UK expats for EU exit

one UK specific example where a 2/3 majority is required:

a motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 650)

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/

i'm sure that's not the only one!

You refer to a vote of no confidence which would be unlikely to be successful, the combined opposition could muster 434 votes, so it would only brought as a voting tactic without any chance of success.

"unlike to be successful"... "could muster"... "without any chance"... = nothinjg but blah blah²!

i provided evidence that there are UK specific decisions which require more than a simple majority. period!

answering to:

please cite the legal precedent in the UK to support such an absurd statement

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boris and Farage , have done runners.

Fine mess , they have put us in.

Boris was stabbed in the back by Gove. Et Tu Gove.

I am not sure if you had noticed but Nigel Farage is not a member of the UK parliament but is a member of the EU parliament where he will remain until the UK leaves the EU.

He has spent 15 years or more trying to get the UK out of the EU and had done a good job.

A referendum was held and the result was a vote in favour of the UK leaving.

This is called a democratic vote and should be respected by ALL of those who voted, win or lose.

If you cannot accept that then perhaps you should think again about democracy in which the majority vote is accepted.

please don't forget that in a "real" democracy decisions with huge and far reaching consequences need a majority of two thirds or even 75%. the Brexit margin was very low.

" need a majority of two thirds or even 75% "

please cite the legal precedent in the UK to support such an absurd statement

I believe he used his personal definition of a "real" democracy.

I don't believe that the UK needs any lessons in responsible democracy particularly from some Continental Europeans who have only recently been exposed to the concept after democratic countries shed a considerable amount of blood to give it to them.

That being said, this Brexit negativity is somewhat overblown. It would have been far better if the UK stayed in. Unfortunately, France, Belgium and Italy were never going to allow the UK to defend itself from the abuses of its system. At the heart of it, is the disgusting tyrant Junckers. He's had it in for the UK for years and provoking the UK was his intent. He couldn't run the wannabe nation of Luxembourg, but he could turn it in to the EU's money laundering and tax avoidance mecca. He has never forgiven the UK for its alleged involvement the in exposing of his disgusting activities.

The issue of Brexit is not over. Several EU friends of the UK support the UK. The most vocal is Poland. It has economic reasons to do so, but the Poles are loyal allies despite all the rude jokes and comments made about them. Both the Dutch and Danes are quietly supporting the UK. It is only Junckers and the basket case countries of France and Belgium and the unreliable Italians who are pushing for a quick exit. Hopefully the German finance minister, the brilliant Dr, Wolfgang Schauble prevails with the logical Dr. Merkel and a revised deal is made. I am certain that there will be a new deal. The support for Brexit has evaporated since the vote and a new deal would give both sides an honourable way out of this mess and more importantly address the concerns the UK has and which are shared by many EU member nations. Dr, Merkel knows this. She's a scientist and understands facts. The Germans will act to save the EU despite the best efforts of the French and Belgians and the crappy little city states in between to stick it to the UK. As for Italy, if it values its trade relations with the USA and Canada it will support the German efforts at making a new deal. with the UK. Europe cannot sustain the negaive fallout if the EU starts to splinter.

It might happen as described. But for sure upcoming deals will not be as good as in the past

This whole mess was caused by the EU,wanting to control

people's lives more and more,making laws that affect us,but

which we have no control over.been told what to do.

It started as a Common Market,a trading group,which was

O.K.,but which has morphed into the monster it is today,

providing jobs for the boys & girls,the corruption that it

fosters would put Thailand to shame,they will keep on

expanding as the Brussels bureaucrats love power,next

to come in will be Turkey,just pleased the U.K. will not

be in the club when that occurs.

The doom and gloomers,think this is the end of the U.K.

bullshit,Europe needs us more than we need them,they

export more to the U.K. than we do to them,theres a whole

World out there,and now the U.K. is free to make its own

deals.they can keep their straight Cucumbers,and shove

them where the sun don't shine.

I am not against European peoples,without Poles,Britain

would have a shortage of Plumbers, everyone seems

to be having the wool pulled over their eyes,the bureaucrats

are looking to create a United States of Europe,where

everything will be decided in Brussels,EU army next.

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

So far adrift of reality to be laughable.

Boris and Farage , have done runners.

Fine mess , they have put us in.

Boris was stabbed in the back by Gove. Et Tu Gove.

I am not sure if you had noticed but Nigel Farage is not a member of the UK parliament but is a member of the EU parliament where he will remain until the UK leaves the EU.

He has spent 15 years or more trying to get the UK out of the EU and had done a good job.

A referendum was held and the result was a vote in favour of the UK leaving.

This is called a democratic vote and should be respected by ALL of those who voted, win or lose.

If you cannot accept that then perhaps you should think again about democracy in which the majority vote is accepted.

please don't forget that in a "real" democracy decisions with huge and far reaching consequences need a majority of two thirds or even 75%. the Brexit margin was very low.

So in your "real" democracy the winning political party needs 2/3rds or 75% of the votes cast to become the ruling party otherwise it is not a democratic decision.

Scotland in the Brexit referendum did not get 2/3rds or 75% of the votes cast, even in Scotland.

Nor did they get that amount when they had their first try at leaving the UK. and now they want to try again.

What would happen if they only get 52% of the votes to leave against 48% to stay in the UK. Would the SNP accept that as good enough?

what part of my comment is it you (pretend) to not understand? coffee1.gif

we all know that little boys, age 8-10, are quite curious. they are known to pee on an anthill and watch with great interest what happens. today i'll try something similar and claim

-that the United Kingdom will not exit the European Union

and

-that the often proclaimed failure and dissolution of the European Union is wishful thinking.

gigglem.gif

we all know that little boys, age 8-10, are quite curious. they are known to pee on an anthill and watch with great interest what happens. today i'll try something similar and claim

-that the United Kingdom will not exit the European Union

and

-that the often proclaimed failure and dissolution of the European Union is wishful thinking.

gigglem.gif

And it's attitudes like that from stuck up Europeans that will continue to flame the fires of a Brexit. Any European that genuinely wants the UK to remain would be far better off saying nothing, otherwise they will fan the flames of the xenophobic Brexiters. Edited by RabC
And it's attitudes like that from stuck up Europeans that will continue to flame the fires of a Brexit. Any European that genuinely wants the UK to remain would be far better off saying nothing, otherwise they will fan the flames of the xenophobic Brexiters.

To be honest, your comment equally shows a stubborn and ignorant attitude, inept of accepting or dissecting opposing views and opinions. Something I, unfortunately, only came across too often (but luckily not always) when listening to the arguments by the proponents of the UK to leave. I find this rather sad ...

And it's attitudes like that from stuck up Europeans that will continue to flame the fires of a Brexit. Any European that genuinely wants the UK to remain would be far better off saying nothing, otherwise they will fan the flames of the xenophobic Brexiters.

To be honest, your comment equally shows a stubborn and ignorant attitude, inept of accepting or dissecting opposing views and opinions. Something I, unfortunately, only came across too often (but luckily not always) when listening to the arguments by the proponents of the UK to leave. I find this rather sad ...

My stubborn attitude comes from the fact that the UK now faces a crisis and everyone no matter which side needs to knuckle down and work through it, what is not needed is sniping from others who have no involvement. You may well see it as ignorant but I believe the UK needs to be left alone to sort its issues without unhelpful input from "Told You So" Europeans. So yes Butt OUT

My stubborn attitude comes from the fact that the UK now faces a crisis and everyone no matter which side needs to knuckle down and work through it, what is not needed is sniping from others who have no involvement. You may well see it as ignorant but I believe the UK needs to be left alone to sort its issues without unhelpful input from "Told You So" Europeans. So yes Butt OUT

I take it you would have had no problem if people where pointing out the raging success of the Brexit result had share prices sky rocketed, property funds shot up and sales and business contracts were flowing into the UK at an accelerated rate.

Its not a case of 'I told you so' - its a case of yes the warnings were clear and ignored - Now own the problem caused by Brexit.

That 'we all have to work through it' is no excuse of letting Brexit off the hook.

I take it you would have had no problem if people where pointing out the raging success of the Brexit result had share prices sky rocketed, property funds shot up and sales and business contracts were flowing into the UK at an accelerated rate.

Its not a case of 'I told you so' - its a case of yes the warnings were clear and ignored - Now own the problem caused by Brexit.

That 'we all have to work through it' is no excuse of letting Brexit off the hook.

I didn't support Brexit but that was the decision of the country, better to knuckle down and over come the problems rather than point fingers and say told you so. Siting on high horses and gloating helps no one, in fact it's rather small minded. Edited by RabC

I didn't support Brexit but that was the decision of the country, better to knuckle down and over come the problems rather than point fingers and say told you so. Siting on high horses and gloating helps no one, in fact it's rather small minded.

Nothing to do with sitting on a horse and gloating, everything to do with making sure that Brexit supporters 'own the outcome of their decision'.

We need to keep this in mind when the search for a 'scapegoat' starts.

I didn't support Brexit but that was the decision of the country, better to knuckle down and over come the problems rather than point fingers and say told you so. Siting on high horses and gloating helps no one, in fact it's rather small minded.

Nothing to do with sitting on a horse and gloating, everything to do with making sure that Brexit supporters 'own the outcome of their decision'.

That 'blame culture' you have will hold you in good stead in Thailand.

So that's where Farage has sloped off to!

I actually think the blame culture is one of the reasons for the Brexit vote, things aren't going too well so blame someone/something else. Maybe Guesthouse is a closet brexiteer.

gbp . continues to fall , at it,s present rate , 40 bht @ xmas .

we will be begging forgiveness , from EU.

Messers, Bonkers and Farage , deserted the out voters .

You ain,t smiling now ..

gbp . continues to fall , at it,s present rate , 40 bht @ xmas .

we will be begging forgiveness , from EU.

Messers, Bonkers and Farage , deserted the out voters .

You ain,t smiling now ..

Would I be wrong in thinking that you are a banker or a financial trader?

Or are you simply guessing?

How could Nigel Farage desert the UK voters?

He is an MEP only, he wasn't on the official Brexit team and in the UK he is simply a private citizen, just the same as the 17 million people who voted for a Brexit and the 15 million odd who voted to remain.

You clearly do not understand how the British Constitution works, or the first past the post system, or how a vote of no confidence works, you can go and read what it says in guide to Parliament but then you have to understand what you have read and remember this the UK way, the way it is, its not a continental model. If people dont turn out to vote thats up to them, the upper limit in theory is 100% turn out, most GEs are won with less than 40% voting for the winning side of whatever turnout, there is no 66 or 75% to validate it. It has its faults but thats the way it is.

regards Worgeordie

So what is the reality of the EU? Primary function, major benefactors, etc.?

regards Worgeordie

So what is the reality of the EU? Primary function, major benefactors, etc.?

You won't get an answer from that poster to that question.

David Cameron could not provide a satisfactory answer either.

You clearly do not understand how the British Constitution works, or the first past the post system, or how a vote of no confidence works, you can go and read what it says in guide to Parliament but then you have to understand what you have read and remember this the UK way, the way it is, its not a continental model. If people dont turn out to vote thats up to them, the upper limit in theory is 100% turn out, most GEs are won with less than 40% voting for the winning side of whatever turnout, there is no 66 or 75% to validate it. It has its faults but thats the way it is.

I think before lecturing people on British constitutional law you should first read and inwardly digest what it says about who has tge authority to make laws, enter into and exit from treaties.

The referendum result has no legal authority over parliament.

either you "clearly" don't understand simple English or "clearly" your logical thinking is impaired. but no worries! a lot of Brexiteers are suffering from lack of logic when it concerns EU-membership.

gigglem.gif

either you "clearly" don't understand simple English or "clearly" your logical thinking is impaired. but no worries! a lot of Brexiteers are suffering from lack of logic when it concerns EU-membership.

gigglem.gif

There is precedent for the UK parliament requiring a certain threshold of votes cast rather than a simple majority to win the day. This was the situation for the Scottish devolution referendum of 1979, which had a remarkably similar result to that of the recent EU vote..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1979

'An amendment to the Act stipulated that it would be repealed if fewer than 40% of the total electorate voted Yes in the referendum. The result was that 51.6% supported the proposal, but with a turnout of 64%, this represented only 32.9% of the registered electorate. The Act was subsequently repealed.'

Thus the Act was scrapped and devolution did not go forward at that time.

Interestingly, if a similar condition had applied in the recent EU vote, with a requirement that a change of the status quo needed a minimum of 40% of the electorate(Leavers gained 37.5%), then the Remainers would have won the day despite, as with the 1979 referendum, a majority voting for a change.

My stubborn attitude is that more than 50% wins the vote.

Even if only 3 people turned out to vote.

the vote was a skirmish or at best a battle, out of many battles to come, that was won.

Straw clutching now. Unless of course Merkel gets her way and Juncker is sh!tcanned as the EU wakes up to the fact that it's no longer business as usual.

My stubborn attitude is that more than 50% wins the vote.

Even if only 3 people turned out to vote.

the vote was a skirmish or at best a battle, out of many battles to come, that was won.

Straw clutching now. Unless of course Merkel gets her way and Juncker is sh!tcanned as the EU wakes up to the fact that it's no longer business as usual.

the battles i referred to are UK internal ones till rational thinking prevails and Brexit is secretly buried with a last "but we showed them!" i apologise for being a pain in the àrse wai2.gif