Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

Stand away from the road an get your Thai friend to stop the cab, when agreed jump in with your Thai friend always works, and the Thai driver tricks, otherwise don't get a taxi at shopping center, tourist places... If you have to walk away further down the road from where the taxi's are stopped and stop a moving taxi works every-time...

Surely any new visitors to Bangkok do not know these silly little games you have to play, just to get an honest taxi fare from A to B. They probably, also, would not be wedged up with 20 baht notes like the TV experts, and would expect the correct change from a higher denomination note ?

Its Bangkok and you nor I will every change how these greedy and needy Taxi drivers who target Foreigners, Smart up or Pay Up.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post says its smarter for taxi drivers to work the same location rather than driving around.
But the current thread is saying always get a cab that is not stationary.

Some taxis park outside the same locations, while others drive around...

Cabs parked outside places like Panthip and MBK are more likely to want to drive off the meter, and demand a higher fare.

Walk a hundred metres or so, hail a passing cab and most will turn on the meter automatically, unlike their stationary brethren.

This post says its smarter for taxi drivers to work the same location rather than driving around.

But the current thread is saying always get a cab that is not stationary.

Some taxis park outside the same locations, while others drive around...

Cabs parked outside places like Panthip and MBK are more likely to want to drive off the meter, and demand a higher fare.

Walk a hundred metres or so, hail a passing cab and most will turn on the meter automatically, unlike their stationary brethren.

The point is, why do you have to walk that 100 metres ?

I'm blaming this thread for the first time in 11 years here having a problem getting a taxi from ploenchit to my office on Rama 4, of 3 one didn't want to go and 2 didn't want to use the meter. All were hailed, and not stationary at the side of the road.

Damn you ThaiVisa and your trouble with taxi thread!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really try to avoid taxis as there is always an issue. Take motorcycles and skytrain. Always take airport train ( even though its so packed) so I can avoid the taxis.

Yep, skytrain and mrt. Skytrain connection to Airport rail link at Phaya Thai. MRT connection to Airport rail link at Phetchaburi/Makkasan.

Sometimes wonder if Airport rail link is actually "office worker rail link". Good news is it starts at Swampi. But going to Swampi can be a nightmare just before/after office hours.

I'm blaming this thread for the first time in 11 years here having a problem getting a taxi from ploenchit to my office on Rama 4, of 3 one didn't want to go and 2 didn't want to use the meter. All were hailed, and not stationary at the side of the road.

I'd like to offer my sincere and wholehearted apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh!, I get it. ThaiVisa started the thread. It makes sense now.

Do many people have accidents taking motorbike taxis?

I have used them a few times, very fast and rather scary.

Are they known to be somewhat risky?

Yes there risky, GF was on a motorbike taxi accident, factored ribs, bruises, lucky nothing serious. After 3 years in Bangkok I have kinda stopped using them altogether. Safer in a Taxi cab... A/C etc.

I have lived on both sides in Bangkok , near Taksin and in the Bangna area, never had a problem with taxis using the meter. But I always take them from outside BTS or MRT stations, or catch them on the main roads, just tell the driver my destination and the meter will be turned on, no need to worry.

I think this is just a location problem , try to find one in any tourist area and it will be difficult to find an honest driver,

So the bad reputation is undeserved?

In my last example, it was not a meter taxi.

I have also had issues with a Bangkok Taxi driver, who managed to get lost, then insisted we get out of the taxi and he abandoned us also unsure where we were. I have had refusal of meter numerous times. Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok. After standing and waiting, at a taxi rank, it is not how it is meant to work. The compliance to obligation to accept the fare should be 100%, rather than interrogation, and then being jumped by someone prepared to go off meter, while I have to wait, is unacceptable.

I believe if one tries to get a taxi in particular areas, the incidence of problems will be higher than in other areas.

I didn't say it was undeserved, what I do say is that the reputation is not as bad as some Thaivisa posters would like everyone to believe.

This is a thread about metered taxis so why quote your friend's experience in a non-metered taxi as an example? Meters in taxis have been required by law in Bangkok for more than 20 years (except for those still on the road that were originally registered without them) so any non-metered taxis in Bangkok must be very old and they are a rare sight these days so it's interesting that your friend was able to find one, never mind choose to get in one.

Since when has Bangkok been "smoggy"? Every time you cite something that is clearly incorrect the credibility of your posts diminish.

Nor is it as undeserved as some TV posters would have us believe either!

The title does not specify metered taxis, and what I choose to post is my choice is it not! A taxi, is a taxi! Bad customer treatment is what it is meter or not!

You do not get to define it Mr Schoolteacher.

And now you believe Bangkok does not have polluted air, not even from the exhausts of all those rude taxis and diesel buses..

Your posts started out with low cred and have not improved at all! I just read a few, nag nag nag.

I'd like to offer my sincere and wholehearted apologies.

Its not enough....it could never be enough to ease the pain.

I'd offer him 500 Baht compensation but he likely has no change for my 1k Baht note.

Only kidding moonoi....but sounds like your strike rate is normally pretty high!

Taxis are great value in Bangkok compare to most Capital Cities around the world, Stop complaining and give the next airport taxi - Good driver a Good Tip.

The last Taxi I got in Bangkok was my trip home, me and my GF, the taxi driver didn't charge us as he was having a great day as his previous customer gave him a big tip!

Taxis are great value in Bangkok compare to most Capital Cities around the world, Stop complaining and give the next airport taxi - Good driver a Good Tip.

sure. We should make sure that they're paid the same as they would be in the West.

My car got clamped (shouldn't have been).

How much is the fine in your own country? I was asked at the station.

I don't know, I said. I've lived here for 10 years.

Well, it's 700b in France, so I'll fine you 700b.

Okay.

Seemed strange.

Kind of like the idea that taxis in Thailand are cheaper than many places, so we should tip them with lots of cash. facepalm.gif

coffee1.gif

I know that but Thats Thailand... Its still a lot cheaper that Paris for a cab, over your earning per year....

sure. We should make sure that they're paid the same as they would be in the West.

My car got clamped (shouldn't have been).

How much is the fine in your own country? I was asked at the station.

I don't know, I said. I've lived here for 10 years.

Well, it's 700b in France, so I'll fine you 700b.

Okay.

Seemed strange.

Kind of like the idea that taxis in Thailand are cheaper than many places, so we should tip them with lots of cash. facepalm.gif

coffee1.gif

I don't compare Bangkok taxis against fares or services elsewhere.

I have a level of expectation from a Bangkok taxi that includes them taking me a reasonable way in the direction they are broadly travelling for the meter price.

I expect them to do so politely...and most do this very well indeed...I have no complaints really....bar that one driver a year who seems to be on yaba or whatever.

Just look at the news section today Mr Soibiker. Thais have problems too and like faranags they expect service. So its not just complaining foreigners.

I don't know why you keep labouring this point.

I'm not denying that some people have problems with taxis. That was the whole idea of the thread - to try and figure out why some people experience these issues more than others.

Just look at the news section today Mr Soibiker. Thais have problems too and like faranags they expect service. So its not just complaining foreigners.

I don't know why you keep labouring this point.

I'm not denying that some people have problems with taxis. That was the whole idea of the thread - to try and figure out why some people experience these issues more than others.

Because you and I and mow it seems Thais have a different attitude. I and the Thai in the report seem to think that a driver should take a fare and bring us to where we go while you seem to think we should adapt and beg for a ride. You put the blame on the wrong party.

You even brought language in it while sure Thais who have problems speak thai.

I think you're confusing two different interpretations of the word 'should' - what they should do in an ideal case, vs what we should do to avoid problems.

I'm not trying to fix Thailand. I just want an easy life.

Bending over does tend to hurt less over time. So i think your life will get easier. I did not try to fix Thailand that is for the Thais to do. But the app that helped with complaints was good the more complaints the better. Because then the driver does get a penalty.

My way to get an easier life is to avoid taxis. This way i don't have to bend over and play their games.

In a way your avoidance works but we don't all have that luxury of having a close destination and submitting to the taxi driver wishes.

Its not like you can change your destination. So then the only thing that works is making a complaint or having alternate transportation.

Things that don't work

Speaking Thai as Thais have the same problem.

Changing destination as you need to go there anyway.

Walking around and taking cabs that move might work. Also i do agree people should have some normal change.

You seem to be trying to argue with a position I haven't taken.

Like I said at the start, I'd noticed that some people have problems, whilst I and others don't. I was just curious why. This thread has provided some answers.

Sorry that I'm not as angry about it all as you want me to be. I'm just not that guy.

Well I am sure stabbing customers will help that 'undeserved' bad reputation. 1zgarz5.gif

and dodgy meters, in other news today.

Many people say that learning to speak Thai isn't exactly a blessing, as they learn about real Thainess. Little wonder many with poor language abilities are unaware of what's really going on around them. Kind of an ignorance is bliss, situation. :)

Well I am sure stabbing customers will help that 'undeserved' bad reputation. 1zgarz5.gif

Well... according to the apologists on this thread he was probably stabbed because:

He did not speak enough Thai

He did not have exact change

He hailed the cab in the wrong place

He hailed the cab at the wrong time

His destination was inappropriate

His destination required too much traffic

He did not have the social skills to schmooze the driver

He did not understand Thainess

He fully understood Thainess

Or any more of a dozen reasons which have nothing to do with the actual root cause of the issue.

SL

Archived