Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

You seem to be trying to argue with a position I haven't taken.

Like I said at the start, I'd noticed that some people have problems, whilst I and others don't. I was just curious why. This thread has provided some answers.

Sorry that I'm not as angry about it all as you want me to be. I'm just not that guy.

No need to be angry about it. You said you don't have troubles, then why start a topic about it ? To tell others its their behaviour that causes the problem ? That was how the topic was interpreted by me.

I seldom get angry i get frustrated with them. I'm the type that tries to get some results

Hence the use of an app before and now just not using them cutting off their funds. (If enough people do that they will have to change).

The reason you don't have problems is location and nothing more.

I also have no problems near my home.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, I started the topic because I was curious as to why I didn't experience the issues that others do. It does appear that location is the main factor, as we established some pages ago.

I'm not what point you're trying to make here.

Like I said, I started the topic because I was curious as to why I didn't experience the issues that others do. It does appear that location is the main factor, as we established some pages ago.

If that is all then i agree location is they key. However it should not be like that. That is why there is a complaints hotline and why fines are handed out.

If that is all then i agree location is they key. However it should not be like that. That is why there is a complaints hotline and why fines are handed out.

You're right, it shouldn't. I'm not sure there's much we can do about it, though - apart from complain, as you suggest. However, I rarely run into these problems myself, so I don't have much cause to complain.

Looks like the OP has really made some friends with this topic. Welcome to my ignore list OP.

Why just because he has a different opinion ?

Its not like he attacked you or bashed you online.

Everyone is welcome to his/her opinion.

I have specific doubts about the ops affiliations, if he started this topic of his own accord, and the sincerity of most of his responses.

You're right, it shouldn't. I'm not sure there's much we can do about it, though - apart from complain, as you suggest. However, I rarely run into these problems myself, so I don't have much cause to complain.
i stopped using them for the most part so i don't have much to complain anymore too. Only if i wanted to go out for a late night and a drink would i have to use them and that is quite rare. But i understand the frustration of others with the bad taxi drivers as i have experienced it before.

When i first came here even going from the big c to my home was a problem. It was too close only a 50bt trip. And when you got in the center it was too far. So it was quite annoying.

Getting a car and bike were a blessing for the too short rides. The other rides were a bit harder. The occasional drinking day excluded there is no need to rely on them anymore.

As for a service provider keeping a float - say 1,000 baht in change, it's just basic common sense and good service.

And, of course, it's just basic common sense for someone about to use a taxi to have some change as most of the time it's easier and less inconvenient for that person to get change than it is for a taxi driver.

So the bad reputation is undeserved?

In my last example, it was not a meter taxi.

I have also had issues with a Bangkok Taxi driver, who managed to get lost, then insisted we get out of the taxi and he abandoned us also unsure where we were. I have had refusal of meter numerous times. Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok. After standing and waiting, at a taxi rank, it is not how it is meant to work. The compliance to obligation to accept the fare should be 100%, rather than interrogation, and then being jumped by someone prepared to go off meter, while I have to wait, is unacceptable.

I believe if one tries to get a taxi in particular areas, the incidence of problems will be higher than in other areas.

I didn't say it was undeserved, what I do say is that the reputation is not as bad as some Thaivisa posters would like everyone to believe.

This is a thread about metered taxis so why quote your friend's experience in a non-metered taxi as an example? Meters in taxis have been required by law in Bangkok for more than 20 years (except for those still on the road that were originally registered without them) so any non-metered taxis in Bangkok must be very old and they are a rare sight these days so it's interesting that your friend was able to find one, never mind choose to get in one.

Since when has Bangkok been "smoggy"? Every time you cite something that is clearly incorrect the credibility of your posts diminish.

Nor is it as undeserved as some TV posters would have us believe either!

The title does not specify metered taxis, and what I choose to post is my choice is it not! A taxi, is a taxi! Bad customer treatment is what it is meter or not!

You do not get to define it Mr Schoolteacher.

And now you believe Bangkok does not have polluted air, not even from the exhausts of all those rude taxis and diesel buses..

Your posts started out with low cred and have not improved at all! I just read a few, nag nag nag.

The OP is talking about Bangkok taxis, they're metered. A non-metered taxi is a totally different thing from a metered taxi.

You didn't refer to polluted air, you claimed that Bangkok was "smoggy", there's a difference, Bangkok doesn't suffer with smog. And the 95% of Bangkok buses are fuelled on lovely clean burning LPG.

The general consensus on this thread so far is that fewer people have problems than otherwise so I'll hand the low credibility card back to you.

"Nag, nag, nag"...isn't that the sort of response that comes from someone who doesn't actually have a response, a little like "whatever..."?

As for a service provider keeping a float - say 1,000 baht in change, it's just basic common sense and good service.

And, of course, it's just basic common sense for someone about to use a taxi to have some change as most of the time it's easier and less inconvenient for that person to get change than it is for a taxi driver.

So the responsibility lies on the customer as to not inconvenience the taxi driver.

Most people with any experience of taxis are aware, especially in Bangkok, that paying a fare with a 500 or 1000 baht bill will often result in the driver either not having or wanting to give you correct change. Some customers make sure they carry some smaller bills to avoid avoid this happening in the first place. Other customers don't wish to learn this simple truth and continue to have problems.

Most people with any experience of taxis are aware, especially in Bangkok, that paying a fare with a 500 or 1000 baht bill will often result in the driver either not having or wanting to give you correct change. Some customers make sure they carry some smaller bills to avoid avoid this happening in the first place. Other customers don't wish to learn this simple truth and continue to have problems.

Yup this is a simple and common sense truth which many (including myself) understand in a cash based society. Same as paying for a 60b street meal with a 500 note. Avoid it if avoidable. But the reality is the fixed location vendor realizes that you are a potential repeat customer, where the taxi driver will likely never encounter you again, and therefore has no reason to keep the transaction above board. And unfortunately 'no change' is only one of several potential clip techniques which are commonly employed.

As for the premise of the thread: a superiority complex is a common psychological defense mechanism, in which a persons need to proactively express superiority is actually an action to counter or conceal their feelings of inferiority.

SL

So the responsibility lies on the customer as to not inconvenience the taxi driver.

Who is the customer ?

Yup this is a simple and common sense truth which many (including myself) understand in a cash based society. Same as paying for a 60b street meal with a 500 note. Avoid it if avoidable. But the reality is the fixed location vendor realizes that you are a potential repeat customer, where the taxi driver will likely never encounter you again, and therefore has no reason to keep the transaction above board. And unfortunately 'no change' is only one of several potential clip techniques which are commonly employed.

As for the premise of the thread: a superiority complex is a common psychological defense mechanism, in which a persons need to proactively express superiority is actually an action to counter or conceal their feelings of inferiority.

SL

Superiority? No. Curiosity? Yes.

To the members complaining about taxi drivers not having change I'd just point out on numerous occasions I've been 20 Baht short of a fare or have to use a 1k Baht note and they have just accepted my short changing them with a smile.

Plenty good drivers out there and to be honest I usually round up to the nearest 20 anyway so all good.

If you are having issues repeatedly and regularly its likely you that is the problem.

SL

Superiority? No. Curiosity? Yes.

I donno - your questions might feign curiosity, but your replies to those who's honest experiences do not jive with your premise are rather condescending.

Ask for feedback; and then dismiss it?? More combative than curious IMO.

SL

Use Internet search engine to search for 'Cabbie caught cheating, filmed'. Click on link that reports about passenger cheated with dodgy taxi meter. What you will see could have happened to anyone.

If you haven't had any trouble with a Bangkok taxi, you don't take enough of them, have been extremely lucky (and I mean extremely), or have a vivid imagination.

There is no magic formula for not having any trouble with a Bangkok taxi. You can reduce the chances by working out/being aware of the obvious traps, but something like a dodgy meter you would not be aware until the taxi is on the move.

"Have had lots of problems with Bangkok taxis...Problems range from..driver trying to negotiate fixed fare once in the cab..."

Make up your mind, lot's of problems or once?

The 2nd paragraph's story wasn't in Thailand.

Anyone who uses a taxi, in any country, without having near enough the correct fare in 100s or 20s doesn't deserve to have the right to complain about the driver not having change. Co-operation is a two way thing.

I am not in a service business; therefore, I do not carry small change. I use all my small change first to make purchases or for tips. So, oh my, what would I do if I did not have correct change for a taxi? Probably get a larger note changed at my destination. So, please do not try to tell me I have no right to complain when a person in a service business carries no change.

You don't need to be in a service business to carry 20s, I'm not either. Instead of using it all "to make purchases" why not save some to use when you purchase the taxi trip, what's the difference? Unless you're just being an arrogant idiot cutting off you nose to spite your face by not trying to make your trip as easy as possible.

Why not change your larger note before you get to your destination? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

If you're in a position to ensure that you have 20s, and it's really not that difficult, and you don't bother because "you're not in a service business" then you really don't have any right to complain. Perhaps the driver gave his last bit of change to the person before you. Are you arrogant enough to think that the previous passenger didn't deserve the change as much as you?

Why not? I do not like to carry a wad of relatively worthless notes and I will invariably leave coins as tips so I don't have to carry it. However, that does not mean I never have small bills or coins, just that I rid myself of them first; and taxis are one way of doing so. Nevertheless, the problem is still the fact a person in a business which needs small change and doesn't carry it. As I said, if I encounter one of those poorly prepared business people, I will find the exact change, for they do not deserve a tip. I still maintain I have the right to complain about their ineptitude.

Take some garbage in an upscale store's bag when you enter a taxi. Leave the bag in the taxi when you reach your destination and tell the driver to wait. If the driver waits, pay him. However, many drivers can't resist driving off with their ill-gotten gains.

Yes, if you don't want even more inconvenience. It just makes sense unless you're an awkward so-and-so with delusions of grandeur.

I am not in a service business; therefore, I do not carry small change. I use all my small change first to make purchases or for tips. So, oh my, what would I do if I did not have correct change for a taxi? Probably get a larger note changed at my destination. So, please do not try to tell me I have no right to complain when a person in a service business carries no change.

You don't need to be in a service business to carry 20s, I'm not either. Instead of using it all "to make purchases" why not save some to use when you purchase the taxi trip, what's the difference? Unless you're just being an arrogant idiot cutting off you nose to spite your face by not trying to make your trip as easy as possible.

Why not change your larger note before you get to your destination? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

If you're in a position to ensure that you have 20s, and it's really not that difficult, and you don't bother because "you're not in a service business" then you really don't have any right to complain. Perhaps the driver gave his last bit of change to the person before you. Are you arrogant enough to think that the previous passenger didn't deserve the change as much as you?

Why not? I do not like to carry a wad of relatively worthless notes and I will invariably leave coins as tips so I don't have to carry it. However, that does not mean I never have small bills or coins, just that I rid myself of them first; and taxis are one way of doing so. Nevertheless, the problem is still the fact a person in a business which needs small change and doesn't carry it. As I said, if I encounter one of those poorly prepared business people, I will find the exact change, for they do not deserve a tip. I still maintain I have the right to complain about their ineptitude.

No-one is suggesting that you carry a "wad" of notes, four 20s and a couple of 100s would solve most complainers problems

"...if I encounter one of those poorly prepared business people, I will find the exact change..."

So you've come to your senses at last and you do carry small change. Well done.

Take some garbage in an upscale store's bag when you enter a taxi. Leave the bag in the taxi when you reach your destination and tell the driver to wait. If the driver waits, pay him. However, many drivers can't resist driving off with their ill-gotten gains.

Now you've just confirmed that there must be something seriously wrong with you, or you're just trolling. I do not believe that you have ever done this and, if you had, that when you reach your destination the driver lets you walk away without paying just so that his integrity can be tested.

What sort of person carries his rubbish around with him and what would you do if, in the unlikely event of you ever trying this, the driver just sat there and waited until you paid him? Carry your rubbish around with you looking for another taxi to wind up?

"...many drivers can't resist driving off with their ill-gotten gains."

Now that is just a nonsensical slur. Very, very few would do that and you know it but, just out of curiosity, how many times has it happened to you?

Yes, if you don't want even more inconvenience. It just makes sense unless you're an awkward so-and-so with delusions of grandeur.
your expectations for customer service must be rather low. I am not suggesting trying to walk around with large bills asking for trouble, but I don't think that I should have I plan out my life to accommodate having change for taxi fare.

The main point is that we have to not inconvenience a person that is working? If he had no change whatsoever at any time would that be acceptable to you? Nowhere is your threshold for inconvenience?

555 this too works wonders ...

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alration. View it anyway?
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alration. View it anyway?

SL

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

Biggest load of nonsense I have read on this forum.. I could go on but would be sanctioned by the staff.

Archived