Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

Not sure why you had to go 15 km to Nana to go see a movie. Holiday Inn Express at Soi 22 or 24 also. There must be 10 other malls closer to your home. I see everyone complaining about Nana area. If you are a long time resident ( over 5 years) it is easy to get bored of the Nana scene.

Nothing has changed. Same types of bars, Same types of working girls. ( some girls still there just older), I would think that you guys ba-ged some of the same girls 10 years ago.

Same snack (bugs) cart, Same indian dudes saying" you are lucky man " Same Taxi drivers, who don't want to drive to an area with alot of traffic,sitting 45 minutes to make 60 baht. Same old drunk Farang wasted on the sidewalks. The only thing different is you or us !

You like the rest of us ( 12 yrs me) have partied there with 100's of girls ( or Guys ; not that there's anything wrong with that ); and see things differently. I bet everyone of you on Thai Visa today, felt like Brad Pitt, when they first arrived at Nana. Loved the girls and atmosphere.

So now there are new guys, who want to be like Brad Pitt, party enjoy the sights and sound of the Big City. Yes, dirty, yes crazy, etc. etc.

I bet everyone of you when you first came to Nana , could not wait to tell your friends about the great time you had. Most of the bars at Nana

have been renovated of the past two years, but still not beautiful. But who cares ! You go there for 2 reasons. 1. Party, drinking, have fun. 2. Find a smile Thai girl for 2 hours.

For me, I still enjoy going with friends 3-4 times a year. But I go there to have fun; not as a Grumpy old man.

There is someone else sitting on your bar stool, and looking ( or more) at your girl.

And you know what, he does care !!!

Enjoy your weekend.

Well said clap2.gif -- I still " pop in " when I am over that side of the world---as a NOT so Grumpy old man rolleyes.gif

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be one of the dodgy ones, I seem to feel right at home in Nana. Now Patpong, not so much. I enjoy having a variety of places to play pool, and just watch the panorama of interesting sights. Of course, I don't have to live there.

Now that is a hole,Patpong.Walk through once ever 10 years for old times sake,are the memories,free beer for 2 hour, happy hour.

Patpong still has many lovely old bars, pity the customers have largely moved on and the new kids on the block prefer the cod-Irish pubs and the sports bars with dozens of TVs. Just like 'ome.

"Today while waiting for a bus to get back home I saw a bunch of Thai ladies flagging a cab and getting flat out refused by I'd say 80% of the drivers".

That 80% figure is meaningless without knowing how many taxis were involved.

"If you are an Indian customer it's much worse. You'd have to negotiate the price."

Says who? Did you witness the much worse situation of Indians having to negotiate the price? Why is it much worse for Indians to have to negotiate than Thai girls?

I have seen severe racism against Indians in Bkk. One example: I went to one of those money changer windows on the street on SUkumvit. I changed a 100 dollar traveler's check. No problem, quick and easy. Behind me was an Indian man. He was well dressed and very polite, almost self effacing. When I was finished with my transaction and the Indian stepped to the window, the woman inside simply pretended he was not there. He politely spoke to get her attention, she still acted as though he was invisible. She just looked down at her paperwork, and scribbled on it as though there was nobody at the window.

Thais tend to have severe racist attitudes.

I must be one of the dodgy ones, I seem to feel right at home in Nana. Now Patpong, not so much. I enjoy having a variety of places to play pool, and just watch the panorama of interesting sights. Of course, I don't have to live there.

Now that is a hole,Patpong.Walk through once ever 10 years for old times sake,are the memories,free beer for 2 hour, happy hour.

Patpong still has many lovely old bars, pity the customers have largely moved on and the new kids on the block prefer the cod-Irish pubs and the sports bars with dozens of TVs. Just like 'ome.

While soi 1 still has the horrible market and pushy touts, soi 2 has some good bars and has become a popular expat alternative to the usual areas.

You don't 'have' to see that side of Thailand at all. I've been coming here for fifteen years and never felt the need to.

As for the idea that it's part of Thai culture? That's funny.

If it isn't Thai then where did they import it from?? It is unique to Bangkok, in the same way that much of Pattaya is unique to Pattaya. Both are unique to Thailand.

If you've never felt the need to go, well good for you, you would probably enjoy Warrington New Town or Lewisham.

Indeed.

It's not just about a matter of taste, though. London is a hugely cosmopolitan, multicultural city - which means there's an abundance of beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, colours and creeds walking it's streets. A veritable buffet for the eyes, in comparison to Bangkok's rather repetitive diet.

Indeed.

It's not just about a matter of taste, though. London is a hugely cosmopolitan, multicultural city - which means there's an abundance of beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, colours and creeds walking it's streets. A veritable buffet for the eyes, in comparison to Bangkok's rather repetitive diet.

If the same thailand visitors/expats could change women in London 25% of the time compared with bangkok/pattaya they would agree with you...

I can only compare australia,but i'm sure London is way better(population wise counts)than OZ for eye candy!

some like to express bitterness only because of shortcomings back home.....

Indeed.

If the same thailand visitors/expats could change women in London 25% of the time compared with bangkok/pattaya they would agree with you...

I can only compare australia,but i'm sure London is way better(population wise counts)than OZ for eye candy!

some like to express bitterness only because of shortcomings back home.....

For most it's about the availability.

"Today while waiting for a bus to get back home I saw a bunch of Thai ladies flagging a cab and getting flat out refused by I'd say 80% of the drivers".

"If you are an Indian customer it's much worse. You'd have to negotiate the price."

Says who? Did you witness the much worse situation of Indians having to negotiate the price? Why is it much worse for Indians to have to negotiate than Thai girls?

I have seen severe racism against Indians in Bkk. One example: I went to one of those money changer windows on the street on SUkumvit. I changed a 100 dollar traveler's check. No problem, quick and easy. Behind me was an Indian man. He was well dressed and very polite, almost self effacing. When I was finished with my transaction and the Indian stepped to the window, the woman inside simply pretended he was not there. He politely spoke to get her attention, she still acted as though he was invisible. She just looked down at her paperwork, and scribbled on it as though there was nobody at the window.

Really?

I don't see any political parties dedicated solely to the repatriation of non-Thais like there are in Europe.

I don't see gangs of them roaming around lynching farangs

They don't strike me as overtly racist compared to other nationalities like, say, Brits or Italians

Yeah, London beats Bangkok for eye candy for sure.

What????????????????????????

Yep. By some distance, I might add.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

Personally I prefer New York, London, Paris and Sydney.

Bkk wouldnt even enter my top 20.

Really?

I don't see any political parties dedicated solely to the repatriation of non-Thais like there are in Europe.

They don't strike me as overtly racist compared to other nationalities like, say, Brits or Italians

Stick around a bit longer, learn the language and watch the news.

You will be aware of the racist terms they use for each other?

Really?

Learn to speak fluent Thai, and then you will realize the extent of their racism.

I used to love Dublin when I worked there for a few months. Friendly people everywhere and some of the Irish girls are not bad. to look at. Lots of viking blood in the Irish after we invaded them 1200 years ago. .

Really?

Learn to speak fluent Thai, and then you will realize the extent of their racism.

I see

It must be me then

I just haven't seen white people ostracised and barred from entering establishments on account of their race nor have I seen Thais routinely attacking them in the street, in the malls, the high end restaurants, the BTS etc

Or is it only NON-white foreigners that experience this "racism"? After all, they all want white skin don't they? I suppose it would be silly if they were racist towards that which they wish so deeply to emulate??

I know a black Brit who's been living in Bangkok for a decade.

His exact words in conversation about this very topic: "As a teen in London, I experienced more balls out, in-your-face racism in one day than I have in 10 years here." and this guy speaks good Thai

What you people call racism would pale against the real thing that the rednecks in America practice. Dragging people behind automobiles until their heads break off.

That's racism

But! But! They called me farang and charged me a pound extra to enter a national park!

Boo Hoo

I left UK/US/Europe/ Australia because of the political correctness gone-mad but, in the case of the word 'farang', Thailand should make an exception because, to my misplaced Western sense of superiority, it's an inconvenient reminder that my exchange rate wealth doesn't automatically buy me respect.

Which is one reason why I don't want to speak fluent Thai.

yup, the Indian and the snake in the Soi tale still cracks me up. Meanwhile back to Nana, I had a few hours to kill last Friday before going back to Mo Chit for my bus Downing a rather expensive pint of Kilkenny in Hooters and a Guinness in Chequers, very pleasant, not sleazy at all.

But! But! They called me farang and charged me a pound extra to enter a national park!

Boo Hoo

I left UK/US/Europe/ Australia because of the political correctness gone-mad but, in the case of the word 'farang', Thailand should make an exception because, to my misplaced Western sense of superiority, it's an inconvenient reminder that my exchange rate wealth doesn't automatically buy me respect.

I think he was being ironic Sumo.

Good post Agent Sumo. People use the term 'racism' without much thought these days and probably don't know the meaning of 'xenophobia'.

Renting out a house in Pattaya, twice Indians came to look and twice my wife shooed them away without letting them come through the gate. As would most Thais I know. Racism to me. And racism it would be called in the UK if it happened there.

A few seasons ago an Everton fan who called a black French player a "French Burstard" (from far back in the seating) was reported and subsequently banned for racism. Pity he failed to explain that it was only xenophobia. No doubt then all would have been forgiven.

Archived