• SoiBiker
    • Transam
    • villagefarang

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy Chef, you've undoubtedly catered enough big events to see that often the conversation can be shallow, but I've also seen important contacts made and new friendships struck that can turn into lifelong bonds.

One of the things we do with CEC is a twice-monthly Breakfast Club that is very popular with newly arrived CM retirees. Many show up early, as eager as a kid on the first day of school. If I don't recognize someone, I'll ask "how long have you been in Chiang Mai" and often they'll say less than a week and when I ask if they plan to stay, they say yes, they just started retirement. These folks are eager to meet new people, find a place to live, learn how they can set up a bank account, find out what other older expats do for health insurance, where to study Thai language, etc, etc. The little Welcome Committee that hangs around at the entrance to the restaurant takes the newbie into the restaurant and tries to seat them at a table with friendly folk, usually of the same nationality, to get the conversation started so the newbie can find answers to his/her questions from real expats and not someone out to sell something.

The restaurant where we have the breakfast is big and the event is a buffet, so people get up, move around and mingle from table-to-table. There's one area where people go if they want to have private conversations and not be bothered by newbies. That's OK, after all. Some people have all the friends they care to have and just want to enjoy breakfast with their mates and not have someone pestering them with questions about where they live or bank.

So, while this twice monthly event is large, the conversations are far from shallow. I'm always gratified when at the close of the event, I'm sitting at the table by the door, saying good-bye (and reminding people to take off their name tag so they don't look like a dork on the street) and I see people who arrived alone leaving with a few new friends to explore something in Chiang Mai together.

As stated before...god bless you what you are doing in your club....I am just a loner( just my family and me and on rare occasions some friends)...

Tranny, good job sucking in your tummy before you let someone take your photo. But, you really should let your wife powder the top of your head, too. It would keep the glare from reflecting into the camera.

Thank you for your kind thoughts......thumbsup.gif

Noted, well we do post to help folk eh...Dee ma......Rock On....clap2.gif

There also seems to be a spelling mistake on the T-Shirt..................the "w" is missing............sorry I know......... just couldnt help myselflaugh.png

I was just wondering, how many active members are there on Thaivisa Forum these days, anyone know?

I was beginning to wonder the same thing. I seem to remember JT winning last years POTTY with something like 600 votes and me coming in second with around 400, but I seem to have selective recall.

I hunted up the old thread (thank you Dr. Google, because the TV search function isn't worth sh@t) and found that, in truth, JT won with 173 votes -- after a vigorous campaign that he took to the streets of Pattaya and I was a distant second with 143 votes. Hubby and I had gone to Bangkok for Christmas to do some campaigning, but that obviously didn't buy me much.

The rules were different last year and didn't seem to change as often (again, I could have selective recall here). As I selectively recall, the field was narrowed down as the contest progressed, but the votes for the top of the pack weren't cruelly wiped out as they have been this year. Thus, JT, I and the other leaders didn't have to keep pestering our supporters to vote YET AGAIN for us like we have to do this year.

I did find an update of the leader board for Christmas Day 2014: JT: 69; Me: 65; and Costas 55. Hmm, looks like we're not drumming up as much interest this year.

But, please let's stick with not having any photos of kids this year, 'K? It's one thing to pimp out your pets and cars, but your kids, come on?

I was just wondering, how many active members are there on Thaivisa Forum these days, anyone know?

There is less than a handfull active Chiangrai residents who post on the Chiangrai forum,

Most of gone elsewere.

I wonder why?

But, please let's stick with not having any photos of kids this year, 'K? It's one thing to pimp out your pets and cars, but your kids, come on?

It's a bit late for that. At least a couple of candidates have already posted them.
I bag your pardon!!! I don't PIMP my son,he is the most important part of my life...though for pimping I give you this...post-160354-0-33486500-1451201654_thumb. Edited by Crazy chef 1

So it's midnight, last minute of the year, seconds to the new year, POTY has just been revealed, shock and amazement...Trans is on one side of the bar New Year venue, Nance on the other...There eyes lock, mouths move in silent conversation....Will there be hassle, not sure, TVF members brace themselves for a confrontation......

But no, their stare intensifies, lips move, stare is locked, strangely their lips move in silence to the same song.....It's..

wub.png

Big assumption there....anyone could yet win....its not a sprint!

It's a bit late for that. At least a couple of candidates have already posted them.
I bag your pardon!!! I don't PIMP my son,he is the most important part of my life...though for pimping I give you this...attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Crazy Chef, you really do need to figure out how to rotate your photos before posting. I get dizzy and almost fall out of my chair when I look at them. I guess I didn't scrutinize the one with your son long enough the see him. Too busy looking at the rest of scenery before I had to tilt my head upright. (Dud, I guess I could rotate the laptop 90-degrees)

OK, OK, just ONE photo of me with my son. It's a little dated, however:

post-68373-0-87007000-1451202264_thumb.j

I bag your pardon!!! I don't PIMP my son,he is the most important part of my life...though for pimping I give you this...attachicon.gifimage.jpeg
Crazy Chef, you really do need to figure out how to rotate your photos before posting. I get dizzy and almost fall out of my chair when I look at them. I guess I didn't scrutinize the one with your son long enough the see him. Too busy looking at the rest of scenery before I had to tilt my head upright. (Dud, I guess I could rotate the laptop 90-degrees)

Sorry Nancy but I am not too computer savvy...just click on them and they will appear in the correct perspective...

OK, OK, just ONE photo of me with my son. It's a little dated, however:

attachicon.giffirst born.jpg

Holy hell...respect Nancy...

Are you saving the broccoli photo for special occasions CC? It is a good one.

Tranny, good job sucking in your tummy before you let someone take your photo. But, you really should let your wife powder the top of your head, too. It would keep the glare from reflecting into the camera.

There also seems to be a spelling mistake on the T-Shirt..................the "w" is missing............sorry I know......... just couldnt help myself:lol:

One thing I just love about retiring here is getting to know people from different English-speaking cultures. It's broadened my vocabulary immensely. I hear an unfamiliar word that sounds vaguely like it's crude or a swear word and Dr. Google helps me out. Soon I find an opportunity to use it in my everyday conversation. That's the ticket to continuing to grow your vocabulary, you know. Use it or lose it.

Are you saving the broccoli photo for special occasions CC? It is a good one.

This one was taken for a food magazine when they published a story about me and my work....

There also seems to be a spelling mistake on the T-Shirt..................the "w" is missing............sorry I know......... just couldnt help myself:lol:
One thing I just love about retiring here is getting to know people from different English-speaking cultures. It's broadened my vocabulary immensely. I hear an unfamiliar word that sounds vaguely like it's crude or a swear word and Dr. Google helps me out. Soon I find an opportunity to use it in my everyday conversation. That's the ticket to continuing to grow your vocabulary, you know. Use it or lose it.

And what about the poor chaps of non English- speaking cultures???

Btw did you know that South African people call a traffic light a robot and a hang over a barbie?