Nana.... A terrible place to live

theguyfromanotherforum

Full of Old Sad Desperate Men......, and chuck in a couple of ''Chavs''.... the place is the Pits..., avoid it like the Plague...

I have to admit I felt the same. I used to stay at the old Nana--60's-70's, but hadn't stayed there in years until last March. No particular reason, except I had a meeting at the Tavern with an old friend and just grabbed a close hotel.

I am 71, I felt like a young man compared to the others I encountered--and I am sure most of them were younger than I. Having seen enough, I checked out and went elsewhere for the other two nights.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

On Nut is a bit of a dump too. Nothing to see there but herds of cheap farang pensioners grazing their way through the Tesco food court.

You are one hell of a snob, just who are you to condemn "cheap" farang pensioners for eating in a shopping mall food court?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I agree. Ramkhamheang is so salubrious. I'm surprised that it's not on the list at TAT as a heritage site. San Fran pizza place, the seafood places outside to stadium, the skint "teachers" counting up their pennies for a big Leo and the water machines. Real classy area where you will certainly never see "action" of any kind.

I don't live on Sukhumvit either but would prefer it to Ramkanbore, Ladprao or Minburi or any other suburb.

Why live in a big city if you are gonna stay out there in the boonies!

"Those prostitutes are disgraceful" makes some peple sound like Victor meldrew!

Yes, I agree. Ramkhamheang is so salubrious. I'm surprised that it's not on the list at TAT as a heritage site. San Fran pizza place, the seafood places outside to stadium, the skint "teachers" counting up their pennies for a big Leo and the water machines. Real classy area where you will certainly never see "action" of any kind.

I don't live on Sukhumvit either but would prefer it to Ramkanbore, Ladprao or Minburi or any other suburb.

Why live in a big city if you are gonna stay out there in the boonies!

"Those prostitutes are disgraceful" makes some peple sound like Victor meldrew!

On 12/18/2015 at 2:06 PM, SoiBiker said:

On Nut is a bit of a dump too. Nothing to see there but herds of cheap farang pensioners grazing their way through the Tesco food court.

And pray, Sir, what is wrong with farang pensioners doing their own thing?

Does it bother you to see that not all in Thailand are young and whatever?

Like you?

When I compare the above mentioned groups, I tend to favour the elderly, simply because they seem to bother you.

And I like that very much indeed.

On 24/07/2016 at 3:18 PM, johnnygimbo said:

You are one hell of a snob, just who are you to condemn "cheap" farang pensioners for eating in a shopping mall food court?

He isn't a snob, just a fantasist who struggles with life in Thailand so much that he can't even get a seat/table at said food court even with an umbrella.....and has to post about his failure to do so here.....hence his anger at said pensioners....

"Oh my God! I was shocked, shocked I tell you!
I went to a tourist red light district and there were tourists there being naughty!

I had to be revived with smelling salts then go to a meditation retreat to recover.

Of course I am higher level Fallang. I live with the natives, not those horrid tourists.
I have to come here to tell everyone, so they can look up to me and marvel at my superior lifestyle and purity.

Did I tell you how superior I am? No? Well I am, because I experience the real Thailand, with real Thais. I only visit Nana so I can sneer and feel better than others.

Oh, and I Iook down on retired Fallang, backpackers and erm.. everyone else.

Did I tell you how superior I am?"

On 18/12/2015 at 10:37 AM, SoiBiker said:

Yep. It's a hole. Best avoided.

hi SolBiker

comes to "one man's meat is another's poison".

Nana may not be a congenial  residential area but there is something about that attracts thousands of people all the time.it has its own flavour, somewhat different but there are many who like it.

On Tuesday, August 09, 2016 at 10:11 AM, hansnl said:

And pray, Sir, what is wrong with farang pensioners doing their own thing?

Does it bother you to see that not all in Thailand are young and whatever?

Like you?

When I compare the above mentioned groups, I tend to favour the elderly, simply because they seem to bother you.

And I like that very much indeed.

I love the Nana area or used to but now the club's close early - theres little or no nudity in the GoGo bars and the place is being swamped by diversity types who used to stay on their own side of sukhumvit. The market stalls along sukhumvit are closed down during the day leaving behind international corporate logos and dirty streets and walls. The whole area was better as was COA and LOS in general before the you know what. As for living in a village-just a sneak preview of death. As regards to the ageist comments - they should not be tolerated any more than racist comments. It tells a lot about the bigotry of the writer - who will one day be older - but probably not wiser.

I really like the comments here from people who recognise the sanctimoaners and grumpy guts who just ' love the village' and look down on the city and what it has to offer. Their joyless existence is one matter but it is amazing how they love to preach about it whilst criticising Thai and foreigner alike, male and female and their worst  enemy seems to be people over 50 enjoying themselves ...in a food court of all places! This dislike of others  is a reflection of their own self loathing and inability to enjoy life unless feeling morally superior to some one.

17 minutes ago, The manic said:

...the place is being swamped by diversity types who used to stay on their own side of sukhumvit...

Intriguing comment. What is a 'diversity type', and why are they restricted to one particular side of the road?

On 12/18/2015 at 1:14 PM, nidieunimaitre said:

After 3 months in BKK (On Nut, not even the sex district) I realized that I could never live in that concrete jungle.

Next I gave Bang Saen a try for 2 months, but thought it was not much different from BKK - yet friends from Pataya kept telling us how wonderful Bang Saen was, it's beach and relaxed atmosphere.

I was ready to go back home.

Then my wife talked me into going to her home village in Chanthaburi.

Jungle, fruit trees, poor internet, no Farangs, actually few Thais too, mountain view, 20 km to the next restaurant, market at 7 km.

And I lived happily ever after!

Same for Kutchum.

Terrible place to live? Not for me, I lived in the Omni towers for 2 years when I was working in BKK. I knew the motocy drivers, the dry cleaners, the fruit vendors, bar and restaurant owners and their expat following, I thought it was great and when I would walk home from the BTS every night after my long day I felt like I was in a David Lynch movie or at least my own version of Blade Runner as I made my way down the Soi to my spacious apartment high above it all.

But what I loved most and what I tell all those whom would ask me what I thought of it was this, ,....

It's the only place I ever lived where you could decide between pussy and pizza and you can get the pussy faster!

Peace out

On 12/18/2015 at 0:34 PM, Alration said:

"Today while waiting for a bus to get back home I saw a bunch of Thai ladies flagging a cab and getting flat out refused by I'd say 80% of the drivers".

That 80% figure is meaningless without knowing how many taxis were involved.

"If you are an Indian customer it's much worse. You'd have to negotiate the price."

Says who? Did you witness the much worse situation of Indians having to negotiate the price? Why is it much worse for Indians to have to negotiate than Thai girls?

"Why is it much worse for Indians to have to negotiate"    Because most of the taxi drivers are cowboys.

You have the better than thou hypocrite people who say they despise Nana and Pattaya. I'd guess that most of those people have wives and friends who keep these types under their thumbs. Logical types would just not live there and would avoid these types of places. The hypocrite types, mostly bleeding heart liberals would like to deprive everyone else of their right to choose. What's wrong with live and let live?

I don't dislike Nana because I'm a 'bleeding heart liberal', or because my wife tells me too. I dislike it because its a bleak, depressing dump. 

I avoid it for precisely this reason. 

How on earth that makes me a hypocrite, I have no idea. 

Nana is there for a reason. If you want to buy shoes you go to a shoe shop , if you want to buy a car , you go to a car dealership.

People go to Nana for a particular reason and be thankful the same people don't go walking drunk and randomly around your neighbourhood.

Keep it there I say , if I want a quite place to stay and write a book or meditate , I'll look for somewhere besides Nana.

I live out in the boonies of Issan. Many, probably most would not even consider living as I do. On the very rare time I have to go into Bangkok, I can't wait to get out of the city. The same with Pattaya. I just don't care for the traffic, noise, bright lights and crowded places. I have been accused of being trapped in Issan because I can't afford to live elsewhere.  In fact I am in Jomtien right now staying in MY condo. I bought the condo right after I retired. I still have a lot of friends in that area and enjoy visiting with my old friends. Jomtien has also grown beyond my comfort level. Too much traffic and too many people. I see nothing wrong with city people who enjoy living in a city. I'm not wealthy but I can afford to live anywhere in Thailand that I would choose and a city is not a place I would choose. I really like my condo but there are many things I can have and do upcountry that I can't have or do in a condo or in a city for that manner. It's different strokes for different folks and no one should criticize anyone for living where they choose.

3 hours ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

Nana is there for a reason. If you want to buy shoes you go to a shoe shop , if you want to buy a car , you go to a car dealership.

People go to Nana for a particular reason and be thankful the same people don't go walking drunk and randomly around your neighbourhood.

Keep it there I say , if I want a quite place to stay and write a book or meditate , I'll look for somewhere besides Nana.

It's also directly between the center of the city and the area where a high proportion of expats live, so it's not that easy to avoid - especially when it's users parade their catch of the day around the local malls and restaurants.

3 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

It's also directly between the center of the city and the area where a high proportion of expats live, so it's not that easy to avoid - especially when it's users parade their catch of the day around the local malls and restaurants.

Good times. All those depressed guys with their old lady wives with their hair in a bun on holiday looking in envy.

Archived