Overstay blacklisting starts in March

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

Plan!!! Leave 2 days before visa expiry. You must have been here to long? Thinking like a Thai and leaving everything to the last minute!

This guy must be a real cheep Charlie if he is worried about loosing one day on a visa..As duckmandon states "GO ahead of time"

He was probably asking what will happen to people who overstay by one day .

Will they get blacklisted .

• Like 1

... Now fingerprints to tye the person to the data, the passport, etc.

Leave the country, finger prints agian, data base would check, officer would verify and stamp your passport. Database would show that you exited the country. ...

This is how it works in Cambodia - and has for years - all digital/scanned. First time through, they take all your fingerprints. After that, you give them 4 fingerprints of the right hand, and this syncs with your passport. I will see what happens when I show up with my new passport - maybe have to input all my fingerprints, again - and then the two records are connected.

A couple times when I passed through, the system was down - but most times it seems to be working, and fairly quick.

As to "spies" - ever see that old James Bond movie "Diamonds Are Forever" and the fake fingerprints he used? No idea if such a thing exists, but would not be surprised.

Edited by JackThompson

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

Start early. But your question is valid in general. Is there a grace period?
  • Like 1

same old, same old,"we are coming to get you next March" maybe" like when they issue an arrest warrant, "we are coming to get you" TOMORROW" lol !!

Although many things visa wise have changed considerably recently.

Its very probably that these new rules will be implemented

I would imagine there are many 1,000s of overstayers who pay into the economy which will have an adverse effect on the Thai economy if it is put into force it seems one step forward and ten steps backwards

I can just imagine the headlines'Thailand in Recession' Banned overstayers to blame.You must think the Thai economy very weak,if a couple thousand cheap charlis's are going to bring down the chang economy.

• Like 1

It begs the question that apart from hospitalisation, which the immigration can assist with, and maybe a day or two over stay by mis-reading the last legal day you can stay, what is the excuse for overstaying by 3 months? It cant be that you forgot, if so you should be in a care home. So can anyone give me a reasonable reason as to why someone could justifyably overstay by 90 days or more?

Edited by gandalf12
  • Like 1

1. In July 2014, the Immigration Bureau announced on its website that it had sent the following proposal for blacklisting for overstaying to the Ministry of Interior.

Overstay%252520blaclist%252520warning%25

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/745684-still-time-to-clear-your-overstay-without-blacklisting/?p=8146065

2. We do not know whether this is the exact list that the Immigration Bureau really sent to the Ministry.
  3. We do not know what list the Ministry then sent to the Cabinet.
  4. We do not know what list the Cabinet then sent to the Prime Minister for signing, nor whether such list has in fact already been sent to the Prime Minister.
  5. We do not know what list the Prime Minister sent to to appropriate agency at the Royal Court in the form of a draft for a Royal decree, nor whether such draft has in fact already been sent.
  6. The only time when we shall know the exact content of this list will be if and when the alleged Royal Decree on this subject mentioned in post #1 of this topic is published in the Government Gazette.
  • Like 1

So overstayers, Now is really the time to start to get your affairs in order else it will be too late.

Not by a long shot. If you study the difference between turning yourself in or risking arrest, there's not much difference in the blacklist period. This new "promulgation" is lame. People on one year of overstay or over will probably stay on overstay.smile.png

He did say "now" is the time to get your affairs in order, and as of now there is no blacklisting if turning yourself in and paying the overstay fine. Also, I don't agree that there is not much difference in the blacklist period for someone with e.g. a four month overstay, to me there is a significant difference between getting a one year ban and getting a five year ban.

Sophon

Just thinking back to the 80's and how Thailand and the rest of the world once was.

Sometimes I really think how the new world order is changing everything, denying easy travel for everybody is just a part of it.

I talked once to a big yacht owner about visas and stuff and he admitted that he never bothers to go to immigration in the first place and just roams freely within SE Asia.

• Like 2

I suppose these rules are still pretty tame compared to other countries. But this Border Hopping to stay longer doesn't make much sense to me either. I guess I don't really understand that if someone has funds to support himself, and thus obviously not working here, is only 49 years old or younger, and is not married to a Thai, why he can't just go to Immigration and extend his Tourist Visa as long as he wants. But the rules are the rules and should be followed. .

Name just one Western country which can be entered with a tourist visa that can then be endlessly extended .....................coffee1.gif

Canada!

If the woman or man comes on a Tourist Visa and decided to get married while there. If you make an application to stay based on marriage they will not deport you until this is processed. If they agree, which if everything is legal they would, you would never be deported.

Next Question?

• Like 1

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

My friend was at immigration here in Pattaya yesterday. He had to sign a form indicating he understood these new rules. Seems they are instituting this already????

I think it was the same form they have been getting people to sign since May of last year.

I have had to sign it for 2 extension now.

Is this notification in English or Thai?

I think it's all in Thai.

Very few farangs can probably understand what they are signing.

English.

We know that blacklisting is not one of the possible penalties mentioned in the Immigration Act. Another member has already mentioned it in this topic.
We do know that some foreigners have been blacklisted in the past, but not for merely overstaying. Whether this was ordered by the court or by the Immigration Bureau does not seem to be clear. Below is an example of a blacklist stamp in a passport.
Blacklist%252520stamp%25252020130126.jpg
This leads to the question why immigration does not use existing rules and procedures for blacklisting overstayers, if they are intent on blacklisting them. I believe that the limitations imposed by clause 6 of section 12 of the Immigration Act and by Ministerial Regulations based on this clause are the reason.

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom :
6. Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court ; or by a lawful injunction ; or by the judgement of the Court of foreign country , except when the penalty is foe petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.
  • Like 2

Moral of the story, clear your overstay now and start anew before it is too late.

No point debating over whether this new regulation will actually actualize because when it does and place into effect, you will be over your heels...and the next question you will ask is should I then surrender, pay the fine and face the ban or hide under the radar hoping not to get caught ? laugh.png

You wait til late Febuary,the slackers will be on here asking for advice on how to pay their overstay,ect.Some dills just don't get it and never will.

• Like 1

Where did you take that from ?

Yesterday newspaper articles say:

"those who overstay their visa by up to one year will receive a one-year re-entry ban"

I saw nowhere a 90 days period ?

That is exactly what the article says. Up to means, overstay from 0-364 days receives a one year reentry ban.

It begs the question that apart from hospitalisation, which the immigration can assist with, and maybe a day or two over stay by mis-reading the last legal day you can stay, what is the excuse for overstaying by 3 months? It cant be that you forgot, if so you should be in a care home. So can anyone give me a reasonable reason as to why someone could justifyably overstay by 90 days or more?

Please read post #186 on this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877278-overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-march/?p=10175092

Sometimes, sh1t really does happen and your world can be changed around in an instance.

Not everybody out there has a cushion, or even the foresight to plan for a cushion until it is too late.

To hold someone in contempt for spending their money in an attempt to save someone's life rather than using the money to make correct paperwork is more than a bit harsh.

As a note, i have to believe the above post to bring a bit of reality back to this thread.

• Like 1

Please read post #186 on this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877278-overstay-blacklisting-starts-in-march/?p=10175092

Sometimes, sh1t really does happen and your world can be changed around in an instance.

Not everybody out there has a cushion, or even the foresight to plan for a cushion until it is too late.

To hold someone in contempt for spending their money in an attempt to save someone's life rather than using the money to make correct paperwork is more than a bit harsh.

As a note, i have to believe the above post to bring a bit of reality back to this thread.

Whilst I have every sympathy for the poster you referenced - it has to be asked -- how much is it to get an extension of visa or do a quick border run, compared to hospital bills? The priority is to take care of the family, but that does not preclude taking a day out to fix a simple piece of paper.

• Like 2

I just don't get how some people feel happy being trapped inside Thailand...constantly skirting the law... working illegally...Thailand is cool....but...the world is a big place....and if people have the gumption to go live abroad in the first place...how could being trapped inside a country be comforting? I know a guy on like a 3 year overstay who i keep telling 'hey man. The laws are changing. This ultranationalistic military government doesn't want people like us here anymore. Us being foreigners...and you specifically are in the target. Pay the 20k bht and get sorted because some day...some year...you will have to deal with the border...' dood is like 29 or something...skint and doesn't give a damn...i feel bad for him...

Sounds not totally unreasonable, if blacklisting is only applied for those who have overstayed for a year or more and the fine remains a maximum of B20k with no imprisonment, except for those who are unable to pay fines who do one day in lieu of each B200 unpaid fine.

The initial announcement suggests no harsh treatment for those who unavoidably overstay for less than a year due to medical or other reasons.