The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

After entering on our METVs, the time has nearly come for our first exit of Thailand.

We are permitted until 3rd April 2016.

What is the latest date we can exit / earliest we can re enter to maximise the time on our Visas'?

We were thinking of driving to Mae Sai to complete the exit and re entry, is this still possible?

Thanks.

Chucking 800k in a Thai bank will not get you a "retirement visa" !

That amount of money in a Thai bank might assist you obtaining a one year "extension of stay" based on retirement, if you otherwise qualify.

It could also satisfy some of the requirements for a Non Imm OA (long stay) visa. To refer to that as a "retirement visa" is ambiguous and best avoided, but not clearly wrong. It is pretty much the visa counterpart of the retirement extension.

Chucking 800k in a Thai bank will not get you a "retirement visa" !

That amount of money in a Thai bank might assist you obtaining a one year "extension of stay" based on retirement, if you otherwise qualify.

It could also satisfy some of the requirements for a Non Imm OA (long stay) visa. To refer to that as a "retirement visa" is ambiguous and best avoided, but not clearly wrong. It is pretty much the visa counterpart of the retirement extension.

Sure but an O/A visa cannot be obtained in Thailand or anywhere other than a persons country of residence.

After entering on our METVs, the time has nearly come for our first exit of Thailand.

What is the latest date we can exit / earliest we can re enter to maximise the time on our Visas'?

We were thinking of driving to Mae Sai to complete the exit and re entry, is this still possible?

Thanks.

• If your permit to stay ends on April 3rd you can exit on or before that date.
  • You can immediately re-enter but it must be on or before the 'enter before' date printed on the visa.
  • Yes you can do a border hop at Mae Sai with a valid visa.
  • Like 1

Thanks.

First, to maximize the time on your METV, it is only necessary to consider the final entry. Your visa has a Enter before date. If you enter on your before that date, you receive your last 60 day entry, which can be extended for a further 30 days at immigration inside Thailand for 1,900 baht. I would suggest planning your final entry for one day before expiry of your visa. This extra day protects against some snafu affecting your actual entry date.

Prior to the final entry on the visa, you need to travel out of Thailand at intervals, at least every 60 days (or 90 days if you purchase extensions). If your current entry permits you to stay until 3rd April 2016, you will need to leave Thailand and reenter (or apply for an extension of your permitted to stay date) on or before that date. You can leave and reenter Thailand on the same day should you so desire.

• Like 1

Thanks.

You must exit the country on or before the 3rd.

Once you have left Thailand and entered another country you can immediately return to Thailand if that is your wish.

Be aware that you will need to purchase visas (available at the border) for whichever country you choose to enter.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I've just thought, is it possible to extend our current entry by 30 days (and each subsequent entry) at immigration?

I ask because we'd like 9 months out of this Visa if possible. Basically - entry 60 days (extend 30) - entry 60 days (extend 30) - entry 60 days (extend 30).

If so and you can extend each entry, when should we make the trip to CNX immigration and apply for extension of our current stay?

You can extend each 60 day entry by 30 days if you wish. -- 1900 Bht at an immigration office.

Apply 1-2 week before the end of your current permission to stay date, Nothing is lost by applying early as the extension becomes effective from the end of the current stay

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I've just thought, is it possible to extend our current entry by 30 days (and each subsequent entry) at immigration?

I ask because we'd like 9 months out of this Visa if possible. Basically - entry 60 days (extend 30) - entry 60 days (extend 30) - entry 60 days (extend 30).

If so and you can extend each entry, when should we make the trip to CNX immigration and apply for extension of our current stay?

Jim's answer above is correct. However, by all accounts, applying for extensions at Chiang Mai immigration is a bit of a nightmare, very busy. Although it involves extra cost, you may want to employ the services of an agent to get your extension.

• Like 1

I will be in Thailand 14 June to 11 August (59 days) then again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days). Can I easily do both of those on one METV ? Or would it be better to do one SETV and one METV?

You could do either.

As long as you don't buy the METV more than 6 months before Nov 2nd (May 3rd) you could do it. You will need to get an extension of stay to cover the last 18 days.

Thanks for your generous help. But please be careful when you say "months". I was fined for an overstay because I thought my visa and extension was good for 3 months. The "enter before " date is 180 days after the date of issue not 6 months.

• The new METV is valid for 6 months from the date it is issued. The 'enter before' date will reflect this.
  • A SETV is valid for 3 months from the date it is issued.
  • The maximum permit to stay that can be granted on entry, with either visa, is 60 days.

Well, the farang that works at the Thai Consulate in LA emailed me that with an METV I must enter Thailand within 180 days from when "we" issue the visa. Is he wrong?

I will be in Thailand 14 June to 11 August (59 days) then again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days). Can I easily do both of those on one METV ? Or would it be better to do one SETV and one METV?

You could do either.

As long as you don't buy the METV more than 6 months before Nov 2nd (May 3rd) you could do it. You will need to get an extension of stay to cover the last 18 days.

Thanks for your generous help. But please be careful when you say "months". I was fined for an overstay because I thought my visa and extension was good for 3 months. The "enter before " date is 180 days after the date of issue not 6 months.

• The new METV is valid for 6 months from the date it is issued. The 'enter before' date will reflect this.
  • The maximum permit to stay that can be granted on entry, with either visa, is 60 days.

Well, the farang that works at the Thai Consulate in LA emailed me that with an METV I must enter Thailand within 180 days from when "we" issue the visa. Is he wrong?

must be Benard

One quick question if Red13 does a same day Cambo border run out/in on April 3rd.

Will Thai immigration stamp his passport to return April 3rd or April 4th.

Thanks.

TC.

• If they re-enter on April 3rd that will be the date stamped in his passport.
  • The day you enter counts as day 1 of your permission to stay.

Yes I believe he is wrong.

You must enter on or before the 'enter before' date printed on the visa regardless of how many days that is from the date the visa is issued.

• Like 1

You can extend each 60 day entry by 30 days if you wish. -- 1900 Bht at an immigration office.

Apply 1-2 week before the end of your current permission to stay date, Nothing is lost by applying early as the extension becomes effective from the end of the current stay

Thanks guys.

Jim's answer above is correct. However, by all accounts, applying for extensions at Chiang Mai immigration is a bit of a nightmare, very busy. Although it involves extra cost, you may want to employ the services of an agent to get your extension.

Excellent news, thanks.

Hi again,

I'd like to apply for a METV from somewhere else than my homecountry (either KL or Yangoon). Do you see any problem in that?

On both websites of the embassies I can't find any information about the METV, but only the "normal" tourist visa - does this mean that they won't be issued there?

The multiple entry is not limited, right?

So I could also in 6 months come in and go out for let's stay 7 times?

As I will be staying at a friends' place, how can I go round the hotel confirmation?

Will I need hotel / airplaine booking confirmations before every re-entry?

Anything else I should need to know about?

Thank you

Claire

Edited by clairerosemont

Hi again,

I'd like to apply for a METV from somewhere else than my homecountry (either KL or Yangoon). Do you see any problem in that?

On both websites of the embassies I can't find any information about the METV, but only the "normal" tourist visa - does this mean that they won't be issued there?

The multiple entry is not limited, right?

So I could also in 6 months come in and go out for let's stay 7 times?

As I will be staying at a friends' place, how can I go round the hotel confirmation?

Will I need hotel / airplaine booking confirmations before every re-entry?

Anything else I should need to know about?

Thank you

Claire

• The METV is only available from your home country or country that you are permanently resident. You won't get it from KL or Yangoon.
  • No limit on entries but each stay is limited to 60 days. Each stay can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.
  • A letter from the friend confirming you are staying with them will usually satisfy the hotel requirement.
  • Depends where you apply about the airline bookings.

FYI I was required to show 20k in cash along with flights out of Thailand and hotel bookings when entering with METV at a land border ... Getting tired off all the hoop jumping !

Just tell them you're thinking of extending for 30 days and unsure of your exact departure date.

FYI I was required to show 20k in cash along with flights out of Thailand and hotel bookings when entering with METV at a land border ... Getting tired off all the hoop jumping !

There is a very easy solution to "getting" tired" ........................

The requirement to have adequate cash and fight ticket is not new as can be seen by ref. to the Thai MFA web site.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You are also required to enter the address of where you intend staying on the arrival card (nothing new).

What border was that at out of interest?

Yes I believe he is wrong.

You must enter on or before the 'enter before' date printed on the visa regardless of how many days that is from the date the visa is issued.

Which would be 6 months (180 days ish) so everyone is right. This is why you need to get the visa as close to date of departure as you can.... on the assumption that you want to get as much time out of it as possible. If you get the visa a month early then you will be in a position where you have to use your last entry 5 months down the line rather than 6. There have been threads where people have said they waited for weeks to get their passport back from consulates. They are actually doing them a favour by delaying the issuing of the visa.

There is a very easy solution to "getting" tired" ........................

The requirement to have adequate cash and fight ticket is not new as can be seen by ref. to the Thai MFA web site.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You are also required to enter the address of where you intend staying on the arrival card (nothing new).

MFA guidelines for documentation you may typically be asked for when applying for visas are completely irrelevant to what happens when entering Thailand via a land border. In fact, I am nearly sure he experienced this when entering via a specific entry point from Malaysia that has a reputation for imposing non standard restrictions on travelers in the hope of inducing them to part with money to smooth the entry process. How many times have you been asked for onward flight tickets and hotel reservations when entering Thailand with a visa at any airport or any other land border?

So it sounds like if one is going to be using METV's long-term and re-entering Thailand at land borders, it might be a good idea to keep 20K baht or about USD 600 in American Express travelers checks (Don't leave home without 'em.)

So it sounds like if one is going to be using METV's long-term and re-entering Thailand at land borders, it might be a good idea to keep 20K baht or about USD 600 in American Express travelers checks (Don't leave home without 'em.)

If entering via land from Malaysia, fake flight and hotel reservations might also be handy: fight fire with fire.

• Like 1

With regards to the £5,000 needed as a balance in bank account for the 6 months leading up to application for the METV, can this be from a savings account or does it have to be from a current account? Can this amount also come from the combination of more than one account?

With regards to the £5,000 needed as a balance in bank account for the 6 months leading up to application for the METV, can this be from a savings account or does it have to be from a current account? Can this amount also come from the combination of more than one account?

This might vary from consulate to consulate, but I think the answer to both your questions would usually be "yes".

• Like 1