Friend reports CM Imm Now Wants 800K ฿ to age 6 months. Anyone else?

NancyL

I was told by Immigration three years ago that I needed to have 800,000 baht in the bank for six months prior to renewal. Three years ago I place 800,000 baht into an account, never used that account so no 'money in' nor 'money out' in these past years, and never had any issue with Immigration requesting any other financial information.

Noteworthy that your money has lost 20% of it's value (vs the US$) in those three years parked in a Thai bank. Seems like prices - particularly food prices - have increased almost as much in that time.

The efforts required to comply with the shifting goal posts at immigration are frustrating, and the many dis-incentives for foreign investments in Thailand will eventually bring more harm to the Thai economy. Clear laws, and a functioning and fair legal system are fundamental requirements for participating in the global economy. Duh.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about different rules, or different ways of interpreting rules, is not only confined to Immigration in Thailand

Just look at how the Embassy in Washington DC has certain requirements that the Consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles do not and vice versa

Even reading stories from members located in the UK they deal with the same problem, the rules in London are different than at the Consulates

So you can take a Thai bureaucrat out of Thailand but you can't take the bureaucracy out of a Thai

Good point. How ever it is a very narrow view. You can not take the bureaucrat out of any government and in many cases it is the bureaucrat cau7sijng all the problems.

I was told by Immigration three years ago that I needed to have 800,000 baht in the bank for six months prior to renewal. Three years ago I place 800,000 baht into an account, never used that account so no 'money in' nor 'money out' in these past years, and never had any issue with Immigration requesting any other financial information.

Noteworthy that your money has lost 20% of it's value (vs the US$) in those three years parked in a Thai bank. Seems like prices - particularly food prices - have increased almost as much in that time.

If such things were to bother me, I suppose that I'd be bothered. But they don't. And I'm not. I'm too old to be bothered by small stuff, and it's ALL small stuff...

Unfortunately, I can't go out to CM Imm. myself to observe anymore, so I have to rely on second-hand information.

Why's that?

Believe she is persona non grata now. biggrin.png

Lets hope they don't take it a stage further. I think it would be in Nancy L own interests to keep a low profile especially regarding comments about the immigration Dept.

I wonder if anyone at CM immigration even reads or knows about the ThaiVisa forum.

Post #60 blatantly accuses them of having 'scams they must protect.' There are literally dozens and dozens of "in your face" accusations regarding CM immigration and a nearby agent. Some are subtle and some less so.

What would you students of human nature conclude? Either they don't see the forum or they do and don't give a rat's derrière. Or they see and read all the posts and think...well, I know what I would be thinking.

"Since I can't stop the sanctimonious little cretinous foreign people from mudslinging, I will just have to get my pound of flesh as I can."

By the way, speaking of speakers....today at 3:15pm there were quite a few people sitting around. But one thing that made me smile is that the PA system has the reverb on, so it's this comical voice in a big can echoing around. No wonder some people have trouble understanding the announcements.

And to FolkGuitar, I understand about it all being small, but even if 800K is equivalent to a dropped coin on the street, it's still good to be on top of things vis-à-vis earning at least some interest.

Also this idea from Wuvu2 -- "Noteworthy that your money has lost 20% of it's value (vs the US$) in those three years parked in a Thai bank," might have some traction if Mr. FolkGuitar cared about what his money in Thailand was worth in foreign currency. For me, I live here, and spend baht here. The only US dollar interaction I have is to have some of that stuff sent out to me when I need a financial injection, and right about now, that injection is looking better and better with the current exchange rate.

And I don't care what the rate is with the English pound or the Egyptian pound; I never have anything to do with them.

most of us treat the 800k as a 'sunk cost' and it stays put for years. If you can this is by far the better option

I don't really agree. I think more people spend down and top up annually than just let it sit. Either option works fine under the actual seasoning rules.

most of us treat the 800k as a 'sunk cost' and it stays put for years. If you can this is by far the better option

I don't really agree. I think more people spend down and top up annually than just let it sit. Either option works fine under the actual seasoning rules.

well... I just keep it in an interest account and I don't have to worry about the vagaries of 6 months or 3 months and most farangs I know do the same but I can understand if some folk really need to use it. I prefer to forget it

I wonder if anyone at CM immigration even reads or knows about the ThaiVisa forum.

Post #60 blatantly accuses them of having 'scams they must protect.'

Not anymore, removed plus one nonsense post. Due to end of year housekeeping chores for Thaivisa including the calendar I haven't been able to monitor these closely. However, I have removed a slew of accusatory posts and warnings put in place in the main Promenada topic so I have to question your 'dozens' of comments unless you refer prior to removal. I will be starting a 2016 version of the Promenada topic and the other pinned CM topics shortly with a set of local topic rules.

As for the 6 month seasoning, I suspect it is a miscommunication. If not and someone is confronted with the same then a call to Immigration hotline is in order.

If you are patient, I can refer you to them. biggrin.png

But it's a big job; it will take time.

--------------------

most of us treat the 800k as a 'sunk cost' and it stays put for years. If you can this is by far the better option.

I have to agree with this for myself; no idea about others.

LannaGuy: "I just keep it in an interest account and I don't have to worry about the vagaries of 6 months or 3 months"

But if you are keeping it in a normal savings account, and have 50 million baht or less, you are only getting 0.50 percent per annum (as an individual).

A 7 to 10 month fixed term account -- over 200,000 baht minimum -- now makes 1.625 percent per annum.

If you are talking a lot of money, the difference between 1.625 percent and 0.50 percent is nothing to sneeze at. There are no "vagaries" about rolling over your account (at whatever the current interest is). It takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

Edited by Trujillo

1. I wonder if anyone at CM immigration even reads or knows about the ThaiVisa forum.

Post #60 blatantly accuses them of having 'scams they must protect.' There are literally dozens and dozens of "in your face" accusations regarding CM immigration and a nearby agent. Some are subtle and some less so.

What would you students of human nature conclude? Either they don't see the forum or they do and don't give a rat's derrière. Or they see and read all the posts and think...well, I know what I would be thinking.

"Since I can't stop the sanctimonious little cretinous foreign people from mudslinging, I will just have to get my pound of flesh as I can."

By the way, speaking of speakers....today at 3:15pm there were quite a few people sitting around. But one thing that made me smile is that the PA system has the reverb on, so it's this comical voice in a big can echoing around. No wonder some people have trouble understanding the announcements.

2. And to FolkGuitar, I understand about it all being small, but even if 800K is equivalent to a dropped coin on the street, it's still good to be on top of things vis-à-vis earning at least some interest.

Also this idea from Wuvu2 -- "Noteworthy that your money has lost 20% of it's value (vs the US$) in those three years parked in a Thai bank," might have some traction if Mr. FolkGuitar cared about what his money in Thailand was worth in foreign currency. For me, I live here, and spend baht here. The only US dollar interaction I have is to have some of that stuff sent out to me when I need a financial injection, and right about now, that injection is looking better and better with the current exchange rate.

And I don't care what the rate is with the English pound or the Egyptian pound; I never have anything to do with them.

1. I tend to think that those in command DO know exactly what is being said in ThaiVisa. But... it is a far better strategy to hold such information at bay, to use when 'needed,' rather than simply because it exists. It brings to mind all of the many charges brought against others for comments in Facebook, rather then simply a single charge of defamation.

2. Money, or rather, the lack of interest and attention to it, have always been a shortcoming of mine. So long as I can pay our bills and pay for our pleasures, I have enough. More than that I do not need nor seek. My life is simple that way. It may not be the wisest way to live, but it works for me.

My oldest and richest friend has a net worth of about US$95 million. He would never put money in a basically non-interest bearing account. Neither should you.

My oldest and richest friend has no money and his net worth is measured in his compassion and spirituality. He would never measure his life in money. Neither should you.

Spoken truly from a person with no money. Grats.

My point is that no matter how much you have, it is foolish to throw away gains because you are lazy.

edit: by the way, I have compassion and spirituality. They are not qualities reserved for paupers.

Edited by Trujillo

My point is that no matter how much you have, it is foolish to throw away gains because you are lazy.

your focus on greed is depressing. my point is solely if you have 800k 'don't sweat the small stuff' but I fear this point is lost on you

But you need more than 800K, according to the rules.

Greed? What are you talking about? I am one of the most generous people I know here. I give more money to people who really need it than many. The money I have is mine legitimately earned. I am not money grubbing. I have it; I worked and was clever enough to make it. I don't judge anyone by their wallet. I am not a bargirl.

MY point is that if you have a million or a thousand, if there is an opportunity to invest your money (which might be needed here) why not get the best rate of return?

Who agrees with this:

"I want to invest my money in an account that makes 1.625% per year."

"Jesus! How greedy you are! Please just invest in a normal account that makes 0.50%!"

Or are you a mennonite? Haha.... >..<

edit: by the way, I have compassion and spirituality. They are not qualities reserved for paupers.

well grats! you have a high opinion of yourself and I hope you and your money are happy chasing after that last .005% interest

But you need more than 800K, according to the rules.

Greed? What are you talking about? I am one of the most generous people I know here. I give more money to people who really need it than many. The money I have is mine legitimately earned. I am not money grubbing. I have it; I worked and was clever enough to make it. I don't judge anyone by their wallet. I am not a bargirl.

MY point is that if you have a million or a thousand, if there is an opportunity to invest your money (which might be needed here) why not get the best rate of return?

Who agrees with this:

"I want to invest my money in an account that makes 1.625% per year."

"Jesus! How greedy you are! Please just invest in a normal account that makes 0.50%!"

Or are you a mennonite? Haha.... >..<

yup you are my super hero! you need to display the small sum of 800k and my point is think of it as a 'sunk cost' and to hell with the paltry interest rate 'don't sweat the small stuff' are you 'clever enough' to get that yet?

BTW Mennonites are Christian and I am Buddhist and you are Materialist I think we all know the difference

can we get back on topic please?

My oldest and richest friend has a net worth of about US$95 million. He would never put money in a basically non-interest bearing account. Neither should you.

Right now, I spend almost 3 minutes a year thinking about my assets.

I'll bet your friend spends a lot more time just worrying about his, and how much he'll lose if he doesn't make the correct decisions, hire the correct financial managers, make the right investment decisions, and how he'll suffer at the outcome of the next presidential elections.

As Thoreau said; "I'd rather sit alone on a pumpkin than be crowded on a velvet pillow."

By the way, I think NancyL misrepresented the agent near the immigration office. They are not in the same space as immigration. It is a separate space that is undoubtedly a unique paid for unit in Promenada. If that means anything.

Guess you missed many of the threads that were removed?

By the way, I think NancyL misrepresented the agent near the immigration office. They are not in the same space as immigration. It is a separate space that is undoubtedly a unique paid for unit in Promenada. If that means anything.

Guess you missed many of the threads that were removed?

Promanada Mall is now a sponsor of CM Expats Club so I've been able to have discussions with mall management,

Mall management is not happy with the way the Immigration customers are being treated and most of the improvements you seen have been a direct result of their actions, like removing the animal pen in the outdoor waiting area, opening the toilets early, giving chairs to Immigration for customers to sit, relocating the shops next to the Immigration office, opening the wall between Immigration and the inside retail space and creating the indoor waiting area with the TV that so far, Immigration hasn't bothered to hook up to a system that tells you about which queue number is being served, etc, etc.

My oldest and richest friend has no money and his net worth is measured in his compassion and spirituality. He would never measure his life in money. Neither should you.

Both of you must proud that know so rich

I love to have that very very poor so I can give them money

Giving away the little money I have makes me feel great.

The secret to life is giving away your money when you are alive and need you money but other need it more

The Thai Police are not intrested in what we Frangs THINK.

They make the rules and we jump.

If not then we have the free option to go home, or from wherever we come from.

First time I went to Immigration I watch a guy tell the officer No thats not what I want I want xxxxx.

The Officer looked at his college smiled turned back and told the guy to go away and come back next day.

john

your focus on greed is depressing. my point is solely if you have 800k 'don't sweat the small stuff' but I fear this point is lost on you

He reminds me of my ex sister in law and mother in law. The mother in law died with all that money and the sister in law is well on her way to dying with a lot of money. I have an agnostic friend who says coffin's do not have pockets. He was the owner of the company I worked for and retired a wealthy man. He spends money on needy people. Like he says he cant take it with him.

"The officer showed him a letter that says now funds must be in the bank for SIX months prior to application! "

Well, it would be good if this letter could be produced.

It is truly regretable that this thread --- which was started to get information --- has turned into an off-topic pissing contest.

Focusing on this "letter," I want to ask where is there any posted police order that changes the mandated rules on bank deposits in Thailand. I have seen none proposed and none published. So?

There are various second-hand reports on immigration activities which are incomplete or inaccurate. Some first-hand reports are insufficient in detail.

So much for howling at the moon! How about some complete factual information!