Thai wife has to register falang husband's whereabouts?

The falangs on my moobaan are all of a panic because it seems that their Thai wife / partner has to present themself to immigration and complete a form confirming that a falang is living at the same address. Additionally, it seems that a Thai wife and / or the owner (or agent of a rented property) have to inform the police if the "registered falang" is going to be away from their property for more than 24 hours. Oh and one of the women on our moobann having "registered" her husband was "fined" 800 baht for "overstay"!! It seems that earlier this week the registration took place at the Promenada Immigration office, but yesterday someone was redirected to the "old" office along from Central Airport Plaza

I've been living here in Chiang Mai for more than 5 years and been married to a Thai woman for 3 of those years and I've never heard of this before. I've always notified Immigration of my changes of address by completing the 90 day (TM47) document. Is this new legislation, or have Immigration suddenly decided to enforce a long-forgotten rule...and if so, why?

Edited by JLT

OK, two things:

1) Why was this moved to the "Visa Forum", it's not about visa's?

2) Where is the "Visa Forum" and why can't a link be provided?

3) (OK there are three things!)..."Seedy" who are you and what was your reasoning behind using your moderating powers to move this post?

I confirm that the forum "Thai visas, residency and work permits" is the correct forum for this topic.
  • Like 1

how come the OP says fined 800THB for overstay, overstay is 500 per day, so it seems it was for something else.

If obtaining an extension within Thailand the farang and his wife would have to visit the Immigration office and prove that

they are married, and have photo proof of this fact, and they could also be visited by the immigration officers.

My understanding is that it's been required by any hotel, apartment or other rental option to report monthly on any foreign residents for the past 10-15 years.

This is not true. The notification, with the form TM.30, is made only once, within 24 hours of the arrival of the foreigner, regardless of the length of stay.

When did it start being required of a wife to report her husband? It may have been on the books, and we all know about hotels notifying immigration, but since when did a wife have to report her husband? I've lived with my wife for 25 years, and been to immigration with her plenty of times, but never any mention of this.

From my certain knowledge TM 30 forms have been required since Feb of this year.

Thai wives are not required to "report" their husbands but owners or possessors of property are expected to report a foreigner taking up residence.

• Like 1

OK, two things:

1) Why was this moved to the "Visa Forum", it's not about visa's?

2) Where is the "Visa Forum" and why can't a link be provided?

3) (OK there are three things!)..."Seedy" who are you and what was your reasoning behind using your moderating powers to move this post?

Easy answer.

The form is about Thai Visas, residency and work permits.

Your post falls under residency.

Edited by ldiablo

There seems to be somebody misinterpreting section 38 of the immigration act. The TM30 report is only needed once when the alien moves into the residence.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

There is certainly no requirement to report every time they leave the residence for more than 24 hours. I think there is misunderstanding or perhaps misinformation about what immigration is asking for.

UbonJoe

How does this apply to those of us with a yellow tabien baan and returning from a trip overseas to the same residence? We report that address on our arrival form and we are not moving in, we are simply returning to our Thai "home of record".

• Like 1

There seems to be somebody misinterpreting section 38 of the immigration act. The TM30 report is only needed once when the alien moves into the residence.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

There is certainly no requirement to report every time they leave the residence for more than 24 hours. I think there is misunderstanding or perhaps misinformation about what immigration is asking for.

UbonJoe

How does this apply to those of us with a yellow tabien baan and returning from a trip overseas to the same residence? We report that address on our arrival form and we are not moving in, we are simply returning to our Thai "home of record".

Having a yellow house book in reality changes nothing for the reporting.

My interpretation of section 38 and by many immigration offices is that a report is only needed if you change your residence.

But there are few immigration offices that claim the report needs to be done if you leave and re-enter the country.

They hit my wife with this last month. She was NOT happy, to say the least. Told them we first did a marriage extension 7 years ago, then after 1 year of that, changed it to Retirement Extension. And every 90 days for 7 frigging years, I've done a 90 day report, with the same frigging address, so why do they want this bull crap now? And I even have a Yellow Book. The simply told her "new rules", and that if she didn't do it, and get a form for me to staple in my passport, I would not be allowed to get a new extension in January.

This is Thailand, where nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, is either simple or easy.

• Like 2

I'm extending my permission to stay through marriage next month. Would it be prudent to also fill in a TM 30 and hand it in at the same time?

Be prepared. It was brought up when I did my first extension a couple of years ago. My wife was with me so it wasn't a problem. It was also asked for again when I renewed the extension earlier this year.

They didn't remove the old slip, just stapled it over and put a new one in.

Do you still need a TM30 if you have a Yellow TB?

From my previous post. "Having a yellow house book in reality changes nothing for the reporting."

It is only accepted as a proof of residence and in some cases it is not enough for that.

If you rent the house from a Thai who lives outside of Thailand what do you have to do then ?

Im now just a renter.

If you have a rental agreement with your name on in you could do it as the possessor of the residence. But you would need a copy of the agreement with copies of the owners house book and ID card attached to it.

If you rent the house from a Thai who lives outside of Thailand what do you have to do then ?

Im now just a renter.

If you have a rental agreement with your name on in you could do it as the possessor of the residence. But you would need a copy of the agreement with copies of the owners house book and ID card attached to it.

That might be a problem, will see how it goes because the house is not yet sold the money has been paid but the blue book is not yet updated that will happen when the new owner visits Thailand again (was told it could be done within 5 years) the chanote was updated and I do got copies of the ID card. I only got a rental agreement in English. Would that pose a problem too?

UbonJoe

When I did my extension earlier this year I had a TM30 slip in my passport but my wife was asked to complete another. I had been out of the country a couple of times during the year but nothing was said about that. The request for the TM30 was as though it was a matter of course. I have the yellow book and have been at the same address since 2008.

It could very well be down to local interpretation on this point.

Im now just a renter.

That might be a problem, will see how it goes because the house is not yet sold the money has been paid but the blue book is not yet updated that will happen when the new owner visits Thailand again (was told it could be done within 5 years) the chanote was updated and I do got copies of the ID card. I only got a rental agreement in English. Would that pose a problem too?

A copy of the chanote would be accepted in lieu of a house book.

A rental agreement in English should be accepted by immigration.

They hit my wife with this last month. She was NOT happy, to say the least. Told them we first did a marriage extension 7 years ago, then after 1 year of that, changed it to Retirement Extension. And every 90 days for 7 frigging years, I've done a 90 day report, with the same frigging address, so why do they want this bull crap now? And I even have a Yellow Book. The simply told her "new rules", and that if she didn't do it, and get a form for me to staple in my passport, I would not be allowed to get a new extension in January.

This is Thailand, where nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, is either simple or easy.

what was the wife not happy about J1V.?

my wife always comes with me,and i remember last yr.doing my extension[retirement] that they wanted a signed copy of the house book plus a signed copy of my wife's id.

just done my extension and 90day report 10days ago and once again the wife had to give them a signed copy of each.

but surely its them that should be asking you there and then for information,the requirement forms marriage and retirement should be up-dated although like J1V

says this info they got when doing a marriage ext.

i think these that are getting fined have not reported a CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR A CHANGE IN THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES.

MAYBE A LETTER TO THE IMMIGRATION CHIEF ASKING HIM TO CLARIFY WHATS THESE NEW RULES ARE.

come on thai visa RATTLE THE CAGE.

• Like 1

My understanding is that it's been required by any hotel, apartment or other rental option to report monthly on any foreign residents for the past 10-15 years.

This is not true. The notification, with the form TM.30, is made only once, within 24 hours of the arrival of the foreigner, regardless of the length of stay.

but regardless of the number of stays. ie if the foreigner visits every week / month then each time the form must be submitted?