WARNING: Do not mess with monkeys in Thailand!

Every monkey I have met in Southeast Asia and is dangerous and aggressive --including the ones behind the wheel in traffic!

Seriously, I innocently went to a place called Monkey Park near my hometown in Isaan. The monkeys in that park did over 7000 baht of damage to my motorbike. In addition to stealing my lunch. Any defensive or protective act on my part was met with extreme aggression.

The most important rule of thumb is: do not make eye contact. It is seen as a physical challenge by the monkey, and it will likely attack.

In addition, several species, including Macaque, commonly carry a virus which is fatal to humans, if bitten. Google it.

After traveling and moving to Southeast Asia, my mental image of a cuddly little monkey was turned on its head!

Edited by Fookhaht

Monkeys have very similar DNA to us, which makes them good hosts for viruses, which can infect humans.

Hepatitis and I guess HIV as well.

Then there are the teeth.

2013-11-05_08-51-51.jpg

Every monkey I have met in Southeast Asia and is dangerous and aggressive --including the ones behind the wheel in traffic!

Seriously, I innocently went to a place called Monkey Park near my hometown in Isaan. The monkeys in that park did over 7000 baht of damage to my motorbike. In addition to stealing my lunch. Any defensive or protective act on my part was met with extreme aggression.

The most important rule of thumb is: do not make eye contact. It is seen as a physical challenge by the monkey, and it will likely attack.

In addition, several species, including Macaque, commonly carry a virus which is fatal to humans, if bitten. Google it.

After traveling and moving to Southeast Asia, my mental image of a cuddly little monkey was turned on its head!

According to Wikipedia....nearly all (73–100%) pet and captive macaques are carriers of the herpes B virus. This virus is harmless to macaques, but infections of humans, while rare, are potentially fatal, a risk that makes macaques unsuitable as pets.

How many Macaques out in the wild carry Herpes B is anyone's guess.

In the natural host, the virus exhibits pathogenesis similar to that of herpes simplex virus (HSV) in humans.

Conversely, when humans are zoonotically infected with B virus, patients can present with severe central nervous system disease, resulting in permanent neurological dysfunction or death. Severity of the disease increases for untreated patients, with a case fatality rate of approximately 80%. Early diagnosis and subsequent treatment are crucial to human survival of the infection. - Wikipedia

We really don't want to fool around with monkeys... especially the Macaque monkey. These monkeys are the most widespread primate genus, ranging from Japan to Afghanistan and, in the case of the barbary macaque (Macaca sylvanus), to North Africa and Southern Europe.

They may be also be starting to pass on the Simian Foamy Virus to humans now also... not good.

The fact that some people that don't know any better tell their children that monkeys are cute and cuddly .... sickens me.

Edited by Catoni

To be fair he did just throw something right at it! There's no surprise the monkey got upset by that.

I do get mocked when I tell others here that monkeys are dangerous animals but I don't care. I try to avoid the areas where they are prevalent or make sure I have a big umbrella (as a walking stick or protection from the sun/rain) or stick at hand just in case.

Edited by alien365

As domesticated as they may seem at numerous "monkey parks" they're wild creatures and absolutely dangerous when provoked. In this case the relative I.Q.'s of the participants were well tested and caught on video. I'd vote for the furry one. He's also the better sprinter.

To be fair he did just throw something right at it! There's no surprise the monkey got upset by that.

I do get mocked when I tell others here that monkeys are dangerous animals but I don't care. I try to avoid the areas where they are prevalent or make sure I have a big umbrella (as a walking stick or protection from the sun/rain) or stick at hand just in case.

If you listen to what the guys are saying, the monkey is damaging the motorcycle and pissing all over it. There's no surprise that the man got upset by that.

I don't know if I would have tried something similar - throw something in an attempt to chase off the monkey also. As you say- they are dangerous animals. After seeing this, if I ever end up in a similar situation I will let the monkey finish whatever he is doing and move on.

That video is hilarious, love the way his mate is laughing his head off.

Of course - it is not his motorcycle being damaged or pissed on.

If you listen to what the guys are saying, the monkey is damaging the motorcycle and pissing all over it. There's no surprise that the man got upset by that.

I don't know if I would have tried something similar - throw something in an attempt to chase off the monkey also. As you say- they are dangerous animals. After seeing this, if I ever end up in a similar situation I will let the monkey finish whatever he is doing and move on.

That video is hilarious, love the way his mate is laughing his head off.

Of course - it is not his motorcycle being damaged or pissed on.

I couldn't understand what they were saying, I just heard laughter. Anyone here know what the correct thing to do would have been in this situation?

The monkeys in Bang Saeng, on what is locally called Monkey Mountain (the peninsular between Bang Saeng and Ang Sila), are big aggressive bastards. Thais and Chinese feed the monkeys on the mountain but when food is short they will come into town. They are amazing to watch scurrying up the face of condo blocks with no effort. If you live in Bang Saeng at certain times of the year you do not leave your balcony doors open, or you come home to a trashed apartment. You should never confront them, they have canines about 3 inches long. They would put a few holes in you. Friends of mine keep those big water squiring guns in their apartments filled with vinegar, a face full of that mostly gets them on their way.

A 9mm bullet traveling at 1200 ft/sec takes care of monkeys.

The monkeys in Bang Saeng, on what is locally called Monkey Mountain (the peninsular between Bang Saeng and Ang Sila), are big aggressive bastards. Thais and Chinese feed the monkeys on the mountain but when food is short they will come into town. They are amazing to watch scurrying up the face of condo blocks with no effort. If you live in Bang Saeng at certain times of the year you do not leave your balcony doors open, or you come home to a trashed apartment. You should never confront them, they have canines about 3 inches long. They would put a few holes in you. Friends of mine keep those big water squiring guns in their apartments filled with vinegar, a face full of that mostly gets them on their way.

i was there in Bang Saen , about twenty years ago, in the back of a pick up with the family around the cliffs, and the family being Chonburi natives knew to put everything in the cabin , especially handbags and food, next to the driver .

The pick up in front wasn't so knowledgeable , or the one two pick ups behind either and the monkeys did flying leaps type entry into the backs of the pick ups and scampered off with the handbags . They seem to know where and what pick ups had the goodies as only one small (i guess young and more inexperienced) bounded across the back of our pick up , picked his nose and then took off. Maybe they were watching us all the time - smart little pricks.

Expensive lesson for the tourists even though there were signs about the monkeys in both Thai and English.

Amazing how childhood experiences shape one's future! As a five year old, (1957) the circus was in town. They had Rhesus monkeys tethered with collar and chain. One had a youngster that was running free. It shot out from under a vehicle lept up on me and bit my hand! Then off away before I could even react. All my life I have been interested and proactive in wildlife and conservation, except for one animal! You guessed it! Been to Thailand several times, have a Thai wife and plan on settling there, continuing my wildlife interests, except for................................ Are these bastards protected? Can you shoot them if stealing fruit and generally being a pest? Will a dog keep them away?

Amazing how childhood experiences shape one's future! As a five year old, (1957) the circus was in town. They had Rhesus monkeys tethered with collar and chain. One had a youngster that was running free. It shot out from under a vehicle lept up on me and bit my hand! Then off away before I could even react. All my life I have been interested and proactive in wildlife and conservation, except for one animal! You guessed it! Been to Thailand several times, have a Thai wife and plan on settling there, continuing my wildlife interests, except for................................ Are these bastards protected? Can you shoot them if stealing fruit and generally being a pest? Will a dog keep them away?

We had friends over last weekend and went to Chonburi for dinner. After me just posting that I always avoid that area, (which "her indoors" would not have known about,(( the posting on TVF)),) the visitors apparently wanted to see and without asking me, wifey drove through it in 2 directions. Windows closed doors locked. I was not a happy camper!

In answer to your question, the dogs & monkeys seem very VERY cool with each other. I was horrified at the monkeys scampering through shops & restaurants etc. In a fight I might be inclined to bet on the monkeys. So many, so athletic and so fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

Common sense dictates not to "mess" with any wild animals, including those that have reputations of "liking" humans...like porpoises (dolphins). If any animal feels threatened and especially if they have young, then all bets are off and they have the potential to attack. This also includes captive animals, like the ones in these ridiculous Tiger Temples and parks...aka Tiger Prisons.