Russian husband killed, wife seriously injured in car crash in Pattaya

rooster59

It's a disgrace not to put a traffic light there. Hundreds of crossings every day. I see these poor souls having to run across the road, children in tow, as speeding cars won't stop for them. Just honk. Terrible. Far too many accidents right around there.

Then an overhead pedestrian crossing is required, surely the businesses on the wrong side of the street could contribute.

Sukhumvit has too many bottle-necks as it is. I drive through there and it is a confusion of coaches, baht buses and pedestrians. A collection of people trying to make a baht, overloading the songtaews etc. The pedestrians are often looking the wrong way.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all this Ambassador should do this or that talk ?

The problem is not the Ambassador which has been there for years but it has only become a real hazard once Mimosa opened. They did have a traffic light when it first opened but with all the cars lining up to park in front the traffic backed up so they had to turn off the traffic light. At first they didn't have any overflow parking and it was not until the Honda dealer raised a stink that they were forced to open a parking lot in the rear

So if anyone should have to build anything then it should be Mimosa, they are the attractive nuisance that causes the dangerous crossing problem. In the past there were very few business on the Mimosa side of Suk, but once they opened then a whole bunch of stores opened up along side Mimosa, causing even more problems

But there is a safe alternative and that is the pedestrian bridge that people refuse to use, so why all the tears for lazy people who don't want to climb up the stairs to get across the road; don't use the safe crossing, then don't complain about the lack of safety

In the West you are not allowed to build an attraction unless you have an adequate entry and exit plan, but here in Thailand the concept is:

Build and they will come: how is their problem

In the West you are not allowed to build an attraction unless you have an adequate entry and exit plan, but here in Thailand the concept is:

Build and they will come: how is their problem

In a civilized country there would not be a race track/autobahn/freeway plowing through a tourist hotspot.

Arrving by bus on the "wrong side" of Suk. and then try to get over?

Insane.

Has it been reported that the wife is pregnant?

Many reports in the UK tabloids and also a "Siberian Times".

The "driver feld the scene" seemed a blatant lie easily rebutted by witnesses.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-detained-thailand-accused-killing-7050112

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/n0528-siberian-tourist-killed-his-wife-badly-injured-in-thailand-road-horror/

Who owns the Fortuner?

Obviously the British man shown in the reports.

Michael-Ashbrooke.jpg

Edited by Rimmer
Forbidden link removed

Rumors are that Mimosa is on it's last legs. Most crossing the street head to the food stalls just to the left. There are dozens and at night they are packed solid. Hundreds of people there.

An interesting note. I met a friend at Nong Nuch last night, to guide him to a party in Bang Saray. Watching those huge tour buses cross suk to head back to Pattaya was incredible. No light, just inch their way out. And an accident did happen just before I got there involving many cars and scooters. I also heard one happened not long ago with a cement truck that couldn't stop. Just no regards to safety here. A light needs to be added there desperately.

I've said it before but will repeat it , a roundabout will save lifes!

It forces the drivers to slow down . A good example is Jomtien 2nd road / soi watboon . Everyone is slowing down , maybe some local Thais do not understand the concept of a roundabout like we do but at least they have to slow down and wait for passing vehicles . I vote for more roundabouts.

I've said it before but will repeat it , a roundabout will save lifes!

It forces the drivers to slow down . A good example is Jomtien 2nd road / soi watboon . Everyone is slowing down , maybe some local Thais do not understand the concept of a roundabout like we do but at least they have to slow down and wait for passing vehicles . I vote for more roundabouts.

Though it does slow down traffic, not sure it will help pedestrians trying to cross. At times, that part of Suk is jammed with vehicles. Rarely a safe gap for pedestrians to cross. A light is needed.

Same in Jomtien. That roundabout is a disaster waiting to happen. Poorly designed and rules not being followed. But, it's better than what was there before! A broken traffic light. Which they do have at the big intersection south of that, and it works perfectly.

You can put as many roundabouts/lights/pedestrian crossings as you like none of which will make the slightest diffrence we all know lights here especially on pedestrian crossings are for show even if there on red for cars they go through them. Roundabouts a waste of time how will that help people cross???. What is needed is a greater teaching to drivers and pedestrians alike. There is an overhead walk way sufficient in any other countrie but people are to lazy or to stupid when drunk to use it. Simple solution erect a 6 foot high barrier in middle of road to stop people trying to cross therefore making them use walk way it would be easy to make walk way disable friendly would cost less than all the other suggestions.

The best and most effective method to stop or slow down traffic is a large SPEED BUMP. LOL! Install one large SPEED BUMP across Sukhumvit at the crossing and you will see two things happen. Cars losing their entire rear end as they speed right over it; and pile up accidents behind those that have stopped or slowed for the speed bump. You need warning signs posted at least 100 meters away and then a sign every ten meters. But chances are those will be ignored too.

On second thought, I don't believe there is anything practical that would stop the idiots from speeding, ignoring pedestrians and thinning the herd of tourists crossing the road. Which brings us to that age old question?

Why did the tourist cross the road? Certainly not to get run over. It definitely ruins ones holiday.

You can put as many roundabouts/lights/pedestrian crossings as you like none of which will make the slightest diffrence we all know lights here especially on pedestrian crossings are for show even if there on red for cars they go through them. Roundabouts a waste of time how will that help people cross???. What is needed is a greater teaching to drivers and pedestrians alike. There is an overhead walk way sufficient in any other countrie but people are to lazy or to stupid when drunk to use it. Simple solution erect a 6 foot high barrier in middle of road to stop people trying to cross therefore making them use walk way it would be easy to make walk way disable friendly would cost less than all the other suggestions.

I think a walled barrier certainly is an excellent idea. But I can see some of the tourists and Thais climbing over the barrier. There is no good answer to stupidity. Anyway, barriers across the southern USA don't stop the Mexicans. It just becomes another obstacle course.

I think a walled barrier certainly is an excellent idea. But I can see some of the tourists and Thais climbing over the barrier. There is no good answer to stupidity. Anyway, barriers across the southern USA don't stop the Mexicans. It just becomes another obstacle course.[/quote

Has to be at least 6ft high will also stop the bike in cedes in video

Traffic lights work great on this part of Suk. In many years of driving here, I've only seen a few cars run red lights. Jump them? Run through late? A lot. But never ignore them. Traffic stops. At least around here.

The Ambassador is one of the largest hotels in the world. Thousands are staying there right now and walking across "death highway" all day and night for cheap food on the other side of the road, with no light to allow them to pass safely. Very poor way to treat your tourists.

Yes it always scares me to drive thru there (afraid of running over Russians).

They should at least put in a pedestrian overpass.

To be honest Indians are not to careful when they cross the road, they just seem to walk straight into the traffic, notice this around the VC hotel area south Pattaya

Ever been to India ? Try crossing the roads in Calcutta or Mumbai , Pattaya must seem like a traffic paradise to them.

Edited by balo

Drove past yesterday and the overpass was packed with people! Very few crossing the road right in front. Not sure how long it will last.

It will last as long as the renta cops refuse to allow them to cross the road right in front

Nary a one in sight. This was about 1PM. There was one at 6PM stopping traffic to stop the traffic for pedestrians.

Traffic lights work great on this part of Suk. In many years of driving here, I've only seen a few cars run red lights. Jump them? Run through late? A lot. But never ignore them. Traffic stops. At least around here.

The Ambassador is one of the largest hotels in the world. Thousands are staying there right now and walking across "death highway" all day and night for cheap food on the other side of the road, with no light to allow them to pass safely. Very poor way to treat your tourists.

Is it always scares me to drive through there (afraid of running over Russians).

They should at least put a pedestrian overpass.

Quote]

There is a pedestrian overpass, but sadly it's not used. I drove by last night and noticed a police officer on duty, stopping traffic so pedestrian could cross the road.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Passed there yesterday,one person on the overpass ,others just running across the road,when will they ever learn?

Went past yesterday a few times. Nobody on the overpass. I heard there was a very close call yesterday. So now, orange cones are out trying to control traffic....a bit. No security guard helping people cross when I came by at 9PM. Nobody on the overpass.

"cheap food on the other side of the road" I guess you must have enjoyed that as well Craig.

The other side of the road accommodates Mimosa, a well known tourist-attraction and as for the cheap food, the other side accommodates Pan Pan as well.

The junction is secured by Thai traffic lights, meaning: turned off most of the time.

During hotel-guest's rush-hours to "the cheap food", hotel-security or the police secures the junction, but I guess it will stop at some point.

For a "few baht" the hotel could build a food-bridge and the problem is solved.

In Bangkok you'll find foot bridges on all the major roads , but not here in Pattaya, how many foot bridges are there in total ? I can only remember to have seen 2 on Sukhumvit. It would solve a lot of problems and save lifes.

Edited by balo

One of my wife's uncles (distant) runs the fish BBQ place there. Use to get them to go. Not bad. But don't eat there as it's really setup for Russians and their taste. Much better places not too far from here. But too far for the Ambassador's guests if they don't have wheels.

Mimosa is to the right, Pan Pan is also and quite a ways down. Mimosa is rumored to be closing around Songkran. Pan Pan is open/closed/open/etc, and not cheap! LOL Cheap food is to the left as you cross Suk and back behind the shops. Not easy to see from the road.

I've been here 6 years and never seen the lights working. Go by them at least 4-5 times a week, day and night.

There is a foot bridge, but it's rarely used and down to the left about 100M or so. Fixing the light would solve the problem! Easy.

In Bangkok you'll find foot bridges on all the major roads , but not here in Pattaya, how many foot bridges are there in total ? I can only remember to have seen 2 on Sukhumvit. It would solve a lot of problems and save lifes.

I doubt it would very much , i live near Sukhumvit in Banglamung , there is a footbridge there , i doubt if i could count on my fingers the number of times i have seen people on it , i have seen hundreds crossing the road within yards of it .

I doubt it would very much , i live near Sukhumvit in Banglamung , there is a footbridge there , i doubt if i could count on my fingers the number of times i have seen people on it , i have seen hundreds crossing the road within yards of it .

Exactly the same at the Ambassador, there is a footbridge already there (a fact that seems to have escaped many of the posters here) but it is very seldom used.

The foot bridge is about 50 meters from the main entrance to Ambassador hotel then up the steps across the road down the steps and 50 meters back to where most of the Russians end up which is at the 7/11.

The thing ( I suppose they don't know ) is that if they came out of Ambassador and turned left keeping on the same side of the road there is a 7/11 and Tesco mini + some other massage etc etc on the Ambassador side, though have to admit there is more shopping choice / night market on the other side along with Mimossa.

The whole Ambassador frontage is just wrong. It would not be difficult, or even particularly expensive to redesign it, starting by relocating the pedestrian exit to adjacent to the footbridge. Then a slip road and vehicle waiting area inside, rather than outside the Ambassador site. Once you have cleared the waiting and offloading/on-loading vehicles from immediately outside the gates then you seal off the u-turn, OR add some significant and WELL SIGNED speed ramps either side, or fit a large roundabout (with or without traffic lights) and I guarantee you will have fewer fatalities. Then move on top the technical college up the road in Ban Amphur which shares many of the same issues.

Plenty of footbridges, for all the good it does. Probably one at every major junction/traffic lights. Just drive with your eyes open for a change and you will see them. Only works if you put jaywalker proof fences along the median strip.