New Thai alcohol laws come into effect from January

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is really enforced, it will sadly cause many venues to go out of business eventually.

The thing is, what types of venues does this law affect ? Does anyone have CLEAR knowledge on this ?

And, whether this will be enforced strongly remains to be seen. Some of you are sceptical about its enforcement; but remember the year 2000 (could be 1999 or 2001; not sure), when the 2 am curfew thing for all pubs, clubs etc. started ?! Many people, including me, had thought that, in Thailand, where partying-till-early-morning was common for so many people, this law wouldn't last long or wouldn't be effectively enforced. But, up to this day, the 2 am curfew thing has lasted and has been enforced effectively, at least in Bangkok (with the exception of tolerance shown to very few 'late night' venues around the city).

Edited by JemJem

I can hear the Vietnamese tourism people laughing from here.

Mate, you can freely smoke weed outside restaurants in Viet Nam and get a bottle of Saigon Green for as little as 14 baht and 25 satang. 20 Craven A cigarettes are less than 32 baht.

Getting visas? Walk into a shop, pay 50 USD and after 3 days your passport is returned with another 3 months for you to stay. No going to immigration, nevermind border runs to another country.

People in the service industry, even in cheap restaurants know how to smile and say "Enjoy your meal, sir."

There are kids laughing and playing everywhere. The population is happy and the country is booming.

Plus it's Heaven for anyone with a thing for thighs on bikes....

Darn it, I didn't want to be saying things like this on TVF!

I feel sorry for the small ma & pa shops that have been operating for years just to be told now that with this new law they are basically going to lose their livelihood. Absolutely no use of brains from the people in BKK. Just as Jaywalker mentioned, a simple use of the existing ID checking law and there would be no need for this complete retarded action from the powers that be.

It is 7/11 that will be forced to stop. Ma and PA shops are the go to for illegal alcohol amongst other things.

But didn't they scrap the 300m rule, in favor of something more vague, decided by the police?

As I recall, yes - the 300m was replaced with "near". This thread all seems to be based on somebody revisiting a long past BP story.

But didn't they scrap the 300m rule, in favor of something more vague, decided by the police?

As I recall, yes - the 300m was replaced with "near". This thread all seems to be based on somebody revisiting a long past BP story.

The article linked to in the OP is dated today so it's not some old link being misreported from last year.

I'm in Hua Hin so maybe if I get a chance I'll check out this 'Mondo Vino' place for myself and ask them about the closing.

I've never heard of it before now but I googled it and these came up :

They're on facebook here : https://www.facebook.com/mondovino.huahinthailand

and they have a website here : http://www.mondovino.co.th

This could teach the children bad habits now that they have to jump on motorbike to go for a beer and they might continue like this once they are adults and start drink driving in their cars and cause more carnage on the roads its a loose loose situation for the junta generals.

My condo is right next to a school. So is the shop downstairs within the condo going to have to stop serving alcohol? There is also a few mom and pop stores on the same soi.

Like with most laws I think it will just be ignored.

It will be ignored till a out stretched hand appears periodically. Chiang will go from 32 a can to 35 problem solved.

In the UK I was only drinking 10 pints a day, now i can drink 100 and they love me here!!!!

This will ruin paradise!!!! LOS no more!!!!!

Now I will spend all my time complaining on TV@!!!!!

Worst.......Xmas.......Ever........ what do farangs do besides drink and bars?????? Is there anything else in life??????

coffee1.gif

I can hear the Vietnamese tourism people laughing from here.

Mate, you can freely smoke weed outside restaurants in Viet Nam and get a bottle of Saigon Green for as little as 14 baht and 25 satang. 20 Craven A cigarettes are less than 32 baht.

Getting visas? Walk into a shop, pay 50 USD and after 3 days your passport is returned with another 3 months for you to stay. No going to immigration, nevermind border runs to another country.

People in the service industry, even in cheap restaurants know how to smile and say "Enjoy your meal, sir."

There are kids laughing and playing everywhere. The population is happy and the country is booming.

Plus it's Heaven for anyone with a thing for thighs on bikes....

Darn it, I didn't want to be saying things like this on TVF!

Craven A, that takes me back about 50 years.

Craven A, that takes me back about 50 years.

It is like going back in time coming to Viet Nam. Particularly for smokers. Cigs are super cheap, you can smoke nearly anywhere and pretty much most males do smoke. Women here are used to it so you won't see the common "No smoking man" in their online profiles.

Yes, confusing isn't, first it was 300m then the vague ' near ' and now back to 300m. Still 2 weeks to the implementation date so plenty of time to change again !

Interesting situation in my area as the local mom and pop store is directly opposite a temple and the owner of the store is a very active supporter, regularly out collecting donations etc.

Which calling will he follow, Buddhism or money, maybe he can get some form of special dispensation ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

The moral code of military government is essential to their propaganda machine .

In truth they hold shares in nefarious businesses and enjoy visits to certain places to relax.

But on the face of things must appear moral and appeal to the masses as being righteous .

Not that the masses believe this.

But older generations see codes being applied in school.

And western perversions addressed ( in their minds)

Are told in child like weekly addresses that they are nursing Thailand to a happiness ,moral state that Law and order regain their rightful place.

Wheel out reports twisted on Monks protesting against American decadence outside ""Farang "" embassies .

The rhetoric of Thais are special and we don't understand the reasons.

Slowly but surely such propaganda does take root.

The next phase will be "" why does the west wish to hurt us?"" See sanctions down track.

Suddenly more ultra National dangers .?

We shall see.

But I am sure most of the very wealthy military didn't obtain their lot by simply drawing a wage over the years.

Such a wonderfully planned law (not), that was absolutely unnecessary, and destroys business.

A simple "CHECK ID CARDS" campaign is all that was needed, as in enforcing existing laws.

And they wonder why some folks call them a backwards country.

I guess common sense truly is the most uncommon kind.

Good point and I guess they also sssume that schol kids (and presumably monks) will be too lazy to walk 301 metes to buy a drink.

Talking of Hua Hin does that mean curtains for the girlie bars on Soi Bintabaht (Almsgiving Street), so named because it is opposite Wat Hua Hin with the entire strip less than 300m away?

I remember being told that the bars would be shut down due to the proximity to the temple years ago but nothing happened.

Edited by Dogmatix

Traditional approach of Thai governments, we have have a problem of people drinking too much.

So we impose laws that won't solve the problem and that the police doesn't enforce like people under 20 can't buy alcohol and the limited hours of alcohol sales.

Next step is even more silly laws that probably also won't be enforced or circumvented on a large scale.

LOS = Land of Sobriety. Ive said it before - pure genius - no thai person can walk more than 300 meters outside of a mall blink.png. What a crazy arbitrary law. Rather than address the real issues such as problems at home, truancy from school, lack of social compass, the government chooses to enact a completely non-nonsensical solution with no proven basis in any developed or developing country. Id love to say this is unusual, but its more par for the course.

The moral code of military government is essential to their propaganda machine .

In truth they hold shares in nefarious businesses and enjoy visits to certain places to relax.

But on the face of things must appear moral and appeal to the masses as being righteous .

Not that the masses believe this.

But older generations see codes being applied in school.

And western perversions addressed ( in their minds)

Are told in child like weekly addresses that they are nursing Thailand to a happiness ,moral state that Law and order regain their rightful place.

Wheel out reports twisted on Monks protesting against American decadence outside ""Farang "" embassies .

The rhetoric of Thais are special and we don't understand the reasons.

Slowly but surely such propaganda does take root.

The next phase will be "" why does the west wish to hurt us?"" See sanctions down track.

Suddenly more ultra National dangers .?

We shall see.

But I am sure most of the very wealthy military didn't obtain their lot by simply drawing a wage over the years.

What you have in this country is the "super" clean/pure/religious minority pushing their values on the couldn't give a sh#t, live and let live majority. It is getting ridiculous.

Protesting about a beer company going public, so the company simply went off shore with its share offering.

1.) Banning alcohol sales between 12 to 11 am and 2pm to 5pm. People who wish to drink will still drink, stock up in advance or go to mum and pop shops.

2.) Banning alcohol sales on major Buddhist holidays. The vast majority of people don't go to the temple on these days, enjoy the day off work and have a few drinks with family or friends at home. Stocked up in advance or mum and pop delivery.

3.) Banning alcohol sales on election days so people will go to vote rather than staying at home and having a few. Sorry but since this ban was imposed the percentage of voters has not increased. Those who want to drink on such days will continue to do so. And the argument that booze and politics lead to fighting does not hold water. Politicized drinkers can get into fights any day of the week regardless of whether there are elections or not.

4.) Banning sales within 300 meters of schools. The only people suffering are the retailers. The drinkers will just travel a little further to buy their libations. And BTW the average school student is not finishing class and then heading to the local 7/11 to buy booze before doing his/her homework. a) When school closes for the day it is well before 5pm when alcohol can be sold, and the average school kid does not drink, or at least waits for Friday before hitting the bottle.

The puritan lobby is just too powerful in Thailand, forcing their values on everyone. I feel like telling them to effoff and leave me alone. I do not need to be told how to live my life and have them micro-managing it. And I don't even drink.

Edited by GarryP