The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

31 minutes ago, br0wnd0g23 said:

Has anyone got a metv in the hk embassy. I have emailed them requesting more info, but they are giving the usual silent reply.
I am a British citizen with a hk work permit. So don't see why should be an issue.

I am sure they do if you are a legal resident of Hong Kong.

Tryed to confirm on their website but it is down at this time. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Tryed to confirm on their website but it is down at this time. http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049

Here is a useful trick to be aware of that works pretty well in most cases like this. You can use the Internet Archive (http://archive.org. In the case above, this will lead you to https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161017120310/http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049. While that is a six-month old version of the site, it may be sufficient to find the information of interest.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Here is a useful trick to be aware of that works pretty well in most cases like this. You can use the Internet Archive (http://archive.org. In the case above, this will lead you to https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161017120310/http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4049. While that is a six-month old version of the site, it may be sufficient to find the information of interest.

The problem is that you have to select your nationality from the drop down menu. Tried it and it did not work.

I recently obtained an METV from the Liverpool Consulate.

I fulfilled the 7 criteria for the METV listed on their website. I had the impression the checking was a little more cursory than 12 months' previous when the METV was still fairly new and the issuing of METV's by consulates may have been subject to greater London Embassy oversight and sample auditing.

On a related note, when I flew out of Suwannaphum to the UK, I was subjected to an odd series of questions e.g. "Why you go walking Mukdahan?" I think this meant, "Why did you do an in-and-out at Mukdahan?" But the questions were all wrong as I did not do an in and out at Mukdahan. The officer seemed quite het up about something. Another one, "Why you no visa?" But I always have a visa when I enter Thailand and I never use visa exemptions. So the whole incident was confusing and disturbing. The catalyst for the questions seemed to be the number of tourist visas in my passport, 8. It would have been easier if she had spoken Thai.

There was a short delay on the way back in, 4 weeks later, again at Suwannaphum. "What you do Thailand?" This question seemed to have been prompted by the number of Thai stickers in the passport, now 9.

Time for a new passport, I think.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

On a related note, when I flew out of Suwannaphum to the UK, I was subjected to an odd series of questions e.g. "Why you go walking Mukdahan?" I think this meant, "Why did you do an in-and-out at Mukdahan?" But the questions were all wrong as I did not do an in and out at Mukdahan. The officer seemed quite het up about something. Another one, "Why you no visa?" But I always have a visa when I enter Thailand and I never use visa exemptions. So the whole incident was confusing and disturbing. The catalyst for the questions seemed to be the number of tourist visas in my passport, 8. It would have been easier if she had spoken Thai.

There was a short delay on the way back in, 4 weeks later, again at Suwannaphum. "What you do Thailand?" This question seemed to have been prompted by the number of Thai stickers in the passport, now 9.

Time for a new passport, I think.

I would say, "Definitely" time for a new passport.  Note: They will still be able to see your entire history if they choose to dig for it in their computer-system, but it won't be staring them in the face as pages of TR stickers.  I have found my entries/exits are much quicker after obtaining a new passport, simply because they seem to check every used-page and stamp in it.

Also: Be sure to have 20K Baht worth of currency or travelers checks on your person when entering.  You can be legally denied entry for not having this.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I have a TR M multi entry visa. I find it's great and after 60 days I fly or bus over to Cambodia etc. and then come back in to Thailand without having to apply for a new visa. 

BUT, now I don't need to go to a wedding in Cambodia and can stay in Thailand longer so I would like to ask has anyone been able to extend in Thailand their 60 days to 90 days using a multi-entry visa. I would ideally like to go to immigration and pay the extra for another 30 days if possible. 

I am also assuming that if I get another 30 days my 6 month visa is still valid until it expires in August?

1 hour ago, bskerr2 said:

I have a TR M multi entry visa. I find it's great and after 60 days I fly or bus over to Cambodia etc. and then come back in to Thailand without having to apply for a new visa. 

BUT, now I don't need to go to a wedding in Cambodia and can stay in Thailand longer so I would like to ask has anyone been able to extend in Thailand their 60 days to 90 days using a multi-entry visa. I would ideally like to go to immigration and pay the extra for another 30 days if possible. 

I am also assuming that if I get another 30 days my 6 month visa is still valid until it expires in August?

Yes, no problem to extend your current 60 days by 30 days at Immigration (1,900b). And it won´t have any impact on the last entry before date (which you say in your case is August).

FYI- we've just been denied a multiple entry visa applying in Wellington,New Zealand with a U.K. And N.Z passport. Last three years we've had a multiple with no problems. No explanation was given. Everything submitted fine, money in account etc etc. We come back to work in nz for 2-3 months, then holiday, chill and travel in Thailand for 8. Hopefully this was a one off, and others don't get denied for "no reason"!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 8:49 PM, Rudyv said:

I always stay 3 weeks.

I did that a few months ago. Re-entered just before the 6 month expiry, got additional 60 days and then extended that by 30 days. No problem.

Ah, wrong quote. I was referring to this:

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Edited by cdaobliss
Wrong quote

FYI- we've just been denied a multiple entry visa applying in Wellington,New Zealand with a U.K. And N.Z passport. Last three years we've had a multiple with no problems. No explanation was given. Everything submitted fine, money in account etc etc. We come back to work in nz for 2-3 months, then holiday, chill and travel in Thailand for 8. Hopefully this was a one off, and others don't get denied for "no reason"!

A little worrying that, i guess you just need to get single entry tourist visas instead

7 hours ago, mrastoney said:

Were you applying using your British or New Zealand passport?

7 hours ago, mrastoney said:

Seems a little odd so you paid your non refundable fee had everything in order and they just denied it and didn't give an explanation - did you ask for one ? I would have demanded one. 

negatively interesting to me is that those of us that live here in 1 year extensions and have for years are penalized for leaving; reentry fees at visa-acquisition time or re-entry time as well as the re-entry form while these short term stayers do not; 

example, if i have a surprise visitor that wants to shop in burma;  have to pay 2400(based on a single entry extension which is at the time all i needed), heshe only 500; so i cant afford to go over for a 1 hour shopping trip

additonally there is risk in not knowing about the re-entry forms/permits and having the  extension cancelled and having to start over

ok folks...please bear with me.  If I were to get a "TR" visa in the usa before coming to Thailand, it states the visa is good for 3 months with a maximun 60 day stay.  Can i arrive, stay 60 days, then fly out for a day, come back in before the 3 months expire, would i get another 60 day upon re-entry...or the basic 30 day on arrival???

hope I was clear on this.  Looking to spend 3.5-4 months here.

10 minutes ago, billybog said:

ok folks...please bear with me.  If I were to get a "TR" visa in the usa before coming to Thailand, it states the visa is good for 3 months with a maximun 60 day stay.  Can i arrive, stay 60 days, then fly out for a day, come back in before the 3 months expire, would i get another 60 day upon re-entry...or the basic 30 day on arrival???

hope I was clear on this.  Looking to spend 3.5-4 months here.

If it is only a setv which has a validity of 3 months, then after the first time you use it for your initial 60 days then your visa is already used and void.

best you could do without leaving the country is get your original 60 days then extend it at an immigration office for 30 days at a cost of 1900 baht.

to get another 60 days you would need a multi entry tourist visa.

Edited by Doiger

would anyone happen to know when i apply for a METV in person and pick it up in person, does it take 5 days or is it less? i'll be heading to D.C. soon and i need to start planning

I did not use DC but the Consulate in NYC was quick. I dropped it off Friday morning and picked it up on Monday after 1 pm. No issues or wait whatsoever. My total time in the consulate, over two visits, was under 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, new to the forum and was hoping to get advice on my best course of action.

To better understand my situation, I am an American and have been in Thailand for the last 7 years. The first 6 months, in 2010, was with a Non-immigrant visa teaching English. Next 6 months was tourist visas and border runs. The next year I signed up for Thai classes and had the 1 year ED visa. Then in 2012, and for the last 5 years, I ended up pursuing a proper master's degree at Kasetsart University. I have just graduated and the visa will expire next month.

What I would ideally like to do is somehow stay in Thailand for at least another 6 months, until around the end of the year. I am able to fly back to America for a bit if it is required, however I do have a condo lease here with some equipment and belongings, so getting refused entry would kind of suck, but I guess not the end of the world.  

Also to note, my entire history of visas has accrued in the same passport, which is pretty full now, so not sure if it would be beneficial to get a new passport at the embassy before applying for the next visa, and thus possibly make it look more like I am a first time traveler.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

1 hour ago, CharlieTailored said:

Hi everyone, new to the forum and was hoping to get advice on my best course of action.

To better understand my situation, I am an American and have been in Thailand for the last 7 years. The first 6 months, in 2010, was with a Non-immigrant visa teaching English. Next 6 months was tourist visas and border runs. The next year I signed up for Thai classes and had the 1 year ED visa. Then in 2012, and for the last 5 years, I ended up pursuing a proper master's degree at Kasetsart University. I have just graduated and the visa will expire next month.

What I would ideally like to do is somehow stay in Thailand for at least another 6 months, until around the end of the year. I am able to fly back to America for a bit if it is required, however I do have a condo lease here with some equipment and belongings, so getting refused entry would kind of suck, but I guess not the end of the world.  

Also to note, my entire history of visas has accrued in the same passport, which is pretty full now, so not sure if it would be beneficial to get a new passport at the embassy before applying for the next visa, and thus possibly make it look more like I am a first time traveler.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

Welcome to the forums!

I do not think getting a new passport makes much difference. That aside, much depends on the individual immigration official. Usually, returning to the US, and coming back with an METV would have a good look to it, I think. It would just about guarantee no problems on entry if you were back home for a couple of months, as it suggests continuing ties to the US and not someone who has moved permanently to Thailand. However, I doubt you want to do that, and any METV is going to be sufficient most of the time since it is a long time since you were here as a tourist. I am assuming you are still young. If so, some immigration officials might decide to be suspicious if you just get single entry tourist visas in the region.

I think you are right to canvass and consider different opinions. Good luck!

54 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Welcome to the forums!

I do not think getting a new passport makes much difference. That aside, much depends on the individual immigration official. Usually, returning to the US, and coming back with an METV would have a good look to it, I think. It would just about guarantee no problems on entry if you were back home for a couple of months, as it suggests continuing ties to the US and not someone who has moved permanently to Thailand. However, I doubt you want to do that, and any METV is going to be sufficient most of the time since it is a long time since you were here as a tourist. I am assuming you are still young. If so, some immigration officials might decide to be suspicious if you just get single entry tourist visas in the region.

I think you are right to canvass and consider different opinions. Good luck!

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the advice. If returning home for a couple months will almost guarantee the METV, I would be willing to do that. Yes I'm 30.

Just to clarify, you are saying that being here as a university student should not count against me in the assessment of whether or not to let me in as a tourist?

Also, if I did obtain the METV, does it guarantee I'll be able to extend it every 60 days, or will it be a scare each time?

Lastly, how long would you recommend the stay back home in America to assure the METV, 1 month, 2 months, or more?

Doesn't the METV require proof of employment though? What would he put down for that? Also what about confirmation of hotel reservation - can you just reserve for a couple of nights, even though you would hardly be applying for an METV if you were only staying a couple of nights?

I actually came to this thread to ask pretty much those same questions about my own situation. I don't really get what they are driving at with the requirement for a letter from your employer or a copy of your tax return (if you are self-employed). Are they wanting to see that you have work to go back to, or what? What do they want to see in the case of a self-employed person? Would be good to hear people's thoughts / experiences on that. The other one is the hotel requirement. I'd be coming out and looking to lease a place for 6 / 7 months, so I could show them hotel reservations for a few days - does anyone know if that would be enough?

1 hour ago, CharlieTailored said:

If returning home for a couple months will almost guarantee the METV.

I'm only starting to look into visas myself so am definitely not an authority, but bear in mind that you have to tick a lot of boxes to get the METV. They might vary by country and I know you're from the States, but FWIW, British citizens need to be able to show a bank balance which has not dropped below £5k at any time during the previous 6 months.

8 hours ago, CharlieTailored said:

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for the advice. If returning home for a couple months will almost guarantee the METV, I would be willing to do that. Yes I'm 30.

Just to clarify, you are saying that being here as a university student should not count against me in the assessment of whether or not to let me in as a tourist?

Also, if I did obtain the METV, does it guarantee I'll be able to extend it every 60 days, or will it be a scare each time?

Lastly, how long would you recommend the stay back home in America to assure the METV, 1 month, 2 months, or more?

First, whatever you do, the odds are in your favor. What you must be aware of is that immigration will tend to be suspicious about how, as a young guy with no obvious sources of overseas income, you can live for years in Thailand without illegal working.

The visit back home for a while and return on an METV will assuage immigration's concerns. If you really had a job in Thailand, you could scarcely do that (at least, in immigration's mind). Also, the embassy is supposed to confirm your continuing ties to home, as well as adequate finance, before issuing the METV. How long should you be back home? That is a matter of immigration official psychology. I would say two months is definitely sufficient, and a month very likely OK also.

Once you have the METV, could there be a problem with (back-to-back) 60-day entries? It is a good question. My own view is you would be fine. The trip back home would still be recent.

If you take the alternative route of single entry tourist visas from consulates in the region, ensure you have a good story as to why you are still staying in Thailand at the end of your university education, and the foreign sources of finance that allow you to do that.

Hi all, new to the forums and I have a question.

I am working in Bangkok for a year, and my Non imm B visa(90days) is about to expire. My company can't give me a work permit because it's not big enough, to issue another farang. I do have all the other letters/ info. ( I am dutch )

I am looking to get a non imm visa for a year. Multi entry. I am already in Thailand, what is the best option for me? Laos, singapore, cambodia or thailand?

Any tips / info are helpfull! thanks in advanced.

Edited by Dee1209

8 minutes ago, Dee1209 said:

Hi all, new to the forums and I have a question.

I am working in Bangkok for a year, and my Non imm B visa(90days) is about to expire. My company can't give me a work permit because it's not big enough, to issue another farang. I do have all the other letters/ info. ( I am dutch )

I am looking to get a non imm visa for a year. Multi entry. I am already in Thailand, what is the best option for me? Laos, singapore, cambodia or thailand?

Any tips / info are helpfull! thanks in advanced.

The only place within the region that will issue a multiple entry non-b visa is Penang and you need a work permit valid for at least 8 months to get it.

They are very difficult to get anywhere now and normally are only issued for business purposes with proof of working for a company in another country with proof  they have business contacts here.

Probably a very basic question, but can't get my head around it ..

6 month Multiple entry Tourist visa ..Issued 2 November 2016 .
Arrived in Thailand 12 Dec 2016 , when I believe , the 6 month period began.

Question ..
I've been in and out of the country ..out for approx 2 months, but currently back in Thailand ..and booked to leave this coming Friday .
So, I will be away on the 12th of June, 6 month anniversary of the visa .
Planning a return on 18 June .
When I return will my METV have expired ? And be granted a 30 day waiver ?

If that is the case ..will I still be required to report my address to immigration as I was with the METV ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Question ..
I've been in and out of the country ..out for approx 2 months, but currently back in Thailand ..and booked to leave this coming Friday .

If that is the case ..will I still be required to report my address to immigration as I was with the METV ?

6 months starts from the issue date, not arrival date.  Your visa already expired on the "enter before" date printed on it.  I am guessing this is 01 May 2017.  So yes, you will get a 30 day exempt entry.  If you want to report to immigration is up to you, unless you have any other business to do there (for example you intend to extend the exempt entry) I wouldn't bother.

7 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Question ..

You visa has already expired if it was issued on November 2nd 2016. A visa's validity starts on the date it is issued and is shown on the visa as the enter before date.

You can get a visa exempt entry when you enter the country. Unless you plan on applying for a 30 day extension of your entry you will not need to worry about the reporting.

• Like 1

6 months starts from the issue date, not arrival date.  Your visa already expired on the "enter before" date printed on it.  I am guessing this is 01 May 2017.  So yes, you will get a 30 day exempt entry.  If you want to report to immigration is up to you, unless you have any other business to do there (for example you intend to extend the exempt entry) I wouldn't bother.

Thanks .. however , when I last re entered the country on 23 March gave me 60 days on my stamp ..until 21 May , which is why I'm on the way out this weekend ..

But obviously , it's well and truly expired ..cheers

2 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Thanks .. however , when I last re entered the country on 23 March gave me 60 days on my stamp ..until 21 May , which is why I'm on the way out this weekend ..

You could apply for a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.