Thai Cheap Charlies

fred Kubasa

Today's announcement that Mark Zuckerman, ( Facebook founder), has pledged to give to charity 99 % of his Facebbook shares,

which follows Bill Gates pledge to donate 50 % of his fortune, Warren Buffet = 90 % and hundreds of others doing the same,

prompted me to ask why I have never read of any wealthy Thai making donations to international causes or even significant ones

to Thai charities ?Yes, after each quarterly disaster someone donates a few paltry bags of rice, some water, lots of sympathy

but not much money ! Matter of fact I've not seen any Thai name associated with the Bill Gates originated International Pledge Fund ! Though on a limited budget I do give to charity and still am called a " Cheap Charlie " !

Not everyone likes to advertise what they choose to give, isnt it said somewhere to do it anonymously shows it has more meaning as you are doing for the good of the recipient and not for the recognition.

"that it's better -- more virtuous -- to give to charity anonymously rather than publicly flouting one's generosity. Nobody likes a braggart, after all, and ostentatiously trumpeted donations may suggest that the donor is more motivated to boost his reputation than to actually help others"

What a lot of people don't know is that aproxematly 75% of charity donations go to the charity organisers as adminsitation funds and most of that go to the chairman/woman.

Very little actually makes its way to the people who need it most.

About 15 years ago in Western Australia the police minister was pulled up for being the head of about ten charities and was earning more money from her charity work than her actual salary as a minister and was ordered to step down from those charities

Not everyone likes to advertise what they choose to give, isnt it said somewhere to do it anonymously shows it has more meaning as you are doing for the good of the recipient and not for the recognition.

"that it's better -- more virtuous -- to give to charity anonymously rather than publicly flouting one's generosity. Nobody likes a braggart, after all, and ostentatiously trumpeted donations may suggest that the donor is more motivated to boost his reputation than to actually help others"

Nobody likes to show off more about giving than a Thai, never been to a temple where they have the givers name and sometimes photo and how much they donated up on huge posters? It's called gaining face.

Edited by jacky54

I think Thai have very regular giving events… It is often done with no fuss and fanfare, no tax breaks or publicity or acknowledgment of who gave how much. My small village just raised near 1 MM baht for a new temple construction. I would bet that nobody made headlines. Before you start knocking wealthy or poor Thai, do you know how much they give? Or are you just going by headline news?

Bill Gates, who some might say earned his money by creating a monopoly and then ruthlessly overcharging consumers, is now seeking headlines for what a great guy he is…

I'll go with Thai style.

What a lot of people don't know is that aproxematly 75% of charity donations go to the charity organisers as adminsitation funds and most of that go to the chairman/woman.

About 15 years ago in Western Australia the police minister was pulled up for being the head of about ten charities and was earning more money from her charity work than her actual salary as a minister and was ordered to step down from those charities

Unless you produce the data to show this statistic is correct, I'll call it hogwash.

By example.

https://www.oxfam.org.au/what-we-do/about-us/assessing-our-performance/where-the-money-goes/

http://learn.christianaid.org.uk/Other/help_5.aspx

https://www.wfp.org/help/where-your-money-goes

You need to start coming up with charities spending 75% as you claim...

Edited by GuestHouse

A large majority of the wealthiest families in Thailand is Thai-Chinese. In Chinese culture money is kept within the family and not given to charities.

You may recall that Buffett and Gates visited China back in 2010 to encourage Chinese philanthropy. The trip was a resounding failure, with many wealthy individuals refusing to meet the visitors. In short, in Chinese society: there is no religious requirement to give to the needy; the wealthy people are only a generation or two removed from being peasants, so giving wealth away is not something Chinese families have done historically.

More insight into this at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/china/2010/10/04/turning-down-gates-buffett-philanthropy-in-china-requires-for-profit-social-enterprises/

Nobody likes to show off more about giving than a Thai, never been to a temple where they have the givers name and sometimes photo and how much they donated up on huge posters? It's called gaining face.

I thought it was called being dumb

I think Thai have very regular giving events… It is often done with no fuss and fanfare, no tax breaks or publicity or acknowledgment of who gave how much. My small village just raised near 1 MM baht for a new temple construction. I would bet that nobody made headlines. Before you start knocking wealthy or poor Thai, do you know how much they give? Or are you just going by headline news?

Bill Gates, who some might say earned his money by creating a monopoly and then ruthlessly overcharging consumers, is now seeking headlines for what a great guy he is…

I'll go with Thai style.

I can think of no bigger waste of 1 million baht

Zuckerberg, Gates, Buffet aren't the people I would believe one word.

First thought is that something is very wrong or that the donated money will come back double.

But from these I might believe Gates...giving half sounds probable.

Unless you produce the data to show this statistic is correct, I'll call it hogwash.

By example.

https://www.oxfam.org.au/what-we-do/about-us/assessing-our-performance/where-the-money-goes/

I don't know for and 75%, but I know from famous charities and protect nature groups who pay themself very nice salaries......Some full manager salary, wife assistant, etc.

By example.

Interesting article from the Mail on Sunday of about a year back, entitled 'The Great British rake-off':

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2835947/The-Great-British-rake-really-happens-billions-donate-charity-Fat-cat-pay-appalling-waste-hidden-agendas.html

Amongst all the usual hyperbole you would expect from that publication it makes this particular comment:

'The final £29.6 million – just £2.57 of every £10 spent – was actually used for the proper front-line work that many donors might normally associate with the RSPB'

But the overriding impression, to me, is the sheer number, in the UK, of charities (195.000) and people involved (noted as employing over one million staff - implies that this excludes volunteers, but not clear).

Also noted is that there are nearly 5,000 international charities operating in Ethiopia, up from 70 a couple of decades ago.

The need to keep the donations rolling in was highlighted a few months back in the UK when an old lady, who was seen as a soft touch, was bombarded with hundreds of telephone and letter requests from various charities, to the extent that she took her own life by jumping off a bridge.

There is no doubt that too many now see charities as big business rather than the original concept of being totally focussed on helping needy causes.

In the UK the Charities Commission appears overloaded and doesn't seem able to cope with the huge recent expansion.

he's not giving away 99% of his money to charity, not at all

he's forming a limited liability company controlled by him and his wife and kids, which will invest in various things, some charitable and some for profit, but with the aims of improving the world or something vague like that. and transfering 99% of facebook stock over to it

Chinese Thai's prefer to give money without making it into the news.

Westerners always announce that they give the money but it will end up in a foundation (none taxable).

Everyone can pledge but it doesn't mean they actually give the money.

Furthermore Chinese Thai's pass it on to the next generation.

he's not giving away 99% of his money to charity, not at all

he's forming a limited liability company controlled by him and his wife and kids, which will invest in various things, some charitable and some for profit, but with the aims of improving the world or something vague like that. and transfering 99% of facebook stock over to it

Ahhh means he won't pay tax and can mess around globally........"supporting democracy: somewhere and than get some good deal from the new government.

It is not charity it is just a different way of doing business....

these are not really just donations, they are publicized intentionally to benefit the company and brand of the founders (another sort of advertising that generates instant goodwill and increased profits. much more effective then the best commercials).

Zuckerberg, Gates, Buffet aren't the people I would believe one word.

First thought is that something is very wrong or that the donated money will come back double.

But from these I might believe Gates...giving half sounds probable.

Don`t believe anything how it looks on face value.

Is a double bluff called, business models giving for profit. By donating to good causes these companies gain huge benefits on tax allowances and other government concessions that ends up with the companies gaining more then they give away. These people are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and even before the donated money gets to those it`s intended for, there are middle people lining their pockets with the funds. Only a low percentage gets to help the actual cause it`s self. This is why I don`t give to charities and believe charity begins at home.

Look at any charity in Thailand and see how many are funded by Thai people. Everyone I have seen was started and funded from foreigners. There is a reason rich Thai people has a lot of money; they keep it.

The Wats are all funded by foreigners?