The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

On 11/8/2019 at 4:30 AM, randymarsh said:

Why would you get rejected if you have a valid METV?

Because METV's do not guarantee you entry into Thailand. Especially if it looks like you are living in Thailand with it. If you are going in/out frequently that is good, but if you are staying for 60 days plus extension, leaving and re-entering. That's a very bad look.

They will deny your entry even if you have a METV and say that you are spending too much time in Thailand without going back to your home country.

Edited by acenase

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's been a couple of months since I asked about the possibility of refusal at Suvarnabhumi for an METV so I was wondering if the risks were similar or getting better or worse.  From what I've been reading, I think they may have tightened up even more. 

I have spent the past seven winters in Thailand on METVs but have returned to my home country (Canada) each year for 6-8 months each time.  I haven't had any overstays or any other problems in the past.  I'm late middle aged and very normal looking, if that helps.  (i.e. no face tattoos)

I would be thinking of getting just a SETV this winter but wonder if I could be detained and sent back.  It's a long way to come only to be refused.  Maybe this is the year I go to Vietnam. 

So what are my chances of being allowed in?  99%?  90%?  Or something lower than that? 

Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, ultramarine said:

Hi all,

It's been a couple of months since I asked about the possibility of refusal at Suvarnabhumi for an METV so I was wondering if the risks were similar or getting better or worse.  From what I've been reading, I think they may have tightened up even more. 

I have spent the past seven winters in Thailand on METVs but have returned to my home country (Canada) each year for 6-8 months each time.  I haven't had any overstays or any other problems in the past.  I'm late middle aged and very normal looking, if that helps.  (i.e. no face tattoos)

I would be thinking of getting just a SETV this winter but wonder if I could be detained and sent back.  It's a long way to come only to be refused.  Maybe this is the year I go to Vietnam. 

So what are my chances of being allowed in?  99%?  90%?  Or something lower than that? 

Thanks. 

Based on what you say, I think your chances of being admitted with an METV would be considerably above 90%, but maybe not as high as 99%.

Thanks BritTim.  Much appreciate you playing the odds game with me on this.  But note that I probably don't want an METV this time.  An SETV would likely suffice for two months of warmth and escape from the Great White North.

Am I correct in thinking that Suvarnabhumi is still refusing METV holders who are otherwise legit? 

44 minutes ago, ultramarine said:

Thanks BritTim.  Much appreciate you playing the odds game with me on this.  But note that I probably don't want an METV this time.  An SETV would likely suffice for two months of warmth and escape from the Great White North.

Am I correct in thinking that Suvarnabhumi is still refusing METV holders who are otherwise legit? 

It is true that there have been cases of Suvarnabhumi abrogating METVs. The rest of my comment is speculative. Although it is possible to be refused entry with an METV, because of the known strict requirements for its provision, Immigration is more likely to defer to it than an SETV which is easier to obtain. I believe you would be OK with an SETV, but my instincts suggest to me that an METV would be even better. What I would definitely not do is try for a visa exempt entry where Immigration has been specifically instructed it is their job to decide whether granting it is appropriate.

• Like 1

Hy, I didn't found a Megathread for Single Entry Tourist Visas but I suppose it's okay to post in here? If not please push me in the right direction.
I'm from germany/europe and want to enter Thailand for the first time, did changed flights in BKK several times though.
I've got a two way ticket into and from BKK with 89 days in between.

I'm reading I only get a 60day visa and have to extend 30days?
When I'm at the embassy for the visa should I tell them that I want a Visa for 90 days? Cause they see the dates on my flight tickets? Or do I enter dates for 60 days without explaining the 29 days difference?
What's the way to go?

3 hours ago, incontrastofsin said:

Hy, I didn't found a Megathread for Single Entry Tourist Visas but I suppose it's okay to post in here? If not please push me in the right direction.
I'm from germany/europe and want to enter Thailand for the first time, did changed flights in BKK several times though.

When I'm at the embassy for the visa should I tell them that I want a Visa for 90 days? Cause they see the dates on my flight tickets? Or do I enter dates for 60 days without explaining the 29 days difference?
What's the way to go?

You have nothing to worry about. Just apply for a single entry tourist visa in Germany. They are unlikely to query why the return is late (especially if there are no other Thai visas/entries in your passport). On entry into Thailand, yes, you only receive 60 days. For the extra time, you apply for an extension of stay at an immigration office in Thailand near the end of the 60 day permission to stay on payment of 1,900 baht.

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Based on what you say, I think your chances of being admitted with an METV would be considerably above 90%, but maybe not as high as 99%.

I would say over 99%. I don't recall any reports of someone staying for less than 6 months per year in Thailand AND coming in with a tourist visa being refused entry.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, incontrastofsin said:

What's the way to go?

For the SETV you need a ticket out within 90 days. The 30 day extension is taken into account.

At least this was the case earlier, individual embassies may differ.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, ultramarine said:

They are usually people who look to be living in Thailand....or appear to have just done a quick out and back in. Your record doesn't look like that at all. If very concerned, fly to a nearby place, KL or Singapore, and then on from there on a budget carrier, they will at worst return you there. 

On 11/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, elviajero said:

It has happened. 

Yes, I think it has -- either with SETV or METV.  But it is difficult to say for sure.

These refusal accounts we read about on TV are significant but biased towards unusual negative outcomes.  Plus it is hard to know how typical they are and whether there are extenuating circumstances.  I think more refusals are happening this year compared with the past but it likely still means that the average traveler is unlikely to experience anything untoward.   So as BritTim says, very likely >90% are admitted no problem but >99% may be a stretch.  But there is no way of knowing.  It's just a guess.

I am biding my time for now.  I'm not really in any rush to come and may well stay in Canada over the holidays and will reassess the situation in January.  If they have a bad high season, maybe they will even waive the cost of the SETV! 

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are usually people who look to be living in Thailand....or appear to have just done a quick out and back in. Your record doesn't look like that at all. If very concerned, fly to a nearby place, KL or Singapore, and then on from there on a budget carrier, they will at worst return you there. 

Good points there.  I agree for the majority of people like me, there isn't a big issue.  But who wants to pay the equivalent of >30,000 baht for an air ticket from Canada only to be told they have to go back to KL or Singapore? A bit of a gamble there that I'd rather not have to make.

Hello I applied for a multiple entree tourst visa in Sydney Thailand embassy and had proof of income of more than 200 000 baht in the bank. I was successful in receiving my visa. 

Upon arrival on the 27th at 6pm i was stopped at immigration and not aloud to enter as im not returning til Feb 15th. I did have a qantas fullpaid return ticket. He told me that i have come to many times to thailand and look like I'm working and need to apply for a visa either Marriage or Business. He let me in this one time but said i would be refused. I am semi retired stock trader and showed him i had 22000$ aud in my saving bank but he probably thought it was baht lol.

I also have a bangkok bank visa and saving account. 

Anyway i dont want to do that again any suggestions what visa i should take and i dont mind paying a premium. Im 37 years old I enjoy thailand for 2 months stays a couple of times a year and cannot get a retirement visa. PLEASE HELP 

15 hours ago, rayben said:

Hello I applied for a multiple entree tourst visa in Sydney Thailand embassy and had proof of income of more than 200 000 baht in the bank. I was successful in receiving my visa. 

Upon arrival on the 27th at 6pm i was stopped at immigration and not aloud to enter as im not returning til Feb 15th. I did have a qantas fullpaid return ticket. He told me that i have come to many times to thailand and look like I'm working and need to apply for a visa either Marriage or Business. He let me in this one time but said i would be refused. I am semi retired stock trader and showed him i had 22000$ aud in my saving bank but he probably thought it was baht lol.

Anyway i dont want to do that again any suggestions what visa i should take and i dont mind paying a premium. Im 37 years old I enjoy thailand for 2 months stays a couple of times a year and cannot get a retirement visa. PLEASE HELP 

I'm sorry about this. Could you detail how long you've been in Thailand rolling twelve months? 

Would you say that it was your return ticket that caught their attention? If the date would have been only 1-2 months ahead, perhaps they would have let you pass. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rayben said:

We’ll maybe go Elite Visa , you got the money, I know expensive but ur young can get it for years to come

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rahibew said:

The Metv  Visa is not worth it now that they are starting the visa when issued,I got one in June and arrived in Bangkok in October..much to my surprise I only got to stay 4 monthe

It is not wise to apply for a multiple entry visa so long in advance if you wish to make full use of it before its expiry date. For some, who get about eight months of stays on an METV, it is worth it, albeit you may need to be careful only to use it at entry points that will honour the visa,

3 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

A friend of mine has a friend visiting...

He is on a METV. 

He wound up getting fined by immigration for not reporting via TM30 movement in and out of the country.

Too many "he" to work out which one you're talking about

2 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

A friend of mine has a friend visiting...

He is on a METV. 

He wound up getting fined by immigration for not reporting via TM30 movement in and out of the country.

Is this really possible?

Who got fined - the friend who hosted him. or the friend that stayed there?

But actually BOTH options are possible.

Thai law requires anybody (hotel / guesthouse / (girl)friend) that hosts a foreigner at their place, to report within 24 hours the arrival of that foreigner at he local IO.  This can be done in person, by regular mail or on-line.

Failing to do so can result in a fine (in this case for the person that failed to report).

The friend that stayed there will normally never be confronted with the issue, UNLESS he visits the local Immigration Office and applies for an extension of stay.  Some IOs require that a TM30 was filed before providing that service, and - crazy but true - can fine the applicant for the failure of the place where he stayed reporting him.

Amazing Thailand.

1 minute ago, charliebadenhop said:

Someone on a METV supposedly got fined for not alerting Immigration about his going in and out of the country.

Is this possible?

He was probably fined for not doing a TM30 report when he went to apply for a 30 day extension of one of his 60 day entries.

The tourist was staying at my friend's house. The friend did nothing when the tourist left for a few days and then came back. The tourist went in for an extension and got fined. 

So ok, this is possible, but wow I take this to be really bad if a country is looking to create a friendly environment for tourists!

44 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

The tourist was staying at my friend's house. The friend did nothing when the tourist left for a few days and then came back. The tourist went in for an extension and got fined. 

So ok, this is possible, but wow I take this to be really bad if a country is looking to create a friendly environment for tourists!

Yes I agree, it's far from tourist-friendly.

Indeed, how on earth could IO expect a regular tourist to be aware of the fact that the place where he is staying has to file a TM30 when the tourist applies for an extension of stay.

If the tourist stayed at a Hotel, the hotel would have filed a TM30 report of him staying there, and he would never have known when applying for the extension.  But since he stayed at a friend that did not report him, his extension was held-up until the fine was paid and the TM30 report filed.

It's possible - but unlikely - that they will also fine the friend where he stayed (2000 THB) for not reporting.

I will send you PM a step-by-step instruction on how to register and file T30s on the IO TM30 website.  So you can forward that to your friend, and he can file a TM30 on-line when later there are other foreigners staying at his place.  Normally that would not be needed as nobody would know that he has a foreigner staying there.  But in case the foreigner wants to apply for an extension of stay, it seems to be required by his local IO.

Edited by Peter Denis

4 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Someone on a METV supposedly got fined for not alerting Immigration about his going in and out of the country.

Is this possible?

Only if he went to an immigration office, say to get an Extension. Going out is not required, nor possible, arriving at the accommodation is.

Hey!

I got denied at Malaysian land border with multi entry visa. Insta denied almost. My visa is running out and I didn't have outward ticket. They didn't ask if I have money. I have been staying in Thailand a lot last year, only was home for 2 months. It is because my fiancee (not thai) is working there. It is my second multi entry visa. I have the funds to prove I can easily afford my stay. (Tried to give brief facts about situation).

So what happened was that I went with a bus, as I heard land borders are easy. Through Sadao. I am wondering if there is any point of trying in Padang Besar as it is close by, feels a bit stupid as I just got rejected and have that void Malaysian stamp inside the passport.

Also don't want to have some stricter consequences if they see me keep trying to pass and get rejected, might get banned or not even get back to Malaysia.

As I free return ticket to Europe from BKK, do you think I can fly to BKK if I have flight home the same day? Seems that even if they reject me they can just send me on the flight?

But would like to stay with my fiancee obviously if possible, until I get other visa.

Or have some people just tried at other entry point and got in? Does somebody have experience with it?

Thank you!

P.S. the reason for rejection they said has nothing to with my valid visa but because I entered more than 6 times and stayed here so much

Edited by Wizzy

2 hours ago, Wizzy said:

Thank you!

P.S. the reason for rejection they said has nothing to with my valid visa but because I entered more than 6 times and stayed here so much

Which reason did they stamp in your passport? What's your nationality?

Would have been the first time someone with a METV gets denied in Sadao with the reason of staying too long. If I understand it right, you had no outward ticket. For Malaysian borders this is as important as the 20k Baht/person. I also have passed through Sadao with a worse METV history than you. I proactively showed them my flight ticket out of Thailand and had no issues at all.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Which reason did they stamp in your passport? What's your nationality?

EU. They wrote something in Thai. I saw on that paper that says act 12.2. searched a bit, apparently that is "no means to support myself" or something in that regard? I had about 40k in cash and could show them my bank accounts if they wished. I did say on many occasions I have the money, but they didn't care about it. 

They probably take as being a world traveler as no means to support yourself.

Did anyone got in successfully after having that kind of rejection stamp? Or should i just give up.

Oh they were forcing me to sign something but nobody wanted to explain me what exactly that is and it says I can appeal that decision in 48 hours. Did anyone went down that road before? How does it look like, can I do it in Thai Embassy? Or would I just be digging myself a hole