The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

Basically, what you are saying is the current immigration lottery is fine, because it allows people who are lucky in the choice of immigration line they use to still get in. If the "rules" applied by the stricter immigration officials were made official limits, there would be no possibility for someone to get lucky. I think this conflicts directly with the spirit of the Immigration Act that makes clear that entry should be denied under specific criteria, with only the Minister having discretion to admit or deny entry outside of the clearly defined rules. Giving any official the power to override the published rules goes against that.  I am confident that the Immigration Act was written the way it is because of the greater scope for corruption that occurs when an immigration official is allowed to say "I can deny you entry, and there is nothing you can do about it, but give me some money and I will help you".

I'm saying that the "lottery" is better than having a fixed rules that will affect everyone.

You are approaching the debate from the wrong starting point. You seem to believe that we have a right to stay months/years as a tourist and that somehow immigration are denying that right; when the opposite is true.

How many reports have you read of people being extorted for money at BKK/DMK!? You are confusing corruption (that goes on across the country) with some IO's just doing their job.

The fact is that we are not supposed to (regardless of it's historical tolerance) stay long term in the country as tourists. We have got away with it for years and IMO should count ourselves lucky. The current long term tourists are now paying the price because the numbers of long term tourists -- and illegal workers -- became unacceptable.

The immigration act also states permission to stay is granted for specific reasons; tourism being one. When you apply for a tourist visa it is -- within the visa system -- meant for short term tourism (30/60 days). Your problem is that the authorities don't spell out what they mean by tourism and have been 'inconsistent' in their enforcement (to our benefit) of people staying long term as tourists.

We are all visitors that visit for different reasons. Tourism is a specific reason and someone holed up in lower Sukhumvit/Pattaya/Nakhon Nowhere for months/years cannot by any definition claim to be a tourist. They are a visitor wanting to live in the country and should have a long term visa/permit to stay for one of the qualifying reasons for staying long term.

My glass is half full, yours appears half empty.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:
6 hours ago, elviajero said:

I'm saying that the "lottery" is better than having a fixed rules that will affect everyone.

You're being inconsistent. You say that long-term visitors should get a proper long-term visa. If the Thai government (not individual, rogue immigration officials at some checkpoints) made it a rule that "tourist" stays (tourist visa as well as visa exempt stays combined) cannot exceed 180 days per year, that would accomplish just that. What's not to like about having it spelled out clearly? People who will be affected will adapt, one way or another.

How am I inconsistent?

Currently the only people complaining (wanting it "spelled out clearly") about immigrations policy are some long term 'tourists'. Genuine, occasional, and frequent short term visitors for tourism are mostly unaffected. If they impose a 180 day limit guess which group will be affected and which group won't? Answer; the group complaining, many of which would not be able to "adapt"! 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Ultimately, transparent rules and consistent enforcement of these rules would be beneficial. It won't happen, for obvious reasons, but it's not foreigners "abusing" the existing inconsistencies who are to blame - it's an officialdom that isn't capable of keeping both their overzealous and their corrupt officials in check.

Consistent enforcement would not be beneficial unless they don't deny anyone, and that's not going to happen.

Again, my challenge would be for you to show evidence that IO's at the Bangkok airports are extorting or financially gaining when denying a long term tourist entry.

I have a bit of a dilemma, so my old apartment contract was in my name, but before leaving Thailand I moved into a new one with my girlfriends name on the contract. We agreed to pay half half

The thing is I notice now I will need proof of accommodation when applying for my new METV - so what should I show regarding the 'proof of booked accommodation' request as the contract is no longer in my name?

Thanks in advance

13 minutes ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

The thing is I notice now I will need proof of accommodation when applying for my new METV - so what should I show regarding the 'proof of booked accommodation' request as the contract is no longer in my name?

A simple statement that from your girlfriend that you are living with her with proof of her ID attached. If Thai a signed copy of her ID card would be the ID.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:53 AM, Yeahbutwhytho said:

I have a bit of a dilemma, so my old apartment contract was in my name, but before leaving Thailand I moved into a new one with my girlfriends name on the contract. We agreed to pay half half

Thanks in advance

I just got a metv from U.K. last week ,I have a house I built and stay at (it’s in the name of ex wife) so on the form just put  staying with friends and put the address of the house down.....no problems at all visa came back to me in 4 days.

My latest passport entry permit states “”admitted until Nov 14 2018”. I’m planning to leave on the 14th. Do I need to leave on the 13th to avoid an overstay? And would an overstay cause a problem when I apply for a non O visa later in the year?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

2 minutes ago, blix99 said:

My latest passport entry permit states “”admitted until Nov 14 2018”. I’m planning to leave on the 14th. Do I need to leave on the 13th to avoid an overstay? And would an overstay cause a problem when I apply for a non O visa later in the year?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

You can leave on the 14th. No overstay.

• 2 weeks later...

How easy is it to pick up back to back METVs from Hull or Liverpool?  The first one was easy to get but I'm basically going to be going back 2/3 weeks or so after this one expires for a new one.

METV expires November 25th and was hoping to have a new one in time to go back for December 27th.  The other thing I was looking at was potentially getting a 60 day tourist visa as I won't be going back to Thailand for a little while after the trip at the end of the year/ start of next year and then picking up an METV in the spring again after a few months back in the UK.

Or is it really not hard just to get the METV and shuttling back and forwards?  I see stories about people having 4 back to back METVs but then also a lot of people complaining about immigration woes when I'm in LoS

5 hours ago, sampson said:

How easy is it to pick up back to back METVs from Hull or Liverpool?

I get my METV's from Liverpool. I get one per year so they are not quite back-to-back. However my informants tell me that provided you bring all the correct documentation to satisfy the criteria, the lovely staff at the Liverpool Thai consulate care not a jot what visas you have had in the past and when you have had them.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I get my METV's from Liverpool. I get one per year so they are not quite back-to-back. However my informants tell me that provided you bring all the correct documentation to satisfy the criteria, the lovely staff at the Liverpool Thai consulate care not a jot what visas you have had in the past and when you have had them.

You're right. The consulates are only interested in your money and will issue a visa if you meet the requirements they need to cover their administrative backsides. It is worth pointing out that immigration can still have a say on it's use.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

You're right. The consulates are only interested in your money and will issue a visa if you meet the requirements they need to cover their administrative backsides. It is worth pointing out that immigration can still have a say on it's use.

Thanks, I will head back to Hull then in that case and make sure I am as well prepared as possible every time I enter the Kingdom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Is Mae Sot OUT/IN run OK to activate next 60 days on METV ?

I've used Mae Sai before for visas other than METV, but would like to see around/tour the nearby town to the border of Burma.

Thanks.

Sure, no problem. I think Mae Sot is one of the best places for such a border hop.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. Never had a problem with multiple 2 month entries.  Always from my home country to Thailand. 

Probably will stick to this more appropriate way even when I'm able to do retirement extensions. 

Just wish the 1 yr non o based on condo ownership was brought back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kmw said:

I recently got a 90 day extension on top of the 6 months....

Hi kmw.

You mention getting 90 day extension (not including your 6 month METV).

Did you just go to IO office in your area and fill out a TM7 form requesting 90 days?

Any paperwork required?

I normally request 30 day extensions.

Thanks.

TC.

8 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

Hi kmw.

Did you just go to IO office in your area and fill out a TM7 form requesting 90 days?

Any paperwork required?

Thanks.

TC.

9 hours ago, kmw said:

90 days for a medical extension, (Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai did all the paperwork and sent somone to get it organised)

1 hour ago, tomx2 said:

Hi kmw.

Any paperwork required?

Thanks.

TC.

They got a medical extension. You can only get a 30 day extension for tourism.

Yes that's correct, medical extension is max 90 days,

Tourist extension is 30 days,

Also sorry I dont know what paperwork was filled out, as I was in ICU so the hospital did everything for me, but from what I know my Visa was changed from tourist to medical 

57 minutes ago, kmw said:

Also sorry I dont know what paperwork was filled out, as I was in ICU so the hospital did everything for me, but from what I know my Visa was changed from tourist to medical 

Your visa was not changed.

It was a 90 day extension of the 60 day permit to stay your tourist visa allowed. 

• Like 1

Ah ok, was not to sure as it's all in thai, but I got it the 90 days on top of the 30 day extension that was on top of the 60 day by entering a few days prior to the metv running out, so in all I got just under one year in total

2 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Why is this still up from 2015.   update please !!!!!!

Nothing has changed since the topic was started as far as the requirements to get one.

Their are some variation between embassies and consulates.

• Like 1

METV, extensions and counted days question.

Dear all (particularly Ubon Joe -Der Meister).

I'm from the UK,  entering Thailand 9th December, and doing a training course starting 4th March 2019, ending 3rd May. Clearly I will ideally need a 60 day stretch to complete that course (although I presume it would be possible to do a visa run if necessary). I would also like as many days stay as possible thereafter.

My question is, is it possible to do an extension of stay at immigration within the length of the METV visa, effectively adding days to my total stay (just like the old DETV) , or, would that extension then count towards my total stay on the visa?

Also, if I wish to spend a week in another country during the METV visa, will that reduce the total time I can spend in Thailand. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

G.  

Edited by Globaleyes
Add a question and correct a spelling mistake.

A METV is valid for 6 months (it has a valid from and a valid until date), when you enter within the validity period you get a permit to stay for 60 days which can be extended for 30 days. Extending a permit to stay does not change the valid until date of your visa.

If you spend a week in another country this does again not change the valid until date of your visa, but effectively you have less time to spend in Thailand with this visa.

The easiest way for you would probably be to enter Thailand, after 60 days get a 30 day extension and then make a visa run / trip to another country just before your course starts.

59 minutes ago, Globaleyes said:

METV, extensions and counted days question.

Dear all (particularly Ubon Joe -Der Meister).

I'm from the UK,  entering Thailand 9th December, and doing a training course starting 4th March 2019, ending 3rd May. Clearly I will ideally need a 60 day stretch to complete that course (although I presume it would be possible to do a visa run if necessary). I would also like as many days stay as possible thereafter.

My question is, is it possible to do an extension of stay at immigration within the length of the METV visa, effectively adding days to my total stay (just like the old DETV) , or, would that extension then count towards my total stay on the visa?

Also, if I wish to spend a week in another country during the METV visa, will that reduce the total time I can spend in Thailand. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

G.  

Yes you can extend any of the 60 day stays by 30 days for 1,900 baht.

Every time you enter using the METV you get a new 60 day stay. That includes up to and including the ‘enter before’ (visa expiry) date printed on the visa.

The visa has a set 6 month window it can be used. You can enter as often as you want within that window.