Grabtaxi coming to CM on Dec 14th

JomtienEats

Will be completely useless, same as in Pattaya, as Taxis in CM never use the meters and they will not do so in the future. It only works in BKK, but even there, the number of GrabTaxi drivers is small, compared to Kuala Lumpur, HCMC, Manila and the likes.

the private GrabCar system that has been introduced to BKK too, would make a lot more sense as you will exactly know what you pay when ordering a car. an UBER kind-of thing....

JomtienEats said "I'm very hopeful this will lead to dramatic improvements." I doubt it because we have been to down this path before, more than once. Drivers have banded together in the past to use metered taxis and it usually lasts a few weeks or a month before these guys are 'enlightened' on how things work in CM.

Edited by kanook

These taxi apps are changing the taxi business worldwide and there is a huge land-grab going on now between Uber, GrabTaxi and Lyft for new cities. These are multi-billion dollar companies and they have deep pockets to keep pushing their services. They are the only hope to get a functioning taxi service in the parts of Thailand that have long standing problems, places like Chiang Mai.

Will be completely useless, same as in Pattaya, as Taxis in CM never use the meters and they will not do so in the future. It only works in BKK, but even there, the number of GrabTaxi drivers is small, compared to Kuala Lumpur, HCMC, Manila and the likes.

the private GrabCar system that has been introduced to BKK too, would make a lot more sense as you will exactly know what you pay when ordering a car. an UBER kind-of thing....

I use Grabtaxi 8 or 9 times a week here in Pattaya albeit during the day to get from work site to work site. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a car, the drivers are always smart, speak a reasonable amount of English and the cars are always spotless and well air conditioned. I know exactly how much I need to pay, get a receipt into my email about 20 minutes after the ride. I have also used Grabcar in Phuket and had the same experience.

I use Grabtaxi 8 or 9 times a week here in Pattaya albeit during the day to get from work site to work site. I have never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a car, the drivers are always smart, speak a reasonable amount of English and the cars are always spotless and well air conditioned. I know exactly how much I need to pay, get a receipt into my email about 20 minutes after the ride. I have also used Grabcar in Phuket and had the same experience.

Spoilsport! Most people here want to be miserable, negative and cynical and then you come along being all upbeat and positive. Very inconsiderate of you.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I'm still waiting for a CM meter taxi to turn the meter on.

It is apprently compulsory to have a meter fitted otherwise no licence to operate.

It is however not compulsory to actually turn it on...makes complete sense.

I use taxis in CM regularly. But I have never had the same difficultly negotiating a reasonable fare as I have experienced in BKK where they do have meters but almost always refuse to use them. I simply refuse to take a cab on BKK if they can't be arsed using the meter. I have a couple of drivers in CM on speed dial, and pass their numbers on to overseas visitors too. I have not heard any complaints from them. However I can't say that I've had any luck calling the cab company direct. It's definitely worth keeping a good drivers number if you are going to be a regular customer in CM!

It is apprently compulsory to have a meter fitted otherwise no licence to operate.

I use taxis in CM regularly. But I have never had the same difficultly negotiating a reasonable fare as I have experienced in BKK where they do have meters but almost always refuse to use them. I simply refuse to take a cab on BKK if they can't be arsed using the meter. I have a couple of drivers in CM on speed dial, and pass their numbers on to overseas visitors too. I have not heard any complaints from them. However I can't say that I've had any luck calling the cab company direct. It's definitely worth keeping a good drivers number if you are going to be a regular customer in CM!

Care to share those numbers w me in a PM? Thanks!

I don't understand. The only time I need a taxi is to and from CM airport, and I've never had a problem obtaining one.

Agree, and I always use the CM AOT taxis, good fare to my village, polite and careful drivers, used them many times, never been asked for a tip, but I do give one.

But there are lots of other folks who want a taxi from hundreds of CM locations to hundreds of CM locations. The few times I've hailed one the meter is broken or just refusal to use it and outrageous fares. I wait for my tuk-tuk man to pick me up.

Regarding grabtaxi one thing to be careful of. In Bkk lots of taxis not part of the grabtaxi system got hold of the grabtaxi stickers then after hailed journey completed demanded 50?Baht more. When queried they just point at the sticker saying 'grabtaxi'...

Care to share those numbers w me in a PM? Thanks!

I don't have a taxi phone number but I do have a very reliable tuk-tuk guy who only asks for reasonable fares, pleasant guy, careful driver, and he speaks about intermediate+ level English. He has lots of regulars to take kids to school, pick them up etc. PM me if you want his name and number.

A little confused here other than putting more vehicles on the road what is there to gain.

Do they drive around like a tuck tuck or songthaew looking for riders? If you have to call them can you not call other companies. Are they going to be cheaper than say a 30 baht songthaew ride. Do you have to negotiate prices with them or are they like the ones at the air port and the air port Mall.

Speaking only for myself almost every place I go I can get a tuck tuck for 100 baht or less. What is their bottom line fare going to be. For example we pay 150 baht occasionally for a Taxi at the airport Mall when we have done a lot of shopping. Never a question asked. I think it is just 140 baht but I have lately been just giving them 150 baht when use them. I am in the Night Bazaar area

Just seems to me that to make a real difference there would have to be an awful lot of them at a cheap price.

• 3 weeks later...

So its live now. And I'm reading some reports, Night Bazaar to Nimman, or say Old city to Airport both came out to 60 to 70 baht range.

Good to know. Though I will say that I went to download the app and I got a lot of feedback that it's now FUBAR. Any other experiences with this?

Golly! It's an app based taxi dispatch service that promises to use the meter plus a small fee. Why not give it a try before bitching about it?

UberX is the best system/service in Thailand but unlikely to come to Chiang Mai because it directly challenges existing businesses.

Grabtaxi uses taxis already in Chiang Mai. It's not a taxi company.

Golly! It's an app based taxi dispatch service that promises to use the meter plus a small fee. Why not give it a try before bitching about it?

UberX is the best system/service in Thailand but unlikely to come to Chiang Mai because it directly challenges existing businesses.

I use GrabTaxi all the time when in Bangkok. It's a terrific service. I really hope it makes ground in CNX.

would you kindly PM those Numbers to me? Thank you.

And the Grabtaxi guy just bangs his head on the wall while reading this............................ :)

Edited by ricklev

I use GrabTaxi all the time when in Bangkok. It's a terrific service. I really hope it makes ground in CNX.

I spent the past 2 years living in BKK, and GrabTaxi was hit or miss. *When* it works, its really great. Decent drivers, meters always turned on, no scams, no BS.....

However, the issue is that the drivers have the option to accept or not. Alot of the times, if you were going somewhere where there might be traffic, (e.g. Sukhumwit, Khao Sarn Rd, Silom, etc), they would all simply not accept and you would get the message saying no taxis available. This happened probably 80+% of the time, especially in the evenings.

After trying GrabTaxi in Chiang Mai, it looks like its also going to be an issue here. Not enough available taxis and the ones that are available will be extremely picky about which fares they accept :(

-Mestizo

post-16307-0-37443300-1451467521_thumb.p

post-16307-0-66956900-1451467536_thumb.p

And the Grabtaxi guy just bangs his head on the wall while reading this............................ :)

My experience exactly. Complete waste of time. Ended up deleting the app along with EaziTaxi.

Short trips or jams, never any response. Very picky about the fares that they respond to. Ended up wasting more time piddling about inputting info into GT than I benefited getting taxis from it.

Finally another day I tried to pre-book a taxi at 10:00 to go to the Airport at 11:40. No chance. After more piddling about inputting info I got the response that pre-booked taxis must be booked two hour in advance. Deleted the app after that. Useless. Instead I called down to condo reception and got the guys there to call a taxi up from the radios they have. Sure a phone call might be less techy than a flashy app but at least it bleedin' works!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Edited by Pick of Penang

Yes. Uber in Bangkok is much much better than Grab taxi. Its reached a point where I never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes in central Bangkok.

I never use Grabtaxi anymore as its no longer a necessary alternative to Uber.

However, it might work in Chiang Mai because according to the Citylife article they are or will be charging 50 baht on top of the meter and because of who the owner of the new taxi coop is.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Uber in Bangkok is much much better than Grab taxi. Its reached a point where I never have to wait more than 5-10 minutes in central Bangkok.

I never use Grabtaxi anymore as its no longer a necessary alternative to Uber.

However, it might work in Chiang Mai because according to the Citylife article they are or will be charging 50 baht on top of the meter and because of who the owner of the new taxi coop is.

Exactly, this is why I prefer UberX and GrabCar Economy all the way.

Ignoring the old adage of "once (or in this case ten times) bitten, twice shy" I thought I'd give Grab Taxi a try in CM, just to see if it's better than the Bangkok experience. Absolutely not. Total waste of time.

Tried to book couple of nights ago for a next day pick up for a friend to go to the airport "Oh no, sorry, we couldn't find you a driver". Tried again next morning. Same. So, called a CM taxi hotline instead. Taxi arrived within 10 mins.

So if that's Grab Taxi's grand entry to the Chiang Mai area it's fallen flat on its face for me. I'll give it a miss. Simply not worth wasting the time and effort inputting the details. Delete again.

Sent using Tapatalk