New Law Totally Bans Alcoholic Beverage Ads In All Media

george

To be honest, I don't mind what they do to protect the non-drinkers, but I do care if it starts to interfere with my drinking.

The issue of not buying alcohol at certain times is a farce because the other day, at Silom Complex, down in the Tops supermarket, I was refused a beer at 2.30 but another guy was at the counter with about 20 bottles.

He was OK. I wasn't. I just wanted a cool beer with my late lunch at the weekend, this guy was potentially ( although unlikely ) going to go and get himself and a few friends totalled, go on a drunk driving spree and etc etc.

It would be more sensible to have the law state no more than 2 bottles of beer ( example ) between those times rather than saying "you can only get yourself completely S**T faced".

Laws are all good and well but they must make sense and do what they are intended. Trying to curb road deaths and improve people's health by stopping a person buying one bottle but allowing the purchase of over 5 litres is just so waay off the charts of sensible law making as to be a complete and utter farce.

It's as if they are saying "we don't make enough money from one or two bottles, so we'll ban it, but if you put a lot of money it our pockets, we'll ignore it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we have not more laws; Thailand has enough laws already thanks. Selectively enforced at best.

How about public awareness programmes on tv (funded by alcohol producers?) that make people aware of irresponsible / dangerous driving habits?

How about similar programmes imparting knowledge on the use and abuse of alcohol, that are not all negative ("alcohol=bad; alcohol drinker=bad person", ad nauseum).

In other words, maybe if you stop treating people like children they may actually start behaving like adults? :o Maybe a bit radical? ....I'll get me coat.... :D

Could we have not more laws; Thailand has enough laws already thanks. Selectively enforced at best.

How about public awareness programmes on tv (funded by alcohol producers?) that make people aware of irresponsible / dangerous driving habits?

How about similar programmes imparting knowledge on the use and abuse of alcohol, that are not all negative ("alcohol=bad; alcohol drinker=bad person", ad nauseum).

In other words, maybe if you stop treating people like children they may actually start behaving like adults? :o Maybe a bit radical? ....I'll get me coat.... :D

Laws designed to protect people from themselves are doomed to fail

I don't see a problem with that in the USA you can't advertise alcohol on tv and I do not recall seeing a poster on the road advertising beer no one is being affected with this law except people who market and advertise the products they will survive

What about all the beer and wine commercials on TV in the USA? No problem advertising it in the states.

Remember folks that buddhism is strongly against alcohol and other vices. I have a feeling that we might be heading on a pendulum in that direction. Remember the dhamma soldiers who helped to overthrow Thaksin. Maybe this is what Thailand needs for itself. Maybe Thailand will care no longer about western tourists, maybe just maybe Asian tourists are more important.

Heard about the militant hindus in India?

Best living advertisement for alcohol must be at the beachside

Every morning I walk and see pickup trucks arriving for a day at the beach.

The bottle of prized whisky is preciously hand carried like it has some reverance. This is paced on the table and all sit around its warm amber glow.

The punters then gradually get hammered and order food and get more hammered.

At this is all before 9AM

Of course then its realised that its a weekday and some work has to be done. So quickly leave the beach - trash bottles plastic bags everything also left - jump in the pickup and take off. a few blocks later they've either hit a dog (no loss), hit another car or bike, killed someone, hit a pole or countless other things, got into a fight etc etc.

the dialogue for this advertisement is "hey you, farang, you drink me too"

"err, thanks but no thanks"

This is all just a warm up for the weekend when they can do the same thing except you have 2 whole days to get absolutely wiped out.

Thailand has a huge substance abuse problem and so full marks for trying to curb it.

However outta sight is not outta mind

Talking to a Tiger beer cheer girl last night, she seemed happy as larry at the prospect of loosing her job, she was getting a fat pay off and seeing as she was so god ###### gorgeous I don't think she'll have much problem finding another one, probably (she said) in exactly the same establishment as she is already working in.

And to you all guys who are like "Does that mean there will be no pipers sign on the baiyoke tower" and "does that mean there will be no posters in bars?" yes guys - I think that is probably what they mean when they say "alcohol advertising ban" ???????????

I don't see a problem with that in the USA you can't advertise alcohol on tv and I do not recall seeing a poster on the road advertising beer no one is being affected with this law except people who market and advertise the products they will survive

What about all the beer and wine commercials on TV in the USA? No problem advertising it in the states.

Remember folks that buddhism is strongly against alcohol and other vices. I have a feeling that we might be heading on a pendulum in that direction. Remember the dhamma soldiers who helped to overthrow Thaksin. Maybe this is what Thailand needs for itself. Maybe Thailand will care no longer about western tourists, maybe just maybe Asian tourists are more important.

Heard about the militant hindus in India?

I don't think the majority of Asian tourists share the same stringent religious or moral animosity towards alcohol and other vices as do the present regime. Just look at all those Chinese, Korean & Japanese tourists puffing, guzzling & boinking away in the LoS.

I think that their "quality" tourists are those that share the same beliefs & values that the present regime holds dear (hence, not always the almighty dollar, euro, etc.)

but for most people , alcohol renders them boring , stupid , obnoxious or violent , or all four , and those are the ones who should be made to drink milk , but unfortunately you cant have selective legislation like that .

I spy with my little eye ...........

............. a good idea for next year's ThaiVisa April Fool's story :o

Never ever seen an advert for "Lao Khao" (white rice whiskey) in any media but around here (Isaan) it is the "locals drink of choice". Available in various sized bottles from about 18 baht up to about 80 baht, this 40% alcohol is responsible for more deaths and illness than just about anything else. Will the advertising ban be effective in improving Thai peoples health? I suspect that it will not in Isaan.

Never ever seen an advert for "Lao Khao" (white rice whiskey) in any media but around here (Isaan) it is the "locals drink of choice". Available in various sized bottles from about 18 baht up to about 80 baht, this 40% alcohol is responsible for more deaths and illness than just about anything else. Will the advertising ban be effective in improving Thai peoples health? I suspect that it will not in Isaan.

Spot on. It is pure poisonous, liver-wasting, junkies piss. Responsible for at least 5 deaths in my workforce here so far, and countless sick days; ongoing health problems, etc.

And they don't need to advertise this <deleted>. Just like they don't need to advertise crack cocaine. :o

If anyone was serious about alcohol control here they might educate the public about this, or maybe try to persuade Beer Chang Co. to reduce the 7% alcohol content? Nah! Its only the upcountry hillbilly oiks dying, so nevermind. :D

Typical style-over-substance; window dressing; knee-jerk; status quo served up as fresh fruit, bullsheizen. :D

QUOTE(PREM-R @ 2006-10-13 11:17:51)

Spot on. It is pure poisonous, liver-wasting, junkies piss. Responsible for at least 5 deaths in my workforce here so far, and countless sick days; ongoing health problems, etc.

And they don't need to advertise this <deleted>. Just like they don't need to advertise crack cocaine.

If anyone was serious about alcohol control here they might educate the public about this, or maybe try to persuade Beer Chang Co. to reduce the 7% alcohol content? Nah! Its only the upcountry hillbilly oiks dying, so nevermind.

Typical style-over-substance; window dressing; knee-jerk; status quo served up as fresh fruit, bullsheizen.

I agree - where I live has the highest %age of liver disease in the world!

I really don't understand people who joke about this.

I very nearly killed myself with it and have seen many DIE due to it, sometimes in horrific circumstances.

I'd much rather they legalised opium, or othert less harmful drugs here in the NE.

They have their priorities way wrong.

And to you all guys who are like "Does that mean there will be no pipers sign on the baiyoke tower" and "does that mean there will be no posters in bars?"

If it saves a few deaths AND keeps that godawful instrument they call bagpipes from ever getting popular in Thailand and neighbouring countries, I'm all for it! :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

The carnage on the roads can only be stopped by tough action against lunatic drivers, who are often (not always) well over the limit.

The laws exist, for this, and speeding, but there is practically no enforcement, especially when 90% of the police go off duty at 4.30 pm out in the provinces.....

Does this ban mean the end of the Heineken Jazz festival which is now a major event in Hua Hin, or the end of Chivas Regal' s sponsorship of the Elephant Polo??

Is sponsorship like this also going to be banned?!!!

The idea that a "quick fix" like this will have any influence on teeange drunks on scooters is utterly ridiculous.

We all lose, if funding from events like those above is withdrawn, and the economy will lose if tourists start to perceive Thailand as too boring. It's amazing to note that Singapore is now moving in the opposite direction.......

Putting up the taxes on booze and spending it on tougher law enforcement, is a much better way.

Lets hope we don't see the next obvious knee jerk action off closing time moved to 12.00 midnight for clubs etc....... Yes it could happen...... !!

Thailand seems to suffer from a strange disjoint between the perceived problem and the proposed solution.

For example, the problem of foreign criminals living here would suggest to me a combination of solutions: criminal record checks for long term visa applicants, checking at immigration against Interpol wanted lists, signing of extradition treaties with foreign countries. The Thai solution: cancel investment visas.

And now a problem which no-one would deny about drunk driving. My solution (agreeing with many other posters) is strict enforcement of the drink driving laws combined with long-term advertising campaigns about the dangers of drink driving and general alcohol abuse. In the sixties and early seventies in England, drink driving was perfectly acceptable to most people, whereas now society's attitude has changed completely and it's very hard to find anyone sympathetic to it. Recent changes to the law enable very severe sentences for drunk drivers who kill or injure. The Thai solution: ban alcohol advertising. As many others have pointed out, there are no lao kao adverts, but perhaps adverts educating people that it isn't the ideal breakfast food would have some effect. Taking the Johnny Walker ad off Bayoke Tower won't!

:o Might I suggest that any new law designed to deal with a social problem be backed with a clear, logical argument explaining how the law will assist with the problem supported by the results of behavioural research by qualified practitioners into the likely effects and the results of carefully evaluated pilot studies in representative regions of the country. :D

New authorities seem to prefer repression to education (Rangoon, er, Bangkok Post had an article today that educational approach to the drug problem will be scrapped in favor of repression).

Either approach seems to be doomed in Thailand. About 90% of motorcyclists here in Chiang Mai ride without a helmet despite (occasianal) enforcement of laws and public ed.

The Mao Mai Kap campaign seems to have some minor effects at least at awareness level.

Problem is, it's not even conclusive that drinking is bad for you.

While smoking and Yaa Baa are outright bad as they immediately screw up your system and synapses, moderate drinking is actually beneficial, not only physically (heart disease) but also mentally (stress relief, socializing etc.).

It's the excessive drinking so popular here that's bad, but where do you draw the line if it's blurred from drinking? As with political change powers-that-be seem to favor a radical approach with much more to come...

I predict nothing will actually happen regarding any of this. The will to implement any new law, or to shore up existing laws seems to lose momentum the farther away from Bangkok it tries to get...

To radically change anything here you have to radically change Thai culture which looks increasingly dysfunctional and obsolete in a lot of aspects. To really change things here might screw up everything you actually love about the place. :o Drink driving notwithstanding, obviously.

How about a ban on western songs on the radio using profane language in the lyrics. I don't need to hear someone rapping the joys <Snip>. When I took this matter up with the offending radio station NEW FM 107, I was told 'if you don't like the music we play, go back to your own country!' This is referred to as Thailand's favourite music station. By whose standards, I wonder. So this is to be the new format of MET 107, is it? Thankfully I make full use of that little switch marked 'OFF'.

Seems a shame though that this modern country trying to be the leader in Asia no longer has an English speaking radio channel!

:o

Examples of profane language removed

Edited by Totster

I can understand bans on tv advertising before 10pm or the baning of marketing the products in certain ways such as in UK, but a blanket ban does nothing on it's own except damage the economy.

It will be a complete waste of time unless it is combined with education and stricter enforcement of laws such as underage drinking and drink driving.

They claim deaths on the roads will be less over new year as a result of the ban, this I very much doubt, people will not just stop drinking just because it isn't advertised. We'll soon see anyway.

Taxation is the best way of controlling consumption along with education.

How about a ban on western songs on the radio using profane language in the lyrics. I don't need to hear someone rapping the joys <snip> When I took this matter up with the offending radio station NEW FM 107, I was told 'if you don't like the music we play, go back to your own country!' This is referred to as Thailand's favourite music station. By whose standards, I wonder. So this is to be the new format of MET 107, is it? Thankfully I make full use of that little switch marked 'OFF'.

Seems a shame though that this modern country trying to be the leader in Asia no longer has an English speaking radio channel!

hmm....my radio has that button....when I turn it, another station comes on. More important...underneath the radio is that little slot....if you put a CD (those shiny disks that you can buy in so-called "record shops") in it, it will play music far better than they will ever play on the radio (if the correct disk is selected...). If it doesn't work, try to insert that disk the other way around. :D

Good luck!

Taxation is the best way of controlling consumption along with education.

It's surely an efficient way. But a painfull one for the masses... of drinkers (and if taxation become too hard, then you create a "prohibition" effect, with a black market).

We have now a government of the "middle way", who want "the hapiness of the people", but apparently on a short time basis (in 1 year, like they say, this government will be gone)...

So, what is the best solution, regarding this middle way ? Ban on ad : it's a good move for principles and it will hurt only people who can afford it (businesses, printing industry, medias).

And of course, it will solve nothing. I mean nothing from a definitive point of view.

I don't know why, I' m feeling more and more budhist... :o

Good suggestion.

We were discussing this at the bar the other night (probably not the best way to start this post)

Anyone from the U.K remember the 'Public Information Films'..... Reginal Molehusband, Meet Mike he swims like a fish.

They were a couple of minutes long at the most. Having the same sort of thing about the dangers of drink driving and safer driving techniques inserted between the adverts in Soaps and especially around the 6pm time slot may have an effect.

A full programme may make most Thais just switch off, but if it is just a few minutes a few times a day, it may just sink in.

I certainly 'learned to swim young man' :o

I remember when I came here, they passed a new law to make it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Over 10 years later - most still ignore it.

All this law will stop will be advertising on tv, cinema, radio and newsapers. There will still be advertising in some form - trucks, sponsoring etc.

Edited by Neeranam

How about a ban on western songs on the radio using profane language in the lyrics. I don't need to hear someone rapping the joys <snip>. When I took this matter up with the offending radio station NEW FM 107, I was told 'if you don't like the music we play, go back to your own country!' This is referred to as Thailand's favourite music station. By whose standards, I wonder. So this is to be the new format of MET 107, is it? Thankfully I make full use of that little switch marked 'OFF'.

Please do not disturb the people at FM107 as you are interfering with the digging of the station's grave.

Best living advertisement for alcohol must be at the beachside

Every morning I walk and see pickup trucks arriving for a day at the beach.

The bottle of prized whisky is preciously hand carried like it has some reverance. This is paced on the table and all sit around its warm amber glow.

The punters then gradually get hammered and order food and get more hammered.

At this is all before 9AM

Of course then its realised that its a weekday and some work has to be done. So quickly leave the beach - trash bottles plastic bags everything also left - jump in the pickup and take off. a few blocks later they've either hit a dog (no loss), hit another car or bike, killed someone, hit a pole or countless other things, got into a fight etc etc.

the dialogue for this advertisement is "hey you, farang, you drink me too"

"err, thanks but no thanks"

This is all just a warm up for the weekend when they can do the same thing except you have 2 whole days to get absolutely wiped out.

Thailand has a huge substance abuse problem and so full marks for trying to curb it.

However outta sight is not outta mind

Screw the environment! It's too much troubleto keep it clean and takes up sooo much space. :o