Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

Interesting that you mention traffic, though. I think perhaps one reason I have less trouble is because I live here, I know what the traffic is like, and if I'm aware that a journey is likely to involve a hour sat in a traffic jam, I don't try and do it by taxi.

but a few posts ago you mentioned that the taxi drivers told you a few times that it would be better then to drop you at the nearest BTS...

Well yes, thats the point - its better to use the BTS rather than sit in traffic in a taxi.

There are smart times and ways to use taxis in Bangkok and there is no way everyone is going to be happy.

Those of us who rarely have an issue know which side of the street to stand and how to avoid rush hour traffic by minutes.

Tourists to Bangkok don't know this and so its frustrating for them and the drivers.

Simple really given Bangkok's traffic issues...just keep smiling folks at least.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that you mention traffic, though. I think perhaps one reason I have less trouble is because I live here, I know what the traffic is like, and if I'm aware that a journey is likely to involve a hour sat in a traffic jam, I don't try and do it by taxi.

but a few posts ago you mentioned that the taxi drivers told you a few times that it would be better then to drop you at the nearest BTS...

Well yes, thats the point - its better to use the BTS rather than sit in traffic in a taxi.

There are smart times and ways to use taxis in Bangkok and there is no way everyone is going to be happy.

Those of us who rarely have an issue know which side of the street to stand and how to avoid rush hour traffic by minutes.

Tourists to Bangkok don't know this and so its frustrating for them and the drivers.

Simple really given Bangkok's traffic issues...just keep smiling folks at least.

So after 3 pages you have come to the conclusion that people who know what they are doing are better at doing what they are doing than those who don't know what they are doing.

Yes that is pretty obvious. My point is that you talk like you know bangkok so well that you know exactly when and where to use a taxi yet you have been told by taxi drivers before to just go to the BTS and drop you off. So which one is it? Being told by a taxi driver that BTS is a better option doesn't sound like some one who knows his way around the city.

I never had a problem like them not using the meter. Like you I seldom ever had a problem with any of them.

There was only one time I know of when the Taxi Driver thought I was a Tourist and took me by the scenic route to add more to the meter. I didn't mind this so much except I had a plane to catch at a different airport. I just let him know that I knew what he was doing, then explained why I need to rush. He got me their on time, mind at 50 Baht or 100 Baht more.

I rarely visit Bangkok, maybe 3-4 times a year.

Every time I get a Taxi from Mochit, I have to remind the driver to turn the meter on.

One occasion, the driver claimed an issue with the car, pulled over, and just stood smoking a cigarrette.,After 5 minutes, I got out, paid him what was on the meter, hailed another, no problem, as we drove off, he closed the bonnet and also drove off.

Last visit to Chinatown, I waited and was refused by 15 taxi's in a row that didnt want to take me "on the meter" wanted higher one off payment, but mostly that didnt want the journey from Chinatown to Suhkumvit. They stopped, open the window asked where, when told, they just drove off.

Thats my experience of Bangkok drivers, and nothing much has changed for as long as I can remember. Its a lottery in my opinion, depending on time of day and where you are going from/to. Some good some bad, unfortunately my experience is mostly bad. The good a refreshing change and I always tip those guys well.

Haha, you must be one of those.. inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome) people mentioned by an apologist earlier. Personally I think it depends from where you pick up a taxi, (tourist areas are bad) and where you want to get to, ( a difficult and slow journey will be avoided) and whether you will tolerate 'no meter'.

Bangkok Taxi drivers do not have an atrocious reputation for nothing!

had to post on this one - been here 15 years and driving the whole time but have had a few taxi experiences - i live out in Rangsit - but what happened to the american guy on suk soi 50 that got into an argument and then got killed with a sword by the taxi driver over a 50 bt fare?

Came back from phuket to Don muang in 2008 and got in a cab - driver said no meter once in and wanted 300 bt for a 100 bt fare to future park area... well the wife said no - stop the car - the driver then stepped on the gas and slammed on the brakes twice- trying to give us the bang your head syndrome on the front seat from the back seat of the cab - and we were still in the airport road ! ... well jeez - finally got him to stop and I wanted the get another cab as was about midnight - the wife was having none of that - marched us back to the cop station at the airport and told the cops and guess what - they went out and got this guy - he had gone right back to the taxi line up ! - brought him inside for the witness deal and I think fined him 500 bt on the spot - maybe he was on drugs don't know..... yah good drivers out in the burbs mostly - some won't go downtown - ok no prob - i did meet one guy and got his number so he will go anywhere if not busy and he smokes - so can smoke in his cab...5 5 5 - down on suk soi 11 a couple of nights and nobody wants to go to Rangsit - had to ask 4-5-6 taxi's and I would tip big - but have had to cough up the 500 bt no meter for the 300 bt ride a couple of times...one night was the night that the guy driving the Porsch at 270 kpm hit the SUV on the Viphawadee tollway - we didn't see the accident - but we were there right after - and I swear the SUV was a good 100 yards up in front of the Porsch - couldn't believe it... I now drive home in the slow lane on the tollway and keep an eye out for crazy race car drivers late at night if coming home...one night in the middle lane at 1 am cruising home and a Ferrari went by in the fast lane at 200+ and scared the bejesus out of me - I didn't see him coming at all in the rear view mirror he was going that fast...

anyway - some of my taxi stories - mostly been fine - one old guy in and old taxi asked me how many wives i had - I told him only one - one is enough - then he tells me he has 5 wives - had to laugh at that one...

Every time I get a Taxi from Mochit, I have to remind the driver to turn the meter on.

One occasion, the driver claimed an issue with the car, pulled over, and just stood smoking a cigarrette.,After 5 minutes, I got out, paid him what was on the meter, hailed another, no problem, as we drove off, he closed the bonnet and also drove off.

Last visit to Chinatown, I waited and was refused by 15 taxi's in a row that didnt want to take me "on the meter" wanted higher one off payment, but mostly that didnt want the journey from Chinatown to Suhkumvit. They stopped, open the window asked where, when told, they just drove off.

Thats my experience of Bangkok drivers, and nothing much has changed for as long as I can remember. Its a lottery in my opinion, depending on time of day and where you are going from/to. Some good some bad, unfortunately my experience is mostly bad. The good a refreshing change and I always tip those guys well.

[/quot

Your experience is opposite to mine.I have never had a problem with meters since they where introduced.Never had a problem from Morchit either.Some of us are just lucky,i guess.Considering how big and confusing Bangkok is,i commend the mostly Issan lads on their knowledge of the bid mango.Actually getting a taxi can be a challenge at times,i try to be in a bar in peak hour.

My wife usually handles it and speaks to the driver, although I can and have spoken Thai with them.

The Mochit instances are usually 2pm ish,

Chinatown was 4pm

MBK/shopping areas, makes no difference what time.

last time I was at MBK at the rear, there was Cop pulling in any driver who refused a fare and was ticketed on the spot.

When you refer to Morchit,do you mean the bus station.I don't know how the can refuse there as they are lined up and would hold up the others if a long discussion occured.

Yes that is pretty obvious. My point is that you talk like you know bangkok so well that you know exactly when and where to use a taxi yet you have been told by taxi drivers before to just go to the BTS and drop you off. So which one is it? Being told by a taxi driver that BTS is a better option doesn't sound like some one who knows his way around the city.

It's funny when people get all excited because they mistakenly think they've caught someone in some kind of contradiction.

Yes, I know Bangkok fairly well. But I didn't just arrive here like that. I got to know the place by living here a while, looking around, experiencing stuff and talking to people - such as the taxi drivers I mentioned.

I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

one more - was downtown on soi 11 one night - finally got the taxi - thought ok great 500 bt... ok 300 for cab and 200 bt tip ok... get to the first tollbooth and give the driver 100 bt for the 30 bt toll and then he wants to keep the change... and on the drive from downtown to Rangsit - halfway out he says "oh so far to Rangsit - have to be 700 bt" and i say no.... it is 500 bt as we agreed - and he still has the 70 bt in change from the toll booth - so I told him to keep it.... so we get out to my street - bok soi from Viphawadee as i had had enough of this jerk and could still get motorcike taxi home - and he says " oh i am out of NGV - where is a NGV station ? " well i had to laugh - I say to myself serves you right you jerk... good luck getting back downtown... but i did tell him there was a 24 station back by future park 5 5 5 hope he made it there... - but yah - some lovely experiences in taxi's from Downtown over the years...

Stevev Blunder

Rangsit

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

A factually incorrect comment! Anyone who lives in Bangkok and uses or has used the metered taxis knows that a large percentages donot follow the correct rules. Thats why many of us use Uber or other taxi apps. So basically you dont know what you are talking about!

My comment was a correct observation.

What do you call a "large percentage", 10%?

Conclusion? I know exactly what I'm talking about and your post proves it.

proves nothing . You're wrong

In the almost 3 years that I've been residing in Thailand, I'v had to travel to Bangkok on only four occasions. Only one experience where a driver quoted me B500 to take me from Don Mueang airport to the Australian Embassy, which I had travelled before at a metred price of B230. Obviously, he did not want to put on the metre, however, when I told him in Thai that I would not travel and as I was getting out he agreed to the metre. Very heavy traffic that day, cost B255.

i never let them know that I am able to speak Thai and wait to see if they try to sting me. On the last occassion that I required a taxi was last Wednesday. Travelled from Don Mueang to Wattana Amphur, not a problem, metre activated so gave a tip. Cost was B230. Later travelled to Krung Thai Bank head office at Sukhumvit, again metred and no problem.

The same afternoon, hailed a taxi but when he said no metre, I told him no fare, so he left. The second taxi agreed to the metre and to take me to Don Mueang but told me in broken English that the toll charges were B100 and the 2nd toll B150, as I had to pay for his return journey. Explained, in Thai, that I was not a tourist and if he wanted the fare, then no overcharging. He laughed and thought it was funny that I had caught him out.

I also gave him directions so he didn't have to use the second toll way, which he well knew and thought this was funny also. No more problems and I gave him a tip, despite him tryingto have a go, which, if he got away with it, then good luck but having struck a farang who knew the way, the costs and could speak Thai, he was very jovial for the entire journey. Maybe I'm lucky that I took time to learn and understand the lingo, which sees me have no trouble at all with taxis. And in no way am I rude, just start speaking to them in Thai if they try their little game and their facial expression is worth a thousand words when they realise they've been caught out.

[/quot

I use a different approach,i converse in Thai straight away and avoid the entrapment sting.Never had a problem,they know,you know.

So, thanks to all that have responded. I think a clear picture is emerging of why some people have trouble with taxis and others don't.

Basically, it's location, location, location. I don't have problems with them for two reasons -

1 - I don't take taxis from the single digit end of Sukhumvit, or a few other problem areas.

2 - I don't attempt to use taxis for journeys through a lot of heavy traffic, where another form of transport is more appropriate. For example, it would never occur to me to try and get to or from MBK by taxi. The BTS is so much quicker and easier.

It also seems to me that most people could easily avoid these issues. If you're at one of these problem areas, just walk a couple hundred yards to an area outside the tourist ghetto, and definitely don't use stationary taxis. And don't use taxis for cross-town journeys through heavy traffic, when you could just use the BTS or MRT.

BTS and MRT are the best thing that has happened in Bangkok in the last 11 years.I stay near a station and plan most of my trips including this transport,out of peak hours.

Smokie36

So you are saying you know BKK better as the 1000 of Thais who have the same problems as the foreigners that are refused. I bet a fair percentage of those are from BKK. I think its more about location, and accepting that you will be refused when you go during a difficult time / bad location instead like the Thais who don't accept it and even go the government to crack down on taxi's.

There is a reason for the sting operations and crackdown against taxi drivers who don't accept rides, and that reason is not foreigners but the Thais who are as much fed up with it as the foreigners. (unless you think foreigners have the same influence as Thais in these things). So even the Thais don't accept it and now you got some foreingers here defending the Thais and saying there is no problem if you just avoid any problem on the side of the taxi driver.

If you become a taxi driver you HAVE to accept the rides its in the law. They are not free spirits that can do what they want (otherwise those crackdowns would not have happened and its in the taxi law).

I do agree that giving in and avoiding is the better way for people who get stressed easy.

As for a large percentage.. someone made a comment on that.. its a large percentage compared to other places in the world. Sometimes its also a large percentage of all the rides you get (depending on location and destination).

So there is a problem and you can either accept it and give in or report them and make a difference. There was an app where you could take pictures of the taxi his number plates / registration and make a complaint.

I gave in in a way and started to use my own transportation a lot more. But I am far form the way some of you guys are defending the bad behavior by making the customer the one who has the problem / strange request (asking for a taxi ride from taxi driver).

And for those who want to call me a Thai basher (not you or soibiker) read my other posts and see how i quite often defend Thais against all that stupid Thaibashing here on the forum.

Most of the time I don't have problems with Taxi drivers and I don't bitch about them, there have been a few times I've had issues:

1) After a night out about a year ago, end of Suk 11 at 2am. Taxis were refusing to take ANYONE on the meter, Thai or Farang

2) Mid day near Lumphinee park with a friend and her baby, took 6 taxis before we got one who'd take us back to Sukhumvit. Really really hot and even though there was a small child they didn't care about saying no.

3) Last week at Ikea, wanting to go to Ekkamai. 6 Taxis refused before one finally said yes

It's definitely down to area. If I'm at home it's Uber or the car option on Grab taxi everytime.

I was near Cabbages and Condoms a few months ago. A group of tourists were just outside trying to get a taxi to use the meter. No way. He just kept saying "200 Baht". I heard where they were going and it was way too much. So, they had to walk down the soi towards Suk. The driver following them and yelling "200 Baht". Sad tourists have to walk around looking for a taxi that will use a meter.

We were on Soi 11 the next night. Trying to get to Thong Lor around 1PM. We had to go through 4-5 taxis before finding one that would use the meter. My wife's pretty good. No meter, no way. But it's frustrating. And this shouldn't be allowed.

Her brother met us at MBK and lives quite a way out of town. We stood outside for a long time trying to get find a taxi that would take him. Most refused. Took 15 minutes before one would agree.

I was with a friend from Bangkok last night. We talked about this. He told me of his recent trip from Soi 11. Meter? Yes! Went 200 meters and the fare was already at 250 Baht. He got out before Suk and gave the driver 50 Baht. Scams abound.

The Thai News forum is filled with topics about problems with taxi drivers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/819709-harsher-penalties-for-belligerent-thai-taxi-drivers-who-are-not-fair-with-the-fare/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/820867-officials-take-action-against-siam-paragons-rejecting-taxi-list/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/780736-thai-taxi-drivers-explain-why-they-reject-you/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/809862-taxi-drivers-fined-for-rejecting-passengers-at-bangkoks-mbk-center-again/

You are correct.

Commonly you will encounter a good number of them that will not take you to where you request them to go.

It is ultimately up to them while they are in business for themselves and not someone's employee while no one effectively forces them to take on every traveler to every destination.

On average, about 10 percent of the time I am refused...... and I use taxis a lot.

When the taxi driver roles down the window and they have to ask you where you want to go it is the first indicator the driver is looking for the easy money passenger.....so sometimes I just wave the taxi driver on and do not even bother to tell the driver where I want to go....and then hail down another cab...of course.

Then there are the times they agree to go ..but they grumble and whine and complain the whole time about the traffic.

As I can speak Thai fairly well now I usually engage the drivers in Conversation, talking about a number of issues...but mostly the traffic and the difficulties the drivers have making money as a taxi driver....as they do not make much money really ....on average of around 15,000 baht a month profit.....but they all agree to one thing....they are free ( Is-Sah-Rah ) to do as they please and do not have to punch the clock for some company or have a boss...as they are the boss of their own small business enterprise...but usually they have to work everyday, 12 to 14 hours.

Overall ...90 % of them are OK...but yes there is that 10 % that come with an attitude.

Cheers

Yes simply I have trouble with Taxis. Probably due to the place I live and where I am going. Yesterday at 11.00am from Ramkamheng area going to Sukhumvit the first 5 taxis said no. This a few years ago would be unheard off. There are some good taxi drivers but there seems to be a lot of poor ones. The promises by this government that it would change didn't happen. Just go down soi 11 on sukhumvit any time of day and and try and get a taxi. With the meter on. Nearly impossible. They are sharks down there and need to be taken off the streets as the image of Thailand (which seems so important) is poor with tourist as they are constantly scammed in that soi and others.

You are correct.

Commonly you will encounter a good number of them that will not take you to where you request them to go.

It is ultimately up to them while they are in business for themselves and not someone's employee while no one effectively forces them to take on every traveler to every destination.

On average, about 10 percent of the time I am refused...... and I use taxis a lot.

When the taxi driver roles down the window and they have to ask you where you want to go it is the first indicator the driver is looking for the easy money passenger.....so sometimes I just wave the taxi driver on and do not even bother to tell the driver where I want to go....and then hail down another cab...of course.

Then there are the times they agree to go ..but they grumble and whine and complain the whole time about the traffic.

As I can speak Thai fairly well now I usually engage the drivers in Conversation, talking about a number of issues...but mostly the traffic and the difficulties the drivers have making money as a taxi driver....as they do not make much money really ....on average of around 15,000 baht a month profit.....but they all agree to one thing....they are free ( Is-Sah-Rah ) to do as they please and do not have to punch the clock for some company or have a boss...as they are the boss of their own small business enterprise...but usually they have to work everyday, 12 to 14 hours.

Overall ...90 % of them are OK...but yes there is that 10 % that come with an attitude.

Cheers

That is not true.. when they become a taxi driver by law they have to accept the rides. That has been in the news too. So please stop spreading misinformation.

quite often had problems with them I live a bit outside BKK, but here they are ok. But once in the center of BKK its a totally different story. Plenty of problems there mainly not wanting to go to the destination or when out in the tourist area's not wanting to turn on their meters. Good reason to have my own transportation. I was that fed up with it.

Which destinations, and which tourist areas, though?

• Definitely lower Suk especilly if you with your wife and shopping. They know you are not a sucker tourist which i find is a compliment and they can wait for somebody else to make some bonus money .
  • Outside Chutachuk (JJ) Markets can be iffy occasionally .
  • The airport and other transport hubs
  • Through the redshirt rallies a few years ago - now there were some fun drivers operating especially if they detected your wife was from the Issan. A million questions as to why she wasn't wearing a redshirt . Free Choice or independent thought was not an optional answer. She has her views and doesn't need to interogated or converted to the only truth they recognize.
  • But overall outside of these locations i have very few problems with taxi drivers and we have a few friends in our neighbourhood who are cabbies and we always use them for any major trips or pre -arranged trips and we look after them and they look after us. In fact if you don't look down upon them and give a bit of respect you will usually get it back.

You are correct.

Cheers

That is not true.. when they become a taxi driver by law they have to accept the rides. That has been in the news too. So please stop spreading misinformation.

Please stop being such a Silly Nilly....lol

Obviously there is nothing effectively stopping them from saying NO..... to you and or anyone else.

The laws ( that you mention ) do not effectively make 100 % of the taxi drivers take on every passenger, every time.

As you already know well, all too many Thai people are all too often NOT compliant with the laws.....and NEVER will be.

While you are talking about the laws ....in reality, at street level, all too many of them are ignoring the laws and understood as such because of the numerous complaints about taxi drivers that refuse to accept the traveler and or refuse to use the meter and or rig their meters or make like they are lost so they can make some extra money or get into altercations with the passengers while the list goes on.

So, please stop living in a dream world thinking the laws will force every single Thai taxi driver to comply with the laws.

I can only surmise you would have a temper tantrum, and major melt down right then and there if refused and then take down the drivers license number and actually call the police or any other relevant law enforcement authorities to report to them that Somchai Thai refused to take you where you requested.....and you demand immediate Justice be served for such a heinous crime perpetrated.

Meantime, the rest of the citizens just shrug it off and hail down another cab..........Simple.

Cheers ...and think about it before you answer with an angry retort.

Have had good and bad experiences including: feeling sick after all the unnecessary lane changes, denial of a pick up due to the expected heavier traffic around Paragon from Ladprao, driver using phone, unpleasant smells, unknown direction, wanting to restart meter as one person was dropped off.

Had one driver receiving a phone call from his sister shortly after starting off and explained he needed to drop us and go pick her up. No major problem as dropped us on main road with no charge, though we paid some, and we caught another taxi.

When using taxis it is mostly from Ladprao to central city for meetings or somewhere where no parking is available.

Good write upon FB my travels.

I find this rather strange, as I very rarely have any problem with taxi drivers - I can't remember the last time one refused to use the meter, and only on rare occasions do they decline to take me where I want to go.

Agree. Admittedly I don't take taxis that often and the destination has almost always been in central Bangkok . Have had few who have asked if it's OK not to use the meter. Those have always offered a reasonable flat charge. Can't recall anyone declining to go where I want to go. All of have either seemed pleasantly chatty or quietly business-like. Sometimes when traffic seems really grid-locked I'll opt for a tuk-tuk and have found the drivers to be equally pleasant (and able to get from A to B very quickly).

I'm sure they're are some cranky, argumentative types out there, but I've not come across any.

It's funny when people get all excited because they mistakenly think they've caught someone in some kind of contradiction.

Yes, I know Bangkok fairly well. But I didn't just arrive here like that. I got to know the place by living here a while, looking around, experiencing stuff and talking to people - such as the taxi drivers I mentioned.

There is nothing obvious about your posts because you leave out most of the details and then just fill them in as you go. I think it's pretty obvious that if you say about the taxi drivers telling you to go by BTS, then it was a long time ago and not relevant to this thread that you started about taxis now.

You ask about ones experiences and want very specific information because you are so surprised that they could differ from your experiences so much. Even when they provide the information you still seem to write it off as a rare occurrence.

It's nice that you always have such pleasant experiences in thailand and can't ever remember a bad one. The simple fact is that Bangkok traffic is horrendous and taking a taxi for the average person (especially tourists) is far from a pleasant experience.

This is very apparent when there are numerous articles written about this, countless YouTube videos showing taxi drivers doing ridiculous things, and most telling is that the Police are actually enforcing laws for taxi drivers that violate the Laws.

Normally the drivers are good. I was refused service to the airport, by the first three taxis unless I

paid a fixed amount because of delays and traffic. It turned out that there were minimal delays.

I understand the taxi may not make as much money by going to the airport. A policy problem that

needs to be taken care of.

There is nothing obvious about your posts because you leave out most of the details and then just fill them in as you go. I think it's pretty obvious that if you say about the taxi drivers telling you to go by BTS, then it was a long time ago and not relevant to this thread that you started about taxis now.

You ask about ones experiences and want very specific information because you are so surprised that they could differ from your experiences so much. Even when they provide the information you still seem to write it off as a rare occurrence.

It's nice that you always have such pleasant experiences in thailand and can't ever remember a bad one. The simple fact is that Bangkok traffic is horrendous and taking a taxi for the average person (especially tourists) is far from a pleasant experience.

This is very apparent when there are numerous articles written about this, countless YouTube videos showing taxi drivers doing ridiculous things, and most telling is that the Police are actually enforcing laws for taxi drivers that violate the Laws.

Sorry if I didn't post exactly as you feel I should.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread, but I'm not interested in getting drawn into a silly argument.

You are correct.

Cheers

Please stop being such a Silly Nilly....lol

Obviously there is nothing effectively stopping them from saying NO..... to you and or anyone else.

The laws ( that you mention ) do not effectively make 100 % of the taxi drivers take on every passenger, every time.

As you already know well, all too many Thai people are all too often NOT compliant with the laws.....and NEVER will be.

While you are talking about the laws ....in reality, at street level, all too many of them are ignoring the laws and understood as such because of the numerous complaints about taxi drivers that refuse to accept the traveler and or refuse to use the meter and or rig their meters or make like they are lost so they can make some extra money or get into altercations with the passengers while the list goes on.

So, please stop living in a dream world thinking the laws will force every single Thai taxi driver to comply with the laws.

I can only surmise you would have a temper tantrum, and major melt down right then and there if refused and then take down the drivers license number and actually call the police or any other relevant law enforcement authorities to report to them that Somchai Thai refused to take you where you requested.....and you demand immediate Justice be served for such a heinous crime perpetrated.

Meantime, the rest of the citizens just shrug it off and hail down another cab..........Simple.

Cheers ...and think about it before you answer with an angry retort.

Nope no temper tantrum here, i'm not prone to aggression at all. Just have a sense of what is right and wrong. In the past I just took a pic of license and reg and used an app to complain. Doing my bit to help crack down on those guys instead of bending over and accepting it all. Quite a few Thais did the same, why do you think those crackdowns came.. because all Thais did as you ? or because they complained ?

Taxi's do get fined if they have too many complaints so the system works in a way, its better as doing nothing. But no temper here and I know the score so just reporting them is enough. However since I got a new phone I lost the app and because I don't use them enough anymore I could not be bothered to find it again. A Thai friend had put it on there before.

my wife and myself are often in Bangkok and yes we had some problems with getting a Taxi in China Town and Bobae Tower but we either wait for a while or get a public bus to the next MRT or Sky Train Station (our hotel is near a MRT station). The main reason, I think is the traffic jams at certain times and certain places. This is not only a Farang problem as it happens to Thais as well. We do not have had often the problem that a taxi driver did not use the meter. If this happens, than my wife kindly reminds him to switch on the taxi meter as he may have forgotten it.

Archived