F1 2016

Basil B

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercedes radio advice and the 10 second penalty given by stewards defines the radio rules and the penalties at least to the end of this season.

From now on, the teams know what kind of penalty they will get from giving advices via the radio. F1 teams being extremely competitive, will calculate what kind of message is worth of 10 seconds added to the race time.

After race interview with Nico:

Immediately after the race, Rosberg said he felt the radio conversation was within the rules..

"Yeah, absolutely," Rosberg said. "It was a very critical problem because I was stuck in seventh gear and about to stop on track. They told me to change to the default and try to fix it."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/16951229/nico-rosberg-p2-investigation-radio-rules-breach

F1 Penalties getting a bit of a joke... gigglem.gif

Last week he got a 10 second penalty, which meant nothing as the car behind was 14 seconds adrift. today he says he would have stalled on the track, but then goes on to get 18 points which he would not have got if the race engineer had helped him resolve the issue, as the rules are at this time I feel he should have pulled off the track or pitted and retired from the race.

Edited by Basil B

I'd say the radio incident was no way Nico's fault. I'm quite sure no reasonable driver would have condemned their own team (and their own result) when the verdict was on hands of the stewards.

Mercedes decided to test the radio rules on this occasion. They could as well tried to test the rules when Hamilton had a problem, now or in the future.

The podium booing was stupid. There was no other reason for it, but the previous race when Hamilton was booed.

The good part was that the booing didn't last for long. It lasted for only few seconds. Webber addressed the audience and after that there was a mixed cheering for both Rosberg and young Verstappen.

I personally wish to keep on thinking that the Brits are the polite F1 folks, Jenson Buttons, not the Maldonado's and not even the Hamilton's (I'm sorry to say so).

What is important, the F1 rules and penalties has to be constant. No matter who is driving and no matter what is the situation. That is the only way to keep the credibility of the sport intact.

The safety car should have at most done 2 laps if any. The proof was how quick drivers were to go for inters. As soon as the rain came I knew the race was Lewis's to lose. Rosberg is not good enough in the wet.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Btw. I have to give it to Hamilton. This time, during the podium interview Hamilton sounded like a normal human being, instead of being an android, repeating the love message from planet Mercedes. It sounded that he was talking his own real feelings.

Yeah, I specifically liked the bit where he said to the fans.. I am catching 'him'

How to make the F1 a sport, where each driver make one or multiple errors, which cost good amount of time, during each race? The balance of the best drivers doing one or two errors, while the not so good would do many more. That is the F1 what would be exiting to watch.

Give everyone the same car. Lewis will still be up there and Rosberg would be down the field behind Vettel, Alonso and Kimi. It's all about instinct, finesse and knowing where the edge is. Son of Keke is very good but he just hasn't got 'it'. [emoji6]

If they'd taken the Baku approach, when told to avoid 7th gear, and Nick asked What does that mean? They should have said Can't answer that. Or to protect the car box him. Once they answered, they crossed the line to coaching.

Cooling down room lol. How Mercedes can say the drivers have a good relationship, they never even acknowledged the other was in the room.

I'd say the radio incident was no way Nico's fault. I'm quite sure no reasonable driver would have condemned their own team (and their own result) when the verdict was on hands of the stewards.

Mercedes decided to test the radio rules on this occasion. They could as well tried to test the rules when Hamilton had a problem, now or in the future.

The podium booing was stupid. There was no other reason for it, but the previous race when Hamilton was booed.

The good part was that the booing didn't last for long. It lasted for only few seconds. Webber addressed the audience and after that there was a mixed cheering for both Rosberg and young Verstappen.

I personally wish to keep on thinking that the Brits are the polite F1 folks, Jenson Buttons, not the Maldonado's and not even the Hamilton's (I'm sorry to say so).

What is important, the F1 rules and penalties has to be constant. No matter who is driving and no matter what is the situation. That is the only way to keep the credibility of the sport intact.

I agree on the rules need to be consistent ...but also no driver should get any advantage by breaking the rules, Mercedes and Nico still have 15 points more than if Nico's gear box gave out, I know it was not Nico to blame but he got 18 points he would not have.

Taking 3 points away does not address the problem, what next: Engineer to Driver "Do not give the place back, you will get a 10 second penalty but we calculate at the finish you will be 11 seconds ahead" whistling.gif

Possibly one way to address the problem of engineers coaching drivers when they have an issue with the car is to limmit the amount of data that can be sent back so the engineers do not know what the problem is.

There are more ways than just radio that messages can be sent to drivers.

Edited by Basil B

I agree on the rules need to be consistent ...but also no driver should get any advantage by breaking the rules, Mercedes and Nico still have 15 points more than if Nico's gear box gave out, I know it was not Nico to blame but he got 18 points he would not have.

Taking 3 points away does not address the problem, what next: Engineer to Driver "Do not give the place back, you will get a 10 second penalty but we calculate at the finish you will be 11 seconds ahead" whistling.gif

Possibly one way to address the problem of engineers coaching drivers when they have an issue with the car is to limmit the amount of data that can be sent back so the engineers do not know what the problem is.

There are more ways than just radio that messages can be sent to drivers.

Engineer to Driver "Do not give the place back, you will get a 10 second penalty but we calculate at the finish you will be 11 seconds ahead"

Wouldn't that also be considered driver assistance? In which case another 10 seconds? ;-)

Mercedes have withdrawn their appeal after driver Nico Rosberg was penalised by 10 seconds during the British Grand Prix, which was won by Lewis Hamilton.

The German, 31, was adjudged to have broken radio transmission rules and was demoted from second to third place.
Mercedes were found to have gone beyond the degree permitted to help a driver solve a technical problem.
The team said in a statement they "accept the stewards' interpretations of the regulations and their decision".

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36768573

One thing I learned on Sunday from the commentary's was, that that corner kerbs were introduced to answer driver safety concerns. Now they complain when the kerbs cause a problem when they misuse the kerbs.

To me the rule is plain daft.......... engineers monitor everything on the cars, and if there is a Technical problem surly that is one of the reasons why there employed.. ? are the drivers Race Drivers ? or must they also be Technical Engineers ?

​We have seen many a time and with different teams a Engineer telling the Driver to switch the engine off... surly that is the same ?

If the drivers are to know all the Technical Engineers get paid to do, maybe it time for the drivers to be replaced with Robots ?

Few races back then both Mercedes crashed and were out of the Race, maybe if the Engineer telling the Driver to switch the engine into the correct mode would have prevented the accident., but for the daft radio rules..

Simple solution take the radio [car to pits] out of the cars = no one will break any daft rules

Cut out the radios, back to the Pit Boards...

If they need to tell the driver something then signal the driver to pit.

Considering only a small percentage of radio conversations are released by race control, by releasing this race control is making it public that some drivers and teams are pushing the limits and even over stepping the mark.

Wounder if all teams are able to listen into the talk and instructions of other teams?

Edited by Basil B

Cut out the radios, back to the Pit Boards...

If they need to tell the driver something then signal the driver to pit.

This would be a clear solution.

Or if they wish to use the radios, there could be pre-recorded soundbites by FIA, which are played to the driver with pressing a button.

- "Danger! Accident ahead. Slow down!"

- "Box, box, box"

- "Your teammate is faster than you"

Then again, I would miss Kimitalk, when he knows what he is doing :)

Well now that the teams know the penalty (10s) for breaking this rule I think they will make strategic decisions on when it is beneficial to break it. Mercedes could afford to break this rule multiple times a race without consequences considering they are typically way ahead of the pack. Essentially the decision becomes ... is this driver advice going to gain us or prevent us loosing at least 10s, if so go ahead and break the rule.

Edited by Aussie69

I suppose the best solution is if the car is about to breakdown on the track and the driver is told how to keep the car going they should have to pit immediately.

Would not been a lot of good in the Mercedes case as a gearbox box full of nothing... Best solution stop in middle of road just before the end of the Race ?

I suppose the best solution is if the car is about to breakdown on the track and the driver is told how to keep the car going they should have to pit immediately.

Would not been a lot of good in the Mercedes case as a gearbox box full of nothing... Best solution stop in middle of road just before the end of the Race ?

Rules tightened for this w/end.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17117698/fia-tightens-team-radio-rules-ahead-hungary

Second red flags during Q1 after Ericsson's crash.

This is going to be a long qualification.

It's great thought that the cars got to the track, even if the conditions were not perfect.

Love this question...bet it stung a bit ...wounder if anyone gave a little smile ...

Q: (Agris Lauzinieks – Kapitals) Nico, as a leader this season and your contract just being signed now, how can it be justified that you are earning less than Lewis?

NR: How do you know that?

Q: I can feel it

NR: Well you need to check your feelings maybe. I don’t want to talk about such details.

Edited by JAS21