Phuket Christmas Eve traffic crackdown slaps 70 with fines

snoop1130

Phuket Christmas Eve traffic crackdown slaps 70 with fines
By Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-03495600-1450963729_thumb.

PHUKET: -- More than 70 people were slapped with traffic violation fines when they were stopped at a police checkpoint on the outskirts of Phuket Town today (Dec 24).

Phuket City Traffic Police Inspector Lt Col Rungrit Rattanapagdee led 20 officers at the checkpoint, set up on Thepkrasattri Rd, in Rassada.

In total, 40 motorists and 17 passengers were fined for not wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike, four drivers were caught not wearing seat belts and 11 were caught operating a vehicle without a driver’s license.

Several other motorists were fined for other moving violations.

“Motorbike drivers caught not wearing helmets were fined B500 each, while the passengers were fined B1,000. Those found driving without a permit were fined B300 each,” Lt Col Rungrit said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-christmas-eve-traffic-crackdown-slaps-70-with-fines-55561.php1

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-24

Wow, 300 baht fine. There's a deterrent for you.

And the drivers should have had their fine doubled for allowing the passengers on without providing a helmet

The worst offence driving without a license had the cheapest fine. As long as your helmet sits on your head your passed over. It should be firmly strapped on. I was a passenger in a car with a Thai driver on Monday when we approached one of these "roadblocks" There were 4 of us in the vehicle our seatbelts fastened. The last cop in the line flagged her to pull over and she just kept on going. Amazing Thailand. I sensed a real game of catch me if you can. I really like the approach they used in our case and in Phuket. Herd all the little doggies into a bottle neck and then wham you get the biggest bang with the least amount of work. Sounds like standard procedure for the BIB here. I listen to the rice rockets roar outside the building as I type this and you would not be able to find a cop for miles around and even if you found one he would just laugh. Operation normal.

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

There is no check for insurance, not even a sticker these last many years,

Police could not care less. Bit differnet in event of an accident, then it's all about who pays the 'compensation'.

Edited by LivinginKata

This passes as traffic law enforcement in the most dangerous place to drive in the world.

Once past the checkpoint, drive insanely as you like because that's it for any traffic law enforcement.

Drive as fast and as crazy as you want. Up to you.

I just try and drive around my little beach community on the scooter. I haven't started the car in 3 weeks now. I'm afraid. sad.png May have to make a Supercheap/Macro run soon. Dreading it.

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

Police could not care less. Bit differnet in event of an accident, then it's all about who pays the 'compensation'.

Its always the farungs fault, regardless of the circumstances and if you argue the point the standard response is, the farung is making problem now.

Edited by FourAces

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

Its always the farungs fault, regardless of the circumstances and if you argue the point the standard response is, the farung is making problem now.

BS. With a first class insurance you will have no problem! They will do the job.

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

Nonsense, it is only the foreigner's fault if he is at fault

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

That just isn't true, at least not from my experience, i have been involved (smashed into) in two accidents and the police (isaan,Surin) went to great pains to establish fault and the Thai drivers were told to pay up.

And the drivers should have had their fine doubled for allowing the passengers on without providing a helmet

Well it is when your daily salary could be 200 baht a day........ You must know nothing about low income earners in Thailand !!

Well it is when your daily salary could be 200 baht a day........ You must know nothing about low income earners in Thailand !!

That's a very good point - loss of a day's pay and more is quite a hit to the pocket.

I wouldn't know. I've been hit four times and they all did a runner. I did manage to catch up to one of them, and it was a drunk Farang woman.

That's a very good point - loss of a day's pay and more is quite a hit to the pocket.

But obviously still worth the gamble of not paying out to be legal with driving licence, tax etc .

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

What fantasy, make believe world are you living in????

Nonsensecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

That just isn't true, at least not from my experience, i have been involved (smashed into) in two accidents and the police (isaan,Surin) went to great pains to establish fault and the Thai drivers were told to pay up.

Not the same in Krabi AoNang and AoLuuk especially if you have an accident with a Muslim, the first thing that happens is the driver calls his family and friends and they call their family and friends, then 100 angry Muslims roll up and all of the sudden its you fault and you have pay up on the spot

If they are on 200 baht a day, I doubt they can afford a motorbike, unless they nick one.

You must know nothing about low income earners in Thailand !!

If they are on 200 baht a day, I doubt they can afford a motorbike, unless they nick one.

You must know nothing about low income earners in Thailand !!

The minimum daily wage is 300B a day to my knowledge , I don't know anyone who earns 200B a day. Personally I don't think 300B is a deterrent either, clearly it doesn't bother anyone. Maybe a thousand baht might make them think twice.

None without insurance?

regards Worgeordie

What fantasy, make believe world are you living in????

Nonsensecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Reality.