What's the concensus on the chrome door handle/tailgate surrounds?

giddyup

I know some find them tacky, but they do serve a purpose, ie to stop fingernails scratching the paint behind the handle. I must admit on some cars/trucks they can add to the appearance, and even though they are only chrome covered plastic they do seem to hold up well.

post-130068-0-75086500-1450000596_thumb.

post-130068-0-00798500-1450000617_thumb.

They do the job, and look ok. maybe just us mitsu owners.

I saw an immaculate all black Triton a couple of days ago, and the chrome behind the handles and on the tailgate really added to it's appearance IMO. It can be overdone of course.

Edited by giddyup

Under defined accents can look subtly nice....Themed angels/devil/etc with wings - horns look hello kittyish pre-teen chick = For pre-teens....

Some just LOOK tacky/corny .....

Edited by pgrahmm

They do the job, and look ok. maybe just us mitsu owners.

I saw an immaculate all black Triton a couple of days ago, and the chrome behind the handles and on the tailgate really added to it's appearance IMO. It can be overdone of course.
Jeez! Are you American?

No, are you the arbitrator of what is tasteful and what isn't?

Of course not. Different cultures have different tastes. What is viewed as cool in Thailand, US and Australia is viewed as crass and tacky in most of Europe. Likewise, good taste in Europe is not often understood in Thailand, US or Australia. Vive la difference...

Be interesting to know if the same people who think these are tacky are the wearers of striped shirts with checked pants. The ones who look like a TV test pattern.whistling.gif

Edited by giddyup

I presumed you weren't Thai...

Why? The Thais love that stuff, the more they can fit on the better. Still doesn't answer the question as to why you asked if I was American.

Edited by giddyup

laugh.png I had to laugh! They maybe tacky but I prefer tacky to fingernail scratched paint!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't see them as tacky. It's not fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, or rows of LED lights around the headlamps etc.

I presumed you weren't Thai...

Why? The Thais love that stuff, the more they can fit on the better. Still doesn't answer the question as to why you asked if I was American.

Think you'll find the majority love it because it's free the minority that buy it do so to save face, so the neighbours don't think that they couldn't cut a dealbiggrin.png

I always suspect that people put DELETED like this on their vehicles to cover up existing damage.

You'd be wrong. Most of this stuff fits around tailights, door handles etc, it would cover very little and it's designed to "enhance" the vehicle.

I know some find them tacky, but they do serve a purpose, ie to stop fingernails scratching the paint behind the handle. I must admit on some cars/trucks they can add to the appearance, and even though they are only chrome covered plastic they do seem to hold up well.

Putting that tacky stuff to stop fingernail scratches reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents bought a new Rambler station wagon. My dad went out and bought some plastic seat covers to protect the seats. They were miserable to sit on in the summer.

Who was my dad protecting the seats of our car for, and why would I put fake chrome on the side of my car to protect the paint from scratches for the next owner?