Booze Ban this Saturday?

millwall_fan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is never Alcohol sold on the Kings birthday, But there are always places to get a drink. The side streets like Soi Chaiyaphum, (maggie masa ) are rarely bothered. All the places where you would expect drinkers to be will be heavily watched. Just keep your head about you.

Bangkok hasn't been dry on 5 December for a few years now. Maybe this year will be different, but I doubt it.

Thailand was always a dry day on the Kings birthday then some years ago the King declared it a normal day I did not think that the PM would go against that decision.

I think the unofficial ban on these days has less to do with alcohol consumption but more with less-respectable activities like bar fining and general display of debauchery.... go to any restaurants along beach road on that day and you'll find they'll be serving alcohol just fine, only the seedy sois that's asked to close out of respect.

Same with the Queen's Birthday that's also mother's day, somebody's mothers or definitely daughters probably don't feel like getting groped by old men

This gives me cause for hope, Digbeth, as I will be with my wife and 8 year old child, A restaurant along Beach Rd with a few beers would be fine!

Family traditions die hard here. Lets pack up the wife and kid and go get some beer down in Pattaya. Make sure it isn't a holiday ! Are you sure they are serving beer today? Where exactly is this beer? Ok...everyone get in the taxi, we are heading to beach road for that beer. They better be serving.... Hey kids....you go out and look at the jet skis....I'm not leaving this place without another beer.

just kidding....have a nice one. Stay clear of the crowded areas....(referring to some recent threads regarding some threats.

Well, it's Saturday now, and lots of bars are still open, and serving alcohol, as one might expect.

Many businesses rang city hall during the week and they were all told it was business as usual.

Some people think the world is flat, and will always probably think that.

Because having a beer in the evening whilst the sun is going down over the South China Sea, and before one repairs to a restaurant for a meal and a glass of wine, is part of the holiday experience and every time they have a booze ban during someone's hard earned holiday, is not going to encourage repeat visits and not going to get the country many rave reviews.

South China Sea? Better get to Nha Trang in Vietnam then. But don't call it the South China Sea there either otherwise the locals may piss in your beer.

If my memory serves me right, it was his 80th birthday when he decided that is should no longer be an alcohol ban day.

I was around then. It wasn't about "alcohol" aka drinking and drunks, it was about opening schools and banks etc.. However, as we can see(some of us), the country has continued to honor him and made a substitution day of Monday this year to close schools and banks etc.. I repeat again, if you love him, you don't worry about nor go around getting drunk in bars looking for prostitutes and drug addicts on his birthday.

If my memory serves me right, it was his 80th birthday when he decided that is should no longer be an alcohol ban day.

I was around then. It wasn't about "alcohol" aka drinking and drunks, it was about opening schools and banks etc.. However, as we can see(some of us), the country has continued to honor him and made a substitution day of Monday this year to close schools and banks etc.. I repeat again, if you love him, you don't worry about nor go around getting drunk in bars looking for prostitutes and drug addicts on his birthday.

Rather strange use of a certain verb in your last sentence.

I am not sure too many non Thais do.

^

Beer snobs are boring .Heineken is a decent beer.Belgium is lucky to have so many beers ,but they are of varying tastes .Some i like some i do not .Germany beers the same .

QUOTE: Belgium is lucky to have so many beers ,but they are of varying tastes.

?but?

!BUT!

???

That is exactly what we beer snobs are talking about.

The attraction of Belgian beers is that they come in many different flavours.

Not 1 standardized, mass produced, uniform, "one fits all", marketing product.

Mostly lager (I would not even drink Belgian lager) and weissbier that does not compare to Hoegaarden.

>>As for German beers, what do they have?<<

I have just returned from a 90 day visa run to MaeSai (Burma North of Chiang Mai ) and got some lovely German brewed Oettinger Schwarz .Lovely stuff a bit like my home Country drink of Guinness .Just B50 up there for a 500 ml can .They also had Guinness in small cans but the extra strong Export Guinness which tastes too sweet to me .(i love normal Guinness though ) .P.S,The bars may be closed or not but i am set up with a slab of the Oettinger and i also got some beer Lao which i like .

Shennanigans Jomtien is closed Saturday but there is another certain bar open............begins with a letter F...wai2.gif

Not FD? they for sure will not be iopen

Nope......F.B.....

Yeah sorry I am bit slow today, got where you mean now, could always get a beer in his last place on these days

everything swinging in soi 4 last night and cowboy, still, very quiet later on though, lots of bars hardly any customers. ?? dont know where these so called tourists are hiding. they got off the planes, the "BOSS" told us, so must be true. lol !!

Well. we've just got back from our very enjoyable 3 night break in Pattaya and I am delighted to report that all the bars and restaurants within walking distance of Beach rd, soi 7 & 8 where we like to stay, were open and serving food, alcoholic beverages and outrageously loud music as per usual. We enjoyed meals in Mr99 seafood place on Beach rd (6 out of 10), Brauhaus German restaurant on Second Rd, (5 out of 10) and Tequila Reef Cantina on soi 7 (9 out of 10 - fabulous). As well as drinking beers in various street-side watering holes. HM's birthday was marked by candles and Thai songs at 7.30pm during which, most foreigners still able to stand, did so, and those with enough knowledge of Thailand to know what was going on listened in respectful silence, there was then a short municipal firework display, and then Pattaya got on with what it does best: serving beer, food, sex and rock 'n roll. Back now to the monasticism of my weekday life until the next time!!

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Well. we've just got back from our very enjoyable 3 night break in Pattaya and I am delighted to report that all the bars and restaurants within walking distance of Beach rd, soi 7 & 8 where we like to stay, were open and serving food, alcoholic beverages and outrageously loud music as per usual. We enjoyed meals in Mr99 seafood place on Beach rd (6 out of 10), Brauhaus German restaurant on Second Rd, (5 out of 10) and Tequila Reef Cantina on soi 7 (9 out of 10 - fabulous). As well as drinking beers in various street-side watering holes. HM's birthday was marked by candles and Thai songs at 7.30pm during which, most foreigners still able to stand, did so, and those with enough knowledge of Thailand to know what was going on listened in respectful silence, there was then a short municipal firework display, and then Pattaya got on with what it does best: serving beer, food, sex and rock 'n roll. Back now to the monasticism of my weekday life until the next time!!

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Glad you all had a good time.

(Pity about the football though).

Archived