Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why someone who's put the OP on ignore would even come back to check the thread, much less have an opinion on whether it has 'run it's course'.

Have to agree....its a valuable thread when the angry people let the topic be discussed.

If only threads were about the Original Poster and satisfying their selfish needs.

We call those who "agree" unwittingly, "yes men".

Please find somewhere else to bore people. If you want to discuss the topic please feel free to do so but your constant attacking of posters is just making you look a tad silly.

Took a baht bus yesterday in pattaya when I dropped off my motorcycle to get washed. Paid the car wash place and didn't remember that I needed 10 baht for the fare on the baht bus. Got to my destination and only had 500 baht note. Apologized to the lady and she dug out 480 baht change from her purse. She was very friendly and polite so I gave her an extra 20. Ended up paying 4x the fare but I was happy.

My complaint about Bangkok taxis is that when you need them the most, they will either overcharge or refuse to take you.

Examples: 1am and public transit is closed, or it's pouring rain, or it's extremely busy.

There was once when I had a late dinner (near midnight) at a Lebanese restaurant on Soi 3. There wasn't a single taxi that would take me anywhere.

Another time, a taxi driver claimed that he didn't have change for a 100-baht bill. (When a taxi driver claims to have no change, I make sure to pay them their exact fare down to the baht.)

My previous post on the topic:

One time I was trying to catch a cab at the Ban Thab Chang Airport Link station - every single taxi (with the "Free" light lit) passed me by without even stopping. It must have been 7-8 taxis over the span of 20-30 minutes. Eventually I whipped out the camera phone to film myself requesting a free taxi - only then did one finally stop.

Had some other "great" experiences - the guy who had an upset stomach and dropped me off in the middle of nowhere (collecting the fare of course), and another taxi driver who stopped the car and went to the restroom for 10 minutes while the taxi and meter were running.

Anyone who has stayed in the area can probably go on and on about the taxi drivers here:

• not being able to read maps
  • taking you to the wrong place or a place that is convenient to them
  • trying to take you to places that give them a commission (hint: never ask a taxi driver for advice on where to go for anything)
  • negotiating an "off-meter" price during rush hour
  • choosing extremely poor routes
  • not having a meter
  • resetting the meter when having to stop and drop someone off on the way to get a new flag fall fare
  • driving like a maniac
  • etc

Overall, though, I've been reasonably satisfied with the taxis here. It's much preferable to being in the countryside where they completely rip you off.

That's nice. But this is about taxis in Bangkok.

are you a moderator now too? You have the right attitude.

It's relevant to the discussion about taxi drivers having change. Even more so because baht busses have other passengers so you can't just stop at a 7-11 on the way. And the ratio of the fare relative to the change due was 49-1.

I don't even really know what a baht bus is. Some pattaya thing? Not really relevant in the Bangkok forum, is it.

a Bus is a Bus . And the journey is paid for by the country's currency namely "baht". Some unsmart posters seem to like to add the term "baht"

I don't even really know what a baht bus is. Some pattaya thing? Not really relevant in the Bangkok forum, is it.

Hours and hours everyday on TV, claims to know almost everything there is to know about the place, but does not 'even really know what a baht bus is'.

Another quality post from Mr Perfect again.

a Bus is a Bus . And the journey is paid for by the country's currency namely "baht". Some unsmart posters seem to like to add the term "baht"

Bangkok has thousands of songtaew, (baht bus) 7-10 baht, they generally charge more after 9PM

Once asked a Thai person, how to get from Immigration (not the Chang Wattana one but the other small immigration in the outskirts of Bangkok) to central Bangkok. He pointed to the bus stop across the road said "Bhat bus" also said which number bus to take.

I have not seen any pick-up truck, double-cab type bhat bus in bangkok. But then haven't ventured outside central Bangkok much. Difficult to judge from the one experience, but would hazard a guess that locals called the big buses "bhat bus". So, foreigners also started calling it "bhat bus".

Don't think anyone is trying outfox the other in using "bhat bus". If you pay at the destination I would assume its a double-cab, pick-up truck type, or truck bus, as supposed to the other kind of bus you see in other parts of the world or central bangkok (where a conductor collects the fare when you get on the bus).

edit: There have been sightings of Songthaews in Bangkok.

Hours and hours everyday on TV, claims to know almost everything there is to know about the place, but does not 'even really know what a baht bus is'.

Another quality post from Mr Perfect again.

Because a Songthaew is not a bus! Many actual Buses costing 7-10 baht or even 6 baht or no baht.

The "actual buses" have always charged me the 7-10 bhat (for short journey as its central bangkok) or over 10 bhat (for longer journey depending on length of journey). Over 9 bhat for AC buses.

Does it really matter? as long as you know a bhat bus is a Songthaew, and you don't pay a higher Songthaew fare on an Actual bus.

edit: if someone calls an actual bus a bhat bus, they are simply incorrect.

Take some garbage in an upscale store's bag when you enter a taxi. Leave the bag in the taxi when you reach your destination and tell the driver to wait. If the driver waits, pay him. However, many drivers can't resist driving off with their ill-gotten gains.

Now you've just confirmed that there must be something seriously wrong with you, or you're just trolling. I do not believe that you have ever done this and, if you had, that when you reach your destination the driver lets you walk away without paying just so that his integrity can be tested.

What sort of person carries his rubbish around with him and what would you do if, in the unlikely event of you ever trying this, the driver just sat there and waited until you paid him? Carry your rubbish around with you looking for another taxi to wind up?

"...many drivers can't resist driving off with their ill-gotten gains."

Now that is just a nonsensical slur. Very, very few would do that and you know it but, just out of curiosity, how many times has it happened to you?

Gee, Alration, didn't read this until now. I am so happy you have decided my nature. Last month I took a Phuket tuk-tuk and played the game. The guy drove off as soon as I was inside the building. Not sure how many times, started it in Saigon many years ago.

So anyway, to bring things back to actual taxis in Bangkok - has anyone used one of those 'All Thai Taxi' ones yet? I'm increasingly seeing them around, but I haven't flagged one down yet, and I'm unable to use their app. They make some big claims about customer service.

So anyway, to bring things back to actual taxis in Bangkok - has anyone used one of those 'All Thai Taxi' ones yet? I'm increasingly seeing them around, but I haven't flagged one down yet, and I'm unable to use their app. They make some big claims about customer service.

I've posted on this previously having used them twice so far from the Onnut Road area to Sukhumvit 13-ish and you get exactly what it says on the can. Tell them your destination and they take you, no umm-ing or ahh-ing and the same price as other taxis.

Can't comment on whether they carry thousands of baht in small change though as I had a couple of 20s and some 100s.

555 this too works wonders ...

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alration. View it anyway?
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by Alration. View it anyway?

SL

You flatter yourself by thinking that your ignoring anyone is of any consequence. I've been ignored by much better people than you, believe me.

So the bad reputation is undeserved?

In my last example, it was not a meter taxi.

I have also had issues with a Bangkok Taxi driver, who managed to get lost, then insisted we get out of the taxi and he abandoned us also unsure where we were. I have had refusal of meter numerous times. Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok. After standing and waiting, at a taxi rank, it is not how it is meant to work. The compliance to obligation to accept the fare should be 100%, rather than interrogation, and then being jumped by someone prepared to go off meter, while I have to wait, is unacceptable.

I believe if one tries to get a taxi in particular areas, the incidence of problems will be higher than in other areas.

"Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok."

Wonder if you've read this yet about dirty, smoggy Bangkok..."research from Airport Parking and Hotels published by Nature discovered Bangkok has the lowest amount of air pollution of 28 cities in 19 surveyed popular holiday countries and received a score of “good,” writes Andrew Batt in Dot Property" (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/873254-air-in-bangkok-least-polluted-among-worlds-global-cities/?p=10115159).

So the bad reputation is undeserved?

In my last example, it was not a meter taxi.

I have also had issues with a Bangkok Taxi driver, who managed to get lost, then insisted we get out of the taxi and he abandoned us also unsure where we were. I have had refusal of meter numerous times. Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok. After standing and waiting, at a taxi rank, it is not how it is meant to work. The compliance to obligation to accept the fare should be 100%, rather than interrogation, and then being jumped by someone prepared to go off meter, while I have to wait, is unacceptable.

I believe if one tries to get a taxi in particular areas, the incidence of problems will be higher than in other areas.

"Having to hunt around for another is not the idea of meter taxis, particularly in dirty, smoggy and hot Bangkok."

Wonder if you've read this yet about dirty, smoggy Bangkok..."research from Airport Parking and Hotels published by Nature discovered Bangkok has the lowest amount of air pollution of 28 cities in 19 surveyed popular holiday countries and received a score of “good,” writes Andrew Batt in Dot Property" (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/873254-air-in-bangkok-least-polluted-among-worlds-global-cities/?p=10115159).

I guess that guy never got behind a few trucks!

Archived