297 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your ONE top choice for Thaivisa POSTER OF THE YEAR 2015

• Crazy Chef 1
    • NancyL
    • SoiBiker
    • Transam
    • villagefarang

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm happy to consider answering any questions members might have for me.

Favourite soi or circuit to ride?

The one that leads to wherever I want to go. My bike is a mode of transport, not a toy, and Bangkok is hardly a Mecca of recreational cycling in any case.

What toys do u prefer to play with?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to consider answering any questions members might have for me.

Favourite soi or circuit to ride?

The one that leads to wherever I want to go. My bike is a mode of transport, not a toy, and Bangkok is hardly a Mecca of recreational cycling in any case.

What toys do u prefer to play with?

My cameras. My guitar. My car, but sadly I had to leave that particular toy in the UK.

Mostly, though, I prefer to explore the world around me than get too hung up on possessions.

And for:

CrazyChef. What are the advantages of owning a stainless-steel duck-press?

VillageFarang. Do you mind being called a farang?

Nancy. Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

I understand there are those who get their panties in a twist over the term Farang, but I am not one of those individuals. When I was trying to come up with an online identity to represent my new life far from Bangkok in the natural splendor of Chiang Rai, Village Farang just seemed to fit. I understand the nuances of Thai language and custom enough to treat each person and situation individually without a blanket response of resentment or condemnation. Small people walk around with a chip on their shoulder seeing the worst in others. It is easy to be critical and negative when you are insecure but I don't suffer from that condition. I embrace my farangness and don't apologize for using it in my online name.

I thought the name just meant you were the Village Psidium guajava

And for:

Nancy. Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

I understand there are those who get their panties in a twist over the term Farang, but I am not one of those individuals. When I was trying to come up with an online identity to represent my new life far from Bangkok in the natural splendor of Chiang Rai, Village Farang just seemed to fit. I understand the nuances of Thai language and custom enough to treat each person and situation individually without a blanket response of resentment or condemnation. Small people walk around with a chip on their shoulder seeing the worst in others. It is easy to be critical and negative when you are insecure but I don't suffer from that condition. I embrace my farangness and don't apologize for using it in my online name.

I thought the name just meant you were the Village Psidium guajava

Just shows how little you know.tongue.png

A few brief questions..

Hey Trans. If a Justin Bieber fan is called a Belieber, is a Trans fan called a Transceiver?

SoiBiker. If you peg a playing card to your bike wheel so that it gets caught by the spokes, does it really sound like a motorbike?

attachicon.gifbikecard.jpg

Oui, ask me tomorrow, 3 beers down now...........laugh.png

HEY!....In a previous post you sprouted something about honesty....So tell the truth....You have had at least 6 beers down by then, right? 14:10

It's now 16:10...I suppose you cant kind the keyboard by now....surprise me.cheesy.gif

And for:

Sipi, thank you for giving me an easy question.

There are some problems in physics which are either fundamental theoretical problems or theoretical ideas which lack experimental evidence and are in search of one, or both as most of them are. It is thought that the full theory of quantum gravity should be capable of answering most of those problems, but it remains to be proven.

Can quantum mechanics and general relativity be realized as a fully consistent theory (perhaps as a quantum field theory)? Is spacetime fundamentally continuous or discrete? Would a consistent theory involve a force mediated by a hypothetical graviton, or be a product of a discrete structure of spacetime itself (as in loop quantum gravity)? Are there deviations from the predictions of general relativity at very small or very large scales or in other extreme circumstances that flow from a quantum gravity theory?

The theory of LQG is one possible solution to the problem of quantum gravity, as is string . There are substantial differences however. For example, string theory also addresses unification, the understanding of all known forces and particles as manifestations of a single entity, by postulating extra dimensions and so-far unobserved additional particles and symmetries. Contrary to this, LQG is based only on quantum theory and general relativity and its scope is limited to understanding the quantum aspects of the gravitational interaction. On the other hand, the consequences of LQG are radical, because they fundamentally change the nature of space and time and provide a tentative but detailed physical and mathematical picture of quantum spacetime.

Presently, no semiclassical limit recovering general relativity has been shown to exist. This means it remains unproven that LQG's description of spacetime at the planck scale has the right continuum limit (described by general relativity with possible quantum corrections). Specifically, the dynamics of the theory is encoded in the hamiltonian constraint, but there is no candidate hamiltonian

Other technical problems include finding off-shell closure of the constraint algebra and physical inner product vector space, coupling to matter fields of Qunatum fieldtheory fate of the renormalization of the gravitonin pertubation theory that lead to ultra violet divergence beyond 2-loops.

While there has been a recent proposal relating to observation of naked singularites,

and doubly special relativity as a part of a program called loop quantum cosmology there is no experimental observation for which loop quantum gravity makes a prediction not made by the Standard Model or general relativity (a problem that plagues all current theories of quantum gravity). Because of the above-mentioned lack of a semiclassical limit, LQG has not yet even reproduced the predictions made by general relativity.

An alternative criticism is that general relativity may be an effective field theory, and therefore quantization ignores the fundamental degrees of freedom.

In other words, I'm still working on it. Get back to me in a couple weeks, Sipi.

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy......Now I need a drink !!!!biggrin.png

A little sample of holiday home cooking. Hope everyone has had a chance to overindulge during this festive time.

Happy%20New%20Year%20%20002.jpg

VF, are you sure you didn't download this from the internet? A CR friend told me she absolutely could not find any turkeys in the stores for Thanksgiving. Were they a little late this year and flocked in for Christmas? Did you have to cash in your retirement savings the way we did here in Chiang Mai to afford one?

Edit: Just realized this is a photo of a roast chicken, taken at a really good angle. Hubby just returned from CR with Mr. Bitey and he clued me in.

My vote has gone to VillageFarang,

Why?

Well, a few of the others are actually good friends. But I have never heard of VillageFarang. Is he the quiet achiever, the dark horse? So far I am enjoying his honesty and input. Even if he doesn't win, I am still glad he has been nominated.

That is what this thread is all about.

Why?

Well, a few of the others are actually good friends. But I have never heard of VillageFarang. Is he the quiet achiever, the dark horse? So far I am enjoying his honesty and input. Even if he doesn't win, I am still glad he has been nominated.

What a wonderfully nice thing to say.wai.gif

Mr. Bitey is back! He and Hubby won't talk about how they did it. Hubby left this morning to rescue Mr. Bitey. Hubby of course, like so many Chiang Mai expats is modest about his past, but he's ex-Delta Force, Navy SEAL, SAS, and SASR. And Mr. Bitey, in one of his former lives, served in the Middle East. So, it's just natural that those two could team up and overpower the VillageFruit, his drooling Golden Retriever and witless white cat:

^You aint won the POTY yet either:rolleyes:

Just saying IF I win, I can truthfully promise not to install any more mirrors in the condo.

Is this the kind of wit, wisdom and insight we hope for from the POTY?

Lord help us.

Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!! what Lord????

I'd like to announce I'm offering my full-hearted support to 'Null vote'. The finest of the options on offer.

Null vote for the win!

Interesting nihilistic tactic.

I like it!

Actually, I think NULL VOTES can easily be tabulated so you might be on to something.

Whether or not NULL VOTE can actually be officially crowned Poster of the Year in this years THE POTTIES is really something unprecedented and in case NULL VOTES actually do get the highest number of votes, it will be a kind of "constitutional crisis" and at the very least the Milwaukee Committee will be doing some all nighters.

To add, during the NOMINATION phase, I did nominate THE IGNORE LIST to compete for the POTY award but the powers that be at that time did not choose to include THE IGNORE LIST on the initial POTY RUNOFF voting poll, so we'll really never know!

Edited by Jingthing

POTY 2015 GRAND FINALE STANDINGS

NancyL 38 votes

Transam 34 votes

Null Vote 26 votes

SoiBiker 12 votes

villagefarang 13 votes

Crazy Chef 1 9 votes

The Potties Committee in Milwaukee thanks you for voting.

POTY WINNER is crowned at midnight 30 December.

__

Potentially EARTH SHAKING and HISTORICAL development in the POTY contest.

Null Vote is a REAL contender!

Now in a very sold THIRD PLACE.

Edited by Jingthing

Why?

What a wonderfully nice thing to say.wai.gif

It's what many of us are about....thumbsup.gif

POTY votes can be bought, friends can't. thumbsup.gif

I have to be honest about this.

Yes you are free to vote for NULL VOTE.

Yes, NULL VOTE might end the contest in first place based on votes.

But, BE WARNED, voting NULL VOTE could indeed be a totally wasted vote, as the Milwaukee Committee might (or even probably) rule that NULL VOTE is ineligible to be crowned POTY winner. In which case, of course, the candidate with the second highest number of votes would actually be crowned.

Edited by Jingthing

I'd like to announce I'm offering my full-hearted support to 'Null vote'. The finest of the options on offer.

Null vote for the win!

Interesting nihilistic tactic.

I like it!

Actually, I think NULL VOTES can easily be tabulated so you might be on to something.

Whether or not NULL VOTE can actually be officially crowned Poster of the Year in this years THE POTTIES is really something unprecedented and in case NULL VOTES actually do get the highest number of votes, it will be a kind of "constitutional crisis" and at the very least the Milwaukee Committee will be doing some all nighters.

To add, during the NOMINATION phase, I did nominate THE IGNORE LIST to compete for the POTY award but the powers that be at that time did not choose to include THE IGNORE LIST on the initial POTY RUNOFF voting poll, so we'll really never know!

JT -- if the Milwaukee Committee is keeping the same hours as you, it would seem they're doing all nighters already.

I think a STRONG PRECEDENT against recognizing NULL VOTE as the winner is that THE IGNORE LIST was never entered on the first VOTING list even though it was LEGITIMATELY nominated. That indicates that ABSTRACT SOFTWARE FEATURES are not actually eligible to be crowned. If IGNORE LIST is out, and it was rudely ignored, so should NULL VOTE be. Personally, I would have allowed THE IGNORE LIST to be voted upon. But this is much bigger than my personal desires.

So my frank advice to voters hoping for a NULL VOTE win is that most likely, your hope will be in vain as such a win probably won't be officially recognized.

Edited by Jingthing