Escalator incident at Kad Suan Kaew

Tywais

I was on a rare visit to Kad Suan Kaew to get a xmas present, yes I'm a last minute shopper. smile.png Just stepped on a down escalator when it just suddenly stopped. There was some commotion at the bottom and saw a non-Thai family with two kids. At first I thought one of them hit the stop button playing around but saw one kid hopping around and had a terrible thought of another news story in the making.

Began walking down the escalator with everyone else and looked around for a security guard for assistance. Nearly at the end I saw a small tennis shoe wedged between the wall of the escalator and the escalator track and a security guard meandering over to see what the fuss was about. Kid was hopping around on one foot, but he was intact. I asked the family if he was ok and they laughed and said he was.

Apparently there must be a safety feature in the escalator that detects a jam or this could have been quite serious. Ever since that terrible accident in Bangkok where the young girl got her head caught between the escalator and the wall signs have been put on all escalators not to allow unaccompanied children on them.

Just a heads up to be watchful of your kids when riding them.

The signs in the west say something like "grab child's hand on escalator." I've noticed some herds of fat farang families at KSK over the last few days. They really need to leash the children. Some idiot let his little brat shine a laser pointer right in my eyes, while I was sitting at a bar on MM. I still regret not breaking the father's arm, and holding the kid's head in the moat water until he became very familiar with Jesus.

When 12 years old, I was traveling on the London Underground, arrived at Mansion House station and stepped foot on the downward escalator or moving stairs as I called them as a kid. Made of wood in those days. There was a man in front of me wearing a suit and bowler hat holding a briefcase, probably an office worker. This was during the 1960s. Then the man began to wobble and suddenly collapsed, he fell down the whole flight of the escalator ending up as a heap at the bottom with the escalator still moving. I ran down to look at the man then a crowd of people gathered around him. He looked like he was dead, maybe a heart attack or something. Station staff moved us out of the way.

Never forgot that terrible scene, especially as a kid. I`ve had a fear of escalators ever since.

I recently read a report concerning the safety of soft shoes vs escalators. It seems that several styles of soft rubber/plastic shoes are able to get squeezed down by the weight of the wearer and trapped between the moving belt of the stairs and the side-wall of the escalator. Keep your feet (and your children's feet) towards the center of the step for safety.

A couple of years ago a young man in Nottingham lost two or three toes from a faulty escalator. As he reached the top, part of the metal guard rail beneath which the escalator moves was missing, he wasnt paying attention and his foot literally went into the mechanics of the thing. Ouch! He was badly injured, the escalator in question is now a staircase and the company who owned the escalator ( a small shopping mall) was prosecuted and very heavily fined.

When 12 years old, I was traveling on the London Underground, arrived at Mansion House station and stepped foot on the downward escalator or moving stairs as I called them as a kid. Made of wood in those days. There was a man in front of me wearing a suit and bowler hat holding a briefcase, probably an office worker. This was during the 1960s. Then the man began to wobble and suddenly collapsed, he fell down the whole flight of the escalator ending up as a heap at the bottom with the escalator still moving. I ran down to look at the man then a crowd of people gathered around him. He looked like he was dead, maybe a heart attack or something. Station staff moved us out of the way.

Never forgot that terrible scene, especially as a kid. I`ve had a fear of escalators ever since.

Witnessed my Grandmother fell down the whole flight of escalator 30 years ago. Luckily she didn't died from the fall. But since then I have to hold on to the escalator handrail whenever I'm onto one.

I don't believe anyone was "cut in half" by an escalator.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/27/china/chinese-mother-killed-escalator/

"Two other mall employees try to drag Xiang out, but within a few seconds, she disappears through the hole into the escalator shaft.

Despite a four-hour rescue operation at the upscale AZG Mall in central China, firefighters declared Xiang dead when they finally cut the escalator open and found her body Sunday afternoon, state media reported."

Edited by LannaGuy