Growing tomatoes in Thailand

Currently growing some ( under shade ) but only just sprouted so too early to tell. Be interesting to see if they will grow into something edible although we are not expecting much as soil not the best. Having said that our corn is doing nicely so who knows.

Currently growing some ( under shade ) but only just sprouted so too early to tell. Be interesting to see if they will grow into something edible although we are not expecting much as soil not the best. Having said that our corn is doing nicely so who knows.

I think it's better to grow them in winter (dry season in Thailand). What do you think?

You can grow cherry tomatoes any time of the year but other varieties only during Thailand's coolest months as the flowers need cool night time temps to self pollinate.

It has been unusually hot this year, my 6 week old tomato seedlings are only 4-5 inches tall; squash and watermelon are doing fine.

Edited by Utley

I have had about 120 tomato plants die this year. The seeds came from the USA. Six of these were in pots with good soil. I think it is a lost cause to try to grow beefsteak type tomatoes in Thailand.

Tomatoes shouldn't be that difficult to grow. When you transplant from the seed flats you should wrap the stems in newspaper to discourage cutworms. Seedlings shouldn't be wet all the time and when you transplant you can bury them up to the first leaf ... they will produce new roots above those that they had in the seed tray.

tomato_cutworm.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

There are a variety of reasons why tomatoes might not grow here. Sort. Climate. Soil. Chilis were intensively cultivated here and I think that solanaceae pathogens have built up. I can just get away with a crop or two in the season that is starting now. All I am trying to say is that you can't generalise for the whole of Paris, or even the whole of some provinces. Nobody cultivates tomatoes here or at least if they do, the small green variety.

I grow tomatoes all year round. Cherries can be grown at any time, as can the Thai pink variety.

I have my new crop of large sized ones in at the moment. I expect a bumper crop as usual, but there are a few differences in growing them here.

Firstly forget the "full sun' rule - it is rubbish here. Grow them in part shade otherwise the large ones will "boil" inside in the extreme heat.

Secondly, use DR (Disease resistant) varieties. If you want an easy medium sized red tomato, buy "Moneymaker" or "Tropic" varieties - they handle the heat and humidity much better. For the last two years I have had great success with "Atkinson" - large red fruit, sweet and juicy and disease resistant.

I grow mine fully organically. I cover the bunches of fruit on top with small pieces of cloth or cardboard to stop the fruit-flies.

I buy my seeds online from Baker Creek Seeds in the US. No problems with importing them. If you order them now you should be able to get a crop in before the real heat comes back.

My guess is you are over-watering them. Mulch around the plants, to keep the soil moist, not wet, stake them so that there is good airflow and no branches or leaves are touching the ground and only water around the base of the plants (ie avoid getting water on the branches) periodically.

When planting the seedlings out, or when the seedlings are two to three inches high sprinkle epsom salts liberally around them and water in (buy it at a farm supplies place as magnesium sulphate). Before flower buds start to form give them a dose of potash and water in.

I think it's better to grow them in winter (dry season in Thailand). What do you think?

Yes. When I tried last year all the flowers just dropped off. I did a google and found that if the ambient is too high the pollen becomes sticky and insects don't want to know so you don't get any fruit developing. A lot would depend on where you live.

We grow tomatoes in the south, I imagined it'd too hot but we've grown many different varieties. We've got two different varieties to try out next, a beef tomato and a vine variety from an old Italian guy in England.

Upon rereading your post, there is an additional factor. I think using the sprinklers as you suggest is a problem. Most tomatoes hate high humidity and even if this does not cause rot, it will encourage diseases. The varieties I suggested are more tolerant of high humidity, but that just means the usual Thai dry season conditions - NOT the addition of a mist spray.

Also while they need part shade here, they also need part sun. I think that would partly explain the non- or low-fruiting. If you want to continue as you are, stick with cherry tomatoes.

You can grow cherry tomatoes any time of the year but other varieties only during Thailand's coolest months as the flowers need cool night time temps to self pollinate.

It has been unusually hot this year, my 6 week old tomato seedlings are only 4-5 inches tall; squash and watermelon are doing fine.

Although I've been asking for over a year, I simply can't get any help from my wife concerning what and when to plant vegetables.

You have squash, watermelon, and tomatoes growing now. What other vegetables are usually planted during the 'cool season'. I understand that potatoes are. Bell pepper? Can anyone make suggestions for what needs to be planted now?

Most "western" vegetables can be planted in Oct or Nov when the weather starts to cool down. If you look in the stores locally such as Lotus, you will only find seeds for leafy vegetables. I purchase my seeds for western style vegies from Burpee on the Internet and select vegetables that are tolerant of hot temps (which is what we have here in the "cool" season).

My guess is you are over-watering them. Mulch around the plants, to keep the soil moist, not wet, stake them so that there is good airflow and no branches or leaves are touching the ground and only water around the base of the plants (ie avoid getting water on the branches) periodically.

When planting the seedlings out, or when the seedlings are two to three inches high sprinkle epsom salts liberally around them and water in (buy it at a farm supplies place as magnesium sulphate). Before flower buds start to form give them a dose of potash and water in.

Hello All, is magnesium sulphate kosher in OG growing?

Also, he not clear on what type problem he's having, is it BER(blossum end rot) or something

caused by too much humidity. My tom's are grown in full sun in poly bags of coir that sit on

my driveway hydroponicaly, both OP and Hyb. seed works good. I just transplanted plants

last week from saved seeds from last season of the Indigo Apple and Pink Berkley Tye Dye,

there's pic's of these 2 verities on the Hydroponic thread. Both plant's seed is from TGS in FL.

rice555

I attempted to grow Beefsteak tomato's a couple of years ago. I planted 40 plants and they all grew and all had nice large green tomato's. Just as they were ripening, something got in them and they all rotted on the vine. I got not one tomato from them. I felt that maybe I planted late and they became mature in April which we all know is the hottest month of the year. I will try again this year and will have them planted in a couple of days. I read that tomato's love calcium so if I can find "Bone Meal" I will add that to the soil. I am located near Ubon and soil here basically sucks. I miss tomato sandwiches.

Had a bumper crop of tomatoes in Chiang Mai last year. Many different kinds. Even canned some. biggrin.png This year -- not so great. Just back from traveling and the plants are not looking so good. Scrawnier than they should be and a bit yellow tinted. I'm guessing not enough nitrogen, which means I probably brought the wrong kind of soil. It's kinda early in the season, however, though kinda not... I have more seedlings and a different type of soil to put them into. Will be doing that this week.

I attempted to grow Beefsteak tomato's a couple of years ago. I planted 40 plants and they all grew and all had nice large green tomato's. Just as they were ripening, something got in them and they all rotted on the vine. I got not one tomato from them. I felt that maybe I planted late and they became mature in April which we all know is the hottest month of the year. I will try again this year and will have them planted in a couple of days. I read that tomato's love calcium so if I can find "Bone Meal" I will add that to the soil. I am located near Ubon and soil here basically sucks. I miss tomato sandwiches.

I always start my first set of seeds in late July/August. Those plants usually get transplanted in early October? But I usually have to protect them from the heavier rains and sun as they start to take off. Fruit in late November/December. I usually also start a second set of seeds when I transplant the first set. But come late March/April, the tomato season's all finished when it comes to good tasting (heirloom) plants.

I have a large Koi pond [50000 litres but proper fish pond as not interested in crystal clear water for specimen fish] and have included two shallow aquaponic ponds in the circuit before the main mechanical/bio filtration.

As a start-up I am just using them to grow a salad bar for the Koi; duckweed and the like. The intention is to grow tomatoes/peppers and whatever else will be happy here in a hydroponic+ environment in northern Thailand.

Anyone any experience to pass on?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi default

Had a little sucsess with tomatoes. next month in the north the farmers are finished with rice stems growing mushrooms. The best fertalizer for tomatoes. I have negosiated with them to dump it on my land as i do every year as i raised my land using excavated soiled and it has no real nutrients. dont know where you are but hey they grow mushrooms all over los

• 2 months later...

The wife is quite proud of her first effort despite everything being a bit makeshift. Will build a steel frame for her for next crop and cover in green netting.

post-67284-0-47671100-1456820489_thumb.j

A friend of mine brought five different varieties that were meant for south Florida. All did great, robust stems and tomatoes about golf ball size. All the plants then just withered up and died. I tried what was supposed to be sterilized soil in pots, some in the shade and got the same results. I got absolutely no edible tomatoes. I am in Loei province. I gave some of the seeds to a friend who lives in Chiang Rai. His wife ridged some ground and planted the seeds on top of the mounds. Once in a while she flooded the trenches and ended up with a bumper crop of several different kinds. I obviously don't have a green thumb but my friend's wife does. I planted some cherry tomatoes and they did well except the fruit was bitter and not fit to eat. The worst part is that my Chiang Mai friend is not fond of tomatoes. I love tomatoes and all I can find in the markets are those juiceless, tasteless rubber ball tomatoes.

• 6 months later...

I originally posted this in the hydro thread, but thought it might be more relevant here. I have a problem growing tomatoes. They do really well until flowering, then develop a disease, as can be seen in the pic. I've added chelated iron and no other plants show a deficiency.  Can anybody identify the problem and suggest a solution? They are growing in an AP system, using coir and dwc.  Possibly too much water?

98ba4b17cb42d2b907571a4459c4a108.jpg