The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

On 11/14/2015 at 9:26 AM, ActionManan said:

So with this METV once you have it!

You can stay for 6 months, enter and re enter as often as you like but must leave every 60 days?

Do we know if the 60 days can be extended by 30 days like old TV? Thus would make it similar to old multi 60 day TV albeit can only be obtained in home country.

Cheers

Do you think you are allowed to go in and out and give you another entry? I was only given 16 days last time.

1 minute ago, Jillie Norman said:

Do you think you are allowed to go in and out and give you another entry? I was only given 16 days last time.

Not sure what you mean. Can you provide some details, please?

What is true is that if you enter on the last day of your visa (enter before xx/month) then you will be stamped in with another 60 days which can be extended by 30 days at immigration.

On 6/1/2017 at 3:11 PM, DUS said:

Not sure what you mean. Can you provide some details, please?

What is true is that if you enter on the last day of your visa (enter before xx/month) then you will be stamped in with another 60 days which can be extended by 30 days at immigration.

Sorry I'm jumping in here without reading the 120 pages before it. I'll be going to Myanmar after my job contract ends. I will buy a round trip ticket. I would like to get a 60 day Tourist visa that I can extend back in Thailand. I'm a US citizen.  Do you know if I can do this at the airport in Yangon? or more likely at the Thai embassy in Myanmar? And would I have any requirements ie. proof of income or $ amount etc.? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. 

On 3/23/2016 at 3:30 PM, thomo1978 said:

Good news for kiwis. I have just picked up my METV from the consulate in Auckland.

My application consisted of application form, one photo, some printouts of my kasikorn Thai bank account showing sufficient funds (NZ$9000 or equivalent) and a one way ticket printout from AKL to BKK. Fee was NZ$250. Traveling on a NZ passport.

No other documents were requested. In fact I had emailed in advance and confirmed my one way ticket and kasikorn printout would be accepted, and in typical kiwi fashion the reply was "no worries".

Applied on Monday morning about 11, collected Wednesday afternoon. The office is closed for lunch 12-2. It is actually just the reception of a law firm, so very pleasant environment and minimal waiting.

Just and update to this....I successfully applied for and received my second METV from the Auckland Consulate in April.  This time I applied for it with my UK passport, and no issues, one way ticket, bank account with $9k, job done.

A friend of mine applied with a German passport, same deal.

• Like 1

Just and update to this....I successfully applied for and received my second METV from the Auckland Consulate in April.  This time I applied for it with my UK passport, and no issues, one way ticket, bank account with $9k, job done.

A friend of mine applied with a German passport, same deal.

So no letter from employer, or co reg doc or Self assessment was required?

I'm here on a METV

First entry will expire by the end of July

I found cheap round-trip ticket with Vietnam Airlines to Ho Chi Mint the same say (out in the morning, back in afternoon) for 2000 baht.

Will that be a problem to go out and back on the same day?

Suvarnabhumi --> Ho Chi Mint --> Stamp in / Stamp out in Vietnam --  Ho Chi Mint --> Suvarnabhumi

Then activate the 2nd entry on 60 days METV?

(Its a fresh passport, with only 2 visa exempt and 1 entry on METV)

45 minutes ago, somethingnice said:

I'm here on a METV

I found cheap round-trip ticket with Vietnam Airlines to Ho Chi Mint the same say (out in the morning, back in afternoon) for 2000 baht.

Suvarnabhumi --> Ho Chi Mint --> Stamp in / Stamp out in Vietnam --  Ho Chi Mint --> Suvarnabhumi

Same day returns have been done regularly without any issues when returning to BKK/DMK. You will be fine....

1 hour ago, somethingnice said:

I'm here on a METV

In principle, this is absolutely fine. The only thing you should check is whether you can enter Vietnam visa exempt. What is your nationality?

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

In principle, this is absolutely fine. The only thing you should check is whether you can enter Vietnam visa exempt. What is your nationality?

I'm Danish - we get 14 days visa exempt for Vietnam - so that would not be any problem.

On Tuesday, June 06, 2017 at 6:33 PM, scubascuba3 said:

So no letter from employer, or co reg doc or Self assessment was required?

I put "retirement" in my last application, they did me change it to "unemployed" as I'm not receiving anything from my governement. As long you have enough into your account(s) for the last 6 months, you should be ok. Although I don't like the word "unemployed", at least in the western world it sounds always as you're a burden to your governement, which I'm not.......yet!

Edited by jethro69
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a simple question, but I just found many misleading infomations and the Border Run companies in Chiang Mai I asked weren´t helpful at all. Seems they can´t deal with a METV or maybe I asked the wrong companies.

I have a METV VISA and my first 60days runs out soon. It is possible to do a VISA border run to Mae Sai (Myanmar) and get another 60 days stamp. Do I have to overnight there or can I do the whole process in one day ?

ONCE again. Its a METV Multiply Entry VISA

Might anybody share some expierience with me. Thank you

8 minutes ago, extazzy77 said:

I have a METV VISA and my first 60days runs out soon. It is possible to do a VISA border run to Mae Sai (Myanmar) and get another 60 days stamp. Do I have to overnight there or can I do the whole process in one day ?

Yes it is possible to do it at Mae Sai.

Perhaps the companies you asked no longer go to Mae Sai. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is possible to do it at Mae Sai.

Perhaps the companies you asked no longer go to Mae Sai. 

Thank you Ubonjoe,

Yes I guess so. They just wanted to sell me LAOS trips. I will try to find the right company.

@all

If anybody knows a reliable Border run Company from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai please let me know. Thank you so much in advance

The Green Bus company goes to Mae Sai. It has a VIP service which is comfortable.It is more or less direct to Mae Sai bus station with a five minute break in Chiang Rai. From Mae Sai bus station to the border is about a ten minute baht bus ride which costs fifteen baht. They are always there to meet the bus from Chiang Mai. The Return ticket costs about 700 baht VIP seat and the bus leaves from Arcade bus station.Best to book a few days in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, all this current talk about Tourist Visas not being honoured by Thai IO's has me concerned. I'm 69 and have an METV granted in Canada on my Canadian passport, the Visa enter before date is August 23rd 2017, and to keep the METV current I've made 2 exit and enters at Poipet/Aranyaprathet so the leave to stay now coincides with the last date to enter, August 23rd. My Thai history is I've been in Thailand for just under 3 years now, on a Non Imm O, one 3 entry Visa, plus a couple of visa frees two years ago, all of those on my British passport, but I go back to either North America or Britain for at least three months per year, and my eventual aim is to settle in Canada where I have property, but not until I'm good and ready, I love it here.  One additional piece of info. is the IO on exiting Thailand last time looked pretty hard at the METV, and then proceeded to say "what do you do," I said Tourist, which I do believe I am, then in English and Thai said something else, but I was unsure what she said, my Thai isn't great.

Coming back in the IO wrote the numeral 2 next to the admittance stamp, but said nothing to me. 

My question is, do I attempt a third exit/entry from Poipet on my current METV, should I be looking for an exit/enter point other than Poipet, or do I do something else... Advice would be gratefully received.

Hmm, all this current talk about Tourist Visas not being honoured by Thai IO's has me concerned. I'm 69 and have an METV granted in Canada on my Canadian passport, the Visa enter before date is August 23rd 2017, and to keep the METV current I've made 2 exit and enters at Poipet/Aranyaprathet so the leave to stay now coincides with the last date to enter, August 23rd. My Thai history is I've been in Thailand for just under 3 years now, on a Non Imm O, one 3 entry Visa, plus a couple of visa frees two years ago, all of those on my British passport, but I go back to either North America or Britain for at least three months per year, and my eventual aim is to settle in Canada where I have property, but not until I'm good and ready, I love it here.  One additional piece of info. is the IO on exiting Thailand last time looked pretty hard at the METV, and then proceeded to say "what do you do," I said Tourist, which I do believe I am, then in English and Thai said something else, but I was unsure what she said, my Thai isn't great.
Coming back in the IO wrote the numeral 2 next to the admittance stamp, but said nothing to me. 

My question is, do I attempt a third exit/entry from Poipet on my current METV, should I be looking for an exit/enter point other than Poipet, or do I do something else... Advice would be gratefully received.

Surely you won't be targeted as unlikely to be working
  • Like 1

Thanks "Perth" I am uncomfortable with Poipet, but for me it's easy to do and my preferred exit, in fact I don't know any other convenient entry/exit points close to Bangkok. The discomfort comes from other peoples experience, not mine. Seems to me the, "Good in, bad out" dragnet may be extending a bit too far. Perhaps I'm becoming a bit paranoid.

11 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

Thanks "Perth" I am uncomfortable with Poipet, but for me it's easy to do and my preferred exit, in fact I don't know any other convenient entry/exit points close to Bangkok. The discomfort comes from other peoples experience, not mine. Seems to me the, "Good in, bad out" dragnet may be extending a bit too far. Perhaps I'm becoming a bit paranoid.

There is the Ban Laem crossing to Cambodia.

The closest one to Bangkok is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar that is in Kanchanaburi province. No visa sticker there just a pay 500 baht for a border pass.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is the Ban Laem crossing to Cambodia.

The closest one to Bangkok is the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing to Myanmar that is in Kanchanaburi province. No visa sticker there just a pay 500 baht for a border pass.

Thanks, wouldn't mind going to Myanmar, do you think Poipet isn't worth the risk, even though my Visa is as legal as it can be?

7 minutes ago, PeCeDe said:

Thanks, wouldn't mind going to Myanmar, do you think Poipet isn't worth the risk, even though my Visa is as legal as it can be?

Just be sure you have 20k baht in cash incase they ask for it when you enter the country.

1 minute ago, PeCeDe said:

Yes, I have carried the 20K before but never been asked to see it. Given the current climate is Poipet to be avoided?

I very much doubt you would experience a problem but given your anxiety you might be better taking one of the other options. 

You're correct "Perth" that I'm anxious, perhaps more than need be, but I've always liked things to be as certain as possible, and given the current situation, I think it's best to ask the questions.

Edited by PeCeDe
added one word

18 hours ago, PeCeDe said:

Yes, I have carried the 20K before but never been asked to see it. Given the current climate is Poipet to be avoided?

Exercising caution is prudent. Poipet is known to be a sometimes troublesome border point. If you want a low hassle (but more expensive) alternative, there are visa run companies from Bangkok that use other Cambodia border points.

Cheapest, and probably best if traveling independently, is the aforemetioned Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Exercising caution is prudent. Poipet is known to be a sometimes troublesome border point. If you want a low hassle (but more expensive) alternative, there are visa run companies from Bangkok that use other Cambodia border points.

Cheapest, and probably best if traveling independently, is the aforemetioned Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing.

Thanks, I readily admit to being nervous to cross the border at this time. With all the stories of people being refused admittance back into Thailand despite having valid visas but missing one seemingly minor item, (of course these stories could be lacking complete honesty)  I think this means a degree of caution is required.

Fortunately, I learned today the visa company I use for transport to and from Cambodia has changed it's crossing point and no longer goes through Poipet, so I feel more comfortable.

• Like 1

Hi all, just wanted to give an update, I was successful with my third metv back to back, you might remember on my seccond metv I got a bit grilled at suvarnabhumi, this time I decided to fly onto Chiang mai so immigration was at the transit area at suvarnabhumi, the officer didn't even blink an eye and I stamped in, I had the 20k thb with me as well, just in case

Will try again for a 4metv back to back in 9 months time, I really think I might be pushing my luck though 

Edited by kmw
  • Like 1