Is it safe to go alone to SE Asia?

James101

where in SEA are you planning to travel? From my experience, risks tend to be different depending on which country you are planning to visit.

I would like to visit smaller towns, forests, beaches Most likely most Regions of Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma would be interesting to visit too. Possibly Vietnam, Malaysia.

Thailand sounds a bit overrated compared the rest of countries based of my "outsider" views. I think probadly because this is the most "westernized" place compared to the other places, where capitalist lifestyle hasn't improved enough yet

I found paying for a visa to be one of the most expensive and prohibitive things when first traveling. You will pay $15-35 for a months entry to Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.

Never been to Cambodia or Myanmar. Everyone I know who has been to Myanmar has spent time with food poisoning, but I'm sure they have been unlucky.

Laos is good, I just got back for 5000km bike ride from my place through Laos, but travel is hard but I guess you follow the pack - I find the attractions in Laos spread over great distances. I don't know how backpackers travel on the buses there, a lot of the roads are smashed to bits, I find it a dusty country, must be quite demanding.

Vietnam is amazing, it's also very well set up, great hotels, cheap day tours, great weather, impossible language.

Malaysia is expensive - I spent a lot of money without realizing over the years it in Malaysia. Sometimes food and hotels are a bit lacking.

Don't knock Thailand - it's convenient, good transportation, there's always something to eat here 24-7, it's well set up for tourism and never too expensive.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You would want to make acquaintaince with at least one or two other foreigners, that have been here for a while. I would not recommend it for anyone with severe disabilities or alcoholism. If you can, travel from place to place and get a feel for what you like. Trust your instincts...if you feel uncomfortable then move on. Some folks like to live near western pubs and gogo havens...(I do not). On the other hand, the further away you are, from these western enclaves, the more you realize that you need to develop some basic skills in the language.

I find that being just outside city boundaries (15 minute drive), and having a quiet garden home, much better than living in congested areas. Older single folks like condos....for simplicity. (I don't). I like some space, and a garden. Four walls is not for me.

As for being a victim...all depends on your street smarts. Develop a long term strategy, and live on a solid budget. Keep plenty in the bank, back home, for a possible retrograde.

More than a few of us has done it the hard way/wrong way..but came through the struggle and have developed healthier/wiser strategies on budgeting, relationships, traveling, and just living the life. Nothing to brag about... I did almost everything wrong...but have learned from my hardships.

Edited by slipperylobster

where in SEA are you planning to travel? From my experience, risks tend to be different depending on which country you are planning to visit.

I would like to visit smaller towns, forests, beaches Most likely most Regions of Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma would be interesting to visit too. Possibly Vietnam, Malaysia.

Thailand sounds a bit overrated compared the rest of countries based of my "outsider" views. I think probadly because this is the most "westernized" place compared to the other places, where capitalist lifestyle hasn't improved enough yet

I consider those countries relatively safe in terms of sort of normal crimes like theft, robbery etc. Probably much safer in that respect that countries in Europe. But risks for travellers tend to be in other areas like people mentioned, like motorcycles/traffic etc.

for your second part about Thailand being westernized and capitalist lifestyles. I think if you are looking for non-capitalist lifestyles, SEA is the wrong place to visit for sure. People here in most countries are far more market/capitalists than in the Western world. Now about Thailand, I don't think Thailand is westernized, you will find that Thai culture is very strong, so for instance most people don't speak English here, they listen to Thai music, they adopt Thai culture/values etc.

Hi James, Going alone to SEA has the same risk as going alone to any country, if you use common sense and caution you will be fine.

British FO stats claim you are 20x more likely to die on holiday in Thailand than on holiday in Europe.

Australia claims similar stats.

This includes death from all causes, common sense doesn't protect you.

Some things common sense won't help you with, but are popular causes of death recently.

Scuba diving accidents.

Zip line accidents.

Road accidents.

Coach and mini bus crashes.

Mysterious deaths while sleeping in hotel beds.

Balcony falls.

What common sense may help you avoiding,

Bar fights.

While some of those are correct the

SCUBA diving doesn't fit. There are true accidents and a very few of those can be fatal.

However related to scuba, common sense means following your training and if you do that you will usually avoid accidents and if an accident happens avoid death or serious injury.

The incidents I've heard of have almost all involved people who did not follow their training. It is sad when people die, but blaming the activity is the wrong answer, when isn't the cause.

most of the danger is who you associate with, not the fact of being alone.

time and again my biggest problems have always been becoming involved in other people problems or doing stupid things as a group that i would not do if i was alone.

try solo travel.