The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

1 minute ago, Mover1 said:

My 6 month METV runs out on 21/09/16, so if i get a flight back into Thailand on 20/09/16 does that mean i get another 60 days?

As long as you enter on or before the enter before date on you visa you will get a 60 day entry.

I'm looking at the form to apply for a METV it ask

Arrival Date    Departure date    Length of Stay      Number of Entries . 

I want to stay for the 6 months and then possible get a 30 day visa exempt at a land boarder or a SETV. What do I put in the Departure,Length and # of entries fields??

35 minutes ago, riclag said:

I'm looking at the form to apply for a METV it ask

Arrival Date    Departure date    Length of Stay      Number of Entries . 

I want to stay for the 6 months and then possible get a 30 day visa exempt at a land boarder or a SETV. What do I put in the Departure,Length and # of entries fields??

Since the visa only allows 60 day entries everything you put should be equal to 60 days or less.

Number of entries is M for multiple.

You can do a entry on or before the enter before date that will be on the visa and get another 60 days that can be extended for 30 days that can give you a total stay of almost 9 months.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since the visa only allows 60 day entries everything you put should be equal to 60 days or less.

Number of entries is M for multiple.

You can do a entry on or before the enter before date that will be on the visa and get another 60 days that can be extended for 30 days that can give you a total stay of almost 9 months.

Sorry I dont understand.  What do I fill in(Portland ,Ore).for  a length of stay (I possible want to go the 9 months and or get a SETV or a visa exempt entry? That could bring me almost a year stay.And what about a departure day? 

Edited by riclag

Just now, riclag said:

Sorry I dont understand.  What do I fill in for  a length of stay (I possible want to go the 9 months and or get a SETV or a visa exempt entry? That could bring me almost a year stay.And what about a departure day? 

Length of stay is not your total planned stay it needs to be within the 60 day entries the visa allows. Arrival and departure dates should not be longer than 60 days apart.

What you put on the visa application does not lock you in to those dates.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Length of stay is not your total planned stay it needs to be within the 60 day entries the visa allows. Arrival and departure dates should not be longer than 60 days apart.

What you put on the visa application does not lock you in to those dates.

Maybe it would of made sense if I gave my arrival Sept 9th. METV  issue date will be August 29th.So 6 months from Aug 29th is  Feb 28,2017 .So I could say departure is  59 days from the entry date ,roughly Oct 28 2016. What could I put down for Length of stay  

Edited by riclag

Sorry if I'm sounding like a dunce but I just dont want to screw up and  if at the 11th hour Portland says they didnt accept my app because I filled in the days wrong. I would be so beside myself .

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

Or i could put arrival sept 9th  departure Feb 27 2017(which would be the enter before date) and the length of stay would be 171 days. How  does that sound?

`The visa not does not allow you to stay for 171 continuous days. Just put arrival on September 9th and depart 60 days later.

Portland will not reject your application for what you put on the application form. They will on care about the supporting documents you submit.

37 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

I just picked up my METV visa and on the application I had 80 days and they said it was fine. The enter before date was August 4, 2017.

It is within the 90 days limit (60+30) so that should always be possible. But yes, every embassy and consulate might take a different view on this.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

`The visa not does not allow you to stay for 171 continuous days. Just put arrival on September 9th and depart 60 days later.

Portland will not reject your application for what you put on the application form. They will on care about the supporting documents you submit.

Thanks Joe for bearing with me lol

6 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

I just picked up my METV visa and on the application I had 80 days and they said it was fine. The enter before date was August 4, 2017.

An METV with an enter before date of August 4, 2017 does not seem right. If it is an METV, the enter before date should be 6 months from the date of issue.

24 minutes ago, bigbeetle said:

On the Thai consulate website they announce:from 15-08-2016 no multiple entries anymore, non-immigrant O as well tourist visa, somebody know more about this?

http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl/index.php/visa-service/visum-aanvragen

It seems the consulate is no longer going to do multiple entry visas of any kind. Certainly local not worldwide.

You could check with the embassy to find out if they will do them.

8 hours ago, bigbeetle said:

On the Thai consulate website they announce:from 15-08-2016 no multiple entries anymore, non-immigrant O as well tourist visa, somebody know more about this?

http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl/index.php/visa-service/visum-aanvragen

This page, http://www.royalthaiconsulateamsterdam.nl/index.php/en/visa-service/visa-exemption, suggests that the METV can still be issued with the appropriate conditions satisfied.

2 hours ago, bigjohn72 said:

Melbourne says te same

http://www.thaiconsulatemelbourne.com

Not exactly the same. It only mentions multiple entry non immigrant visas. The Amsterdam consulate states no multiple entry visas of any class.

Visa Processing Update:
Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry 

As of Monday 15 August, The Royal Thai Consulate General Melbourne will no longer issue Non-immigrant Multiple Entry Visas. All Non-immigrant Multiple Entry Visas will now be issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra. For more information on how to apply please visit  http://canberra.thaiembassy.org

8 hours ago, bigbeetle said:

Yes, but if you read the site in dutch language it isn't possible anymore from tomorrow, I will check with the embassy tomorrow.

VISUMAANVRAAG

MET INGANG VAN 15-08-2016 VERSTREKKEN WIJ GEEN  MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA.

I read the Dutch. I wonder if the announcement was supposed to refer to multiple Non O and Non B, and the apparent inclusion of METV was unintended.

I went to apply for a 3 entry tourist in Denver, USA like I do every summer and was surprised to learn that these have been replaced by the METV. The women said literally the day before I called (August 14th) all honorary Thai consulates have been issued a 30 page documented stating among other things that they can not issue the METV and this must be done through an embassy (like in LA or DC).

Like many people I presume I'm totally screwed now since I don't have $7000 USD for the METV nor can I afford to marry my girlfriend of 4 years until I can come up with 400k baht. Is my best option to get a single entry (all they offer in Denver anyways) and attempt to buy 2 addition single entries by flying out of Thailand to say Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Singapore or any others? I bought my ticket in Thailand so I have no return flight to the USA and I'm afraid if I attempt 3 entries from tourist visas I'll get denied and have serious last minute choices to make.

Just a heads up for people that were planning on doing a walk in METV application at their local consulate because as of August 14th this isn't an option.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

I went to apply for a 3 entry tourist in Denver, USA like I do every summer and was surprised to learn that these have been replaced by the METV. The women said literally the day before I called (August 14th) all honorary Thai consulates have been issued a 30 page documented stating among other things that they can not issue the METV and this must be done through an embassy (like in LA or DC).

Like many people I presume I'm totally screwed now since I don't have $7000 USD for the METV nor can I afford to marry my girlfriend of 4 years until I can come up with 400k baht. Is my best option to get a single entry (all they offer in Denver anyways) and attempt to buy 2 addition single entries by flying out of Thailand to say Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Singapore or any others? I bought my ticket in Thailand so I have no return flight to the USA and I'm afraid if I attempt 3 entries from tourist visas I'll get denied and have serious last minute choices to make.

Just a heads up for people that were planning on doing a walk in METV application at their local consulate because as of August 14th this isn't an option.

If, as I suspect, you have been about 6 months out of Thailand, I think you will be fine with SETVs. You will not need a return flight if you have the initial SETV. Although a bit of a hassle, getting additional SETVs from some of the consulates in neighboring countries should be easy, and the immigration officials will have no problem given the long gap before your initial entry. Relax.

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

Like many people I presume I'm totally screwed now since I don't have $7000 USD for the METV nor can I afford to marry my girlfriend of 4 years until I can come up with 400k baht.

You don't need 400k baht in the bank to get married. There are no financial requirements to register your marriage at an Amphoe. The 400k baht is to apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office.

After you get married you could get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date issue with no financial proof needed at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

If, as I suspect, you have been about 6 months out of Thailand, I think you will be fine with SETVs. You will not need a return flight if you have the initial SETV. Although a bit of a hassle, getting additional SETVs from some of the consulates in neighboring countries should be easy, and the immigration officials will have no problem given the long gap before your initial entry. Relax.

Is about 6 months out of Thailand the benchmark before they consider you having too many tourist visas? I usually stay in USA 2-3 months out of each year so I left Thailand on June 15th and I got a return ticket for September 1st (only 2 1/2 months out of country).

I know they've cracked down on visa runs for years now (which is why I would always fly back to USA and get the 3 entry) even though I'm not sure if me flying to USA takes me out of the category. Before I left I needed an extra 2 weeks for the plane departure so I tried a land crossing at Mae Sai and was turned away. I've never had any visa problems before so I already feel like a criminal and I'm worried about this happening again.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You don't need 400k baht in the bank to get married. There are no financial requirements to register your marriage at an Amphoe. The 400k baht is to apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office.

After you get married you could get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date issue with no financial proof needed at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

Is that a special omission from that particular location? I was reading all the forums today and from what I could gather you can get registered and even get the visa but after 90 days or so I needed to do an extension and that's when I would be required to show the funds. I knew I should have been planning for this eventual cost watching the visas become more and more strict since 2005 when I first came but I put it off and now getting 400k is well out of reach at least in the short term.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Is that a special omission from that particular location? I was reading all the forums today and from what I could gather you can get registered and even get the visa but after 90 days or so I needed to do an extension and that's when I would be required to show the funds. I knew I should have been planning for this eventual cost watching the visas become more and more strict since 2005 when I first came but I put it off and now getting 400k is well out of reach at least in the short term.

Thanks.

Registering you marriage at an Amphoe and getting a visa from an embassy are two very separate things. You could stay here after getting married on visa exempt entries if you wanted to.

What you wrote about is getting a single entry non-o visa that allows a 90 day entry and then applying for an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration which does require 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Nothing special at Savannakhet to get the multiple entry visa with no financial proof. There are many places that will issue the same visa with no financial proof.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

Is about 6 months out of Thailand the benchmark before they consider you having too many tourist visas? I usually stay in USA 2-3 months out of each year so I left Thailand on June 15th and I got a return ticket for September 1st (only 2 1/2 months out of country).

I know they've cracked down on visa runs for years now (which is why I would always fly back to USA and get the 3 entry) even though I'm not sure if me flying to USA takes me out of the category. Before I left I needed an extra 2 weeks for the plane departure so I tried a land crossing at Mae Sai and was turned away. I've never had any visa problems before so I already feel like a criminal and I'm worried about this happening again.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

Really, it is a matter of the longer the better. To some extent, it depends on the individual immigration officials as to whether they consider you a bona fide tourist or not. IMHO, most IOs would look at 2 plus months back in the USA and stamp you in without any further thought. It is just barely possible you could have a problem at certain land borders, but surely not anything insoluble. I am sure that getting the SETVs would be easy as long as you went to the friendly consulates. There is a crackdown on people "living in Thailand on tourist visas and visa exempt entries" but they are not being heavy handed about it.

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

Really, it is a matter of the longer the better. To some extent, it depends on the individual immigration officials as to whether they consider you a bona fide tourist or not. IMHO, most IOs would look at 2 plus months back in the USA and stamp you in without any further thought. It is just barely possible you could have a problem at certain land borders, but surely not anything insoluble. I am sure that getting the SETVs would be easy as long as you went to the friendly consulates. There is a crackdown on people "living in Thailand on tourist visas and visa exempt entries" but they are not being heavy handed about it.

Thanks that makes sense. Which consulates are "friendly"? I live in Chiang Mai but I was at least planning to visit my dad in Cambodia (fly in to Phanom pen) and I did go to Vientiane once about 5 years ago when I messed up and lost my final entry but that was a land border I believe where Cambodia I flew in although you could cross by land...