Lecturer/Professor

MadMac

Short background, I've just reviewed half a master thesis of a friend studying for Master of Management at Assumption University in Bangkok. The content was more than weak, so were the comments of her lecturer. Bad.

I am 45 years old and doing regional project work. On and off with enough time off to perhaps do and help the local kids. Not talking about teaching English but some more serious stuff. I come with a telecoms background and infrastructure implementation experience. Both certainly needed in this country. MSc and MBA.

So the question would be, is there any possibility to transfer knowledge and experience as a lecturer at a local university? Has anyone ever tried this? Teaching? What are the requirements, what are the roadblocks? Not about the money at all, but they would need to provide a work permit I assume for teaching.

Perhaps it's just a crazy idea, but I'd like to explore it.

Edited by MadMac

Look for universities offering courses in your field, especially international programs. Generally, if you want to be teaching on Master's programs you would need to have a PhD yourself and have a research background. With particular expertise or experience you might find something or be able to teach on undergraduate programs but you'll still probably be expected to fulfill the research requirements.

Thanks, well, that would be another interesting option to do a PhD in addition. Haven't thought about that. General problem I see, with that PhD you usually do not have the practical experience, as you are supposed to study, not work. But on a second track it may be worthwhile.

A Ph.D. is a research degree. Practical doctorates have different names. For example, Mus. D. is a degree in music performance while a Ph.D. in Musicology involves researching and writing about music.