METV from London Embassy

Not that difficult?

According to the Chinese labor department the average Chinese salary is $4.755 per year. it means that an average Chinese must save 2 years of salary to have the required amount.

http://qz.com/170363/the-average-chinese-private-sector-worker-earns-about-the-same-as-a-cleaner-in-thailand/

The average Chinese isn't targeted by this visa, it is hardly rocket science. This visa is not targeted to the average tourist in all countries of the world regardless of salary. This visa is targeted to people who can afford an extensive holiday, hence the financial requirements.

For the average European, having that kind of money should be trivial, certainly the kind that can afford such extensive holiday in the first place. How else do you suppose they support themselves whilst here ?

Wrong

Most Farangs don't have ¨£5000 on their bank account ; only France Switzerland Australia and Norway.

UK and US don't even make it

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2718065/British-households-able-save-Europe-Australia.html

article-0-204EF65400000578-931_634x355.j

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

Not that difficult?

According to the Chinese labor department the average Chinese salary is $4.755 per year. it means that an average Chinese must save 2 years of salary to have the required amount.

http://qz.com/170363/the-average-chinese-private-sector-worker-earns-about-the-same-as-a-cleaner-in-thailand/

The average Chinese isn't targeted by this visa, it is hardly rocket science. This visa is not targeted to the average tourist in all countries of the world regardless of salary. This visa is targeted to people who can afford an extensive holiday, hence the financial requirements.

For the average European, having that kind of money should be trivial, certainly the kind that can afford such extensive holiday in the first place. How else do you suppose they support themselves whilst here ?

Wrong

Most Farangs don't have ¨£5000 on their bank account ; only France Switzerland Australia and Norway.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2718065/British-households-able-save-Europe-Australia.html

Don't talk <deleted> 5grand is nothing!

My apologies - I mentioned retirees in the context of Thaidream saying they would be kicked to the side.i.e. those already in Thailand.

You retired at 47 huh.

Too young for a retirement extension - oops bad luck.

Maybe go back to work if the METV is that important.

Retired young - presumably cashed up -maybe go the Thai Elite visa route.

Go the SETV or 30 day exempt route maybe?

None of these work for you?

I remember when I was 6 or 7 and I saw a beautiful shiny bike in a shop.

I nagged and nagged my dad to buy it for me.

He didn't

I got over it.

Retired young - presumably cashed up -maybe go the Thai Elite visa route.

TE Visa - Not worth it for a few short years. If I was 44, I would do it

Maybe go back to work if the METV is that important.

Working - Yes, I am Company Secretary to my parents business. I can get a letter there easily or I could ask one of my countless friends in business to draft such a letter saying that I do consultancy work for them via my parents business but in reality, it is much easier for me to show my indexed pension/trust fund and other funds in the bank.

I got over it.

Oh yes, believe me I will get over it and such a comment is silly in context.

Yeah I can relate to that.

I was the company secretary to my parents business also until Dad kicked me off the couch and turned off the telly, took away my iPad and told me to get a job.

Keep the your dream alive old mate..I believe you...thousands wouldn't.

Funny how the embassy of a country, whose banks are seemingly unable to recognise the concept of issuing a bank statement for their retail customers, should insist on one, showing a balance in excess of that required for issue by the British embassy of a multi-entry UK visa to Thai visitors - I'm not even sure there is a minimum amount; there certainly wasn't - for UK visitors to Thailand.

• Like 1

Not that difficult?

Wrong

Don't talk <deleted> 5grand is nothing!

I am not talking

I am quoting

I don't know how to say this without getting deleted - let's see how long this lasts. My post in line with anybody who wishes to stay/live in Thailand and understand the new regulations. With that in mind, I cannot see any benefit whatsoever in arguing with people who are posting unhelpful and antagonistic posts.

My own situation is that I had been waiting for London/Cardiff. I live in BKK with somebody that I hope one day to marry -but I in no way want that decision to be made for me as an expediency - due to either UK or Thai government regulations - as in - 'ok, I should get married for the visa now'!

I think perhaps my problem is this - I was born in the mid 1970s'. Apparently - if I had only been born about five years earlier - I would be a totally different person - 'worthy' and 'respectable' and 'deserving' of a 'thaivisa'.

How me do?????

50 years is 50 years regardless of date of birth.

But you propose a dynamic time shift.

Those born in the 80's get a 40 year limit and those born in the 90's a 30 year limit.

Clever.

The purposes of my opposition to the METv is creating artificial barriers that are overly bureaucratic and make no sense. And the stated reason for the Visa is to enhance tourism which is completely illogical. We all know the real reson for this Visa .While none of this impacts me as a retired person we need to stick up for those other people who become marginalized and caused suffering due to a poorly thought out program. Just because we have ours -Thailand does not belong to us. In the past the government has encouraged people of all ages to stay long term and people have settled down with families and commitment. You just don't kick these people to the side and say who cares.

Where does introducing the METV 'kick these people to the side'?

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

What are you going on about?

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

Wrong - I am 47 and fully retired. Not long until I am 50. So yes, it will/would effect me... my Embassy has not confirmed if a retired person that is fully funded can apply for a METV visa.

So long as your employer writes that letter you will have no problem.

Based on the requirements no letter from employer = no visa.

Stop and think! How many employed people can take 3 to 6 mths off? .....Except maybe a Uni. lecturer on a Sabbatical.....And how many of those have you met in Thailand? Maybe some who are self-employed can manage it, but most cannot. It is only those of us who are lucky enough to have what used to be called 'Private means' or rental income, or are semi-retired or retired who can come for such long periods of time......And we will not qualify!!!!......Oh! I nearly forgot the gap year students, who, after Kho Tao, if they have any sense, will not want to come anyway!

Can someone with some influence please write and explain this to the stupid bastards Thai authorities, and also explain that in the uk rental income 'From Land and Property' is not classified as self-employed or employed income.

Edited by SunsetT

Can someone with some influence please write and explain this to the stupid bastards Thai authorities, and also explain that in the uk rental income 'From Land and Property' is not classified as self-employed or employed income.

Utter contempt.

Great... 7 pages of mostly off topic SPAM... as usual.

What a waste of time.

Somebody needs a broom and to learn how to use it...

There's at least a page of bitter nasty types claiming they KNOW FOR SURE that Thailand has made this visa to make it impossible for people who are not like them to be here at all. How can it be ok for them to get away with saying such things as if it were official government policy? How many people who may only even speak English as a foreign language come on here and actually think those people are speaking facts?

This is ridiculous... and it needs a mature hand to rein it in...

As the OP, I quite agree! UbonJoe made a valiant attempt back in post #6.clap2.gif

Where are you when we need you Joe?

Actually, if i was a Mod I think I'd be wringing my hands in despair!facepalm.gif

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

To totally thai up.When you explained yourself fully,i agree you and your friends are in a unique situation.I was married to a Thai and went back to Australia and got my act together.Sadly my ex didn't want to help,you've heard all the horror stories,i'm just one more.If i was PM of either country,you'd be married already.Take that astound back,if you knew me you would be astounded again how liberal(not party)i am.Chogdee.

exactly how is this related to OP except for cry session

• Like 1

Thanks!

That is good news

We are now aware of London's METV requirements.

There are no surprises but some will be disappointed.

I'm afraid I see it as bad news!

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

You might find another country to go and 'not like the requirements' Jeez, couple pieces of paper and you get all negative.

Well, if you're a Yank, no need, as once again the Honorary Consulate in Portland, Oregon, has as its unspoken criteria, "This is what we believe the MFA meant to say."

REQUIREMENTS FOR AN METV:

Passport

2 Passport photos

Visa application

Bank Statement showing at least 7,000 Baht

Cash or Money Order made payable to Royal Thai Consulate General.

Please see requirements below for non-US Passports.

No official bank statement needed, no employment data, no airline ticket. And only $196 in the bank -- as shown by an unofficial, on-line printout.

Gosh, I love practical consulates.

http://www.thai-or.com/visa-information/

This is what I believe the HCPO meant to say . . . .

Bank Statement showing at least 7,000 Dollars

Bank Statement showing at least 7,000 Dollars

I'm sure you're right. Other country consulate reports have been all in the $7000 neighborhood, roughly speaking (5000 GBPs, 50,000 RMDs, 200,000 Baht). Portland, however, has been known to interpret new guidance in favor of the customer. Will be interesting to see how tight MFA is monitoring its honoraries.

A sampling of some other US Honorary Consulates, and a few official consulates, didn't find any METV updates as of yet. When that happens, I suspect we'll find out the true monetary requirement. If they all differ, well, that will just prove MFA's guidance is subject to interpretation (a helluva way to run a ship, if so).

Edited by JimGant
  • Like 1

Portland Honorary Consulate still has on its website for applicants applying by mail:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

which when I noted that on a previous METV topic prompted the query: Well how can they tell?

Edited by JLCrab

Utter contempt.

I guess that 'uk rental income' doesn't manifest itself as hard cash then? I mean when the lodgers pay you rent, they either give it to your in cash or deposit it in cash in your bank account don't they? And as a money-making entity, I am pretty sure that your properties are either registered in a company name or if still done on a personal basis, the UK tax authorities are aware of your enterprise and happily getting paid their dues?

I don't know what is worse really, shonky buy-to-let "property magnates" or shonky "tourists". Both seem to be trying to fly below the radar, hide in Thailand and all basically without a pot to p!ss in.

Maybe someone can query the RTE in London and see if showing the well stuffed mattress is accepted in lieu of the conventional methods of proof of financial stability.

Edited by NanLaew

"Proof of residence in UK, i.e passport".

Wouldn't you be sending your passport in to get the visa?

It's a redundant requirement for UK citizens unless you have 10 years on TV in it, in which case get a new passport.

It just says air ticket TO Thailand not out, just like previous TV no onward ticket required

I still think there will be an option for pensioners.

I have a feeling wording is going to change after they get over the 'face' thing.

A British citizen would have a UK passport.

A foreigner may only have residence status, not a UK passport. An EU citizen for example.

So basically, as with the guidance from other Embassies, you can only obtain the METV from a Country of whom you are a citizen, or hold a registered resident certificate.

Faz has the right idea, but the requirement is a bit of a mess. If by 'residence status' they mean evidence of the right to reside, then any EEA passport or passport endorsed with right of abode should do, as should one with the appropriate visa or extension sticker. For non-EEA citizens who are or have been family members of non-British EEA citizens, a residence card is a suitable option. For other non-EEA citizens, one presumes a residence permit will be acceptable, though it isn't listed. They'd be unusually strict if they required a residence card from non-UK EEA citizens, though strictly speaking I believe non-UK EEA citizens could be required to do visa runs for the UK if they didn't have a residence card.

The best evidence of actual residence is the requirements relating to employment or self-employment.

I guess that 'uk rental income' doesn't manifest itself as hard cash then? I mean when the lodgers pay you rent, they either give it to your in cash or deposit it in cash in your bank account don't they? And as a money-making entity, I am pretty sure that your properties are either registered in a company name or if still done on a personal basis, the UK tax authorities are aware of your enterprise and happily getting paid their dues?

The problem, NanLaew, is that the application doesn't cater for the 'independently wealthy'. It requires one to be working. A tax return does not suffice.

Of course, this may be the idea. If one is 'independently wealthy', one could try to stay all year round in Thailand,. The problem then comes for those who can't or won't use the Elite visa scheme.

• Like 1