Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to congratulate those who not only managed to learn Thai to a fluent level, but also did so before arriving here.

The rest of us, though, like me, learned along the way, and thus I'm sure have all had experiences where we were less understood than we are now.

But lets not get diverted by trolling. This is about Taxis, not who can speak the best Thai.

You brought it up as an excuse for the taxi driver to refuse service. biggrin.png You reap what you sow biggrin.png

the old rule is no less valid now.

never get into a taxi that is sitting waiting for a fare. Flag down a moving car, driver is more likely to be honestly in search of a baht rather than waiting to find a mark

Yep I always avoided the ones that were sitting waiting for a fare (at least those in tourist area's). Here in front of the mu bahn they are ok and don't rip people off and are generally good people. My problems were more with those in the center of BKK.

I always save my 20 Baht notes for taxi rides - mainly so I can just hand them the money and be on my way.

That's what I've been suggesting but a couple of posters are much too grand to soil their wallets with 20s. They then complain when they can't get change from the driver who, they assert should carry an unlimited supply because they are service industry peasants.

I think some people really want to provoke issues with taxi drivers just so that they can complain even more.

I always save my 20 Baht notes for taxi rides - mainly so I can just hand them the money and be on my way.

That's what I've been suggesting but a couple of posters are much too grand to soil their wallets with 20s. They then complain when they can't get change from the driver who, they assert should carry an unlimited supply because they are service industry peasants.

I think some people really want to provoke issues with taxi drivers just so that they can complain even more.

Of course you should have some hundreds and twenties in your wallet, taxi drivers don't make huge amounts of money and to expect someone like that to keep a huge amount of change (in comparison to the fare) is crazy. No need to make it extra hard for them.

You don't need to be in a service business to carry 20s, I'm not either. Instead of using it all "to make purchases" why not save some to use when you purchase the taxi trip, what's the difference? Unless you're just being an arrogant idiot cutting off you nose to spite your face by not trying to make your trip as easy as possible.

Why not change your larger note before you get to your destination? That wouldn't make sense, would it?

If you're in a position to ensure that you have 20s, and it's really not that difficult, and you don't bother because "you're not in a service business" then you really don't have any right to complain. Perhaps the driver gave his last bit of change to the person before you. Are you arrogant enough to think that the previous passenger didn't deserve the change as much as you?

You get up, need cash, go the ATM. Notes dispensed are large denominations.

Hail a taxi to take you to your destination, how is it your fault for having only a 1,000 baht note ?

I'm sorry, but anyone in a service industry should make sure they are in a position to tender the correct change.

Cash is dispensed in 100s, 500s or 1000s. Only an belligerent idiot would withdraw 1000s in full knowledge that he was about to get a taxi. Get some 100s, that's not difficult is it? Then buy something for a few baht and you have 20s. Easy

Well it's certainly not the taxi drivers fault that you've only got a 1000, in fact, it is only your fault.

So taxi drivers should carry unlimited amounts of small change just to save you the effort of doing it? And if every passenger has your arrogant attitude how does the taxi driver avoid accumulating a stack of 1000s and exhausting his supply of small change? I suppose he'd have to go to all the trouble of doing something that is so below you and buy something with one of those 1000s in one of the shops that you see so infrequently in Bangkok.

All this pathetic defense of the minority of incompetent, ignorant taxi drivers.

The point is not, why I don't stuff my wallet with 20 baht notes, not, why I don't withdraw from ATMs with 100 baht notes, but WHY should it be my responsibility ?

It's simple, easy, and makes taking taxis a lot less hassle. Why wouldn't you do it?

The rest of us are already at our destination while you're still stuck at the side of the road somewhere, making your stand about 'responsibility'.

I didn't say it is not true. My point was that the problems are a small minority and not the majority of taxi drivers and those that say it is the majority are being ridiculous. For example, somewhere on this thread is a post from someone claiming that out of himself and 50 other Australian friends not one has ever found a taxi that didn't give every single one of those 51 a problem.

Your last point only emphasises that to accept a taxi off the meter is probably asking for trouble, just wait for the one that will take you without issues

So the bad reputation is undeserved?

In my last example, it was not a meter taxi.

I have also had issues with a Bangkok Taxi driver, who managed to get lost, then insisted we get out of the taxi and he abandoned us also unsure where we were. I have had refusal of meter numerous times. Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok. After standing and waiting, at a taxi rank, it is not how it is meant to work. The compliance to obligation to accept the fare should be 100%, rather than interrogation, and then being jumped by someone prepared to go off meter, while I have to wait, is unacceptable.

I believe if one tries to get a taxi in particular areas, the incidence of problems will be higher than in other areas.

I didn't say it was undeserved, what I do say is that the reputation is not as bad as some Thaivisa posters would like everyone to believe.

This is a thread about metered taxis so why quote your friend's experience in a non-metered taxi as an example? Meters in taxis have been required by law in Bangkok for more than 20 years (except for those still on the road that were originally registered without them) so any non-metered taxis in Bangkok must be very old and they are a rare sight these days so it's interesting that your friend was able to find one, never mind choose to get in one.

Since when has Bangkok been "smoggy"? Every time you cite something that is clearly incorrect the credibility of your posts diminish.

All this pathetic defense of the minority of incompetent, ignorant taxi drivers.

The point is not, why I don't stuff my wallet with 20 baht notes, not, why I don't withdraw from ATMs with 100 baht notes, but WHY should it be my responsibility ?

It's simple, easy, and makes taking taxis a lot less hassle. Why wouldn't you do it?

The rest of us are already at our destination while you're still stuck at the side of the road somewhere, making your stand about 'responsibility'.

Sometimes I've got in a taxi, we're on our way and I realize... Oh bugger... I've only a 1000 baht note... It happens.

I don't wait until I get to my destination, I tell my Taxi driver I don't have change and ask him if has.

If he hasn't I stop off at 7-11 and buy something. If he has, good, he gets a tip !

But I know one thing for sure.. If I arrive at my destination without change I'll get the 'No hab' (change) game...

When trying to pay with a 100 baht note I still get the 'No hab' game... its happened on a couple of occasions that even if I've seen that the driver has change (in his brest pocket) the driver has still tried it on. We know the game. I don't aways remember to fill my wallet with 20 baht notes, its one of the things I try to remember without it taking over my life !...

When I used to live in Songkha I would get a taxi back from Hat Yai... The taxi's there were always an old Toyota Crown or something similar with carpet on the dash (as sun protection I guess)... I'd pay the agreed 150 baht for the taxi, but if I only had a 500 baht note or 2 x100 baht notes the drivers eyes would light up.. "hoorrrr... no Hab !"... So I'd lift up the carpet on the dash to find plenty of cash... I managed to do that a few times, it always ended with a laugh from the taxi driver, he knew the game and then knew that I knew too...

The No Hab change game is a very common one... Too common in fact... I'm sure many actually do have change and are just trying it on !

It sounds as though you're trying to claim that the majority of taxi drivers have no problem in changing your 1000s. That is just sheer nonsense.

Why should it be your responsibility to do something the vast majority of people see as being reasonable and not that much effort? Well, if you really can't work it out by now no amount of further explanation will ever help you understand it. Enjoy your pathetic, incompetent, ignorant self-imposed antagonism with those taxi drivers who have the undoubted pleasure of chauffeuring you and you 1000s around.

whistling.gif Let me just turn this topic around for a few seconds.

My question is, "Have you ever talked with a taxi driver?

I have, even though my Thai is limited to numbers and their English may be limited also.

If you can find one to talk it might surprise you what they have to say about many of their passengers and why they dislike some of them.

Listen, and you might just learn something.

Assuming you are capable of learning, of course.

I have, even though my Thai is limited to numbers and their English may be limited also.

If you can find one to talk it might surprise you what they have to say about many of their passengers and why they dislike some of them.

I mostly just seem to end up talking about the traffic. Sounds interesting, though - what have you learned from them?

Thats a rather grand assumption!

Look at the last few pages for example. Lots of telling and advice and bolstering of egos,

who can speak Thai, who has the smarts. On and on

This is typical reason the few of us who can actually listen, learn, observe, generally avoid the "loud tribe" who love giving you an hour long culture lesson before they even know you, your experience or length of time here.

I mostly just seem to end up talking about the traffic. Sounds interesting, though - what have you learned from them?

Yes... I've had some good conversations with Taxi drivers... Some interesting political insight and discussions, othertimes just simple topics, cars, football, farming, kids, life, family etc...

I don't think anyone would argue that there are not many good taxi drivers out there... It seems many have agreed with the figure that 90% of Taxi drivers are generally polite and good drivers.

Its the 10% of a-holes I don't want to talk with, the scummy ones that ask personal information, those who ask about your wife in an invasive way and joke about boom boom... its these same guys who open their door at a traffic light and hackup a lung, their cabs are usually damaged, clunking, smelly etc...

So yes, turn this topic around - I'm sure everyone will agree... Some Taxi drivers are lovely, infact most of them are. Its a shitty job and I'm sure some customers are complete morons...

I was in the service business for 10 years here. 1st job every morning was a walk to the bank if I needed to top up on small denomination notes and coins, always have the correct change for every customer.

Not really rocket science is it ?

Took a taxi from home to Don Muang. What did i learn, that the taxi driver was shocked by the attack in France. How much things have changed in Thailand. That he had not seen my ex in a while and wondered why and many other thins. It was nice to practice my Thai with him. I certainly don't have a problem with all drivers but mainly with those in the center of BKK and tourist areas.

I hailed 2 cabs without any trouble in front of the village. 1 for me and one for the parents. Location and destination come in play but i almost never get refused where i live.

Staggering

If you were in the service industry yourself, why not apply the logic you worked by to make your personal day to day dealings hassle free?

I am no business owner but before i go on a big market shop i will buy several small items at various places, with 1000 notes.

If in food court, buying tickets, big c, always change a big note.

It saves you having to wait for the small stall owners having to scurry around amongst each other changing money.

Your right, its not rocket science.

Regardless of if the taxi is taking the piss or not, you can make a few (pretty simple) steps to ensure the bypassing of any possible stress and hassle happening around you.

How anyone can argue the point over such a small seemingly logical solution is beyond me, but carry on!

Staggering

If you were in the service industry yourself, why not apply the logic you worked by to make your personal day to day dealings hassle free?

I am no business owner but before i go on a big market shop i will buy several small items at various places, with 1000 notes.

If in food court, buying tickets, big c, always change a big note.

It saves you having to wait for the small stall owners having to scurry around amongst each other changing money.

Your right, its not rocket science.

Regardless of if the taxi is taking the piss or not, you can make a few (pretty simple) steps to ensure the bypassing of any possible stress and hassle happening around you.

How anyone can argue the point over such a small seemingly logical solution is beyond me, but carry on!

Hardly staggering !

Before I say anymore, I do have change. I am going for a few scoops tonight and I will be in a position to tender the correct money for the bill, plus, of course, a tip.

But I view it from both sides of the coin, the business owner and the customer.

When I go to pay my bill, the owner (Thai, but lived abroad for some years), has no dramas with what note value(s) I hand over to pay my bill. He is prepared, and can give me my correct change without any hums and haws or rushing to 7eleven to breakdown a large note.

This is not even 'thinking outside of the box', it is BASIC business logic.

I'd call not trying to pay for something cheap with a banknote that amounts to half some local's weekly income 'basic logic'.

'Trying' being the operative word.

Nobody is suggesting that one would give a large note out of devilment, but in some, albeit a small number of cases,it might be difficult to offer an alternative

I'd call not trying to pay for something cheap with a banknote that amounts to half some local's weekly income 'basic logic'.

'Trying' being the operative word.

Nobody is suggesting that one would give a large note out of devilment, but in some, albeit a small number of cases,it might be difficult to offer an alternative

Have you considered that it might be easier for you to offer an alternative that it is for a guy who might begin the day with only a small amount of spare cash and then spend the rest of it sat in traffic to lay his hands on large quantities of change?

This is all rather pointless, though. The reality of it is that, no matter what you think should happen in principle, in practice its much easier to make sure you have a few small bills on you.

I was in the service business for 10 years here. 1st job every morning was a walk to the bank if I needed to top up on small denomination notes and coins, always have the correct change for every customer.

Your average Bangkok taxi driver is not going to carry thousands in hundred baht bills in his cab to give out as change. Do you think the average driver in a place like New York carries a thousand dollars in small bills? Most Bangkok drivers would be lucky to get even 5000 baht in a days driving, so starting off the day holding thousands in change is not practical or wise from a safety point of view. It's one thing for a high turnover 7/11 to have thousands in change but they have better security than a lone taxi driver.

For anyone just off the plane and straight in to a cab, then if you need to travel on a toll road, hand over a thousand baht bill at the toll booth, never a problem getting some smaller bills right there.

Your average Bangkok taxi driver is not going to carry thousands in hundred baht bills in his cab to give out as change. Do you think the average driver in a place like New York carries a thousand dollars in small bills? Most Bangkok drivers would be lucky to get even 5000 baht in a days driving, so starting off the day holding thousands in change is not practical or wise from a safety point of view. It's one thing for a high turnover 7/11 to have thousands in change but they have better security than a lone taxi driver.

For anyone just off the plane and straight in to a cab, then if you need to travel on a toll road, hand over a thousand baht bill at the toll booth, never a problem getting some smaller bills right there.

I usually just grab a drink at the 7-11 at the airport. I'm always thirsty after a flight anyway.

The small bank note assertion is a argumentative canard. The claim of no change is a typical ploy in Thailand. You will get it practically anywhere (besides cash register businesses) where you have to pay cash, no matter the amounts involved. You know - the hopeless child like look? Funny how in a cash based society like Thailand no one seems to have any cash. rolleyes.gif

The I am going to clip you whenever possible philosophy is small thinking and a backward social norm. I will say thought that Thailand is no way as bad as mainland China in that regard.

SL

Your average Bangkok taxi driver is not going to carry thousands in hundred baht bills in his cab to give out as change. Do you think the average driver in a place like New York carries a thousand dollars in small bills?

Taxi's in NYC take credit cards. Wow - there is a thought!

Your toll booth strategy is a good one, except I have had issues with the taxi driver even returning the change to me. Like I am going to forget about it somehow by the end of the trip? Or have to negotiate the returned amount at the end of the trip? Silly, silly, silly.

SunLover

On the few occasions I've had a driver refuse to take me, I assumed it was because of my poor language skills

Perhaps if you learned the language, you would have a far better understanding of Thailand, Thai culture, Thai attitudes, and Thai behavior. smile.png

You see this time and time again HG.

Westerner moves over, even lives here, fails to learn the language to the point where they cannot even communicate about where they want to go to. Despite that these are likely regular places for them to go.

It's little wonder they are so clueless about Thailand and Thais. sad.png

Absolutely true.

Those with a poor language ability are almost always the ones that are clueless about what is actually going on around them.

And yes, you do see it time and time again, so the OP isn't alone.

As for a service provider keeping a float - say 1,000 baht in change, it's just basic common sense and good service.

So yes, it isn't common for Thai service providers to keep one.

:)

Archived