wall. The wall will be built. The wall will be successful,” front-runner Trump said in Tuesday night’s debate, hosted by Fox Business in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

“And if you think walls don’t work, all you have to do is to ask Israel. The wall works, believe me. Properly done. Believe me.”

Making more of an impression than in previous debates, former Florida governor Jeb Bush begged to differ.

“Twelve million illegal immigrants. To send them back, 500,000 a month, is just not possible,” he said.

“And it is not embracing American values. And even having this conversation sends a powerful signal. They are doing high-fives in the Clinton campaign right now when they hear this.”

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton’s campaign, Brian Fallon, tweeted during the debate that “we actually are doing high-fives right now.”

Trump also gave Bush an opening when he said it was okay with him if Russian President Vladimir Putin “wants to go and knock the hell out of ISIS” in Syria and Iraq, a reference to militants of the so-called Islamic State in the two Middle East countries.

Bush quickly interjected.

“We’re not going to be the world’s policemen, but we sure as heck better be the world’s leader,” he said, adding that Trump’s views of Putin and his policies in Syria were “like a board game. That’s like playing Monopoly or something. That’s not how the real world works.”

Bush’s steadfast performance was enough to halt the sense of desperation around his presidential campaign and may buy him time to counter the rise of his chief rival, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who gave a mistake-free performance as did Texas Senator Ted Cruz.

Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, after a rough week of scrutiny about whether he embellished key aspects of his biography, lashed out at his critics and said he did not like being “lied about”.

“I have no problem with being vetted,” Carson said.

“What I do have a problem with is being lied about and having that put out there as true.”

No clear winner emerged but no-one had a disastrous debate. Trump and Carson remain frontrunners to represent the Republicans in next year’s election.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-12

Debate day-after: What rivalries? GOP candidates play nice
By SERGIO BUSTOS

MIAMI (AP) — The elbows-out GOP presidential contest appeared on Wednesday to have entered a kinder, gentler phase.

Jeb Bush, the son of the president who popularized that phrase, pointedly refrained from going after former protege Marco Rubio. GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, previously the resident insult machine, did not speak ill of any of his Republican opponents during an hourlong interview Wednesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" show. Not of Rubio, who is rising in the polls. Not of Ben Carson, who has faced questions about details in his personal life story. Not even Bush, who Trump has frequently blasted as a "low energy candidate."

"I am being nice. I'm trying to be," Trump said during the interview on MSNBC.

The cease-fire by two of the race's most aggressive candidates began during Tuesday's night's debate, may be forced by circumstance, and temporary. Bush's criticism of Rubio for missed Senate votes had backfired on the former Florida governor, whose focus now is on projecting command of a tougher-than-expected battle for the Republican presidential nomination. Trump's new diplomatic style, too, comes as he competes for Carson's supporters, who mostly like the retired neurosurgeon for his even-tempered, pleasant approach.

However temporary, the shift in tone was dramatic for both candidates and reflects dwindling time remaining before the first votes of the 2016 presidential contest are cast in February. One more nationally-televised GOP debate remains this year, on Dec. 15, before voters plunge into the holiday season. The timetable means the coming weeks are critical for the remaining candidates in the unruly race to correct and focus their campaigns.

In the MSNBC interview, what former president George H.W. Bush might have called a kinder, gentler Trump, wouldn't bite when asked to comment on how fellow Republicans fared in the debate.

"I don't think anybody did poorly really. I really don't," said Trump. "Normally I should say they were all terrible, everybody, right?"

"I've actually become friends with a lot of the people that are up there," Trump added, but did not name which opponents he counts as friends.

At one point, Trump declined to talk about whether Carson was qualified to be president. "That's not for me to say," he said, noting that he did have enough confidence in Carson to have him run one of his companies.

Previously, Trump had dismissed Carson's surge in the polls and questioned Carson's religious denomination, the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

In Tuesday night's debate, Trump played more the role of referee than rabble-rouser.

He complained about Ohio Gov. John Kasich taking too much speaking time from Bush.

"Thank you, Donald, for allowing me to speak at the debate," said Bush sarcastically. "That's really nice of you."

For his part, Bush, who was in Iowa on Wednesday, was upbeat about his debate performance and did not utter a negative word about Rubio.

"It went good," Bush said as he entered a grocery store in Johnston, where he poured coffee at the store's annual Veterans Day breakfast. Potential caucus goers peppered him with questions about a nuclear-armed Korea, Social Security and veterans' benefits.

Earlier in the day on ABC's Good Morning America, Rubio, who has steered clear of making direct attacks against Trump, Bush or any other GOP opponents, squelched the chatter about how his former mentor may have snubbed him during a commercial breaking in Tuesday night's debate. A video of the moment— not seen by nationwide television viewers— appeared as if Bush actually turned away from a Rubio overture.

"It may have looked that way, but that's not what happened," Rubio said Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America. "We're fine."
____

Associated Press reporters Steve Peoples, Bill Barrow, Tom Beaumont and Catherine Lucey contributed to this report. Peoples reported from Washington; Barrow from Virginia; Beaumont and Lucey from Iowa.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-12

This guy wants to bring back from China 5 million jobs that pay $1 an hour, then import 5 million immigrants do do the same work for $15 dollars an hour.

Then he wants to send home 11 million Mexicans that work for minimum wage and provide a valuable and obviously needed services.

The Mexicans are in the US because they provide services that American kids won't do.

Lovely, struggling, impoverished people from the neighbouring country providing badly needed services and Trump will wave his hand and ruin their lives.

I'd be willing to go with the Reagan model. The long established Mexicans that behave can stay, recent arrivals must go, then clamp down on the border.

Any economist will tell you that it would be chaos if the Trumps ill conceived plans gets initiated.

Edited by RidgeRunner

There's some method to his madness.... how can a sovereign country allows millions of illegals,

many with criminal records, come in unchecked while many others who want to come in legally

and also settle and build America just like

the Mexican and the south American aren't allowed to do so or have to wait years on line for approval if at all?

This guy wants to bring back from China 5 million jobs that pay $1 an hour, then import 5 million immigrants do do the same work for $15 dollars an hour.

Then he wants to send home 11 million Mexicans that work for minimum wage and provide a valuable and obviously needed services.

The Mexicans are in the US because they provide services that American kids won't do.

Lovely, struggling, impoverished people from the neighbouring country providing badly needed services and Trump will wave his hand and ruin their lives.

I'd be willing to go with the Reagan model. The long established Mexicans that behave can stay, recent arrivals must go, then clamp down on the border.

Any economist will tell you that it would be chaos if the Trumps ill conceived plans gets initiated.

However when Reagan and Bush issue executive orders to deal with the immigration that was okay but if Obama does it he is acting illegally. Trump is going to cut government spending while simultaneous sorting out ISIS and sending back 11 million immigrants, good luck with that.

There's some method to his madness.... how can a sovereign country allows millions of illegals,

many with criminal records, come in unchecked while many others who want to come in legally

the Mexican and the south American aren't allowed to do so or have to wait years on line for approval if at all?

Everybody agrees there needs to be better border security to keep out the bad ones. The ones that got thru, are established in the community, have families & provide valuable services.

You can't act like Nazis and toss them 11 million of them away like mongrel dogs.

However when Reagan and Bush issue executive orders to deal with the immigration that was okay but if Obama does it he is acting illegally. Trump is going to cut government spending while simultaneous sorting out ISIS and sending back 11 million immigrants, good luck with that.

Reagan didn't secure the border after the amnesty but he did do one smart thing.

Suddenly the employers were being held responsible. Every employer was forced to document every worker. A form was sent to the IRS or there were big fines.

All the illegals easily bought fake IDs and went to work. Taxes, Social Security withheld that they never will never see.

The illegals are not only hard working and providing necessary services, they are leaving millions behind to Social Security Fund and paying down they national debt.

The 1986 immigration amnesty was a law passed by congress and signed by the president. It was a shameful betrayal of the American people, but it was a LAW and not something done through presidential dikatat.

Apples and Oranges. Do you think getting rid of the illegals will speed up the approval of legal immigrants?

I seriously doubt it.

The 1986 immigration amnesty was a law passed by congress and signed by the president. It was a shameful betrayal of the American people, but it was a LAW and not something done through presidential dikatat.

And in 1987 when Reagan extended that and also when Bush Snr used presidential diktat to do the same thing, no fuss, no explosion? I guess it only become diktat when Obama passes and executive order.

And in 1987 when Reagan extended that and also when Bush Snr used presidential diktat to do the same thing, no fuss, no explosion? I guess it only become diktat when Obama passes and executive order.

Of course Obama's diktat was illegal, which is exactly why the courts have stopped it.

If you are going to use an argument to justify your position, at least get the facts right. Reagan signed a law passed by Congress. Obama's executive orders were not passed by Congress and has been challenged in court for various reasons and has been blocked by the court and the block upheld by the Appeals court. We will have to wait to see where that goes.

As far as illegals taking precedence over people legally waiting their turn. The point is not that it would speed up those wanting to come legally to deport the illegals, it is the fact that if you cheat you win.

For those that think that it is unfair to deport people, why not just open the country to anyone who wants to come from the Middle East, Africa, Latin America or anywhere. Why have immigration laws at all?

While Trump may take the tough stand and it may be unrealistic to deport 11 million people, in principle he is right. What kind of place do you live if the law isn't followed? I don't let people enter my house without my permission, why should we let people enter the country without permission. We all see what is the beginning of the end in Europe. Massive immigration changes the balance of any society when done too fast. Sure these immigrants only want a better life, but why should the lives of the citizens be diminished by a rapid influx of migrants. In reality the way out of the mess in the US is to first and foremost secure the border, then deport anyone with ANY violation of the law, allow others a guest worker permit, no benefits (social security, medical, welfare, food stamps, etc. and no citizenship ever as they broke the law to get to the US). Anyone illegally entering the US in the future is automatically deported, no exceptions. Issue a national identity card in different colors for citizens, guest workers, etc. No work without the right card and a fine stiff enough to discourage companies from hiring people without the right card. Both Truman and Eisenhower both had significant amounts of deportations or voluntary repatriations, under threat of deportation, during their terms in office: Truman 3.4 million and Eisenhower 2.1 million. So yes it is possible to deport people if there is a will. The point is people are fed up. Most people do not hate or dislike the hispanic immigrants in this country, they are fed up with the failure of the government to stop the flow. Further check out the statistics by ethnic/racial makeup of who is in jail any you will find that the smallest percentage is caucasian. So somewhere, something is wrong.

^^^

In reality the way out of the mess in the US is to first and foremost secure the border, then deport anyone with ANY violation of the law,

As soon as they work without a permit, avoid income taxes or any other deductions, drive without a driver's license, etc., they violate the law. Just in the normal course of a day, illegals violate US federal and state law over and over again. So, there should be workplace raids, apprehension and deportation when found driving without a license, and the same confiscatory IRS laws that apply to American citizens should also apply to illegals dodging tax returns at any level. Yes, I mean take all their ill-gotten goodies from them and kick them back across the border with only that they brought with them.

If you are going to use an argument to justify your position, at least get the facts right. Reagan signed a law passed by Congress. Obama's executive orders were not passed by Congress and has been challenged in court for various reasons and has been blocked by the court and the block upheld by the Appeals court. We will have to wait to see where that goes.

As far as illegals taking precedence over people legally waiting their turn. The point is not that it would speed up those wanting to come legally to deport the illegals, it is the fact that if you cheat you win.

For those that think that it is unfair to deport people, why not just open the country to anyone who wants to come from the Middle East, Africa, Latin America or anywhere. Why have immigration laws at all?

While Trump may take the tough stand and it may be unrealistic to deport 11 million people, in principle he is right. What kind of place do you live if the law isn't followed? I don't let people enter my house without my permission, why should we let people enter the country without permission. We all see what is the beginning of the end in Europe. Massive immigration changes the balance of any society when done too fast. Sure these immigrants only want a better life, but why should the lives of the citizens be diminished by a rapid influx of migrants. In reality the way out of the mess in the US is to first and foremost secure the border, then deport anyone with ANY violation of the law, allow others a guest worker permit, no benefits (social security, medical, welfare, food stamps, etc. and no citizenship ever as they broke the law to get to the US). Anyone illegally entering the US in the future is automatically deported, no exceptions. Issue a national identity card in different colors for citizens, guest workers, etc. No work without the right card and a fine stiff enough to discourage companies from hiring people without the right card. Both Truman and Eisenhower both had significant amounts of deportations or voluntary repatriations, under threat of deportation, during their terms in office: Truman 3.4 million and Eisenhower 2.1 million. So yes it is possible to deport people if there is a will. The point is people are fed up. Most people do not hate or dislike the hispanic immigrants in this country, they are fed up with the failure of the government to stop the flow. Further check out the statistics by ethnic/racial makeup of who is in jail any you will find that the smallest percentage is caucasian. So somewhere, something is wrong.

Please speak for yourself. 'We all see' 'people are fed up' 'most people do' 'they are fed up' is all rhetoric weakening your arguments.

Edited by stevenl

You mean there is madness to his method, for the most part the madness of the people who are buying the crap he is selling.I get it , people are stressed and are grasping at straws, so Trump being the businessman that he is is selling straws. so far business looks good.

It is madness to think straws will keep you afloat.

"“And if you think walls don’t work, all you have to do is to ask Israel. The wall works, believe me. Properly done. Believe me.”

WALL-centre-image_600x217.jpg

Vote Trump he will make as just like Israel

I believe him, I really do

Donald Trump and all the others have no real plan to assist the poor and middle class. Trump even said Americans make too much money and wouldn't raise the minimum wage which in some states less than $10 per hour. None of them say they will tax the wealthy at a fair rate and give tax relief to millions of Americans at the poverty level. None of them will stop the ludicrous rise of the defense budget which is the highest in the World but deny Veterans, the elderly and the poor ever a small raise in their entitlements. None of them has proposed a real health care plan that will stop insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies from stealing more of Americans money and transferring that money to big business. None of them will regulate Wall street and the thieving banking industry which continues to make huge profit off the backs of the working class.. Rhetoric about illegal immigrants is simply a politician ploy to get Americans to not think about how America needs to retool its social policies but to think about an issue that will not put one cent into the average American's pocket.

There is not one Republican that could do anything great for America and only one Democratic that would make a difference and that is Bernie Sanders. He won't get the nomination and Clinton will. It makes no difference who is elected. Money will still talk- only problem is that the majority of Americans won't be getting any of it. Until the money politics carousel is broken- America will continue to fall further and further into decline.

Edited by Thaidream

Well I am all for the facts and the facts are that Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush — did the same thing by extending the amnesty to family members who were not covered in the immigration law in 1986. In other words they used executive orders to cover those cases not specifically approved by what was covered in the act passed by congress. In fact this fuss over executive orders has arisen whenever Obama makes one despite him having used it fewer times that previous GOP presidents.

At one point Rubio claimed that America’s banks have gotten too big because they are over-regulated. cheesy.gif

The entire Republican primary, and really the entire party, exists somewhere outside the bounds of space and time.

Trump is so full of shit because he'll never deport them. Who would he rather pay, an American $15 an hour or an illegal $5 an hour? He's clearly and willingly employing illegals in his buildings.

Only the naive would believe him since the rich are wanting just to get richer themselves and they sell a fantasy dream to make the naive vote for them. Later you find out you've been had by a con man. Just like Bernie Madoff and money except this time it's the presidency.

I don't know what all the fuss is about and why we are even going through the farcical selection process. All Presidents whether Democrat or Republican do exactly what the Multi National Corporations tell them to do. It seems funny that the general population believe they have a choice in voting.

Trump lost some stock I'd say. He's fading. They won't elect a woman, a crazy black or Rand Paul. Bush is sleepwalking & Cruz is a certifiable nutcase, so Kasich / Rubio probably gained some ground.

I think thats the ticket. Ohio and Florida in the bag.

Just read an article that says pretty much that--Rubio is the guy that would give the Dems the most trouble.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/10/opinions/pfeiffer-democrats-view-of-gop-candidates/

I still like Kasich on the GOP side, but for some reason, he's just not getting a lot of traction.

I don't know what all the fuss is about and why we are even going through the farcical selection process. All Presidents whether Democrat or Republican do exactly what the Multi National Corporations tell them to do. It seems funny that the general population believe they have a choice in voting.

That's not true. There is a choice AA. I feel sorry for you if you don't see the difference between these candidates. You sound like a typical Trump or Carson man.

I'll tell you what this election is about. It's about not stocking the Supreme Court with one more Conservative ideologue. If that happens, America as we know it changes for good, right into the dumper. It will be Citizens United on steroids. Corporations will own the government lock, stock and double barrels. Abortions will be illegal and the religious right will triumph in everything. That is the worst thing that could possibly happen to America. One more idiot Supreme Court Judge. Oh, and giving the Republicans another chance to ruin the economy and gin up new wars? The same shit they always do? There is a choice.

There is a huge election coming. America will be a wingnut paradise where the ultra-rich rule or the land of opportunity for all. There is a choice, a big one.

President Trump? Or how about President Cruz? Oh, there is a choice. That's what the fuss is about.

A year out Hillary is a slam dunk and the Republicans are looking like they will cease to exist as a viable political party after this debacle. I'm confident Americans will make the right choice.