14 year old student killed in North Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

14 year old student killed in North Pattaya Road Crash

crash-22.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Wednesday afternoon a 14 year old student who was driving home from school on a motorbike, collided head-on with a pick-up truck and was killed instantly.

The crash occurred in the Takiendier area in the Northern outskirts of Pattaya on the Pattaya Park Hill Road at a sharp bend. The driver of the pick-up, Khun Suchin aged 43, told Police that he works as a construction worker and was also driving to his home when he encountered the motorbike which came over the center-line on the carriageway and into the path of his vehicle, at the bend in the road.

A school friend of the victim confirmed that he was earlier driving his motorbike next to the victim’s, but he decided to speed off and left his friend behind.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219071/14-year-old-student-killed-in-north-pattaya-road-crash/#

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-11-13

The widespread and entrenched culture of allowing teenagers and often children even younger to ride 125 cc bikes, with top speeds in excess of 120 kmh, to school and everywhere else with no protective equipment at all, not even a helmet, is a strange trait.

40 years ago, it could not have been the case so it is fairly recent and has very quickly become the standard accepted practice for most families, but not all.

I feel it is a conglomeration, nay, a celebration, of laziness from literally every stakeholder. The parents can't be bothered taking the kids to school, the kids can't be bothered walking, riding a bicycle or waiting for the bus, the schools and teachers can't be bothered to broach the practice with parents, the police can't be bothered to do anything approaching law enforcement, successive governments turn a blind eye to it as they can't be bothered dealing with difficult things when there are more profitable avenues to be exploring.

Laziness will be the death of you, literally.

and of course, the pick up truck stayed in his lane and turned his steering wheel to go AROUND the corner......i doubt for 1 minute that he might have just driven right across it and into the boys path..........ive never seen that happen before. well not since around 3 times yesterday, etc.

The widespread and entrenched culture of allowing teenagers and often children even younger to ride 125 cc bikes, with top speeds in excess of 120 kmh, to school and everywhere else with no protective equipment at all, not even a helmet, is a strange trait.

40 years ago, it could not have been the case so it is fairly recent and has very quickly become the standard accepted practice for most families, but not all.

I remember 30+ years ago seeing youngsters (and by youngsters I mean pre-teens) on rented super-bikes and on smaller owned motorbikes, so I don't think there is anything very new about it.

And back then hardly anyone used a helmet and there were certainly no police controls as there are now.

It was just as stupid then as it is now, of course.

Used to have some neighbors who had a stunningly beautiful daughter. At 14 she was almost 180cm tall and looked like a model. One day I asked the parents, who both spoke reasonably good English, why they didn't love their daughter. They looked at me in shock and replied that their daughter was the most precious thing in the world to them. I told them: "No she's not. If she was, you wouldn't let her, at 14, drive a motorbike to school, and not even wear a helmet." Of course they protested, saying she was a perfectly good driver, and had already been driving for 2 years. I just shook my head and told them: "Tell me that again when she's dead." Then walked away.

Less than a week later she was killed. Smashed by a pick up truck. Her parents were devastated and wanted to sue the driver of the pick up. Until they read the police report which stated witnesses to the accident had claimed the girl ran a red light, while talking on her cell phone. My wife and I went to pay condolences, and the father became totally irate, blaming me for the accident, saying I had caused it. My wife calmly told him that he and his wife killed their daughter when they let her ride a motorbike before she was legally allowed to do so. Within a month they had sold their house and moved away.

Sad. Pitty nothing will ever be gleaned from yet another tragic loss. Even VN 'grew up', they enforce their helmet laws and 99.9% of those drivers AND passengers that I saw had helmets during my one week sightseeing trip. And yet Thailand is a leader in ASEAN?

Used to have some neighbors who had a stunningly beautiful daughter. At 14 she was almost 180cm tall and looked like a model. One day I asked the parents, who both spoke reasonably good English, why they didn't love their daughter. They looked at me in shock and replied that their daughter was the most precious thing in the world to them. I told them: "No she's not. If she was, you wouldn't let her, at 14, drive a motorbike to school, and not even wear a helmet." Of course they protested, saying she was a perfectly good driver, and had already been driving for 2 years. I just shook my head and told them: "Tell me that again when she's dead." Then walked away.

Less than a week later she was killed. Smashed by a pick up truck. Her parents were devastated and wanted to sue the driver of the pick up. Until they read the police report which stated witnesses to the accident had claimed the girl ran a red light, while talking on her cell phone. My wife and I went to pay condolences, and the father became totally irate, blaming me for the accident, saying I had caused it. My wife calmly told him that he and his wife killed their daughter when they let her ride a motorbike before she was legally allowed to do so. Within a month they had sold their house and moved away.

Yes they always put the blame elsewhere.

RiP to the young lad in this accident.

Begs the question what's a 14 yr old doing on a motorbike.

Riding to and from school.

coffee1.gif

Indeed.

As thousands do illegally everyday.

Anybody ever see a traffic cop near a school stop such underage students.

What about the schools ?? Nobody in authority think that is odd, in a school where the maximum age may be 16, there are hundreds of Motorcys parked up everyday ?

Whats wrong with the police sitting outside schools and confiscating their bikes and only returning them after a 1000 baht fine, see how many parents would allow the kids to ride then, Thais don't like being hit in the pocket

but RIP for this kid and also the one in the accident next week

Riding to and from school.

coffee1.gif

Indeed.

As thousands do illegally everyday.

Anybody ever see a traffic cop near a school stop such underage students.

What about the schools ?? Nobody in authority think that is odd, in a school where the maximum age may be 16, there are hundreds of Motorcys parked up everyday ?

I see traffic cops near the schools every day. But rather than stopping the underaged unprotected students, instead stopping all other traffic to make it easier for them to enter their schools.

Parents/guardians, police, school heads and the government should be held responsible, where relevant, for every accident when a minor is driving a motorbike

Excellent story, and one which could apply all over Thailand.

It is just typical Thai stupidity, and if anyone wants to accuse me of Thai bashing, then be my guest.

The parents of this young lad should be charged with something like 'accessory to murder' for allowing their under aged child to ride a motorbike.

RIP to the young lad and I hope you get more responsible parents next life.

The parents have lost a child which is punishment enough.

Hopefully, if they have any more offspring, they will have learnt a lesson here and will put more effort into protecting what they have left but sadly it is more realistic that they will be trying to work out which lucky garlands they missed hanging on the motorbike beforehand.

Parents of that "ghost riding" boy in the slammer for a few years, plus 1 year of hard labor for his "friend"... parents should pay all the damage plus get life in prison if they would dare to ask the pickup driver for blood money. A pipe dream? Yes! :(

"A school friend of the victim confirmed that he was earlier driving his motorbike next to the victim’s, but he decided to speed off and left his friend behind."

Clearly driving it as might be expected from a person of his age and experience.
When I was 14 I had a motorcycle license (that was the legal age where I lived) and rode to and from school by myself everyday. Of course, I already had 2 years of experience from riding the dirtbike I got when I was 12.

There are plenty of kids around the world who at age 6 are already seasoned racers, and could ride circles around any of the crotchety old Thai hating colonialists who have shared their precious pearls of wisdom thus far on this topic.

This unfortunate incident may have been due in no small part to the culture of reckless riding among some of the young Thai riders, which is not to say that nobody should ever be permitted to ride at 14. Lots of ignorant and unskilled adult riders end up buying the farm on these roads, and they aren't all Thai, either.

In my opinion, sometimes these horrific occurrences happen due to monetary reasons. A lot of Thais struggle to make ends meet. To ferry kids back and forth to school can take time away from the gind to make the baht to survive (and, no, I do not condone this). The same with piling everyone on one vehicle, what average Thai can buy 4 mc's?. To the ones that can afford to provide a safe travel environment, this is just poor parenting skills coupled with a government that is so crippled with corruption that the concept of traffic safety doesn't actually exist (along with enforcement/education ie proper licensing). A damn shame for sure and I'm so glad I live in a town I don't need to drive, but if I did it'd be a hummer with a .50 cal on top.

In my opinion, sometimes these horrific occurrences happen due to monetary reasons. A lot of Thais struggle to make ends meet. To ferry kids back and forth to school can take time away from the gind to make the baht to survive (and, no, I do not condone this). The same with piling everyone on one vehicle, what average Thai can buy 4 mc's?. To the ones that can afford to provide a safe travel environment, this is just poor parenting skills coupled with a government that is so crippled with corruption that the concept of traffic safety doesn't actually exist (along with enforcement/education ie proper licensing). A damn shame for sure and I'm so glad I live in a town I don't need to drive, but if I did it'd be a hummer with a .50 cal on top.

No its not, its just 100% lazy parents

always ways around the school run.

Also so broke , but they manage to buy them a new motor bike !!!!!

Mobile phone, tablet, and so on, but cant be arsed to take real care of there children. Shame on them all. bah.gif