Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UBER:

Sukhumvit to Mochit in a big SUV for $10 USD, couple clicks on the smart phone, easy as can be

Baht ? 360 ?

Correct, 360 Baht via the highway. Well worth it to me as I prefer to avoid Bangkok Taxis and rely on public transportation. I love using BTS & MRT but did not want to drag my bag up and onto the SKY train at Nana.

I have positive experiences with BKK Taxis drivers maybe 50% of the time. For example; to get from Makkasan station to Sukhumvit is easy but to catch a taxi on the street for the return trip takes some patience. They don't want to go there, don't want to turn the meter on and when you do find a guy to take you, he wont want to make that last couple of turns required to drive into the station. They want to drop you off on the opposite side of the terminal, and have you drag your bags across the gravel no mans land.

The other problem I run into is my fault; being new to Thailand I do not properly pronounce the names of places. I have had drivers basically eject me from their car because they could not understand me.

I love Bangkok!

The only time I had a problem was when I summoned one in advance from by telephone. Royal Orchid Sheraton to BKK. As soon as we got going, a certain distance from hotel the driver turned around with blood red eyes and veins bulging from his forehead hissing, " You YOU PAY 500!" I had specifically told the taxi company this is what I did not want to deal with and to send a driver who would use the meter.

Taxi Passenger robbed, assaulted, girlfriend abducted

A Greater Bangkok taxi driver, along with his friends, yesterday reportedly robbed and assaulted a Myanmar passenger before abducting his two-month-pregnant girlfriend in Pathum Thani's Sam Khok district, police said.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874539-passenger-robbed-assaulted-girlfriend-abducted/

Beaten, robbed, and the 22 yr old GF abducted and later thrown out at a building site.

A taxi driver seen in a viral video slashing a motorcyclist with a knife surrendered himself to police today

Saneh Nam-ngoen, 53, admitted to stabbing Opas Kraisutha during an argument on Rama IX Road on Wednesday, but insisted it was Opas who started the fight by kicking him, for which he plans to file an assault complaint against the stabbed motorcyclist.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874277-taxi-driver-demands-prosecution-of-motorcyclist-he-stabbed/

'knife' in the article, but look at the video in the link and it's some sort of machete.

See my sig, and be careful out there.

I have a thai friend who lives in the USA. Last month he visited Sweden and the day he wanted to leave the hotel to the airport the shuttle bus was down.

He flagged a taxi, drove to the airport in 20 minutes and had to pay 240 us$ to the muslim taxidriver. He couldn't believe it but he paid.

So it's not only happening in BKK, even Stockholm.

The only problem i have with BKK taxi's is that at night the very crappy taxi's come on the road. Many have wornout shocks, broken exhausts or make strange noises and drive slow. One ride the driver stopped along the road and told me he lost his brakes, the pedal didn't work anymore which was true.

Another taxiride in BKK the engine turned off so we had to stop on the road. The driver went under the hood and did something then it worked again and off we go. Then 5 minutes later again the engine turned off, no ploblem and he again went under the hood to fix it. Then i told him to stop at the fuelstation and i changed taxi.

I have a thai friend who lives in the USA. Last month he visited Sweden and the day he wanted to leave the hotel to the airport the shuttle bus was down.

He flagged a taxi, drove to the airport in 20 minutes and had to pay 240 us$ to the muslim taxidriver. He couldn't believe it but he paid.

The only problem i have with BKK taxi's is that at night the very crappy taxi's come on the road. Many have wornout shocks, broken exhausts or make strange noises and drive slow. One ride the driver stopped along the road and told me he lost his brakes, the pedal didn't work anymore which was true.

Another taxiride in BKK the engine turned off so we had to stop on the road. The driver went under the hood and did something then it worked again and off we go. Then 5 minutes later again the engine turned off, no ploblem and he again went under the hood to fix it. Then i told him to stop at the fuelstation and i changed taxi.

If you go to any big city or tourist area worldwide, you will always get the opportunist taxi drivers who want to 'take you for a ride' (pun intended), and charge a much higher fare.

But the OP was not aware that people do,at times, have problems with our wonderful, honest and charming Bangkok taxi drivers !

...the OP was not aware that people do,at times, have problems with our wonderful, honest and charming Bangkok taxi drivers !

You need to read the OP again, what he said was exactly the opposite of what you state, i.e. he is aware that some people have problems, that was the whole point of the OP. But, as he has not posted for a week now, I imagine he's got as bored with this as most others have except for you and Happy Grumpy who's probably feverishly beavering away trying to find more off-topic videos of assaults.

But the OP was not aware that people do,at times, have problems with our wonderful, honest and charming Bangkok taxi drivers !

You either failed to read the OP properly, or you're deliberately misrepresenting it for some reason.

Excuse me just this once if I quote myself -

Whenever the subject of taxis in Bangkok comes up, it seems there are some people who have a great deal of difficulty using them.

Last night a friend was rejected 5 times in a row - He was heading from the Rama IV end of Sukhumvit 22 to Ramintra at about 10pm (Sunday).

Its frustrating and doesn't in anyway do anything else other than add to the general disregard I have for those driving taxi's in Thailand.

I know its unfair - but thats the way it is.

That said: On Saturday night after two rejections I secured an honest and careful driver from Bang Na back into town at 1am.

So in the past week - Two taxi's taken - 7 Rejections.

DLT check in app is bilingual and can be used to report drivers that reject you.

There is a new Crack down and police will monitor places like MBK.

So its a wide spread problem that Thais take serious. Now drivers face suspension.

After reading the article i downloaded the app. Reporting works better as moaning here.

Its a new news article of today. Im on my phone so too lazy to copy the link.

Last night a friend was rejected 5 times in a row - He was heading from the Rama IV end of Sukhumvit 22 to Ramintra at about 10pm (Sunday).

Its frustrating and doesn't in anyway do anything else other than add to the general disregard I have for those driving taxi's in Thailand.

I know its unfair - but thats the way it is.

That said: On Saturday night after two rejections I secured an honest and careful driver from Bang Na back into town at 1am.

So in the past week - Two taxi's taken - 7 Rejections.

Trying to get a taxi to Raminthra can be trying at the best of times. The excuse given normally is because they will come back to town empty, however there are lots of restaurants along kaset nawamin road, full of people wanting to head back in to town, so I think mostly it's just they make more money off the short distance pickup and drops than long distance journeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a weekend in Bangkok.

Taxi to and from the airport were top class, no questions about using the meter, and both journeys in record time.

A few refusals in and around Lower Sukhumvit, but the next one would take you, so no real delay.

Overall, a lot better than previous experiences, but in my opinion, it was also a lot quieter than previous trips.

Sounds like location is a factor here. I've never had a problem getting a taxi from Khao San myself, but then I don't go there all that often. I take them on Sukhumvit all the time without issue, but then I rarely venture much lower down the Sois than 11 or so.

Sure it could be location, but many Thais that I know also got frustrated with taxi's and started driving their own car. Its also a hot topic for Thais so its not a farang exclusive deal. Its a fact that taxi drivers refuse a lot of trips and often don't turn on the meter. Why else do you think the Thai police started checking them. That you don't have a problem with your destination is lucky for you but certainly not the norm.

I don't think I'm just 'lucky', though. I live in Bangkok and use taxis more or less daily. I take them to all sorts of destinations, though, at all times of day, and I hardly ever have a problem. Most people I know here are the same - and many posters on TV say the same thing.

There must be some reason for such a contrast in experiences.

Like I said in the OP, what do you say to the driver? Who are you with? What time?

By and large I am comfortable with taxis in BKK, even more comfortable with taxis in Nonthaburi where I stay.

However, in central Bangkok I often experience problems with getting a taxi, I flag down several, 4-5-6-7 and they refuse to go where I want to go.

Where I flag 'em down; Odeon, Chinatown, Worachak, Pahurat, Ban Moo, along Sukhumvit, Bearing.

Can take time to get one willing to go where I want to go.

Money/overpricing I find a smaller problem, not willing to turn on the meter I don't really care about.

When we are well underway and I remind the driver of the meter and he refuses I just say up to you I will give xx baht,

or we stop now and I give you 00 baht.

I have another problem with cabbies in central BKK. I know central bkk pretty well, know the one way drives, know where to go at what time of the day

to avoid heavy traffic and lengthy red lights, know many shortcuts. Many cabbies have problems taking directions, even though they obviously don't know

BKK very well. That pisses me off a great deal, not because of the satang but because they waste my time driving around like tourists.

This is not something they do to make more money on the meter, they do it because they quite simply don't know inner BKK.'

When they aim at making totally stupid choices I give them the option of Do as I say and I pay the meter, do as you want and I pay <deleted> all.

That normally sobers them up.

Reckless driving. Many complain about that. During all my time in BKK and all my (many many many many) taxi trips I have close to zero problems with that.

I find most cabbies to be fairly alert and safe drivers.

By and large. Happy with cab service in BKK and surroundings.

Taxi fares in Stockholm (and I think in the rest of Sweden) were deregulated years ago. Its a free market.

However, many reputable taxi companies have fixed prices for to/from airport, often visible on the outside of the car.

whistling.gif What I was referring to was a trip I did with a taxi driver from the Northeast of Thailand.

He had a wife and 4 children, all girls.

He was driving a tax iin Bangkok to earn money while his family took care of the farm.

He was a rice farmer, but because of the drought this year (2015) he could not plant his usual 2nd crop.

So he came to Bangkok to stay with his brother-in-law who got him a job driving a taxi in Bangkok

he told me he had to rent the taxi he drove, and pay the owner daily to rent that taxi.

I saw the UBER receiver he had installed in the taxi, and he said it was from the owner of the Taxi who had UBER installed.

He didn't like UBER because he said his owner charged him more for the daily rent if he drove a taxi with UBER installed than a non UBER installed taxi.

All this started because I happened to be going to the Lao Airline office on Silom Road to pick up a ticket for Vientianne, Laos and I told him I was going to Laos. for a visa run.

I just wondered if anyone ever had such a conversation with a taxi driver on a trip through Bangkok traffic.

whistling.gif What I was referring to was a trip I did with a taxi driver from the Northeast of Thailand.

He had a wife and 4 children, all girls.

He was driving a tax iin Bangkok to earn money while his family took care of the farm.

He was a rice farmer, but because of the drought this year (2015) he could not plant his usual 2nd crop.

So he came to Bangkok to stay with his brother-in-law who got him a job driving a taxi in Bangkok

he told me he had to rent the taxi he drove, and pay the owner daily to rent that taxi.

I saw the UBER receiver he had installed in the taxi, and he said it was from the owner of the Taxi who had UBER installed.

He didn't like UBER because he said his owner charged him more for the daily rent if he drove a taxi with UBER installed than a non UBER installed taxi.

All this started because I happened to be going to the Lao Airline office on Silom Road to pick up a ticket for Vientianne, Laos and I told him I was going to Laos. for a visa run.

I just wondered if anyone ever had such a conversation with a taxi driver on a trip through Bangkok traffic.

Having lived in Isaan for over 10 years, I quite often converse with them, as many do originate from this neck of the woods.

Once they realise you have some knowledge of their birthplace, and you are not a two bob tourist, the conversation can flow, making the journey far more pleasant.

Needless to say, they normally get a healthy tip for their pleasantries.

That's a well known and well publicized problem in Sweden. It's up to the cab driver to charge what they want. Not a scam, it's legal. Buyer beware. We got a cab from the hotel to the airport and it was very reasonable. Some $40 or so. It's terrible they allow this to happen, but it's well known....for most!

That's a well known and well publicized problem in Sweden. It's up to the cab driver to charge what they want. Not a scam, it's legal. Buyer beware. We got a cab from the hotel to the airport and it was very reasonable. Some $40 or so. It's terrible they allow this to happen, but it's well known....for most!

I thought Sweden was a well regulated fair country like the rest of N-Europe. I even adviced my friend to claim the hotel for his expensive taxi-ride to the airport. It wasn't his fault the shuttle bus didn't drive that moment.

Well i read many weird story's about Sweden lately, their good name is going down the drain fast lately.

Last week i took a taxi from Swampy and didn't understand how those ticketmachines work. They call them "kiosk" and you have to read a manual how to get a ticket out of them. clap2.gif

Why not make one button on that pole and if you press it you get your ticket?

The taxi i got was fine, the driver even could speak some english.

Thian, I will save you from having to read the manual.

1. Press the touch screen

2. Take the ticket the machine gives out

3. Walk to the taxi bay displaying the same number as on your ticket.

4. Get in taxi and proceed to destination.

Last week at Suvanabhumi the screens were all working (first time ever smile.png) and everyone seemed able to operate them so things were moving along faster than the old handwritten ticket system.

Hard to believe but true.

Last week at Suvanabhumi the screens were all working (first time ever smile.png) and everyone seemed able to operate them so things were moving along faster than the old handwritten ticket system.

Yes they were all working but there was also a person helping the tourists to get a ticket. I wonder though who developed this system and why he had to use the word "kiosk" while it's a machine giggle.gif .

And when he gave me ticket nr #33 i walked to that lot but there was no taxi at all there facepalm.gif . Then i walked back to him and he told me to wait at that lot, then my taxi came and i was lucky it wasn't an old barrel. clap2.gif

But what annoys me more is when i drive motobike in BKK and a person flags a taxi then many taxi's stop on many lanes of the road. They all know that the flagged taxi might refuse that customer and hope they can get the ride. Sometimes 3-4 taxi's stop for 1 flagging customer and they stop Bangkok style, just on the middle of the road, no matter how much traffic is behind them.wai.gif

Yes they were all working but there was also a person helping the tourists to get a ticket. I wonder though who developed this system and why he had to use the word "kiosk" while it's a machine giggle.gif .

And when he gave me ticket nr #33 i walked to that lot but there was no taxi at all there facepalm.gif . Then i walked back to him and he told me to wait at that lot, then my taxi came and i was lucky it wasn't an old barrel. clap2.gif

But what annoys me more is when i drive motobike in BKK and a person flags a taxi then many taxi's stop on many lanes of the road. They all know that the flagged taxi might refuse that customer and hope they can get the ride. Sometimes 3-4 taxi's stop for 1 flagging customer and they stop Bangkok style, just on the middle of the road, no matter how much traffic is behind them.wai.gif

I thought Sweden was a well regulated fair country like the rest of N-Europe. I even adviced my friend to claim the hotel for his expensive taxi-ride to the airport. It wasn't his fault the shuttle bus didn't drive that moment.

Well i read many weird story's about Sweden lately, their good name is going down the drain fast lately.

Last week i took a taxi from Swampy and didn't understand how those ticketmachines work. They call them "kiosk" and you have to read a manual how to get a ticket out of them. clap2.gif

Seriously?

I got a taxi from the airport today. It's a simple touch screen affair with a single button, which features a large picture of a taxi on it. I can't really see how they could have made it even simpler. There's also an attendant there who'll press the button for you.

The mind boggles as to how you found that in any way challenging.

Seriously?

I got a taxi from the airport today. It's a simple touch screen affair with a single button, which features a large picture of a taxi on it. I can't really see how they could have made it even simpler. There's also an attendant there who'll press the button for you.

Well they could have made just one big button with "press here" and then the ticket comes out with your number.

Why do we need a menu and a computer for that and the term "kiosk". Did you see a kiosk at the taxistand??? right.

Well they could have made just one big button with "press here" and then the ticket comes out with your number.

Why do we need a menu and a computer for that and the term "kiosk". Did you see a kiosk at the taxistand??? right.

Perhaps they installed a system that would support future enhancements. It would make sense to enter the number of passengers and amount of luggage. That way a single passenger would be assigned a sedan, and a larger group would be assigned an SUV or minivan.

SL

Seriously?

"Press here" assumes you can read English. The current system with a single button featuring a large picture of a taxi is about as simple as it could possibly be. And even if you can't grasp the concept, there's a friendly employee there to press the button for you and hand you the ticket. How could you possibly get that wrong?

Archived