British woman, 28, killed after motorbike rammed by Phuket pickup truck on Patong Hill

Jonathan Fairfield

British woman, 28, killed after motorbike rammed by Phuket pickup truck on Patong Hill

Eakkapop Thongtub

1449905241_1.jpg

PHUKET: A 28-year-old British woman has died from neck and head injuries sustained in a traffic accident that took place this morning on the notorious Patong Hill.

At 11.30am Kathu police were alerted by Kusoldham Patong rescue workers that a foreign woman with a broken neck had been transported to Patong Hospital.

The accident, which involved a pickup truck ramming into a motorbike, occurred along Phra Baramee Rd, near the entrance to Soi Kuan Yang on the descent into Patong city.

When officers arrived to the scene they found a black Toyota Vigos pickup truck with Phuket plates parked on the side of the road, with slight damage to its bumper.

On the ground next to the pickup was a smashed red and white Honda Wave motorbike with Nakhon Pathom plates.

A witness told police that there were two women on the motorbike, who'd just left a nearby Family Mart on the opposite side of the road, and had attempted to make a U-turn, to head back in the direction of Patong when they were finally rammed by the pickup truck from behind.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British national dies in Patong Hill crash

post-137452-0-09192300-1449910000_thumb.

PHUKET: A British national died and another was injured after pick-up truck hit their motorbike on the notoriously dangerous Patong Hill this morning.

According to rescuer workers at the scene, the motorbike carrying the two women exited a small soi onto the main road when the pick-up truck slammed into them.

The two women were taken to Patong Hospital. One was pronounced dead on arrival.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-12

· Phuket driver to be charged for death of German

· British woman, 28, killed after motorbike rammed by Phuket pickup truck on Patong Hill

Now I wouldn’t be surprised if the TAT is miss entering this to their statistics as collateral damage or some kind of friendly fire…

Lots of inexperience young tourist thinking easy to drive scooter here without helmet many times can see they have no idea how to drive...... RIP for a girl.

One report said they may have been working as touts. Brochures found.

So maybe not newly arrived, inexperienced tourists

Lots of inexperience young tourist thinking easy to drive scooter here without helmet many times can see they have no idea how to drive...... RIP for a girl.

Automatically blame the tourist on the bike <deleted>, I hate know-it all- guess- merchants, In October I was hit head on in Patong on a bend by a fat Italian riding his scooter on MY side of the road, accidents can happen anywhere anytime, and BTW I had never up to that point had a bike to Vehicle accident in 43 years, and always wear an helmet .

A witness told police that there were two women on the motorbike, who'd just left a nearby Family Mart on the opposite side of the road, and had attempted to make a U-turn, to head back in the direction of Patong when they were finally rammed by the pickup truck from behind.

I have always thought that was a stupid place for a Family Mart right off the busy hill road. Not really many nearby homes, seen many bikes crossing over the busy road .... just crazy.

RIP the Brit lady ....

A lot of foreign tourists come here without proper motorbike experience, unprepared for the style of driving and road rules in Thailand, thinking it`s going to be a joyride where a person does not have to follow the laws as in their own countries, then come unstuck and as in this case often with fatal consequences.

One report said they may have been working as touts. Brochures found.

So maybe not newly arrived, inexperienced tourists

Although I agree there are many inexperienced tourists who simply jump on scooters here. More could be said for the inexperienced and dangerous Thai drivers who have absolutely no idea of road rules, safety or even how to drive with care and wait for it.... attention. There is nothing wrong with this hill, it's the way people drive that is the problem. I feel for the girls and their families.

A report with very little facts but so many already know who to blame.

The "Thai killer" is to blame seems majority rule.

How ridiculous that is.

The only substantial info: "the motorbike carrying the two women exited a small soi onto the main road when the pick-up truck slammed into them.".

That leaves a lot to imagination.

How can you judge from this ? wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

HOping the killer will spend 25 years in jail. How ever the law is what they decide it is today. Article 44 prevails.

Comment despicable of a person who judges and delivers a verdict without knowing the circumstances of this accident.

HOping the killer will spend 25 years in jail. How ever the law is what they decide it is today. Article 44 prevails.

How do you know it was the pick up driver's fault?

Could the bike not have driven in front of him.

Accidents do happen.

Certainly not a killer.

No such thing as an "accident" - I think we should wait for the evaluation...........except it won't happen

No helmets, and on the wrong side of the road, facing the wrong way ....... doesn't look like the pickup drivers fault to me.

Oh, and no dent in the front of the pickup, seems to be a slow hit, which probably means she died because her head (no helmet) hit the road.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Most stupid post for some time and that's a big statement. You know nothing of exact details. It states they were attempting a u turn. Most likely illegal anyway you just stay put in your armchair. Judge and jury

I do not know the area at all. My only comment is that the OP says she was making a u turn after coming out of the Family Mart.

I know we have all had experience of m'bikes doing u turns in front of us as we approach. It's so damn dangerous.

Who's to blame? I have no idea but I suspect the U turn had something to do with it.

Very sad.

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a motorbike pull on to a main road from a small soi without the driver stopping first and or not even looking to see if there is a vehicle coming and then moving along at a snails pace, I'd be a rich man. Usually it's been a Thai rider though, just saying...

"Broken Neck".....I should guess she did not receive an adequate diagnosis on scene by the Ambulance crews, that may, or not have saved her....and she was just bundled up and driven to hospital…..hope I’m wrong….yet I doubt it…RIP

Edited by Jiggo