The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Its like none of you does any research at all?

Before telling people what to do with their life (Go home), check your facts !

No, I do my research. For low season PROMO airfares to Sydney not in peak time from Bangkok, you are looking at 22,000 baht return. I just checked and that is FACT. You then need to get to Canberra or rent a hotel in Sydney, one of the most expensive countries for rental in the world for a week.

Man, you go to be pretty desperate not to want to go home to Europe as you are not going to get much change from 35,000 to 40,00 Baht for just a METV ...

5.800 thb one way to Perth

I am not in need of a Thai visa before May 2016

Thats is called forward thinking

Depart Arrive Duration
Low Fare
Premium Flex
Premium Flatbed
07:10
(DMK)
10:15
(KUL)
2h 5m
1 stop
13h 50m
00:05
(KUL)
05:35
(PER)
5h 30m
5,820.00 THB
(Adult)
Promo
11,555.00 THB
(Adult)
15,355.00 THB
(Adult)
2 seats left

I could even fly to your country Australia Canberra (6000THB with airasia ) and get a METV for virtually zero requirements.

Again why should I "Go home for METV"

Do you know for a fact tht Canberra is ignoring the MFA directive on residency? Do you have a link for anyone anywhere getting an METV without meeting the residency requiremenr?

According to the Canberra website as long as a non citizen has an "Australian Electronic Visa" they qualify. It seems like a similar requirement to the US that will issue an METV to foreigners holding a US visa.

The question is; what is an Australian Electronic Visa. If it's a standard tourist visa then many non Aussies will be able to get the METV.

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

Looks like Canberra does accept METV applications for Germans without residence in Australia.

They even accept for Iraqi and Syrians but they need to show proof of funds.

Will give them a call Monday morning. Could be a good option for US citizens that don't want to fly 30-40 hours for a METV visa or even Europeans that don't want to show proof of funds.

For most however they do not care if Australia issues METV visas as the price of the ticket varies plus AirAsia charges extra for a good seat such as in the first 5 rows.

The flight is between 11-13 hours and Europe certainly would be my first option.

• Like 1

• If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

Although it doesnt state which kind of AEV is required .

It could be a residency AEV

you have 3 kinds, e visitor, eta, and e600.

European are evisitor

800px-Visa_policy_of_Australia.png

Looks like Canberra does accept METV applications for Germans without residence in Australia.

They even accept for Iraqi and Syrians but they need to show proof of funds.

Will give them a call Monday morning. Could be a good option for US citizens that don't want to fly 30-40 hours for a METV visa or even Europeans that don't want to show proof of funds.

For most however they do not care if Australia issues METV visas as the price of the ticket varies plus AirAsia charges extra for a good seat such as in the first 5 rows.

The flight is between 11-13 hours and Europe certainly would be my first option.

Europe is twice the price and distance and much more requirements.

I am not bringing any news, canberra requirments have been released for ages, and everyone could see that they took non-residents.

For 4 days it cost me 20,000 baht. I would be better off with a TE Visa. No, I would not stay if I had to go every 90 days now. Just spending 2 days playing around the gates of the Vientiane Embassy is enough for me. Even though my partner and I had a good time, I got much better things to do then be in Laos.

You cannot pay the Touts in Vientiane any more. You have to do everything yourself. Be aware you need to also have a real address to give the embassy. I was asked when applying for my Non Imm, to show proof of address. I had my Town House contract and the ID card copy of the owner. They seem to be serious about this.

I made the same run last week from the coast in 3 days for under 5000 Baht + visa cost (not slumming it). I took a 3-seat-across VIP bus from Bangkok with wifi, movies-on-demand, and AC-Power at every seat for your laptop. Get to MoChit a bit early, and choose one of the single-seats (of the 3). Bus lets you off right at the border. Hotel was walking-distance to the consulate (Aircon, fridge, clean). I considered flying, but it would take an extra day due to flight-times vs embassy hours - plus, I am asleep on the Bus all but a couple hours anyway.

I get your point about the TE, but that doesn't come with the extra-curricular activities tongue.png mentioned in your earlier post. Yes, the waiting in line is a bit dull - have some stuff queued on your mp3 player - I like audio-books - a bit dissapointed when I have to turn it off when the wait is over - a sort of reverse psychology on myself. Also, from Nong Khai, I would not recommend the train over the bridge - yes, very long wait at passport-control and not frequent.

Also, thanks for the in-person confirmation on the METV non-availability. Bummer on that, but good to know.

Furthermore once your in OZ you can post the application with a return express envelope so you could fly to Perth, the shortest and cheapest flight and do it from there. I did this several times for a 12 month multi (Brisbane). I cant see why the METV would be any different, but I could be wrong

Edited by mcfish
  • Like 2

Furthermore once your in OZ you can post the application with a return express envelope so you could fly to Perth, the shortest and cheapest flight and do it from there. I did this several times for a 12 month multi (Brisbane). I cant see why the METV would be any different, but I could be wrong

Why not do it at the honorary consulate in Perth.

So again please someone tell me why I should go home for METV?

So when are you going to Australia to get your METV ?

I dont need a Thai visa before may 2016

So i am sending people there, testing the water, before me, and reporting here smile.png

And there are still KL and colombo that need to be checked

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

Even better, at the time there wasn't a consulate there

Says who?

metv is available at least in malaysia and srilanka for non-residents

Thats definately closer than Europe

How about you wait until you have some actual proof of that. And don't bother quoting the websites as they just throw up questions.

At the moment "is available" is not confirmed.

• Like 2

Although it doesnt state which kind of AEV is required .

It could be a residency AEV

you have 3 kinds, e visitor, eta, and e600.

European are evisitor

800px-Visa_policy_of_Australia.png

No, what I meant was, that it doesnt state which specific AEV is required .

Tourist, residency, that kind of thing .

BTW Kitsume, this isnt a competition to see whom is right .

We are all just trying to find out the facts

• Like 1

Yes but once again if they have the same processing time as Canberra then that is minimum 3-5 working days so that could be 2+ weeks sitting in Australia and you cannot have booked a close-in return flight because you don't know when you will have your passport back as.

Depending upon your country, it might take you less time and not spending a week or two staying in a country for no reason other than to get a visa.

Sorry but that's funny, for a French person that has to spend THREE MONTHS outside Thailand before applying to a Thai visa to its own French embassy, one week is hilarious.

You guys have it easy, you have no idea.

Edited by Kitsune

Anybody saying "Go home for METV" raises suspicion for me

I can name half a dozen of European consulates equally if not more demanding than some in SEA available for non-residents.

That's what seem to be the latest MFA message is, but sorry I don't see the point of flying to all the way to Europe to be asked more documents than in the region.

Kitsune, they are being serious this time around. Nothing suspicious to me at all. I saw a few things at the Embassy that made me feel that they have changed. I watched a few officials deal with some people that were out of line this time around. Just to say, I will follow things to the letter of the law here as I am too close to retirement age and do not want to stuff things up in the future.

Looking at the backpackers streaming over the borders today and yesterday, tourism certainly is not slowing down.

Yes on my visit last week I was surprised that there was so much emphasis on a new stipulation - that was in bold on the ticket (given to track the handing of passports for the visa) of a new requirement to enter the full street or road name of your accommodation while you are residing in Thailand

It looked like this was just a small requirement - But there were a lot of people that could not give EXACTLY the right information - if you could only provide general guidance and not a full address that satisfied the Embassy processor you were required to queue at a new place to be further processed. And around 50% of the applications had to go into this queue - The guy in front of me was asked for more info and he responded he was staying at hotels and could not remember the street/ road name and he was one moved to the new extra line - For most in the line it did add an extra 30/40 mins to the morning process.

Depending upon your country, it might take you less time and not spending a week or two staying in a country for no reason other than to get a visa.

Sorry but that's funny, for a French person that has to spend THREE MONTHS outside Thailand before applying to a Thai visa to its own French embassy, one week is hilarious.

Even so it is minimum 3-5 working days plus mailing times so more than a week more like 2+. Maybe that's fine for you. Good luck and throw another shrimp on the barbie.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Give me a break.

Just got an email from our friend from Swizerland Basel is not enforcing proof of employment, just money in the bank is ok for METV.

and Italy was reported to do the same despite what they both say on website.

And thats not even one week after launch.

So if anything requirements are going to relax, not tighten.

• Like 1

Even so it is minimum 3-5 working days plus mailing times so more than a week more like 2+. Maybe that's fine for you. Good luck and throw another shrimp on the barbie.

Yes 3 to 5 days, wow big deal for me, who, if I follow totally thaiedup and everyone else who keep telling me to GO HOME FOR METV, would have to wait three months before coming back to Thailand.

Nice advice everyone !thumbsup.gif

Minimum 3 to 5 working days so skip the weekends. And no guarantee that you will have it within 5 working days. I am only paying close attention to those numbers because the Thai Embassy in Washington DC requires even longer processing time than that.

Where anyone chooses to go for a visa where they are qualified is up to them. The notion of sitting in a country for any extended time for no reason other than to wait for a visa to be processed with only a guess as to when I would receive my passport back is not my game plan. But up to you.

Edited by JLCrab

So, for the 6-9 month METV from Canberra, we will need :

Australian Visa

Bangkok- Canberra return flight

Another flight into Thailand

Another flight out of Thailand

5000 Baht for Visa

2-3 Visa runs from Thailand

That is one big ask for a visa

- You dont have to fly all the way to Canberra, Perth is cheaper and closer and has a Thai embassy

- Check OZ visa requirements for me, its free

- the rest is standard for all METV

Australian Visa

5000 Baht for Visa

- You dont have to fly all the way to Canberra, Perth is cheaper and closer and has a Thai embassy

No Thai Embassy in Perth !

Give me a break.

Just got an email from our friend from Swizerland Basel is not enforcing proof of employment, just money in the bank is ok for METV.

and Italy was reported to do the same despite what they both say on website.

And thats not even one week after launch.

So if anything requirements are going to relax, not tighten.

I have told our friend that give the infos about METV available in Laos that the job is not a real important issue as long you have the money in the account and you must be a residence or citizen of the country.

Thailand wants to see you have the money and that is the main reason they want proof of funds.

Our gentlemen that is now in Basel has FUNDS. As I said many many times the people that have the cash are welcome by Thailand to stay here.

• Like 2

Australian Visa

5000 Baht for Visa

No Thai Embassy in Perth !

You might still get screened at the airport in Australia if you have many tourist visas to Thailand and then you happen to show up in Australia.

Oh yes Perth is cheaper and I woukd suggest you sleep in the parks or at the beaches and you could really save another 150 dollars at one of the guesthouses.

LOL. just read on Australias Bangkok Embassy page that they only accept Australia Visa applications from Bangkok from Thai Nationals/residents only

"The Visas and Immigration section of the Australian Embassy in Thailand processes visa applications for people who resident in Thailand. Everyone except for Australian citizens will need to obtain a visa prior to travelling to Australia."

http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Visas_and_Migration.html

How times have changed . I went to the Aussie Embassy in BKK when I was 19 years old and got a one year working Visa with just a passport and an application form and two photos

Edited by luke000

I think we need to wait for more reports from various locations from people who have actually received an METV and the requirements they needed to satisfy. As far as I am aware, the current sample size we have to work from is ZERO.

The only fairly definite knowledge we have is that the METV is not available for non residents in Laos.

• Like 2

LOL. just read on Australias Bangkok Embassy page that they only accept Australia Visa applications from Bangkok from Thai Nationals/residents only

"The Visas and Immigration section of the Australian Embassy in Thailand processes visa applications for people who resident in Thailand. Everyone except for Australian citizens will need to obtain a visa prior to travelling to Australia."

You have misread/misinterpreted whatever that says.

As a UK citizen/passport holder I can obtain an E visa very easily and have visited my son in Perth on many occasions.

Well we on tourist visas still have to do a border run every 3 months. Not a huge amount of difference between a border run to activate another entry, and one to get a new visa, if you pay the touts to deal with the consulate for you.

Depends where you live!

From Pattaya a visarun is a day trip to Cambodia and you are back at 2pm.

A new visa imply to go to Vientiane and it's an expensive 3 days trip!

u could do a visa run to pp

drive or taxi to border at Hat Lek4 hours

shared taxi to PP 4-5 hours, pay an agent an extra $15 for overnight so visa $55.

stay 2 nights an back

• Like 1

You have misread/misinterpreted whatever that says.

As a UK citizen/passport holder I can obtain an E visa very easily and have visited my son in Perth on many occasions.

Great !

We can just go and visit his son.

I will say Im his dad best mate wink.png