USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Doesn’t take long to get used to it. Again, really not that bad.

You're speaking for yourself. I'm speaking for myself. OK with you? 

It's off topic here but just look up mortality rates of homeless people in the USA.

With older people with chronic health concerns, it doesn't take a genius to understand homelessness is even more life threatening.

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/14/death_on_the_street_americas_homeless_population_is_growing_older_and_sicker_partner/

"Death on the street

We have known for years that homeless people are likely to die prematurely."

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're speaking for yourself. I'm speaking for myself. OK with you? 

It's off topic here but just look up mortality rates of homeless people in the USA.

With older people with chronic health concerns, it doesn't take a genius to understand homelessness is even more life threatening.

https://www.salon.com/2016/04/14/death_on_the_street_americas_homeless_population_is_growing_older_and_sicker_partner/

"Death on the street

We have known for years that homeless people are likely to die prematurely."

Unlike a lot others around here (present company excluded) I'm all I ever claim to speak for. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Salon, "As research shows, homeless people in their 50’s and 60’s have similar or worse health problems than people in the general population who are in their 70’s and 80’s.". I hope they didn't spend too much money on this research. Homeless people their 50’s and 60’s with worse health problems don't live to their 70’s and 80’s."

8 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Salon, "As research shows, homeless people in their 50’s and 60’s have similar or worse health problems than people in the general population who are in their 70’s and 80’s.". I hope they didn't spend too much money on this research. Homeless people their 50’s and 60’s with worse health problems don't live to their 70’s and 80’s."

I find your point irrelevant. 

Let's not get too far off topic, OK? 

Thai Health Insurance: Here’s What You Need to Know as an Expat.

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/money/thailand-health-insurance/

I can't attest to the accuracy of this article. However, finding healthcare insurance for someone over 65 would be prohibitively near impossible or expensive. Unless, you had a previous plan that would cover you into old age. That's a huge consideration. If you are young, who cares. Well, everyone will meet the fate of time.

In the U.S. while not a perfect system you would have Medicare and the lower your income the better off for you. If you worked most of your life with S.S. and with modest savings and assets there's little reason you can't find a low cost location in the U.S. Being involved in the community would also be helpful. I know, I am living this life. 

I would love to live in Thailand, been there for many extended times. Though Thailand might be 'a No Country for Old Men'. You would need a exit plan.

27 minutes ago, Kim1950 said:

Thai Health Insurance: Here’s What You Need to Know as an Expat.

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/money/thailand-health-insurance/

I can't attest to the accuracy of this article. However, finding healthcare insurance for someone over 65 would be prohibitively near impossible or expensive. Unless, you had a previous plan that would cover you into old age. That's a huge consideration. If you are young, who cares. Well, everyone will meet the fate of time.

In the U.S. while not a perfect system you would have Medicare and the lower your income the better off for you. If you worked most of your life with S.S. and with modest savings and assets there's little reason you can't find a low cost location in the U.S. Being involved in the community would also be helpful. I know, I am living this life. 

I would love to live in Thailand, been there for many extended times. Though Thailand might be 'a No Country for Old Men'. You would need a exit plan.

Explain how you are better off with low income on Medicare in the U.S. rather than high income. 

I've read in many sources that the average lifetime out of pocket expenses for an older American on Medicare (obviously you need to pay premiums for the supplemental part(s) as well) is about 150,000 dollars. 

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Explain how you are better off with low income on Medicare in the U.S. rather than high income. 

I've read in many sources that the average lifetime out of pocket expenses for an older American on Medicare (obviously you need to pay premiums for the supplemental part(s) as well) is about 150,000 dollars. 

I think he may be referring to Medicaid, which is free for people with no money that have not paid into the system.

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

For starters: There are others.

Low-Income Subsidy -- Medicare Extra Help Program

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-part-d-prescription/low-income-subsidy/

The other, hardcare option, you can 't get money, if you have no money. This assumes you are renting, have limited money or assets. The challenge is having a place to live, a supporting social network, and some means of transportation. I live in Metro Boston, not cheap, my place to livel, $421.00.

I am not paying $150K. Most people with large assets would want good coverage so they don't lose those assets 

I suggest, if you want to expat back to the U.S, you motivate yourself as you want to succeed with your goal.

This is my case, in reverse, as I am trying to succeed to expat back to Thailand. My challenge is overcoming healthcare options for being over 65 in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Kim1950 said:

For starters: There are others.

Low-Income Subsidy -- Medicare Extra Help Program

https://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-part-d-prescription/low-income-subsidy/

The other, hardcare option, you can 't get money, if you have no money. This assumes you are renting, have limited money or assets. The challenge is having a place to live, a supporting social network, and some means of transportation. I live in Metro Boston, not cheap, my place to livel, $421.00.

I am not paying $150K. Most people with large assets would want good coverage so they don't lose those assets 

I suggest, if you want to expat back to the U.S, you motivate yourself as you want to succeed with your goal.

This is my case, in reverse, as I am trying to succeed to expat back to Thailand. My challenge is overcoming healthcare options for being over 65 in Thailand. 

I don't find your post very compelling but thanks for the response anyway. 

I was talking about an average 150,000 dollars out of pocket over a lifetime in older years Medicare covered people. Obviously that means much less for some, much more for others, depending on specific issues and life span. Also, it's pretty common for a huge chunk of spending to be done end of life. I had a relative that basically offed himself at that time to preserve a legacy. Cheerful stuff!

Edited by Jingthing
3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good luck. 

We all need it. 

As they say, it always happens to someone else, like illness, until it happens to you. Eat well, exercise, hope for good genes, and before you are out of money, live well, follow your dreams, and hope to unexpectedly die in your sleep. Good luck.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't find your post very compelling but thanks for the response anyway. 

I was talking about an average 150,000 dollars out of pocket over a lifetime in older years Medicare covered people. Obviously that means much less for some, much more for others, depending on specific issues and life span. Also, it's pretty common for a huge chunk of spending to be done end of life. I had a relative that basically offed himself at that time to preserve a legacy. Cheerful stuff!

With all due respect....

You should find his post compelling as it is true & he is living in the USA so is giving you actual/factual info

You have been asking for years this question & mention/quote much hearsay & articles but "that" is not factual

It may be similar to all  the move to Thailand where you can live for $500 articles (albeit in reverse cost wise)

Yet folks who actually live in Thailand laugh at as those articles  are so far from reality

Well this is similar because,

1- You are not an average American so many things you quote will not apply to you ( If you were then you would have a lifetime of US income,401K etc & probably not be worried)

2- If you are under the poverty line  (something like $13,800 per year) There are as Kim1950 pointed out many options

for free medical care

3- Counter to what you may have heard folks are not left without care/meds etc in the USA

Having a crazy relative does not have to apply to you

You have asked here for years asked about it & it will never resolve or be an answer for you

Same as a person asking for years about moving to Thailand

It is something that needs feet on the ground..Deals you will never see posted in articles you quote exist.

If I were to believe any of these articles well I could never live where I live because it would be well beyond my range...Yet here I am

So it comes down to doing...You need to decide & do it or not

If you really want it you will find a way to resolve it in USA

If instead deep down you think you prefer Thailand then it is fine to accept it fully

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
As they say, it always happens to someone else, like illness, until it happens to you. Eat well, exercise, hope for good genes, and before you are out of money, live well, follow your dreams, and hope to unexpectedly die in your sleep. Good luck.

Well it is a crap shoot. I’ve been here 16 years and the cost of my insurance is always significantly more that what I have claimed.

This year, my premium more than doubled and my deductible jumped to $9k.

I have a bit of dough set back and over a $100k of credit cards I can use in a pinch.
On 2/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, mogandave said:

Well it is a crap shoot. I’ve been here 16 years and the cost of my insurance is always significantly more that what I have claimed.

This year, my premium more than doubled and my deductible jumped to $9k.

I have a bit of dough set back and over a $100k of credit cards I can use in a pinch.

Why so defensive and sensitive, is this topic troubling to you. It's a generalization to make a point and not directed specifically to you and you also seem not to have read the article that I linked in my first post.

Most people would like to die in their sleep there, here, no matter your healthcare coverage. In Thailand if you require long term healthcare or care for a serious health condition without insurance I would imagine you would need a decent bank account or line of credit. Depending on the extent of these assets, they might expire with no safety net. Beats me there might be other options. One might be a loving spouse. It's your choice.

Like all developing countries, it's only a matter of time, Thailand will require healthcare, maybe not in your lifetime,, but at some time.

If you are living your dream in Thailand and content with your healthcare coverage, live on, enjoy. Relax, it's better for your heart.

2 hours ago, norrska said:

Well put and thanks for sharing the experience.

Speaking for myself, Thailand has a plus. Like right now, I am shoveling snow that could pull my back and at times using a snow blower that could chop off my fingers. When I worked in Thailand I was on a large companies 'high flyers' expense. Good duty. I am also a Vietnam War veteran with a disability and aside from Medicare I can receive VA healthcare. Speaking for myself, most people, with perseverance, a social network, and a will to live won't do without healthcare in the U.S. I don't claim to speak for anybody else.

• 2 weeks later...

Las Vegas Nevada and nearby areas mentioned several times before. 

Like most U.S.locations they have an affordable housing crisis and homelessness.

But it sounds like at least they are taking the problem seriously and trying to do something about it. 

“The long game is to be sure that there is actually housing available for low-income individuals to rent,” she says.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/las-vegas-isnt-clearing-its-homeless-encampmentits-making-it-permanent

a good friend lived in Las Vegas for years with her daughter who was in the hospitality business and her disabled adopted daughter...she left last year as there was an opportunity to live in Portland OR that has better facilities for the disabled one...

she never said anything bad about Las Vegas but is now quite happy to be living in Portland and said that I should come to visit some day...she has a nice garden for a bar-b-que...and we useta enjoy bbq chicken and red wine and a discussion...with a bean or potato salad...

Portland is supposed to be the last 'affordable' place on the US west coast...but I'm not sure what that means in terms of penurious retirement...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Portland is supposed to be the last 'affordable' place on the US west coast...but I'm not sure what that means in terms of penurious retirement...

I think that's true as far as major cities go.  For a much better climate but a less urban environment but also lower prices there is Asland/Medford down near the California border. Ashland more arty/ Uni economy, Medford more resource based economy. Both have a large contingent of retirees.

Just now, lannarebirth said:

I think that's true as far as major cities go.  For a much better climate but a less urban environment but also lower prices there is Asland/Medford down near the California border. Ashland more arty/ Uni economy, Medford more resource based economy. Both have a large contingent of retirees.

that's very interesting but where do they get the housing? the last thing you want is a miserable shack in the woods with a wood stove when yer 70 y.o....there's always the shakespeare festival and etc in Ashland but it was always a small town as I remember...don't know much about Medford but I spent a weekend in Roseburg and that was grim...

southern Oregon has potential but it useta be very rural with limited facilities, haven't been up that way in over 30 years...and presently not sure what the demographic is regarding Trump and his supporters...mostly loggin' douglas fir in the old days...I lived and worked in the woods outta Springfield for 2 years and I would hate to speculate...I know what those folks were like and my conscience eventually chased me out back to  the progressive environs of California in the late 70s...never had much contact with the local counterculture folks in those days, too busy bein' a logger...I did say hello to Ken Kesey in the little store where I bought beer on the way home from work near where he lived but that doesn't count...

('say man, I heard you sayin' to yer pardner that you wanted to go into town (Eugene, college town) to see Juliet of the spirits...'  'yeah...'  'that's a good one, non linear narrative and worth seein'...'  'yeah...'...)

2 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

that's very interesting but where do they get the housing? the last thing you want is a miserable shack in the woods with a wood stove when yer 70 y.o....there's always the shakespeare festival and etc in Ashland but it was always a small town as I remember...don't know much about Medford but I spent a weekend in Roseburg and that was grim...

southern Oregon has potential but it useta be very rural with limited facilities, haven't been up that way in over 30 years...and presently not sure what the demographic is regarding Trump and his supporters...mostly loggin' douglas fir in the old days...I lived and worked in the woods outta Springfield for 2 years and I would hate to speculate...I know what those folks were like and my conscience eventually chased me out back to  the progressive environs of California in the late 70s...never had much contact with the local counterculture folks in those days, too busy bein' a logger...I did say hello to Ken Kesey in the little store where I bought beer on the way home from work near where he lived but that doesn't count...

('say man, I heard you sayin' to yer pardner that you wanted to go into town (Eugene, college town) to see Juliet of the spirits...'  'yeah...'  'that's a good one, non linear narrative and worth seein'...'  'yeah...'...)

Ashland is a year round theater town now. Full of people up from The City on weekends. Four year college town.  Liberal sensibility. It has changed a lot in 30 years. Medford still transitioning between mill town, orchard packing houses to modern place. More conservative. Pretty though, and the climate is very good througout the Rogue River Valley.  4 seasons and less than 20 inches of rainfall/snowfall per year. Lots of sunshine unlike Eugene and points north..

16 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Ashland is a year round theater town now. Full of people up from The City on weekends. Four year college town.  Liberal sensibility. It has changed a lot in 30 years. Medford still transitioning between mill town, orchard packing houses to modern place. More conservative. Pretty though, and the climate is very good througout the Rogue River Valley.  4 seasons and less than 20 inches of rainfall/snowfall per year. Lots of sunshine unlike Eugene and points north..

yeah...that country has a lotta things goin' for it...the Rogue River Valley is quite nice...so, some good ideas...maybe I'll get an old pick up and ooze in with my old riggin' clothes and a wad of copenhagen and check it out...traditional folks that respect old age...

('where ye from, old timer?'  'aw, useta work on riggin' crews in Alaska an up outta Springfield... now I ain't got no money an' lookin' fer a place to stay...'  'yew just wait, we'll get somethin' fer ye...')

• Like 1

Climate is a major factor in the desirability of an area. But it's becoming much more of a moving target ...

Welcome to the Age of Climate Migration

In the not-so-distant future, places like Phoenix and Tucson will become so hot that just walking across the street will be a life-threatening event. Parts of the upper Middle West will become a permanent dust bowl. South Florida and low-lying sections of the Gulf Coast will be underwater.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/welcome-to-the-age-of-climate-migration-w516974

Ironic that I would suggest this after a Climate Change comment, but if it were me I'd look at Louisiana. Maybe the Baton Rouge area... If you've lived in Thailand a while it will be much less of a shock to your system... near tropical weather, spicy food, and cheap livin'...

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Climate is a major factor in the desirability of an area. But it's becoming much more of a moving target ...

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/welcome-to-the-age-of-climate-migration-w516974

Thanks for posting that article. A very well written and interesting read.

It's not a very pretty picture being painted there for the future. And there are times when I think, I'm kind of glad I probably won't be around to see the worst of it.

• Thanks 1

If you're looking at cities with a good balance between CoL/job opportunities and salaries, then Texas and other sunbelt locales such as Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh, or Phoenix are your best bet. As far as housing costs go, I agree it's important to look at affordability and that most "desirable" American cities are way overpriced but you get what you pay for in most other areas.  I'm originally from southwestern PA, which is constantly touted in the media as "livable" and "affordable" but the CoL isn't low when you run the numbers, considering when the poor job market/salaries there pretty much make the cheaper housing costs a wash unless you work in healthcare, or you're a higher education bureaucrat.