USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

This thread may be useful to people who want to see how real estate prices in areas they are looking at have moved over time, up or down:

The overall U.S. housing market has recovered from the crisis that plunged the country into recession. But a new analysis by The Washington Post shows that the recovery has been deeply uneven, creating winners and losers along lines of race, income and geography.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/overview/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_housing-divide%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Personally, my concern as I'm seriously looking at FLORIDA is that Florida will start spiking back up too quickly, as my the planned timing of my repatriation is about two years. Oh well ...

Are you not in a position to go spend some time there and secure a property now?

I regret now not being more assertive in/around San Diego when the housing market hit some interesting lows a number of years ago. I had been and still was working overseas and had established a landing pad in Thailand should things go awry work wise. My Mom wanted/wants me back in the US and was flabbergasted at my lack of enthusiasm when home prices were so depressed. I did put in a half hearted 180k offer on a 190k, standard 3 bed post-flip home in a decent neighborhood 4-5 miles from the beach in Oceanside, Ca. I didn't budge and it sold later for 195. Stupid, should of grabbed something to at least enter the market as years later, starting to tire of Thailand, and am enjoying my trips back to the US more and more. My Mom just stares at me now, shaking her head. facepalm.gif

Florida has always intrigued me (I'm a boater/fisherman type) and still offers an opportunity to "get in" at a reasonable price. As you've learned already, gotta be mindful of the area - storm surge inundation zones, rivers, sink holes and of course the annual hurricane season and associated insurance issues therein.

Bradenton will be one of the cheapest places and best place to live in the United States but one needs a car for sure.

Glad to hear that assuming you have actual direct knowledge of the place, which I don't.

The choice between Bradenton and someplace in Pinellas County (St. Pete) no further north than Clearwater is kind of hard.

It seems basically a choice between being in the Sarasota "metro" area which is a smaller metro area vs. being in the Tampa-St.Pete metro area which would have more to offer in the "big city" type of attractions department.

I can see there are pros and cons, at least on paper.

As far as a car, yes, but that might be an argument for St.Pete. Outside of downtown, yes you need a car, but being a very dense larger city, there seems to be a real trend there for more and more public transport options, including future stuff like automated cars, etc.

Also, it's obvious that St. Pete downtown and near is becoming a hip trendy younger spot ... that's great, but I'm not young, so not sure that's necessary such a benefit for me personally (can't afford to live there anyway even if I wanted to).

I watched a video the other day of a coastal drive from North to downtown on the Tampa Bay side of St. Pete. It looked like the rich North (Lake Michigan) Shore of Chicago, That surprised me. Very elegant. I realize most of the city is NOT like that.

Edited by Jingthing

As this thread has touched on all the major U.S. mainland regions, this U.S. map showing regions and connectivity is kind of interesting. The funny thing is that I don't think I've ever taken a good look (research) at so many U.S. destinations in my life before. Seeing the old place from a new perspective being away for so long. Before when I moved and I moved a lot ... it was more functionally based ... for a job, for school, relationship linked, etc.

One "fateful" move in my young past was about moving to Austin, Texas for school. I had been accepted, the car was packed (seriously, it was packed), and I just had a strong feeling that it was wrong ... and went to school in another state instead. Still haven't been there.

The map from your book that’s probably received the most attention is the United States broken down into seven economic mega-regions, all of which are driven by urban centers. You say that a high-speed railway could connect these cities, creating a “United City-States of America.” Why do you think we need to reorganize this way?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/04/29/six-maps-that-will-make-you-rethink-the-world/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_6-maps-950a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Edited by Jingthing

Deja vous.

I'm from California but I've often thought Florida might be someplace I would like to try.

I've heard some folks put it in the "horrible" category though, but some folks seem to like it there. That's how it goes I guess.

I was speaking to someone who winters in Stuart, Florida and then generally returns to his home in the New York area, so I looked Stuart up on the net.

There are one bedroom condo's of roughly 700 sq feet available for around $50,000, with what I took to be a monthly charge of $240 and annual taxes of $600. This seems affordable unless I am missing something.

Or does this class as a "horrible" place or any better or worse than most of Florida. (I am a Brit with limited experience of the U.S.A.).

Florida has a mixed reputation. It's a large diverse state. There are lot of divides. The North of it is more like the deep USA south and the south of it is demographically more like New York City with more Cubans. Then you have the ocean side, the gulf side, and the middle part -- very different. Generally, it's hot and humid in the summers and there are hurricane risks. The politics are weird even by USA standards (perhaps you recall hanging shads). Liberal in the south, conservative in the north, the middle part more mixed. It's a top retirement destination along with Arizona, so in a general culture that devalues old people, it's the butt of a lot of jokes and disdain just for that.

Yes those are VERY affordable levels by U.S. standards. I never heard of Stuart before but I can see it's on the Atlantic side. Sounds comparable to Bradenton price-wise depending on what the units are like. BTW, I have learned at St. Pete is very popular seasonally for long staying Europeans. I think a lot of Germans.

I have found RENTS relative to buying are actually quite HIGH. In other words you would think a place that sells so cheap, 50K, would have very cheap rent. But, that's not the case.

Other than the winter, escape the cold season, there is also "Spring Break" season when a number of Florida beach destinations are overrun with the college party crowd. Then of course many families have vacations in summer as well.

For a foreigner who wants to buy and only stay seasonally, it's pretty good, because I think tourist visas are six months but you can't stay all year just for retirement purposes.

That's one concern I have moving to areas like this to live all year. It might be weird if the place is 90 percent vacant for half the year. I'm sure it varies by housing complex and something I would check out. Sometimes there are direct clues in the listings that it's more of a seasonal place.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh no.

I'm now thinking I should keep an open mind about the greater Ft. Lauderdale area.

Probably somewhat inland for affordability.

I already know it somewhat, and liked what I saw, and I'm seeing housing options not so much more expensive than St. Pete or Brandenton roughly comparing the type of units/locations.

Wouldn't being on the OCEAN side and striking distance to Miami be more fun?

I even found an obviously very GLBT friendly over 55 complex near Wilton Manners.

I haven't seen anything like that in St. Pete.

Edited by Jingthing

Are you going to work?

Houston is big. Would you have a car (more $)?

If I didn't have to work and wanted to stay in the USA full time I would get a rig like a 4x4 pickup with a small camper and live a nomadic outdoor lifestyle in the western states. It's not expensive once you have the vehicle.

Good luck.

Yeah I understand that is a dream of many, but knowing myself, I'd probably be happier in some roach infested slum digs than being on the road all the time.

If it sounds like I don't WANT to do this, go back to the USA, that is exactly right. I'm resisting the forces driving me back but the writing on the wall is telling me in the long term I won't win.

Looking on the bright side, I'm sure there are some things I will love being back there. Like good Vietnamese pho.

Things change, even for long term expats. Moving here for life? You never know!

Will you kindly elaborate (in more specific detail) "the writing on the wall is telling me in the long term I won't win" point? Thank you, in advance.

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Oh no.

I'm now thinking I should keep an open mind about the greater Ft. Lauderdale area.

I already know it somewhat, and liked what I saw, and I'm seeing housing options not so much more expensive than St. Pete or Brandenton roughly comparing the type of units/locations.

I even found an obviously very GLBT friendly over 55 complex near Wilton Manners.

There are no more 55+ complexes remaining anymore in the State of Florida. The state legislature ruled the 55+ policy to be age discriminatory; a violation of federal statutes in 2004. whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

http://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/2010/04/articles/fair-housing/55-over-housing-what-is-the-8020-rule/

So why or how are there 55 & older communities? Well, every rule has exceptions, right? The Fair Housing Act is no different. The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA) is an exception that allows communities to operate as “55 or over” housing. To qualify for this exemption, the following criteria must be met:

Oh no.

There are no more 55+ complexes remaining anymore in the State of Florida. The state legislature ruled the 55+ policy to be age discriminatory; a violation of federal statutes in 2004. whistling.gif

Many 55+ comunities in FL

http://www.spanishlakes.com/

Florida's 55+ top 10 list

http://www.glhomes.com/pages-valencia-bay-valencia-lakes-55-living?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr5G5BRD_n-T0pf7x4ucBEiQAlxHOP54Gj6HIJQCacoGw2-IfvANljoUbMYEB0h8g8DJbPVMaAl288P8HAQ

55 & Over Housing: What is the 80/20 Rule?

http://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/2010/04/articles/fair-housing/55-over-housing-what-is-the-8020-rule/

Oh no.

Googling 55 and older communities in Florida brings up a huge list of them.

Deja vous.

I'm from California but I've often thought Florida might be someplace I would like to try.

I've heard some folks put it in the "horrible" category though, but some folks seem to like it there. That's how it goes I guess.

I was speaking to someone who winters in Stuart, Florida and then generally returns to his home in the New York area, so I looked Stuart up on the net.

There are one bedroom condo's of roughly 700 sq feet available for around $50,000, with what I took to be a monthly charge of $240 and annual taxes of $600. This seems affordable unless I am missing something.

Or does this class as a "horrible" place or any better or worse than most of Florida. (I am a Brit with limited experience of the U.S.A.).

Stuart has some very good deals on some modest places. there are lots of duplexes there all over the place. My friend rented a place in Jensen beach for one year. Apparently his family went there for long vacations when he was younger. Parts of it can be a bit isolated in its own way though. Car and drive to get anywhere. Definitely not a metropolitan area. All up and down the coast from there down to Jupiter Fl are worth a look. I just moved from North Palm Beach a few miles up the road to Jupiter FL. Car insurance went down. Public transport, not much of an option. Palm Beach county actually has some busses and the tri rail thingy. I took the challenge on my last return trip from Thailand to see if I could get the bus from PBI to my place off of US 1. It was OK. From the airport the bus goes to the transit center where you change busses. Took some extra time of course, but it saved me from bothering anybody to come pick me up. I figured I can get around Thailand by bus, I should damn well be able to get it done back home!

Melbourne FL is expanding a bit. Lots of traffic. Northrop just won that big Long Range Strike Bomber contract so there will be lots of activity in that area for a while. Some decent houses up there, some with pools in the 200K USD range

I am finding this tool useful to see how specific zip codes have recovered (or not) since the 2004 real estate crash. It also gives a general description of the racial demographics are the zip code.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonk/housing/overview/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_housing-beltway-1005pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Can look at zip code maps here:

http://www.city-data.com/

Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes, I would probably need to work but frankly at this point I'm probably (more like definitely) unemployable (gaps the size of the Holland tunnel).

Thus the emphasis on low cost.

I assume it being the U.S. some kind of car would be needed almost everywhere.

Except for places like San Francisco (seriously can't afford) or Chicago (like it but TOO cold).

If it comes to this, I'm sure gonna miss the baht buses. Even the drivers!

. Go to Sausalito, buy a boat , sailboat , oil burner, whatever for a few thousand and you can live aboard a boat for under 600 a month, it's the last boat slips in Sausalito, right before you go NB on 101 take a right, and follow road all the way to the end, I think the cheapest slips in Sausalito that allows live a boards, Richardson Marina or something like that, nothing like a sleep on the water, maybe rent it out or Air B and B , when not there by the month or more, my bro has a 45 ft there, it's the cheapest way to go in Bay Area

Yes, I would probably need to work but frankly at this point I'm probably (more like definitely) unemployable (gaps the size of the Holland tunnel).

Except for places like San Francisco (seriously can't afford) or Chicago (like it but TOO cold).

. Go to Sausalito, buy a boat , sailboat , oil burner, whatever for a few thousand and you can live aboard a boat for under 600 a month, it's the last boat slips in Sausalito, right before you go NB on 101 take a right, and follow road all the way to the end, I think the cheapest slips in Sausalito that allows live a boards, Richardson Marina or something like that, nothing like a sleep on the water, maybe rent it out or Air B and B , when not there by the month or more, my bro has a 45 ft there, it's the cheapest way to go in Bay Area

Yes, I've visited people on those boats. Not my scene and I find Sausalito and Marin mentality too precious.

Edited by Jingthing

Boats are money pits. That $600 will turn into $1600 or more in a flash

. Boloney, fiberglass sailboat will keep ,and you use the showers on dock so u don't wear out ur equipment, Teak , a whole diff. Story, Marinites, morons, but ur a ferry away from SF and ur old SF haunts ( food), and $1600 is low costs compared to a house costs, 1600 gonna kill u, Stay here, Please, just saying if u like the Bay Area, no cheaper way to go, my friend bought 2 story houseboat for 125k, concrete hull, maintenance, nil Edited by Ireland32

. Boloney, fiberglass sailboat will keep ,and you use the showers on dock so u don't wear out ur equipment, Teak , a whole diff. Story, Marinites, morons, but ur a ferry away from SF and ur old SF haunts ( food), and $1600 is low costs compared to a house costs, 1600 gonna kill u, Stay here, Please, just saying if u like the Bay Area, no cheaper way to go, my friend bought 2 story houseboat for 125k, concrete hull, maintenance, nil

How could I be so silly as to believe that boats sitting in water all day in all weather require maintenance ! The 2 happiest days in a boat owner's life.......

Market rents are very high!

That's why not rent.

In 2015, the demand for rental apartments reached its highest level ever since the 1960s. The pinched access to mortgage credit after the Great Recession is one reason why. Another is that many Americans—especially the poor and people of color—haven’t felt the effects of the economic recovery, and may not be able to rustle up the funds for a down payment. A third reason is that Millennials, now the largest generation ever since the baby boomers, are especially loath to buy homes. The supply of rentals, especially at the lower end of the market, has been no match for the skyrocketing demand.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2016/05/the-hourly-wage-needed-to-rent-a-2-bedroom-apartment-in-2016-mapped/484091/

Here is an impossible question.

Is there a decent source for real estate price projections for long periods of time, say FIVE YEARS, obviously localized?

Zillow I think does short term predictions.

Interesting in longer term.

Edited by Jingthing

Let me check ...

Florida?

Arizona?

The streets?

Not being flip. It's a real social problem. What happens when you're old and things really have gone south ...

Old and on the Street: The
Graying of America’s Homeless

Some are more recent arrivals and have been forced — at a time of life when some people their age are debating whether to retire to Arizona or to Florida — to learn the ways of homelessness after losing jobs in the latest economic downturn. And there are some on a fixed income who cannot afford the rent in places like Los Angeles, which has a vacancy rate of less than 3 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/us/americas-aging-homeless-old-and-on-the-street.html?_r=0

Edited by Jingthing

Let me check ...

Florida?

Arizona?

The streets?

Not being flip. It's a real social problem. What happens when you're old and things really have gone south ...

Old and on the Street: The
Graying of America’s Homeless

Some are more recent arrivals and have been forced — at a time of life when some people their age are debating whether to retire to Arizona or to Florida — to learn the ways of homelessness after losing jobs in the latest economic downturn. And there are some on a fixed income who cannot afford the rent in places like Los Angeles, which has a vacancy rate of less than 3 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/us/americas-aging-homeless-old-and-on-the-street.html?_r=0

8 years of Obama and I moved to Thailand. It is a lot better here (Thailand).

• Like 1

I guess it doesn't help but the only place I would consider would be San Diego. I was there for 30 years before coming to Thailand. It ain't cheap though. Lectured in Houston several times, thought it was a hell hole, couldn't wait to leave.

Lived in San Francisco but that was 73 & 74 it was like a dream. Unfortunately now it's a high priced nightmare.

You could find deals out in "East County" of San Diego. Areas of Vegas North of West Lake Mead BLVD could work. Spent a lot of time in Boulder City just outside Vegas on Lake Mead.

Unless you catch some lucky break your pretty much gonna get what ya pay for...

• Like 2