Street Noise-again

bartender100

Mainly for expats that live in Pattaya

I know there has been a few threads about noise recently, but here goes another..

These advertising vehicles that roam the streets are getting out of hand, more and more every week, down my soi in Pratumnak I have counted 14 today, that's while I was in, first one at 9:30am and its still only 6pm

They blast out very high volume music, usually accompanied by an inaudible voice over,boxing, condo sales, night clubs , fashion shows ++++

My point being, what if evey restaurant,bar or gogo advertised this way? they have to put more control on it

They are a traffic burden also as they travel so slowly

I don't remember seeing this in Bangkok when I lived there, except the fruit sellers

signs of the economic times?

And in our quite busy main soi on the darkside they travel in convoy to re-enforce the din.

Our village C'ttee lawyer says nothing can nor ever will be done unfortunately. Vested interests again

My cousin and his wife stayed in pattaya couple months ago, their only complaint was noise,cars parking outside with booming music,loud music from trucks passing all day(,I assume same as what OP is talking about) said they got no peace

Not many cities would inflict this on their citizens and guest, maybe mexico City lol

Pattaya City Hall need to get off their bums on this one and take noise pollution in Pattaya seriously

My cousin and his wife stayed in pattaya couple months ago, their only complaint was noise,cars parking outside with booming music,loud music from trucks passing all day(,I assume same as what OP is talking about) said they got no peace

Not many cities would inflict this on their citizens and guest, maybe mexico City lol

Pattaya City Hall need to get off their bums on this one and take noise pollution in Pattaya seriously

One of the oddest things is that Bangkok is infinitely more quiet than Pattaya-Jomtien. The police in Bangkok take noise pollution seriously, at least in many places, and would never allow the type of noise pollution we are subjected to both day and night. The City really should take action and start fining the offenders.

Duck and put on your hard hat the "love it or leave it" bunch will be out in full force. Their everywhere, their everywhere.

The same reason they can make noise is the same reason there are no warnings about the jet ski scam and the same reason taxis don't have to turn on their meter in Pattaya.

I suggest making more boom boom noises yourself. Then you can look forward to their (the ad trucks' ) arrival....:)

You have to question the mentality/intelligence of those managers who commission this form of advertising. Hiring a man & a van to burn petrol all day whilst broadcasting an incomprehensible message to potential customers made irate by their traffic hold-ups, has to be the dimmest business plan EVER. Even if I could decipher the message my money would go to their rivals who do not antagonise the public.

You have to question the mentality/intelligence of those managers who commission this form of advertising. Hiring a man & a van to burn petrol all day whilst broadcasting an incomprehensible message to potential customers made irate by their traffic hold-ups, has to be the dimmest business plan EVER. Even if I could decipher the message my money would go to their rivals who do not antagonise the public.

Spot on mikebell, yesterday one of the vans was advertising a restaurant in English, due to it being virtually inaudible I could not make out which one, but next time it comes it I will find out who and let them know my feelings.

Airasia has one, as does Pattayatrader magazine

Duck and put on your hard hat the "love it or leave it" bunch will be out in full force. Their everywhere, their everywhere.

It was not me really complaining, but relatives that stayed here a few months ago for a couple of weeks. Constant noise around their hotel when they were trying to relax

Ahh the joys of Pattaya, in trat for 1 night woken at 4 am by dogs barking, then again at 5 am by a cockerel crowing in thai I think lol, oh ya 7 am 2 loud thai women outside my sleeping quarters putting the worlds to rights, going back to pattaya tonight to get some rest, and sleep.

One of the oddest things is that Bangkok is infinitely more quiet than Pattaya-Jomtien. The police in Bangkok take noise pollution seriously, at least in many places, and would never allow the type of noise pollution we are subjected to both day and night. The City really should take action and start fining the offenders.

One day they may. They outlawed these advertising trucks in the 80's in the tourist resort city of Surfers Paradise (Australia). They don't make sense (from an advertiser's perspective) in a large city like Bangkok whether allowed or not.

Although the noise is irritating, the biggest problem with these trucks is the traffic congestion they cause - that could be a reason why they eventually ban them. We can only hope. Right now it's in the too-hard basket along with drainage, hanging wires and jet ski scams... and quite a few other problems which don't immediately come to mind.smile.png

Thais do not react to noise. When I complain, they just stare at me. They only complain if English news is on TV, then its too loud!

Some do. My next door neighbour will react to any noise I produce because I'm Farang. If I was Thai she wouldn't give a hoot.

One day they may. They outlawed these advertising trucks in the 80's in the tourist resort city of Surfers Paradise (Australia). They don't make sense (from an advertiser's perspective) in a large city like Bangkok whether allowed or not.

Although the noise is irritating, the biggest problem with these trucks is the traffic congestion they cause - that could be a reason why they eventually ban them. We can only hope. Right now it's in the too-hard basket along with drainage, hanging wires and jet ski scams... and quite a few other problems which don't immediately come to mind.smile.png

At least they have recently put up a sign on Jomtien Beach that basically states that if you blare music you will be fined 2000 baht. But it is on the far southern part of the beach and not in the middle or near the police station (no idea why). They need to post signs up and down the beach. Yes, the noisy advertising trucks make little sense. Three passed me the other day and it was very hard to understand what the person was saying (maybe, new Sichuan restaurant Pratumnak soi 5). And three in the same place, one right behind the other.......rediculous concept!