The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

So, for the 6-9 month METV from Canberra, we will need :

Australian Visa

Bangkok- Canberra return flight

Another flight into Thailand

Another flight out of Thailand

5000 Baht for Visa

2-3 Visa runs from Thailand

That is one big ask for a visa

- You dont have to fly all the way to Canberra, Perth is cheaper and closer and has a Thai embassy

- Check OZ visa requirements for me, its free

- the rest is standard for all METV

No Thai Embassy in Perth !

You might still get screened at the airport in Australia if you have many tourist visas to Thailand and then you happen to show up in Australia.

Oh yes Perth is cheaper and I woukd suggest you sleep in the parks or at the beaches and you could really save another 150 dollars at one of the guesthouses.

Yes, Australian Immigration is not that friendly. I get screened every time I go home and I am a citizen. I get asked questions from who bought my air line ticket to my luggage being pulled to pieces, lap tops looked at and even my mobile phone scanned by staff.

Kitusne, don't shoot the messenger buddy. I am only passing on what is told to me.

Now as a Australian citizen and the fact that I can get things a lot cheaper then someone just 'dropping' over to get a Visa, you would look at costs like this

For me to get a METV in Canberra

Flights to an from Thailand - Cheap Charlie of air flights - 18,000 after taxes added

Free accommodation for me as my home is there

7-10 days time to get Visa - maybe more.

All up, it would cost me around 28,000 baht minimum (including $225 for the Visa) - for someone renting for a week, the cost is going to be a lot higher.

If you are dreaming you can do it from Perth cheaper and easier then me, well, good on you. I know Australia and it is not cheap to visit. Perth is expensive as well and even then if you could get the Visa from Perth, you cannot be 100% sure they will issue it to you. I have been refused Visas before in Australia. I use to get Triples, then only Doubles and then now I would have to go home to get a METV.

It is cheaper to go to Vientiane for a SETV 4 times a year at 5,000 a trip. I am only following the rules like everyone else. I do not like them but this is how it is. I would not also hold my breath in Australia as well to allow others with a eVisa to get a METV as before like I said, I have rocked up to the Brisbane Consulate before and been told, "sorry, no can do any more" from Triples to Doubles. I use to hold my breath a I never knew what I was going to be told.

• Like 1

LOL. just read on Australias Bangkok Embassy page that they only accept Australia Visa applications from Bangkok from Thai Nationals/residents only

"The Visas and Immigration section of the Australian Embassy in Thailand processes visa applications for people who resident in Thailand. Everyone except for Australian citizens will need to obtain a visa prior to travelling to Australia."

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Visas_and_Migration.html

You have misread/misinterpreted whatever that says.

As a UK citizen/passport holder I can obtain an E visa very easily and have visited my son in Perth on many occasions.

Great !

We can just go and visit his son.

I will say Im his dad best mate wink.png

No chance!

He has been pre warned and knows who my "best mates" are !

Give me a break.

Just got an email from our friend from Swizerland Basel is not enforcing proof of employment, just money in the bank is ok for METV.

and Italy was reported to do the same despite what they both say on website.

And thats not even one week after launch.

So if anything requirements are going to relax, not tighten.

I have told our friend that give the infos about METV available in Laos that the job is not a real important issue as long you have the money in the account and you must be a residence or citizen of the country.

Thailand wants to see you have the money and that is the main reason they want proof of funds.

Our gentlemen that is now in Basel has FUNDS. As I said many many times the people that have the cash are welcome by Thailand to stay here.

Except Australians and French and probably many more.

Dont try to find a logic,there is none.

According to the Canberra website as long as a non citizen has an "Australian Electronic Visa" they qualify. It seems like a similar requirement to the US that will issue an METV to foreigners holding a US visa.

The question is; what is an Australian Electronic Visa. If it's a standard tourist visa then many non Aussies will be able to get the METV.

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

It does not seem logical to me that the requirement for Australia Electronic Visa is purely to eliminate those entering Australia illegally. Surely, the purpose is to check some other status (residency perhaps?)

My business partner picked up the METV visa this afternoon in Singapore and I am seeing him Monday morning in Bangkok and will take a photo of the visa.

No return ticket was required as he convinced the embassy that he always books last minute and takes the cheapest flight available from several airlines.

At last, some concrete news! Please include details on the requirements he had to satisfy. I assume he is a Singaporean national.

• Like 1

I guess the part that isn't making sense to some on here is that, when you buy a ticket out of Thailand, the MFA folks are presuming you are buying the ticket to use it to return home -- not that you are buying a ticket just for visa application purposes with no intention of using it.

My business partner picked up the METV visa this afternoon in Singapore and I am seeing him Monday morning in Bangkok and will take a photo of the visa.

No return ticket was required as he convinced the embassy that he always books last minute and takes the cheapest flight available from several airlines.

At last, some concrete news! Please include details on the requirements he had to satisfy. I assume he is a Singaporean national.

its only useful for Singaporeans residents, which I am sure this forum is full of...clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I think we need to wait for more reports from various locations from people who have actually received an METV and the requirements they needed to satisfy. As far as I am aware, the current sample size we have to work from is ZERO.

The only fairly definite knowledge we have is that the METV is not available for non residents in Laos.

One person said so.

And he also said you need to "go home for METV", which was clearly an extrapolation.

Singaporean and he is a director and a minority shareholder in my company in Singapore. He has been running my accounts for the past 6 1/2 years.

Money and Employment letter was the only thing that was needed and I signed the document that he has been working in the company for the past 6 1/2 years.

As he owns a condo on Asoke he showed them his yellow book as well.

Process was very easy

• Like 1

Singaporean and he is a director and a minority shareholder in my company in Singapore. He has been running my accounts for the past 6 1/2 years.

Money and Employment letter was the only thing that was needed and I signed the document that he has been working in the company for the past 6 1/2 years.

Process was very easy

So basically to get a METV you need to work for Mobile Content, work in Singapore and be a Singaporian national lol ?

Very helpful Mobile Content !

• Like 1

its only useful for Singaporeans residents, which I am sure this forum is full of...clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I hold PR in Singapore by the way and their are Singaporeans on Thavisa too. Its not their fault that Singapore is so near.

Have been Singapore PR for such a long time as I was married for 19 years to a Singaporean.

• Like 1

Process was very easy

So basically to get a METV you need to work for Mobile Content, work in Singapore and be a Singaporian national lol ?

Indeed, it was helpful. We now have some idea of the real requirements in Singapore, generally considered a relatively unfriendly embassy.

• Like 1

I think we need to wait for more reports from various locations from people who have actually received an METV and the requirements they needed to satisfy. As far as I am aware, the current sample size we have to work from is ZERO.

The only fairly definite knowledge we have is that the METV is not available for non residents in Laos.

One person said so.

And he also said you need to "go home for METV", which was clearly an extrapolation.

One person also said the METV might be available in Sri Lanka. Guess no need to say who it was.

• Like 2

One person said so.

One person also said the METV might be available in Sri Lanka. Guess no need to say who it was.

No their website said so.

I only reported what the website said, which is what we all have been doing since the beginning of this thread.

But funnily enough,when it's going against what's is believed to be MFA regulation (which have not been announced) everyone says it's not true.

According to the Canberra website as long as a non citizen has an "Australian Electronic Visa" they qualify. It seems like a similar requirement to the US that will issue an METV to foreigners holding a US visa.

The question is; what is an Australian Electronic Visa. If it's a standard tourist visa then many non Aussies will be able to get the METV.

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

It does not seem logical to me that the requirement for Australia Electronic Visa is purely to eliminate those entering Australia illegally. Surely, the purpose is to check some other status (residency perhaps?)

I agree the requirements seem lax compared to almost everywhere else. According to the US embassy website they will allow foreigners without residency but they have to have a (unspecified) visa and I'm guessing that it has to be more than a tourist visa. This Aussie requirement could be more of the same.

Edited by elviajero

Process was very easy

Indeed, it was helpful. We now have some idea of the real requirements in Singapore, generally considered a relatively unfriendly embassy.

So if it helpful for you, I take i,t you will make good use of this info and as one of many Singaporeans here, will apply for a METV in SG?

It is the first report from someone who actually received an METV. It seems to confirm that, for this embassy, the requirements as documented on their website, are being generally followed: residency, money, employment. You may not like it (actually I do not) but it is helpful. Alternatively, just open a new thread asking for actual experience on receiving an METV without residency, employment and/or money requirements and do not bother reading this thread which, sadly, is going to have a lot more "not possible without ..". type posts.

• Like 1

I guess the part that isn't making sense to some on here is that, when you buy a ticket out of Thailand, the MFA folks are presuming you are buying the ticket to use it to return home -- not that you are buying a ticket just for visa application purposes with no intention of using it.

But they don't seem to think that someone might tour elsewhere in the region.

• Like 2

Give me a break.

Just got an email from our friend from Swizerland Basel is not enforcing proof of employment, just money in the bank is ok for METV.

and Italy was reported to do the same despite what they both say on website.

And thats not even one week after launch.

So if anything requirements are going to relax, not tighten.

This is indeed very believable. Some member come from countries that always go by the letter of what is written, that is not the case for Thailand and its Consulates. If anyone wants confirmation I may even go get in person and report here.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I believe Perth has the most expensive accommodation on the planet

https://www.wotif.com/Hotel-Search?#&destination=perth&startDate=01/12/2015&endDate=02/12/2015&latLong=&adults=2

for a 2 week stay best to stay up the coast a bit

I must have visited the wrong Perth as I recently stayed at the Ibis on Murray Street (centre of town & would recommend it) & it cost me less than the hotel I stayed in prior to that in Manila.

A trip to Freemantle (Left out of the hotel, 3 minute walk & a few dollars on the train) is highly recommended... They say Singapore is Clean/Litter Free, Freemantle blew my mind as to just how clean & peaceful that place is... Zero liter...

If you haven't visited Perth/Freemantle before I highly recommend it., if you can pick up some kind of visa there all the better, but worth visiting anyways [emoji106]

• Like 1

But they don't seem to think that someone might tour elsewhere in the region.

I don't know -- but whether for traveling home or elsewhere in the region. it does seem that they don't seem to think about the situation where someone might be buying a ticket with no intention of using it.

As to why they might want to see a ticket into Thailand from the UK, I would guess that would be to make it more difficult to mail in a Visa application from a country ex-Thailand and outside the UK to someone inside the UK who will then send it to and receive it from the Embassy in London before winging back to the passport holder in some 3rd country outside Thailand.

Edited by JLCrab

• Passport
  • 2 Passport photos
  • Visa application
  • Bank Statement showing at least $7,000 US
  • Cash or Money Order/Cashier's Check made payable to Royal Thai Consulate General.
  • Please see requirements below for non-US Passports.

The above is Portland's correction to their Bank Statement requirement, i.e., changing 7000 baht to 7000 US dollars. Other than that, still a pretty abbreviated requirements list. Definitely the 'go to' consulate in the States.

• Passport
  • 2 Passport photos
  • Visa application
  • Bank Statement showing at least $7,000 US
  • Cash or Money Order/Cashier's Check made payable to Royal Thai Consulate General.
  • Please see requirements below for non-US Passports.

The above is Portland's correction to their Bank Statement requirement, i.e., changing 7000 baht to 7000 US dollars. Other than that, still a pretty abbreviated requirements list. Definitely the 'go to' consulate in the States.

Yes noted just this AM -- big difference between Portland and Washington DC is the Application times esp. for mail-in:

Portland: FOR APPLICANTS APPLYING BY MAIL, PLEASE ALLOW 2 - 3 BUSINESS DAYS FOR PROCESSING (their caps)

Washington DC: Processing time : (with completed documents) By mail minimum 15 business days