webfact

RAJABHAKTI SCANDAL
Man taken into custody over his FB post on scandal

ANAPAT DEECHUAY,
SURIYA PATATHAYO,
WASAMON AUDJARINT
THE NATION

30274638-01_big.jpg?1449694674023

BANGKOK: -- A COMPANY employee has been taken into military custody for posting an infographic showing key government and military officials involved in the Rajabhakti Park scandal, which has infuriated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and his deputy General Prawit Wongsuwan.

Thanakorn Siripaiboon, 27, a worker in Samut Prakan province who posted the infographic on Facebook was arrested on Tuesday night. The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)'s legal chief, Maj-General Wijarn Jodtaeng, yesterday lodged a petition with police to charge Thanakorn with lese majeste, sedition and computer crime.

The suspect posted three versions of the graphic, which accused a many senior government officials and it is believed the information is false, Wijarn said.

Deputy national police chief Pol General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul confirmed that the suspect was now in detention.

Prayut said he had ordered the arrest of the man, as he was angry over the post. "He [the suspect] said he just posted it on the Net. I don't know why he has to share such information. It's nonsense," he fumed. Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit said two more suspects would be arrested in connection with the infographic.

The Rajabhakti Park project has become a big scandal, with two of Deputy Defence Minister General Udomdej Sitabutr's former close aides going into hiding since the scandal broke.

In the face of growing public doubts, rumours are doing the rounds, including on social media.

The Facebook post caught the attention of the authorities as it linked the scandal to many Cabinet members such as Udomdej and Prawit, as well as Prayut and his wife.

The scandal made headlines this week when authorities blocked student activists led by Thammasat University student Sirawith Seritiwat from travelling to the park in Prachuap Kiri Khan on an anti-corruption campaign.

Thammasat executives yesterday were strongly criticised for issuing a statement asking the students to stop their activities. Lecturers at the university demanded that the executives respect the students' freedom of expression.

"We are not banning their activities, but we must emphasise that before they engage in any activity, they should first understand the social context," Thammasat rector Somkid Lertpaithoon said yesterday.

Meanwhile, Sirawith said yesterday that military officers had accepted his request to stop frightening his family over his political movements.

Sirawith told The Nation that his mother Patnaree Charnkij, his lawyer Arnon Nampa and some observers accompanied him for the talk with military officers. The request had to be made because his family has encountered both visits and phone calls from military officers since December 4, he said. The officers frequently made inquiries about his whereabouts, asked who funded his movements and why he did not stop his activities, he said.

The Pheu Thai Party, meanwhile, issued a statement demanding that Prayut clear lingering public doubt about the Rajabhakti Park scandal.

"The scandal has affected confidence in the government's anti-corruption policy," the statement said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Man-taken-into-custody-over-his-FB-post-on-scandal-30274638.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-10

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is turning uglier by the day. The PM himself ordered the arrest?

Goes to illustrate what many have been saying since last May: the junta will desperately do anything to protect their position of power.As for reconciliation and moving the country forward? Forget about taking a back seat. Equal treatment under the law, freedom of speech and assembly, and notions of an elected representative government weren't even allowed on the bus.

Damage control? There is corruption all over the world and in the interests of not wanting to become concrete foundations for something, I will say no more! Let's just say corruption is commonplace in Asia and its not something that is going to change any time soon.

Damage control? There is corruption all over the world and in the interests of not wanting to become concrete foundations for something, I will say no more! Let's just say corruption is commonplace in Asia and its not something that is going to change any time soon.

Your statement "...in the interests of not wanting to become concrete foundations for something..." illustrates just how authoritarian the regime has become--that people feel the need to self-censor their comments on a forum for fear of reprisals. A sad state of affairs.

"Prayut said he had ordered the arrest of the man, as he was angry over the post. "He [the suspect] said he just posted it on the Net. I don't know why he has to share such information. It's nonsense,"

So just the same as every Facebook post I ever read before I quit it two blissfully FB free years ago.

How can posting information about corruption be called Lese Majeste???

The posting of information violated the computer crime act.

He pushed the like button on a picture deemed anti monarch. That gave him the second charge of LM. At 27, he most likely did not know he was committing a crime. Another life destroyed over a Facebook post. They need a committee to hold free seminars to make sure very young people and old people understand clearly these 2 laws , as I suspect most of the convicted had no clue they were committing a crime.

I think that this scandal and the juntas heavy handedness of dealing with people asking questions is the beginning of the end for the NCPO.

There will be mass political strife or a counter coup within a year.

Your out of touch with reality, they did it and there getting away with it, your not in the US or Europe now and even then the scandals some how get swept under the carpet.

More and more the classic ' don't do as I do, do as I say ' personality is emerging and I'm very sure it can only get worse in every way possible.

Goes on everywhere, Thai's get it why don't you?

Are you employed by the junta ?

Fall in line, do as you are told and don't dare have an opinion differing from the official line.

Thai getting it is exactly what the elite etc rely on.

I can't see the junta getting less heavy handed - they appear to be turning the screw............and as things get progressively more out of hand one suspects this is the usual reaction of this kind of government.

It surprises me that the authorities seem unaware of how this sort of action will reflect in thw eyes of th international community........it certainly won't inspire confidence in most of their trading partners......

Edited by cumgranosalum

I wonder how safe we are posting on here? it is getting that bad sad.png

I suppose that if posters are within the TVF guidelines and not in breach of any of the current laws/articles there should be no cause for concern.

However, self-censoring and being bullied into silence only empowers tyrants.

seems like we are immune to this......well, i don't post anything but dumb comedy and i'm not in thailand now......but seems like some clowns on here should be busted...

but, just to be safe, everyone send me 100,000 baht and i'll put your member name in a special database to be charged only 40 baht for soup on the street

"...which has infuriated Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and his deputy General Prawit Wongsuwan..."

Well now, that is certainly the last thing anyone would want to do in a country that has lost many of its freedoms and losing more freedoms everyday.

You are NOT safe. Anything posted is subject to interpretation. That includes "liking" posts which express attitudes deemed illegal.

I wonder how safe we are posting on here? it is getting that bad sad.png

Will the US ambassador chime in this matter also soon?

I read somewhere he is being investigated for LM too.

From the OP: "The Facebook post caught the attention of the authorities as it linked the scandal to many Cabinet members

such as Udomdej and Prawit, as well as Prayut and his wife."

Maybe that is the reason for the LM charge?