UK police say stabbing treated as 'terrorist incident'

Jonathan Fairfield

UK police say stabbing treated as 'terrorist incident'

LONDON (AP) — A stabbing at a London Underground station is being treated as "terrorist incident," the London police said Saturday.

The London police counterterror command said in a statement that it is investigating the incident at Leytonstone Underground station in east London in which a man was threatening people with a knife at around 7 p.m. (1900 GMT; 2 p.m. EST). One person sustained serious injuries and two other received minor injuries.

One person was arrested. Police said a stun gun was used.

"We are treating this as a terrorist incident. I would urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant," said Commander Richard Walton, who leads the counter-terrorism unit. "The threat from terrorism remains at severe, which means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.

Police appealed to anyone near the attack and who might have photos or video of the incident to contact police.

The stabbing comes only days after Britain's Parliament gave overwhelming approval to authorizing the military to conduct airstrikes on Islamic State group targets in Syria.

Several British newspapers reported that eyewitnesses to the incident said that the man shouted "This is for Syria," but police declined to comment on any reports.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-06

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What else were they expecting to happen? Enemy combatants must be interned or deported until the war against Islam has been won, or at least a stalemate accepted whereby they stay in their country and we get ours back.

Apart from punishing this muslim, I want to see the govt personnel responsible for importing this time-bomb severely punished. It is not good enough to say we weren't warned, or other excuses. I, and many many others have repeatedly warned that bringing people that's raison d'etre is to kill infidels(us in other words) will end in tears.

Doesnt take much to be called a terror attack these days. A stabbing in the underground on a Saturday night.

I guess if someone abuses me for not being muslim can also be considered a terrorist attack, but kind of lessens the impact of serious attacks when they start using the term for such things.

If it was in the US the guy would have shot a dozen or so.

I agree with a comment above - there were probably ten other stabbings in London on Saturday night and non of them called terrorist attacks

Good to see the attacker brought down by well trained officers using only stun guns, kept alive so hopefully the authorities can get good intel out of him.

If this was in America the attacker would be dead as would scores of witnesses with trigger happy police firing at will to try and stop the situation.

That said, the attacker would also have been heavily armed in the States as just about anyone can get hold of a weapon it seems.

I agree with a comment above - there were probably ten other stabbings in London on Saturday night and non of them called terrorist attacks

Good to see the attacker brought down by well trained officers using only stun guns, kept alive so hopefully the authorities can get good intel out of him.

If this was in America the attacker would be dead as would scores of witnesses with trigger happy police firing at will to try and stop the situation.

That said, the attacker would also have been heavily armed in the States as just about anyone can get hold of a weapon it seems.

Yes, also many of the bystanders would have been dead because the terrorist would have gone to a Walmart and bought himself some guns.

Here he had to settle for a knife, so nobody died.

Police acted quickly , although they shouldn't have used a stun gun on the guy .....

shooting him would be more in line with the seriousness of his actions.

I agree with you, but were the police carrying guns, I'm not too sure. It said on the news that their stun guns were inaffective for quite a while, which asks the question 'many more people could have been injured or worse'

Time for the West to drop the "lone wolf" rubbish and start applying pressure on Moslems in the West until they step up to the plate and decide to live within the laws and social mores of a civilised country. A civilised country that they were very happy to move to and claim all manner of economic benefits from.

simple1, on 06 Dec 2015 - 08:28, said:

Someone was shouting "you ffing idiot, you ain't no Muslim, you ain't no Muslim". Well done that man

Does that imply that the man was shouting Muslimy things, other than '' This is for Syria '' ?

I have not read any reports that the man was shouting "Muslimy things" other than what you stated above.

Look at the stupid woman on the video trying to get involved as the terrorist is being restrained on the ground.

What else were they expecting to happen? Enemy combatants must be interned or deported until the war against Islam has been won, or at least a stalemate accepted whereby they stay in their country and we get ours back.

Apart from punishing this muslim, I want to see the govt personnel responsible for importing this time-bomb severely punished. It is not good enough to say we weren't warned, or other excuses. I, and many many others have repeatedly warned that bringing people that's raison d'etre is to kill infidels(us in other words) will end in tears.

Where did you read that he was a Muslim?

Who are enemy combatants?

Briggsy, on 06 Dec 2015 - 08:51, said:
SgtRock, on 06 Dec 2015 - 08:46, said:
simple1, on 06 Dec 2015 - 08:28, said:simple1, on 06 Dec 2015 - 08:28, said:

Someone was shouting "you ffing idiot, you ain't no Muslim, you ain't no Muslim". Well done that man

Does that imply that the man was shouting Muslimy things, other than '' This is for Syria '' ?

I have not read any reports that the man was shouting "Muslimy things" other than what you stated above.

Look at the stupid woman on the video trying to get involved as the terrorist is being restrained on the ground.

Agreed.

That is why I asked the question.

Lee Rigby was killed in a knife attack, how would you categorize that one?

Edited by sungod

Why aren,t the everyday muslims taking care of this problem ? They must know who the loose cannons are. Never a clearer case of "If they are not part of the solution they are part of the problem" !!

They are biding their time quietly for the most part. Sitting back smug with tacit approval, waiting to enjoy the victory when Sharia - the only true law - is implemented.

Why aren,t the everyday muslims taking care of this problem ? They must know who the loose cannons are. Never a clearer case of "If they are not part of the solution they are part of the problem" !!

There are plenty of UK Muslims in the police and the armed forces risking their lives trying to take care of this problem. Why didn't the good Catholics take care of the IRA problem? In the US the good Catholics were funding them. What have you done to help find a solution? Talked shit about Muslims to anyone prepared to put up with it no doubt.

So people were still laying their on the floor bleeding out while police did a song and dance with a stun gun? When seconds make the difference between life and death, it's clear where the police's interest lie--preserving the life of the attacker at the potential cost of his victims.

Doesnt take much to be called a terror attack these days. A stabbing in the underground on a Saturday night.

I guess if someone abuses me for not being muslim can also be considered a terrorist attack, but kind of lessens the impact of serious attacks when they start using the term for such things.

Indeed, just because he shouted 'this is for Syria' doesn't mean the left can't still pretend to be baffled by the incident. Given time mental illness, workplace violence or a host of other unlikely scenarios can deflect from the fact there's been another jihaddist attack.

So people were still laying their on the floor bleeding out while police did a song and dance with a stun gun? When seconds make the difference between life and death, it's clear where the police's interest lie--preserving the life of the attacker at the potential cost of his victims.

A bullet through the cranium would have saved a fortune in court costs and prison food. I suspect you could even fire gold bullets at the perps and it would be more cost effective than current procedures.

Time for the West to drop the "lone wolf" rubbish and start applying pressure on Moslems in the West until they step up to the plate and decide to live within the laws and social mores of a civilised country. A civilised country that they were very happy to move to and claim all manner of economic benefits from.

Though this has been beaten to death but come on muslim community, lets see you in numbers speak out about these un-muslim ppl. We need to hear your voices and see you on the streets siding with us. A few tweets is not good enough.

totally agree "terrorist" is bandied around too easily these days.

totally agree "terrorist" is bandied around too easily these days.

Excuse me, not in San Bernandino.