Thai wife has to register falang husband's whereabouts?

Couple questions relating to this TM30,

1/ as I'm returning to wife's home in thailand from offshore work (8 weeks on 4 off rota), should My wife therefore be required to complete the form each time I return?

2/ nearest immigration office is over 40km away, can these forms be sent electronically, posted or handed in to the local police office, since it was the police station where I completed a form (don't remember the form ID number) notifying change of address when we moved to this area couple years back?

The TM30 is only for business not private (husband in house of Thai wife).

You can read the exact rule here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

If you come to Thailand and report your homeadress with your wife everything is done!!!

If they want to charge you, DON'T PAY!!! Tell they they can bring you to court because the rule is just for business and you reported your address already to the immigration when come to Thailand, also with 90 day reports, annual visa extension!!!

• Like 1

You can read the exact rule here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

If you come to Thailand and report your homeadress with your wife everything is done!!!

If they want to charge you, DON'T PAY!!! Tell they they can bring you to court because the rule is just for business and you reported your address already to the immigration when come to Thailand, also with 90 day reports, annual visa extension!!!

Well!.......................

Roger me with a fish fork.....

I have read that MFA page a dozen times and tonight is the first time I saw the specific heading of "Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses".

Thanks snowgard.

Very bad advice which is best ignored

Which ?

The first part, which the link suggests is correct - or the second part ?

Why? They try to charge the wifes and they can ignore it and wait for a court rule. But this the Thai wives would win because the immigration have the address already and this rule is for business only!!! It not bring problem to a farang!!!

I believe they are searching for a new way of income because not so much farangs are coming to Thailand.

And FARANGS have rights too!!! If you not like what the immigration rules you can give it to a court for ruling!!! But the most farangs not want to have problems!!! :-)

Edited by snowgard

Why? They try to charge the wifes and they can ignore it and wait for a court rule. But this the Thai wives would win because the immigration have the address already and this rule is for business only!!! It not bring problem to a farang!!!

It is not for business only. Don't always rely upon a website wording as being accurate, read the actual law. Here is the article, Section 38 1979 Immigration Act and it does not state businesses only. As already said, bad advice.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that house, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

• Like 2

It is not for business only. Don't always rely upon a website wording as being accurate, read the actual law. Here is the article, Section 38 1979 Immigration Act and it does not state businesses only. As already said, bad advice.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

Thank you for that clarification - still, you would think you could rely on an MFA website ????????

Right, but on the immigration link what I showed they wrote that THIS IS FOR BUSINESS!!! So Thai wifes can refuse to pay it because it's the immigration self who inform the public that this is only for business!!! Or they wrote somewhere private family/wife, or something else? NO!!!

What is with the Farangs who own appartements or houses? They reported their address already to the Immigration when they arrived in Thailand!!!

And in FACT the wife must report it again (you reported it yourself at arrival), the Immigration must tell it exactly on their website. In the moment it is: "Only for business!!!" and the wifes can refuse to pay!!!

Edited by snowgard

Right, but on the immigration link what I showed they wrote that THIS IS FOR BUSINESS!!! So Thai wifes can refuse to pay it because it's the immigration self who inform the public that this is only for business!!! Or they wrote somewhere private family/wife, or something else? NO!!!

What is with the Farangs who own appartements or houses? They reported their address already to the Immigration when they arrived in Thailand!!!

And in FACT the wife must report it again (you reported it yourself at arrival), the Immigration must tell it exactly on their website. In the moment it is: "Only for business!!!" and the wifes can refuse to pay!!!

That Immigration page is explaining the procedure for Thai business's (hotels, guest house) only.

The Immigration Act, Section 38, covers the requirements and responsibility for all foreigners to be reported by the hotel, guest house manager, house master, possessor or occupier of any property to report an alien residing at any given property.

Hotels, guesthouses (business's) accommodate millions of foreigners annually (Tourists) and are by far the largest suppliers of accommodation to foreigners.

Their procedure is slightly different to that of a foreigner taking residence in the private housing market, because registered business's have the facility to complete the TM30 form online, something a private landlord, tenant or occupier cannot do.

It is merely a separate page aimed at the business's that operate throughout Thailand, it does not mean it excludes the private sector of housing, nor that is only for foreigners with a business.

The Immigration website only gives procedures and guidance.

I suggest you read Section 37, 38 and 4 of the Immigration Act to understand the law on reporting of an aliens address.

Section 37 deals with the responsibility of the foreigner to report his address, or change of address.

Section 38 deals with the responsibility of the house master, owner or occupier of the residence to report the foreigner at that given address (TM30)

Section 4 defines house master, i.e. who is responsible for filing the TM30.

So yes, a foreigner must report his address, and the house master responsible for the property must also report the foreigners address.

In certain cases this will be the same person, the foreigner.

It may not always be a Thai who completes this form.

Many foreigners own their own house or Condo.

Sometimes a landlord may live overseas.

That's why section 4 defines the house master (the person responsible to report an alien staying at a residence) as the owner, chief possessor or tenant.

It's a double check on the address you report.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

Thank you for that clarification - still, you would think you could rely on an MFA website ????????

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has absolutely nothing to do with the immigration requirement of notifying the arrival of a foreigner at a hotel or residence.

Tywais, on 27 Nov 2015 - 22:18, said:

snowgard, on 27 Nov 2015 - 22:11, said:

Section 38 : The house master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that house, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

What do I do now that my wife has run off with another farang. I asked immigration the other day and they said my wife had to report address with me. I still live in her house that I paid for. Cheers

Section 38 : The house master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that house, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified. In case the house, dwelling place, or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1 is located within the Bangkok area, such notification must be reported to the competent official at the Immigration Division.

Immigration Act .pdf

What do I do now that my wife has run off with another farang. I asked immigration the other day and they said my wife had to report address with me. I still live in her house that I paid for. Cheers

What were you doing at immigration that they wanted the report for?

If an extension based upon marriage she would have to there anyway.

Immigration Act .pdf

I was getting a re-entry permit because I desperately need a break and wanted to check about notifying my address when I come back.

I was getting a re-entry permit because I desperately need a break and wanted to check about notifying my address when I come back.

Did you get your re-entry permit?

Whether you have to do the report when you return depends upon the immigration office you have to use. Only a few offices are asking for it.

I would not worry about unless you need to do something at immigration that would require it (extension of stay application).

• Like 1

ubonjoe, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:27, said:
sammycic, on 29 Nov 2015 - 08:57, said:
ubonjoe, on 29 Nov 2015 - 08:39, said:
sammycic, on 29 Nov 2015 - 07:47, said:

Whether you have to do the report when you return depends upon the immigration office you have to use. Only a few offices are asking for it.

I would not worry about unless you need to do something at immigration that would require it (extension of stay application).

Yes and the office I use definitely requires it as I have already been stung by it and only went to Bangkok o/nite.

ubonjoe, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:27, said:

Yes and the office I use definitely requires it as I have already been stung by it and only went to Bangkok o/nite.

Since you have not left the country yet you don't have to worry about it for now.

You might find asking about it will be different from doing it. I think if you went in with the TM30 completed by your wife with copies of her house book and ID card they would probably accept it or perhaps you could give a good excuse for her not being with you.

By accident i read this forum. It is about informing immigration when somebody lives in. The owner or the one who is master of the house has to repoprt him or her. AND, now it comes, if not HEAVY FINES.

I read in the tambien baan of my wife: on one of the first pages: Important document

this document........................

the head of the house is obliged ............................ and to follow the law as follows:

section 1 if birth occurs ......................

section 2 if death occurs

section 3 (NOW IT COMES!!!) if a person movers out of or into the premises, the head-of-the-Household must register the change of adress within 15 days of the move mate

Penalties

-any person who fails to comply with sections 1-3 shall be liable to a fine not exeding 1.000 Baht.

- any persoin ..............................

in the event that the offender in paragraph 1 is not of Thai nationality, he shall be liableto imprisonment for a term of6 months to 5 yeras and a fine of 20.000 to 200.000 Baht.

The tanbien baan is dated : 2013 !!

By accident i read this forum. It is about informing immigration when somebody lives in. The owner or the one who is master of the house has to repoprt him or her. AND, now it comes, if not HEAVY FINES.

I read in the tambien baan of my wife: on one of the first pages: Important document

this document........................

the head of the house is obliged ............................ and to follow the law as follows:

section 1 if birth occurs ......................

section 2 if death occurs

section 3 (NOW IT COMES!!!) if a person movers out of or into the premises, the head-of-the-Household must register the change of adress within 15 days of the move mate

Penalties

-any person who fails to comply with sections 1-3 shall be liable to a fine not exeding 1.000 Baht.

- any persoin ..............................

in the event that the offender in paragraph 1 is not of Thai nationality, he shall be liableto imprisonment for a term of6 months to 5 yeras and a fine of 20.000 to 200.000 Baht.

The tanbien baan is dated : 2013 !!

What is shown on a tambien baan has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this topic.

The penalties for the reporting being discussed is in the immigration act.

"Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht to 10,000 Baht."

There seems to be somebody misinterpreting section 38 of the immigration act. The TM30 report is only needed once when the alien moves into the residence.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

There is certainly no requirement to report every time they leave the residence for more than 24 hours. I think there is misunderstanding or perhaps misinformation about what immigration is asking for.

ubonjoe,

Thanks as always for your explanations and advice.

I have PR (many years) and I live with my adult Thai son, the chanut is in his name.

Although we are all family members it seems that my son should submit this form.

But does it also apply to PR holders?

Can you please advise. Thanks.

If you have PR there are no reporting requirements for you other than the one every 5 years.

Thanks.

If you have PR there are no reporting requirements for you other than the one every 5 years.

I have a PR for the past 13 years.

However, is states (in the Red Book, issued by the Police) that if I am not at my given address within 15 days I must report my new address to the nearest (not exact but, it means the same) Police Station .

Win wai.gif

The best approach is just have a look at the definitions in the beginning section. then read section 38.

The text on the form provided is clear on

Tm 30 and tm 28 and what it purpose is.

Keep in mind that the asnwers, advises and suggestions on this forum are interpretation by others who do have nothing to do with the country or do have the authority to say what is correct.

Based on the stoies the use of the forms is needed as describt.

The sugeestion I can nake is go to the immigration and get a letter signed by the authorities that explains how to do and what us the right way.

I am unware of thee is a reprenetatuon for cases like this and how to contact.

have a look at TM28 and TM30

you see there is nothing new.

tm30 - alian stay by business

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

TM28 - report done by Alian Schange or stay or over 24 hrs in new Province

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm28.doc

this and other document you can find:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

So what your saying Autonuaq, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that if I go to another province for 1 week, and stay at a hotel, then the hotel must submit the TM30, but that I also have to submit a TM28. Doesn't sound right to me. It's definitely duplication of process. No wonder we are all so confused. I still don't know whether my Thai partner ( apartment lease is in her name) has to submit a report every time I return from a trip within Thailand. Ubonjoe, you seem to make the most sense out of all this confusion, please advise.

The only time a TM28 is used is to report a change of address. Immigration does not enforce the staying more than 24 hours in another province part of it. They know it would be impossible to enforce it in this day and age.

The TM30 reporting is done by hotels and etc plus home owners, heads of household and possessors of a residence.

Hi Ubon Joe,

I see at the top of TM28, the heading is: “Form for aliens to notify their change of address or their stay in the province for over 24 hours”

I notice you said the only time TM28 is used is for a change of address. I note you said Immigration doesn't enforce the staying of more than 24 hours in another province. Is that because they assume the housemaster should be doing that with a TM30?

Couldn't TM28 be regarded as also just to notify someone has moved into an address though? Effectively the ferang reporting he's staying somewhere, instead of the housemaster using TM30 to do the same job?

I'm querying that, as when we went away from home for a couple of days, we stayed at a small hotel which didn't bother to check passport details for any registering.

In the past I didn't bother about registering when I moved into the house (apart from 90 day registration of course).

However, when we came back, I thought that as there's now so much Immigration interest in TM28/30, I registered myself using TM28.

The IO looked a little surprised that anyone would be volunteering any info (Udon Immigration), but accepted the TM28. She stapled the TM28 receipt into my passport, and also updated my 90 day registration to start again from that date.

ubonjoe, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:46, said:ubonjoe, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:46, said:
sammycic, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:31, said:sammycic, on 29 Nov 2015 - 09:31, said:

You might find asking about it will be different from doing it. I think if you went in with the TM30 completed by your wife with copies of her house book and ID card they would probably accept it or perhaps you could give a good excuse for her not being with you.

That will be my approach when I come back and play it by ear from there. No worries for an excuse that's for sure.

Edited by sammycic

So what your saying Autonuaq, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that if I go to another province for 1 week, and stay at a hotel, then the hotel must submit the TM30, but that I also have to submit a TM28. Doesn't sound right to me. It's definitely duplication of process. No wonder we are all so confused. I still don't know whether my Thai partner ( apartment lease is in her name) has to submit a report every time I return from a trip within Thailand. Ubonjoe, you seem to make the most sense out of all this confusion, please advise.

The only time a TM28 is used is to report a change of address. Immigration does not enforce the staying more than 24 hours in another province part of it. They know it would be impossible to enforce it in this day and age.

The TM30 reporting is done by hotels and etc plus home owners, heads of household and possessors of a residence.

Hi Ubon Joe,

I see at the top of TM28, the heading is: “Form for aliens to notify their change of address or their stay in the province for over 24 hours”

I notice you said the only time TM28 is used is for a change of address. I note you said Immigration doesn't enforce the staying of more than 24 hours in another province. Is that because they assume the housemaster should be doing that with a TM30?

Couldn't TM28 be regarded as also just to notify someone has moved into an address though? Effectively the ferang reporting he's staying somewhere, instead of the housemaster using TM30 to do the same job?

I'm querying that, as when we went away from home for a couple of days, we stayed at a small hotel which didn't bother to check passport details for any registering.

In the past I didn't bother about registering when I moved into the house (apart from 90 day registration of course).

However, when we came back, I thought that as there's now so much Immigration interest in TM28/30, I registered myself using TM28.

The IO looked a little surprised that anyone would be volunteering any info (Udon Immigration), but accepted the TM28. She stapled the TM28 receipt into my passport, and also updated my 90 day registration to start again from that date.

There have been no reports of immigration wanting a TM28 other than for a change of address and immigration would not expect that unless you are staying here long term and doing 90 day reports. Some offices don't even request it or want it for doing a change of address.

The immigration act the way it is written creates a bit of duplicity between the the reporting requirements for sections 37 and 38. That is why immigration is only enforcing the TM30 reporting and some offices have gone overboard in their requirements by misinterpreting it.

I think it would be best if people would refer to the 90 day reporting as to what it is truly meant to be for which is for staying longer than 90 days in the country not a address report.

{snipped earlier posts}

Hi Ubon Joe,

There have been no reports of immigration wanting a TM28 other than for a change of address and immigration would not expect that unless you are staying here long term and doing 90 day reports. Some offices don't even request it or want it for doing a change of address.

The immigration act the way it is written creates a bit of duplicity between the the reporting requirements for sections 37 and 38. That is why immigration is only enforcing the TM30 reporting and some offices have gone overboard in their requirements by misinterpreting it.

I think it would be best if people would refer to the 90 day reporting as to what it is truly meant to be for which is for staying longer than 90 days in the country not a address report.

UJ, do you have a link to section 37 and 38 you referred to above?

I looked on the Immig website, but in the 'Acts' area it says that section is not available now. Do you have another link, or perhaps post the text maybe?

Thanks,

Edited by bluesofa

{snipped earlier posts}

Hi Ubon Joe,

UJ, do you have a link to section 37 and 38 you referred to above?

I looked on the Immig website, but in the 'Acts' area it says that section is not available now. Do you have another link, or perhaps post the text maybe?

Thanks,

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf